PDA

View Full Version : Go with Airtronics, Futaba, or something else?

ez-v
04-07-2006, 10:23 PM
Well, I just fried my stock ESC/reciever setup on a X-Speed HT and 8-cell 1400 NiMH setup :eek: ... At least I got in a whole week of multiple runs a day before I smoked it! Thought this might be a good excuse to replace the entire electronics setup but not sure I'm ready just yet to invest in brushless.

Some of the radio setups that caught my eye and seem somewhat wallet friendly are the Airtronics MX-A and the Futaba 2PL...

Airtronics MX-A
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKHX8**&P=0

Futaba 2PL
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXENN1**&P=0

Are these any good, or should I just replace my ESC/Receiver with another stock unit until I can splurge on a higher quality complete get up?

leapingbug
04-08-2006, 12:57 AM
I have allways hade the philosiphy (spelling) that money spent on settleing on something is money wasted. My question to you is this the exact setup you would want if you had the money. Its better to be satisfied with spending 200 then unsatisfied with spending 100. ;) (If you get what i meen

ride1226
04-08-2006, 07:34 PM
i love the futaba 2pl...iv uses it b4...and it convinced me...i have one in the mail on its way to my house now...but if ur gonna regret not gettin a 250 dollar system...which i dont know why neone spends that money rly...then go for it from the start...itll end up cheaper...its rly up to you...if your a casual rc enthusiast...i recoment the 2pl alot

ez-v
04-08-2006, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the feedback! Not planning to spend too much money on my ST... just want slightly better stuff than what Kyosho gives you and with a blown ESC, this seemed like a good opportunity to swap out the gear...

Any other opinions as to whether I should go with the Airtronics or Futaba setup? And does FM really offer that much over AM?

ride1226
04-09-2006, 01:40 AM
FM and AM have the same range...the difference is the clarity of the signal...so when u turn on your car you know how u get that little jittering in the servos...with FM u do not have that...just nice smooth action...again i think u only need that if your going to be a SERIOUS racer who needs every little thing for the big win...if ur just the average basher/racer/rc enthusiast...the futaba 2pl AM will be just fine...have fun!

bcuzau
04-09-2006, 06:54 PM
Both systems are an improvement over what Kyosho gives you. So you'd be happy with either radios.

If you can, try to get your hands on both radios. Choose the one that you're more comfortable with.

I used to race many years ago with a Futaba FP-3PB.. worked flawlessly for me, so I would be quick to choose the Futaba system. But but then again, Airtronics radios are great too..

Goodluck.

ez-v
04-11-2006, 05:49 AM
Made my decision of what I thought was the best combination for me...

Just bought an Airtronics MX-A w/ Super Micro receiver, the seemingly ubiquitous Futaba mc230CR ESC, and the even more ubiquitous Hitec 81MG servo (The micro servo supplied with the Airtronics setup is probably too slow and too low in torque to be useful in the Half-8) from Tower.

I think this is probably the best setup that I would considering running at this time and I can't really see spending more unless I feel like jumping to brushless...

Thanks for all your help!

FHM101
04-15-2006, 03:18 AM
If you want another stock system I have 2 that have never been used (less motors) and they both need a new home. The transmitters have never been unpacked and the ESC/servos have never been energized.