PDA

View Full Version : Best Brushless for Off-road?

ChrisOFNA
04-20-2006, 02:53 AM
Hello Guys,

I'm getting a Mini Inferno for my birthday, and I was wondering: What would be the best motor set-up for a Mini Inferno running a rough off-road track? And if you guys know a place to get a 11.1 lipo id like to know too. I't doesn't have to have alot of mah, i just want to race 3 5 min races with charging in between. Even though the post say brushless I'm open to cheaper brushed options.

I know alot of people talk about the AON 4900, what amperage ESC would I have to use for that?

Chris

BiGRoB21
04-20-2006, 03:36 AM
i run the mamba 25 esc with the aon 4900 motor with a 14t pinion and a thunderpower 1320 3 cell lipo on a 8th scale track. it is sick fast gets a good 13-15 mins of run time and has alot of torque.

over_powered_rookie
04-20-2006, 06:37 AM
seems to be alot of mamba lovers on here,personally im a tekin guy...i have a brand new mamba 25 esc for sale or trade,i bought the kit and used just the motor...hasnt even had anything soldered on it,i got a good deal at my LHS because it was a factory refurb unit

Crusher
04-20-2006, 11:58 AM
How much for the Mamba esc? I'm quite interested.

Matthew

BiGRoB21
04-20-2006, 03:30 PM
there is nothing wrong with the mamba 25 esc's. but one thing that does make life a hole lot easier with them is the castle link to uptate them with the computer.

ChrisOFNA
04-20-2006, 11:10 PM
Can you guys give me a link to a lipo battery that fits in it? And maybe some links on where to get this stuff pretty cheap?

And how hot will the AON get?

BiGRoB21
04-21-2006, 02:10 AM
mine only gets about 100 degrese and thats on a 90 degree day

mOOsE
04-21-2006, 02:26 AM
mamba esc's totally suck until you get a mamba link. Anyone who accepts the jerky power band that the stock settings provide should be kicked in the nogin....j/k....
if you want and esc without dealing with the awsome tuning aspects of software programming, then get a tekin or quark. If you would like to have nearly infinite adjustments and tons of free updates, then go MAMBA esc...just not motor :)

ChrisOFNA
04-21-2006, 02:55 AM
How well does the Lipo pack fit in the car? How could I mount it?

ChrisOFNA
04-21-2006, 03:00 AM
sorry for double posting, but what about this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Quark-Brushless-Motor-33A-ESC-for-1-18-RC-18T-Mini-T_W0QQitemZ6051456345QQcategoryZ34063QQssPageNameZ WDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

over_powered_rookie
04-21-2006, 06:51 AM
How much for the Mamba esc? I'm quite interested.

Matthew

make me an offer

ChrisOFNA
04-21-2006, 05:46 PM
Dang was I just thread-robbed?

Crusher
04-22-2006, 04:29 AM
Chris,
What sort of racing are you doing with this new inferno?

ChrisOFNA
04-22-2006, 01:17 PM
Im gonna be off-road racing on a track, like any 1/8 scale buggy or 1/10 scale stadium truck.

BiGRoB21
04-22-2006, 01:40 PM
i alays run my half eight on a 8th scale track. it does very well and can keep up with the .21 motors on the stright.

ChrisOFNA
04-23-2006, 02:27 PM
Dang. Thats pretty good. Me and over powered rookie run on the same track, and its pretty rutty, so i dont think we wpould be beating any 1/8ths soon...

ChrisOFNA
04-24-2006, 01:52 AM
When i said 'over powered rookie', i think i mean Crusher...

FHM101
04-24-2006, 05:18 AM
I am really liking the hyperion 5000 I'm running in my buggy. It seemd a little sluggish with the IB1200 pack, but losing 49 grams by switching to 650KAN cells has made a big difference across the board. I now actually have some head room to play with and the motor never gets over 160F. I've given up more than half my runtime, but still have more than enough for a 5 minute race.

over_powered_rookie
04-25-2006, 07:38 AM
tekin 6.8 or 5.4 hands down...supposedly the aon4900,but thats where not much speed is required as its a stump pullin torque motor

FHM101
04-25-2006, 02:03 PM
I just last weekend watched a tekin 5400 in an ST literally melt down. It got hot enough the first time to crystallize the label before it shut itself down. After it cooled down the guy got about 3 laps and it quit again. We shot it with a temp gun and it was a toasty 368F. After a cool down and a little troubleshooting I'm convinced the guy had a defective control. He would pull trigger and the motor would only turn a couple hundred RPM at WOT and would get hot as YKW in seconds. We plugged it into my car and it would still only turn slow, but it didn't get hot.

Also, if you want a killer combination of both speed and torque, check out the new wraith from Bishop Power Products. Here's a short vid (http://www.b-p-p.com/videos/msltwraith.wmv) of the new motor in action in a mini LST.

BiGRoB21
04-25-2006, 02:38 PM
over powered rookie- rhw aon has speed dont know were you are getting your info from. my half eight one a 3 cell with the aon is as fast as a 8th scale buggy! thats not slow

gahendo
04-25-2006, 04:17 PM
Try the wraith from B-p-p.com :D I have one in my mini st and it is pretty fast. I'm running it with a 2c lipo pack. I have a short video of it on the road HERE CLICK ME (http://www.dirtpages.com/blue_one/inferno/Movie_0001.wmv) I only changed the radio,motor and speed control.

gorbasho
04-25-2006, 09:56 PM
you are running the stock servo? how did you connect it?

gahendo
04-26-2006, 02:02 AM
you are running the stock servo? how did you connect it?

Sorry i forgot about the servo. I did put in a hitec 81mg :o

FHM101
04-26-2006, 03:24 AM
How hot does the wriath get in your ST? I'm trying to decide which motor to get for my ST and I'm down to either the aon or troy's new motor. Troy says for torque the aon is still the way to go. He says the wraith has as much low end but the top is crazy compared to the aon and he felt it may be too much for the tiny track I'm running on.

gulozgur
04-26-2006, 10:52 AM
Wraith/Aon... :) .. Same situation :) especially now, cause both are available and the same price :)

How hot does the wriath get in your ST? I'm trying to decide which motor to get for my ST and I'm down to either the aon or troy's new motor. Troy says for torque the aon is still the way to go. He says the wraith has as much low end but the top is crazy compared to the aon and he felt it may be too much for the tiny track I'm running on.

gahendo
04-26-2006, 04:58 PM

I don't have a temp gun,but after running it for 15 minutes it is just warm to the touch. My hyperion 5k would be really hot after the same amount of time. I will see if i can get a temp gun and see what the actual temp is.

FHM101
04-29-2006, 10:51 AM
No biggie on an actual temp, I've got a temp gun, but I usually just use the spit test. If it don't sizzle I figure it's not getting too hot.

OvaYaHead
04-29-2006, 02:53 PM
The low end and top end on the wraith is crazy. The stock ST tires balloon up a lot. I had mine in with a 12t pinion, 3cell lipo, glued center diff, glued slipper and quark 33a pro car. Even though I had the quark set to low torque, initial torque is still hard. The car didn't do a wheelie, but I can see the weight transfer to the rear wheels. The motor will keep pulling until you run out of room or range. I'm not sure the exact tempature of the motor, but it was never too hot to touch, just warm.

bbking9
04-29-2006, 08:45 PM
sure is a lot quieter than my ST.

OvaYaHead
04-30-2006, 08:11 AM
The low end and top end on the wraith is crazy. The stock ST tires balloon up a lot. I had mine in with a 12t pinion, 3cell lipo, glued center diff, glued slipper and quark 33a pro car. Even though I had the quark set to low torque, initial torque is still hard. The car didn't do a wheelie, but I can see the weight transfer to the rear wheels. The motor will keep pulling until you run out of room or range. I'm not sure the exact tempature of the motor, but it was never too hot to touch, just warm.

what a idiot :D , the whole car was set up wrong. He stuck the wraith back on after running the align for a couple days and realized the motor wasn't being used right. Set the quark to inrunner and dialed in the remote. The wraith is very controllable with the high end speed if needed. disreguard the comment on crazy low end. I'm able to get the car moving slowly now and control the torque.

mOOsE
05-01-2006, 04:50 AM
I just last weekend watched a tekin 5400 in an ST literally melt down. It got hot enough the first time to crystallize the label before it shut itself down. After it cooled down the guy got about 3 laps and it quit again. We shot it with a temp gun and it was a toasty 368F. After a cool down and a little troubleshooting I'm convinced the guy had a defective control. He would pull trigger and the motor would only turn a couple hundred RPM at WOT and would get hot as YKW in seconds. We plugged it into my car and it would still only turn slow, but it didn't get hot.

Also, if you want a killer combination of both speed and torque, check out the new wraith from Bishop Power Products. Here's a short vid (http://www.b-p-p.com/videos/msltwraith.wmv) of the new motor in action in a mini LST.
looks like my Mini LST on a 2 cell lipo.....

ChrisOFNA
05-04-2006, 07:36 PM
Im getting the Hacker 400 with quark 33 ESC. That should be good, right?