PDA

View Full Version : Experience w/ difference in X-Speed motors?

ez-v
03-28-2006, 06:10 PM
Just picked up a Mini Inferno ST and would like to get a more powerful motor that I can just drop in. Figured I would go with the X-Speed motor from Kyosho.

Anyone has had any experience comparing the Red (buggy) vs. Blue label (HT for ST) motors? Is the high torque motor and what I assume would be better lower end punch really that much better suited for the ST given the larger wheels and lower gearing?

Don't want to be compromising raw speed if the buggy x-speed motor has enough torque to launch the ST without issue!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

dj_ski69
03-28-2006, 07:53 PM
I have run My ST with the HT version and would reoccommend using it over the buggy motor....It runs hot on 9.6v so the HS one will most likely run too hot...

SkI

mOOsE
03-28-2006, 11:40 PM
I would recommend the rocket over both of those. the only downside is you would need to gear down a bit but it will still be faster. I kinda thought the HT and regular xspeed were dogs...but maybe thats just me

ez-v
03-29-2006, 12:09 AM
Thanks for the responses...

Moose, so you recommend the Rocket 400... What sort of downgearing are we talking about (can't use the stock pinion)? Also, I assume I would have to recycle and resolder the stock motor leads to the Rocket?

mOOsE
03-29-2006, 01:19 AM
that is correct. I believe I ran a 13tooth with the rocket but my truck has been shelved for so long I don't remember what gear I used. The plus side is that they are super cheap to replace if they die. But if you are looking for a very simple replacement, I would go with the xpeed HT since they bolt in without soldering.

46u
04-23-2006, 05:32 PM
I have never run a Rocket 400 but hear they are good. I have an X speed and it is a much better motor over stock. How much faster is the Rocket 400 over the X speed if any? Does the Rocket 400 come with wires and capacitors?

ez-v
04-26-2006, 04:49 PM
Well, as per Moose's suggestion, I picked up the Rocket 400 a couple of weeks back. Can't say how much faster it is than an X-Speed, since I have no basis for comparison, but the Rocket is pretty fast (lot faster than the stock motor at any rate). Does come with capacitors, but you are going to have to solder your own motor leads.