PDA

View Full Version : New B/L motor installed - Quick review - Align 430L 4050KV

bbking9
04-02-2006, 05:49 AM
Just took out my Hyperion 6000 on my ST and put in a Align 430L 4050KV.

Still running 8 cell IB1200, Tekin ESC, 11T.

Speed runs up and down the street - looks to be as fast as my Hyperion (which was pretty fast). But temps on Align under 100 degrees - no heatsink, no fan. My Hyperion ran 10T, 2 heatsinks and a 25mm fan on heatsinks - 200+ degrees. Always had some cogging as well.

Looks like this Align will allow me to go up a tooth more or 2 to pick up some more top speed. Has excellent torque. No cogging.

Will do some more tests tomorrow.

Was curious if it might be even faster with the Quark33A Pro Car ESC?

Jaymz
04-02-2006, 11:11 AM
hey mate im really keen to see some more results with this motor as i am looking at buying one for my ST too... what ESC are you using? Also where did you pick urs up from and what price if you dont mind saying...???

Thanx.

bbking9
04-02-2006, 06:07 PM
jay,

Im running the Tekin Mini Rage ESC - but thinkin bout the Quark 33A pro car.

Will run some more today. I paid $43 + $4 shipping from grandrc.com.
It is a hair longer than the Hyperion and diameter is just a larger - but fits perfect. It does use a 3.17mm bore pinion. I had an 11T aluminum one I drilled out to make it fit on the shaft.

morati
04-02-2006, 10:47 PM
Isn't a 3.17mm pinion the same as a standard 1/8th bore. If it is......then there should be a ton of pinion choices for you. Also, if an AON4900kv can push a 16T pinion then the Align should be able to do at least the same...no? Keep us posted on this motor please as it sounds like it could be what I'm looking for. My hyperion also overheats terribly.

bbking9
04-03-2006, 01:06 AM
morati,

Yes - it is 1/8 bore. But it was 11PM last night when I got the Align installed and I had no pinions - except the 11T alum one. So I had to drill it out to test

I have an ST - so it is heavier than the Half8 and the wheels are much bigger. I do would think a 16T is going to overheat even the Align.

Made some more runs today with fully charged batts. Top speed is a little slower than the Hyperion 6K - but I was running 11T. Will go to a 12T and maybe 13 or 14. Temps never got over 120 running 8 cell and 11T. No cogging again. Always had cogging of and on with the Hyperion.

Would a Quark 33a that puts out more amps than the Tekin help with speed?

morati
04-03-2006, 01:59 AM
morati,

Yes - it is 1/8 bore. But it was 11PM last night when I got the Align installed and I had no pinions - except the 11T alum one. So I had to drill it out to test

I have an ST - so it is heavier than the Half8 and the wheels are much bigger. I do would think a 16T is going to overheat even the Align.

Made some more runs today with fully charged batts. Top speed is a little slower than the Hyperion 6K - but I was running 11T. Will go to a 12T and maybe 13 or 14. Temps never got over 120 running 8 cell and 11T. No cogging again. Always had cogging of and on with the Hyperion.

Would a Quark 33a that puts out more amps than the Tekin help with speed?I doubt the Quark would help with speed if its not cogging now. I also have the ST. 120degrees is still relatively low temps. I think you're going to be able to go to at least a 14T pinion.

bbking9
04-03-2006, 02:26 AM
Well - while make some jumps (and crashes), the motor mount came a little loose and I stripped a gear. Ordered replacement online - should be here mid next week and will try some larger pinions as well.

Hawk
04-03-2006, 05:38 PM
my 2cents: since your heat is so low with the Align, it must mean you are not drawing so many amps. The motor could go to a higher pinion (there are lots of options with 3.17 or 1/8 pinions) gear and much higher top speed.
I wonder why no one has put a power meter on their system to do these runs. I know somebody in here is running helicopter stuff.
Something like the hyperion or medusa. I think it would open up lots of eyes to see what amps and rpm these things are turning instead of temping the cans and eye ball radar guns. I think there is a way to go for real tuning and comparisons with these cars.

morati
04-04-2006, 12:55 AM
Well - while make some jumps (and crashes), the motor mount came a little loose and I stripped a gear. Ordered replacement online - should be here mid next week and will try some larger pinions as well.
You sold me on it! I ordered mine today.....My 1/10th scale wheels and tires already showed up along with Bit's CAW hex adapters (very cool) so I'm gonna pick up a bunch of pinions ranging from 13t to 17t and see what happens when it arrives.

bbking9
04-04-2006, 02:29 AM
hey morati, great. It is cheap enough to try out - eh? My gears will not be here till end of week. Gonna stop by the LHS tomorrow and pick up a 14T. Any benefit to running the alloy gears in the slipper?

mOOsE
04-04-2006, 02:39 AM
can you post a link to the motor?

morati
04-04-2006, 04:45 AM
hey morati, great. It is cheap enough to try out - eh? My gears will not be here till end of week. Gonna stop by the LHS tomorrow and pick up a 14T. Any benefit to running the alloy gears in the slipper?
I assume you are talking about the Atomic ones? Actually, I don't have any experience with them......although I'm sure there are others here that have used them. Maybe post a seperate thread. As of right now though, the 3R center diff has been released and I'd be more inclined to try it out instead. I haven't had alot of luck with Atomic's stuff. If you wait another 6 weeks or so, MIP will be releasing their front/rear and center ball diffs for us and that is the route I'll be taking. Can't wait to try out this new motor though. Two hours after I ordered it from Grand R/C they reported it as "shipped". Pretty good service......Thanks for the link!

morati
04-04-2006, 04:48 AM
can you post a link to the motor?Here you go...

http://www.grandrc.com/inc/sdetail/23491

bbking9
04-05-2006, 12:22 AM
morati, yea - its the Atomic Alloy gears I've seen. I'll just wait for MIP.

Bermbuster is helping me out on something and said he met you at a track in Toronto. Said you were a great guy. He sure seems to be as well.

morati
04-05-2006, 01:04 AM
morati, yea - its the Atomic Alloy gears I've seen. I'll just wait for MIP.

Bermbuster is helping me out on something and said he met you at a track in Toronto. Said you were a great guy. He sure seems to be as well.
Couldn't agree with you more!

Ferco
04-05-2006, 05:20 PM
The Align 430L 4050KV sounds like a good motor nicely priced too.

I'm running a Mamba 5400 with a 11.1v Hyperion and I don't get any cogging or lag but the Mamba gets hot even with a heatsink. Now I'm wondering if it is worth it for me to get the Align. I drive on the beach and I'm not sure how good the open can design of the Align will be. Helps with the heat but how about sand

bbking9
04-05-2006, 07:29 PM
It is an open design. I beleive you would have some serious problems with sand getting in this motor.

bermbuster
04-09-2006, 11:50 PM
I joined the club and I bought the Align(4050kv) w mamba 25 esc. Im running a 22t pinion and it is just stupid fast. No cogging or heat issues.The battery packs(9.6v) get the warmest. The guy in the heli shop told me that Align motors can come loose. Endbells loosen from the can. He suggested to CA the bells to the can. He told me some guys drill and tap the end bells. Imagine a heli motor going bad during flight (ouch).

bbking9
04-10-2006, 05:34 AM
I'm running a 17T pinion now - but still the motor temp is only 110-113 degrees. Going to a 19T or 20T tomorrow. heat is not an issue with this motor.

Ferco
04-13-2006, 04:27 PM
I managed to fry my Mamba 5400 :) and now got the Align 3550 KV from Bishop. I'll try some mesh infront of the holes to prevent sand from getting in.

I have been searching for pinions now. Do these (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6050432685&fromMakeTrack=true) fit?

Also can someone tell me what is the biggest pinion I can fit under the gear cover?

bbking9
04-14-2006, 02:55 AM
Ferco,

Yes - those will fit the Align, It uses regular 1/10th scale pinions like the ones in the auction.

The largest pinion I personally have tried that fits under the gear cover is 17T. I also have tried an 20T and it will not fit. Maybe any 18T will fit - but have never tried.

Dont think mesh is going to keep sand out of your motor though.

Ferco
04-14-2006, 03:01 PM
Great, thanks. I got those one the way now. I'll see if the 18t will fit.

I'll see how it goes with the sand. Maybe tape the holes altogether if it doesn't get too hot like that. If that doesn't work I'll try the Wraith from Bishop. That is 7000 KV though and will probably get hot even though they say it has a lot of torque.

bermbuster
04-16-2006, 01:27 PM
It is not only the pinion size but the lenght of the align motor shaft. I had a 23t pinion on and it did not fit. I brought the MIST to a indoor carpet race. I put it through its paces and w/23t the the MIST was quick but not enough low end. Things got warmer but not hot.......I will have to get some smaller pinions.....

bbking9
04-17-2006, 01:38 AM
hey berm,

I thought the 22T you installed put the motor at the end of the slot. Did you notch out the slots?

I'm stick ing with 17T right now so I can still use the cear cover. May try to make a gear cover and go to 20T.

bermbuster
04-17-2006, 12:42 PM
Hey bb...my old eyes miscounted the sprocket teeth....I will say this this the align is a good motor so far but it is no hyperion......I would say it is similar to the mamba5400. I will keep everyone informed.....