PDA

View Full Version : Need some serious help

gazzer55
04-25-2006, 02:55 AM
I finally received all my parts and installed everything (hyperion 6000, Mamba ESC, Hitec Receiver, Hitec 81MG servo and Jr XR3 transmitter) and the car goes in reverse and forward well but the steering is not working at all. At first the steering worked however when I turned right it went left and vice versa and the range of motion was limited. Now when I turn the car on the wheels turn all thw way right and remain there and the car steering doesn't work at all. I currently have the steering servo plugged into channel 1 on the receiver with the black wire on the far right and the yellow on the left. The steering servo is also getting quite hot so i'm assuming somethings hugely off. Do I have things plugged in wrong???? I have tried all the various ways and nothing changes. Could someone please help I just want to drive this buggy after all this wait!!!!
Thanks

over_powered_rookie
04-25-2006, 04:58 AM
the servo shouldnt be getting hot,id say your problem is the servo,did you unhook the servo arm and then power up to see if the servo is working correctly...may have jumped splines if you had wrong arm/saver installed

gazzer55
04-25-2006, 05:28 AM
I took off the servo arm and the saver and after powering up the car the servo just buzzes and doesn't turn at all. Why could this be??? The servo is brand new.

over_powered_rookie
04-25-2006, 07:35 AM
will the servo manually move with the car turned off?

gazzer55
04-25-2006, 01:13 PM
Yes it will. Once I turn on the speed control the horn will just drop to the one side and it cant move. I had it working for a second where it would turn left and right however the motion was not consistent and the servo was buzzing and almost vibrating then after about to second it just locked to the one side again. Has anyone had this happen to them???? Could it be that my steering trims are way off???

arsehoyle
04-25-2006, 02:05 PM
sounds like either your tx settings are way off or your servo has a problem with its potentiometer (this is the component inside the servo that acts as a positioning sensor). usually if your servo is drawing a lot of current (getting hot) and swinging to one side and staying it's a pot problem. however a quick way to check might be to connect it to channel 2 of your rx and see if the throttle trigger will operate it at all.

ok. the good news is tha hitec is very good at fixing or replacing their servos. some guys i know have sent them melted disassembled piles of crap and got back a brand new shinny working servo! btw the black (or brown) wire always goes to the edge of the rx thats closest to the connector

hope this helps in some way and welcome to the money hole.

gazzer55
04-25-2006, 05:32 PM
Haha money hole is right. This things cost a pretty penny so far but i think it will be worth it if it ever gets running. I'm still at a loss with the servo but I plugged in my old servo and it seemed to be turning ok but it would turn more in one direction than it would in the other. Here are my transmitted settings, maybe I am way off with something which is why the 81MG might not be working.
STT +25
THT +20
STL 60
D/R STM 100%
SB Trim 0
STL 70
STR 70
TRV ADJ FWD 100
TRV ADJ BRM 100
My transmitter is a JR XR3 and I have a red HItec receiver. Any suggestions are welcome!

gazzer55
04-25-2006, 06:25 PM
I just took it outside and ran in on the street and I cannot believe how fast this thing is. I knew it was going to be fast with the hyperion but WOW :) I have the servo somewhat working but for some reason no matter how I position the horn it wont trun left as much as it turns right. I turned the trim for the left way up and theyre comparable but i'd like to get it so they turn an equal amount with equal trim. Any suggestions????

arsehoyle
04-26-2006, 02:24 AM
Yeah the brushless setups are really fast! I didn't realize how fast until a drag raced my buddy with his nitro LST2. I SMOKED HIM!

Annnyway...try adjusting your sub trim (SB-TRM ST) so that your steering trim (STT) can be set at 0. If that doesn't help try increasing your left end point (TRVADJ STL). You probably already know this but I've noticed a lot of people don't realize that you have to turn the steering wheel to the left (display reads STL) or right (display reads STR)while making adjustments in TRVADJ mode to individually adjust each side.

It would be interesting to see if the servo, while out of the car (I know you dont want to pull it out) turns an equal amount in each direction. If it does then you've either got some kind of steering geometry thing going on or some linkage binding to the left maybe.

Let's get this thing worked out!!! :)

FHM101
04-26-2006, 03:15 AM
While I may seem an obvious question, did you power up your servo before you attached the horn? Have you tried resetting all trims and subs to zero then power up the servo and attache the horn? On your EPA settings, run them both down to about 30% or so before you connect everything, then once you get it all hooked up, turn the wheel left and run the EPA up until the servo starts to buzz, then back it off until it stops and do the same for the other direction. A more accurate way is to start with your EPA low and run it up until the steering reaches it's physical limit, then back it off a couple of points. Do each side individually, it's a rare thing for both EPA settings to be the same.

gazzer55
04-26-2006, 06:01 AM
I took the servo out and took the casing apart and when looking at the gears when I turn it left it only moves a few teeth but moving it right has a good motion. I reset the B switch near the trigger to 100 (the factory setting is 70) and increased the left throttle trim higher and now it seems to be rotating an equal amount in both directions. I Have to wait till the batteries are charged so tomorrow I will put the servo back in and see how it works.