PDA

View Full Version : Omg!! Caw Chassis!?

BitHed
04-13-2005, 08:03 AM
...Frank and the boys at CAW have been busy beavers...They started with a 3/16ths billet bar. It was then milled down to a 5/64ths pan with all risers milled into the chassis. The battery holdowns are bolted into the chassis.

...The underside is our shot peened and satin clear coat applied. The top side is raw mill and has not been polished. It comes out of the mill with A LOT of bling. So much so that they might leave it that way.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/bithed/H8chas-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/bithed/H8chas-5.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/bithed/H8chas-2.jpg

half8 abuser
04-13-2005, 08:13 AM
Oh my :eek: Give me now. NOW I SAID.

BitHed
04-13-2005, 08:19 AM
..yup shes definately a looker alright...I think CAW has invested in some VERY cool equipment which does all sorts of space age stuff...Coming NEXT WEEK...BitHed in BILLET!! :D

...its going to be SO much fun fitting this and then thrashing it...isnt it weird that we pay for something so well built, so beautifuly crafted and then drive around on it...Our hobby is a sickness :cool:

BitHed
04-13-2005, 08:24 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/bithed/H8chas-3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/bithed/H8chas-4.jpg

OneTimeCRX
04-13-2005, 08:44 AM
Is CAW on this forum? I'd like to ask if it's possible to buy the CAM file for personal use, so that I can machine ONE of these myself. I was considering making the file myself, but since it's already done I thought I'd ask. :D

Looks great BTW!

On a related topic, how is the weight of the alloy part compared to the stocker? I'm planning on machining my own parts, probably from 6061 aluminium or another alloy, but I won't do it if it ends up increasing the weight of the car.

jatetu
04-13-2005, 09:21 AM
This is quite cool!!!. And wil help us with all the heat issues. It works like a big big heatsink too. With an alu motor mount.

hkopium
04-13-2005, 09:52 AM
OMG!!!!!!! It is beautiful!!!!! Where can I purchase all these CAW goodies!??

I hope they will consider making some carbon chasis and parts?

BitHed
04-13-2005, 11:01 AM
...OneTime yes weight will be a big factor...Ill let you know when it arrives ;)

arch2b
04-13-2005, 01:01 PM
tha sure is pretty :p caw does some nice work

tornacl90rx7
04-13-2005, 01:19 PM
After my conversation with Frank about a chassis for the Mini T ... He sent me the pics of the chassis ...and I told him I had to have the first one available to the public .... :D I definitely have to have one now that I have the shock towers too....

COUNTRY ALLOY WORKS is my hero ......

BitHed
04-13-2005, 01:43 PM
...Torn you have them already? How are they? They all they can be an more? Spill the beans brotha...BTW Torn werent you coming 'home' for a bit?

UNITED_RC
04-13-2005, 03:30 PM
An Enhancement to that chassis would be a 6-cell saddle pack cell slots!!!!

Drivers could use them or not...but that feature would be VERY nice!!

Also, to resolve the weight issues....what about a CF version. That will eliminate the extra weight issue AND resolve any battery/cell shorting that could occur using alum.

URC

TNB
04-13-2005, 04:05 PM
Why not 8 cell slots? Either way, it may allow cooling and anything to help drop the weight would be nice as long as nothing else is sacrificed. ;)

Hawk
04-13-2005, 05:09 PM
I like the direction things are going with this new platform/toy. CAW does some really nice work. I would suggest that the material selection would be important to me. I would prefer 7075 T6 and hard anodised. Lighter, stronger more resistant to flex/cracks and gouges. I am guessing that for the price of this piece, a couple of bucks more for 7075 T6 instead of 6061 would be no big deal.

As far as carbon fiber, unless you get into the real exotics (read Very espensive) it wouldn't hold up for off road racing nor bashing. If you ran it indoors on carpet then o.k., It is stiff but constant flex (torsional stress) from off kilter landings will cause problem with CF light enough to be considered.

The weight is not nearly as much of an issue to me, I can always generate more horse power. LiPo batteries being too light no longer an issue, eh? Just give me a piece that will last in the jumps and bumps, I can push it higher, faster harder, some how.

I love it when some guy in the pits says "This engine has too much horse power", just means he can't drive. :D

TNB
04-13-2005, 05:40 PM
The weight is not nearly as much of an issue to me, I can always generate more horse power. LiPo batteries being too light no longer an issue, eh? Just give me a piece that will last in the jumps and bumps, I can push it higher, faster harder, some how.
I'm already running the Castle 8000kv motor and a 3-cell lipo in the Mini-Inferno. To me, lighter weight seems like it will help cut back on increased motor and battery temps thereby helping with the longevity of both the motor and batteries.

halfEIGHT
04-13-2005, 05:58 PM
...Frank and the boys at CAW have been busy beavers...They started with a 3/16ths billet bar. It was then milled down to a 5/64ths pan with all risers milled into the chassis. The battery holdowns are bolted into the chassis.

:eek:

There is no emoticon for what I'm feeling right now!

Hawk
04-13-2005, 05:58 PM
I'm already running the Castle 8000kv motor and a 3-cell lipo in the Mini-Inferno. To me, lighter weight seems like it will help cut back on increased motor and battery temps thereby helping with the longevity of both the motor and batteries.
Sure, everbody has to consider their own situation. Your point is valid, as trade offs go, this is one that is talked about a lot of the time. If I run it too hot, too hard it will break. If I can go faster for a race or the qualifiers, was it worth the investment. If you are running in the living room chasing the cat (don't try this at home, closed course professional driver....) then you don't want to replace parts all the time. It is to darn expensive and not entirely satisfying. I wonder what you are doing running an aluminum chassis in that case. Like I said, CF would probably be fine. If I was racing out on an offroad track and wanted to be on the podium after the A main, I won't be to unhappy if my motor is hot to the touch. Just something to work on before the next meet.
If you have time and money and want to chase the cat down the stairs, call Hardcore and get them to run you off a 64 titaniun piece that will impress everybody. That's kewl too. They could probably put your name on it with flames. There are lots of choices out there.

You might consider that if you put in the alloy motor mount piece and made sure you have a good contact patch with the alloy chassis, that you now have a very large heat sink. Works when you are running Nitro engines in the 1/8 size (and others of course). ;)

Rcdriver
04-13-2005, 06:54 PM
I....am....speechless!!!!! :eek:

TNB
04-13-2005, 07:08 PM
I wonder what you are doing running an aluminum chassis in that case. Like I said, CF would probably be fine . . .You might consider that if you put in the alloy motor mount piece and made sure you have a good contact patch with the alloy chassis, that you now have a very large heat sink. Works when you are running Nitro engines in the 1/8 size (and others of course). ;)
Actually, I am still running the stock H8 chassis. I would consider carbon fiber if it could withstand the beating or the alloy mount if it helped cooled the brushless motor since I already have the motor heat sink. Regarding the alloy chassis, how much does it actually weight compared to the stock chassis? Is it lighter? I already own a brick alloy money Maxx and prefer my M18 graphite chassis type set up.

Country Alloy Works
04-13-2005, 10:10 PM
Hello all. CAW. We are milling channels in the chassis to reduce weight. We will have a new pic. for BitHed to post tonight. The stock plastic chassis has a weight of 60 grams. Our proto chassis with the channel work is coming in at 56 grams. Also the channel work is a shaving process, that is not a through cut so there will not be a dirt issue. Now our non flex, production chassis will most likely come in at around 70 to 80 grams. Maybe less. It will not flex. The pics. tonight will be the production chassis and it will have a exact weight. Thank you, CAW.

paulj2
04-13-2005, 10:17 PM
[QUOTE=Country Alloy Works]QUOTE]

Any idea on price yet?

OneTimeCRX
04-13-2005, 10:36 PM
CAW, thanks for the weight info! So will there be two versions, one that's light-weight and one that's non-flex?

BitHed
04-14-2005, 12:03 AM
...my hotmail account is BULGING with all these CAW pics...But keep sending them CAW...always room for more :)

...one light-weight and one non-flex? Doods that is SO clever its almost like i though of it myself !!! :p I just hope i have either one in the post :D Though if i was desperate i would like a 'shaved' one :o

Country Alloy Works
04-14-2005, 12:12 AM
BitHed, pics. are on the way in a half hour. Our non flex, with shaved insets come in with a weight of 76 grams. That is with the battery holdowns installed with stainless. This chassis will be the production run. CAW.

RURC
04-14-2005, 12:55 AM
Also, to resolve the weight issues....what about a CF version. That will eliminate the extra weight issue AND resolve any battery/cell shorting that could occur using alum.

URC

Well I was working on the carbon fibre issue till the little mishap where all my stuff got stolen. Hopefully I will have all back soon. Right now I dont even have a H8 to work with. The chassis was working very well. If I remember correctly it weighed around 37 g. It was a upper and lower decking type. Much like a Schumacher 4wd buggy. Nothing special to do to make it very safe for off raod use. I have just been glueing a clear piece of plastic assitate ( remember the clear plastic the teachers would put on the overhead projectors and write on) to the bottom to protect it from scrapeing. It is very cheap to replace and weighs almost nothing.

CAW Frank you going to call me. I will be at my shop for another hour or so. It is 9:00 pm on Wendsday April 13. You can call till about 11 my time. Need to talk to you about alloy issues.

BitHed
04-14-2005, 04:11 AM
...CAW you got me on my busy day...Three teaching hours in a row...crazy in the lunch room eith the students, another class after lunch then long home room...I didnt chew my lunch today so as to fulfill my responsibilites to you ugly lot !! And to top it all off the PC i chose, because the school has impounded the one i was using :mad: DOESNT have a scroll wheel on the mouse...LOL...if i get indigestion some heads are gonna ROLL!! :D i hope you guys appreciate all the little things i do for you...like slowly whittling away my soul :o Man this mouse sux...Anyway nother couple of minutes and they will be up...

BitHed
04-14-2005, 04:18 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/bithed/newch-3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/bithed/newch-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/bithed/newch-2.jpg

...DONE with 6 minutes to spare...comments to be posted later on...This was a close one fellas...ENJOY !!

WhoMe
04-14-2005, 04:27 AM
Im diggin the light weight deal. Aslong as it isnt more flexible than stock I like it...cause personally i feel the stock chassis is plenty stiff..once you get the car together and hook up the braces. And a word on CF...i run a carbon fiber chassis on my Mini-t and it holds up extremely well on a rough and tumble dirt track.

BitHed
04-14-2005, 07:07 AM
..yeah non-flex will be good...That and the no flex towers and it will be pedal to the metal; litterally...

crymynal
04-14-2005, 02:47 PM
Ok......I'm tired of seeing pics. Get these things into production for us users!!!! I want prices.

lukeita
04-14-2005, 02:59 PM
And don't forget "blue"! :)
bye

Country Alloy Works
04-14-2005, 02:59 PM
Our shock tower set is on ebay now. $38.95 with stainless and free shipping in the US. As for the 76 gram production chassis it will go on tomorrow at $99 with free shipping. We may do a free shipping (worldwide) for the first 30 days. CAW. www.countryalloyworks.com

WhoMe
04-14-2005, 03:04 PM
Just a passing thought and maybe its not even doable. But I think it would be cool if somone made an aluminum chassis like on a big 1/8th scale buggy. The center being narrow, then plastic mud guards on the sides.

BitHed
04-14-2005, 03:31 PM
...eww...NOW the brain is in motion...THAT would be cool...lighter, stronger where it needs to be...black and silver..yummy...side of that too please...

...and once again CAW...a fine looking auction...Congratulations and good luck...'We' have been waiting months for this moment havent we...Its kinda like I am wishing one of my children goodbye..lol...

TNB
04-14-2005, 04:03 PM
Our shock tower set is on ebay now. $38.95 with stainless and free shipping in the US. As for the 76 gram production chassis it will go on tomorrow at $99 with free shipping. We may do a free shipping (worldwide) for the first 30 days. CAW. www.countryalloyworks.com
Does that mean you won't be selling them through the shop here or a combo deal?

plain_simple
04-27-2005, 01:10 PM
i agree with crymynal.. prices is what we all need and also to know how much will CAW charge to shipp it outside the U.S. :D

plain_simple
04-27-2005, 01:41 PM
yesssssssssss... i want one too... how can CAW send it to Europe.. does anyone knows? :confused:

BitHed
04-27-2005, 02:55 PM
...they DO ship worldwide...Frank and his crew are working on some bits and pieces and they will have more up on the bay very soon...It takes time to do a great job ;)

...QUOTE: "BitHed, we are also pushing the chassis a bit to fit the a 540 with a standard servo. The little buggy is so heavy, as you well know. We will be adding A arms, blocks with hubs, a front bumper, a wing mount, motor mount, and a heatsink. You know what that will do to the weight!!!! We will also keep the stock chassis package so it stays at 1/16th. So there will be 2 package options to pick from. Or pieces of what people want."

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/bithed/H8CAW1.jpg

plain_simple
04-27-2005, 04:58 PM
...The little buggy is so heavy, as you well know. We will be adding A arms, blocks with hubs, a front bumper, a wing mount, motor mount, and a heatsink. You know what that will do to the weight!!!!

Does that means that the buggy will go fat or will we shave some grams out of the standard weight?! :p

halfEIGHT
04-27-2005, 06:07 PM
Does that mean you won't be selling them through the shop here or a combo deal?

Nope, it doesn't; we should have them for sale in the Shop in just a few days! :)