PDA

View Full Version : Best Rx?

Bill Killillay
03-27-2006, 11:39 PM
Hello All,

I've been out of RC Ground dwellers for a long time now and so getting back into it in a limited way I figured that I would ask a few questions.

I just bought an ST and the bits and pieces to turn my ST into a sudo buggy. Was just wondering, if I were to buy an after market radio and Rx, what ya'll would suggest?

I've been flying planes and helis for the last 5 or 6 years and just wanted something to knock around with in the back yard with my boys. However I like nice stuff and tend to spend the $$ to make them that way.

Sorry for the history, but there it is, idea's, thoughts, suggestions? Fire away.

Thx,
Bill K.

BitHed
03-27-2006, 11:54 PM
...IMO the BEST RX 'system' is the FUTABA HRS system, but it requires a digital servo...

...My next choice for an reciever ONLY would hands down be the NOVAK XXL...

...FM will also make your life easier over AM, but that of course depends on personal preference and your budget...

Bill Killillay
03-28-2006, 12:08 AM
When you say the Futaba HRS, what are you meaning. Digital is cool. I've run 2k worth of digitals in some of my bigger planes. Just not familure with this HRS thing?

I used to race on-road nitro about 7 years ago and used to be pretty decent. Then I got bored and have tried just about everything that RC has to offer. Now my real thrills come from jumping out of planes. The RC stuff is just to pass time when time or weather does not permit the other.

BK

leapingbug
03-28-2006, 01:28 AM
Anything HRS is really good Futaba,KO propo,
spektrum rx are amazingly easy to use with no concerne for interference the new pro version is even faster to so :D :D (BUT IM BIAS TO KO PROPO)

bbking9
03-28-2006, 01:33 AM
Hey Bill,

I bought a Spektrum DX2 at my local hobby shop for $149 (since then the cheapest I have seen is $169) to use with my 1/18th scale stuff. Sold the 2 full size servos it came with for $49. So the system cost me $100.

If you are not familiar with Spektrum - go to www.spektrumrc.com

Of course - there are some that will say other systems are better - but for a net $100 - you cant touch it. no crystals, 2.4ghz operation, no glitching, all the functionality in a radio that you need. Extra recvrs for a 2nd car are a little pricey though - $69 on eBay. But a Novak XXL is $60 in my LHS.

Joan
04-01-2006, 08:29 AM
Actually most of high end radio systems make faster response, Futaba 3PK the HRS, KO Helios super and advance HRS, and Sanwa M11 make a super fast digital conversion system like others, but the best Rx depends of the technology of the transmitter, if you buy the Ko 302F Rx, probably you are buying one of the best Rx, but if you control it with a not compatible high end transmitter you fail to take advantage of their potential.

hrtln
04-02-2006, 09:13 AM
DSM is the only way to go. Speaking from experience. I have had almost every radio, and I ended up w/ an M8 w/ DSM. I will never go back.

DSM is the shizo.

4 the $, this is a great way to go.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DX2-spektrum-system-free-aa-batteries-free-shipping_W0QQitemZ6047315895QQcategoryZ34063QQrdZ1 QQcmdZViewItem

Hawk
04-03-2006, 05:46 PM
Spektrum has made a HRS mode package available for the Futaba/Hitec sets they sell. TX/RX round trip response is a little faster then Futaba HRS and allows the TXs to be run in High Response mode.
Soon to be available (late april - may i guess) is Spektrum Pro with very fast response for all the other systems. Almost as fast as HRS but price is higher than first version of DSM modules. The smt is coated to reduce static and environmental issues.
Spektrum modules for high end radio systems are priced similar to the price of the radios. You are looking at 350-500 buckeroos. for set ups. Unless Spektrum allows radio makers to compete with their systems w/built in DSM so that 3pk would come with DSM tx module and rx. Probably not though.

plain_simple
04-04-2006, 12:36 AM
Hawk... Some bee's tells me that we might not have to wait all that time for that to happen... ;)
Till then i'll stick with my 3PK even if not on a DSM mode :rolleyes: