PDA

View Full Version : front and rear diffs

richh
04-12-2005, 03:47 PM
a little help here. how can i get my front and rear diffs to operate more smoothly? right now they very notchy; no where near as smooth as my miniquake or minizilla.

OneTimeCRX
04-12-2005, 04:53 PM
It helps a lot to pack some grease inside the diff. It doesn't completely remove all the notchiness, but most of it will go away.

half8 abuser
04-12-2005, 05:56 PM
Are these diffs sealed? Can we put oil in them? Anyone know?

macmaxx
04-12-2005, 06:19 PM
Are these diffs sealed? Can we put oil in them? Anyone know?

no...they are not sealed...complete open designed :(

half8 abuser
04-12-2005, 06:56 PM
Well that sucks :( I hope some one out there makes a set of sealed diffs. I know I would buy a set in a heart beat.

BitHed
04-12-2005, 07:36 PM
...I am repeating myself i know but i am using TAMIYA Anti-Wear Grease...Quick and easy and very sticky and it gets the job done really well :) I was using TAMIYA Titanium grease but it was too light and just flew off the diffs and clung to the walls of the casing :( NOT recommeded for this application...

...And for doing all the diffs slowly and carefully i am 95% 'notchy' free :D

acsubie
04-12-2005, 07:38 PM
i used AE stealth diff lube and it worked like a charm..tiny bit on all the plantary gears....but i will take Bit's recommendation and look for that tamiya stuf next time im at the lhs

half8 abuser
04-12-2005, 08:34 PM
Cool thanks bit, bye the way I sent you a message did you get?

BitHed
04-12-2005, 08:37 PM
...yup replied too :) Will reply again because it looks like you missed it...

macmaxx
04-12-2005, 08:51 PM
Well that sucks :( I hope some one out there makes a set of sealed diffs. I know I would buy a set in a heart beat.

i hope someone out therer will make ball-diffs :D so we can adjust our diffs ;)

----> maymbe more steering :D

richh
04-13-2005, 01:29 AM
...I am repeating myself i know but i am using TAMIYA Anti-Wear Grease...Quick and easy and very sticky and it gets the job done really well :) I was using TAMIYA Titanium grease but it was too light and just flew off the diffs and clung to the walls of the casing :( NOT recommeded for this application...

...And for doing all the diffs slowly and carefully i am 95% 'notchy' free :D

bitHed, before the lube how did they work? on my miniquake if i give the wheel a good spin with my hands, the wheel will continue to spin a good 4 or 5 revolutions on its own (with the opposite wheel spinning the other way). on the minizilla, i get maybe 2 or 3 full revolutions. with the inferno, the wheels do not spin at all once i let go. it feels as if the diff gears mesh is all messed up.

guess it's time to open her up.

BitHed
04-13-2005, 04:13 AM
...Rich BEFORE the lube? They sucked :) nevermind too much though...its all just a ploy to make us buy KYOSHO ball diffs if and when they ever come out...

adrenalinrush123998
04-13-2005, 06:14 PM
wait...so it doesnt have fluid filled diffs like the full size buggy?
c'mon..even my mini-quake has fluid filled diffs (comes with em)

i wonder if i could transfer fsome sealed diffs from my mini-quake into the inferno...

OneTimeCRX
04-13-2005, 08:10 PM
I guess some pictures will help those who don't own a H8 yet. Note that I've already packed some grease into my diff, so it's a little chunky looking in there:

http://www.pbase.com/image/42036420/original.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/onetimecrx/image/42036423/original.jpg

adrenalinrush123998
04-14-2005, 12:47 AM
now THAT is whaat i call an easy acsess differential....
what did you do to get to that? remove like four screws?

i love kyosho all of their cars are easy to dissasemble
(i can turn my mini-z into a pile of completely seperate parts in under eight minuets)

so what kind of grease did you use?
i have a grease that you put in the prop shaft of r/c boats (well the tube that it sits in) do you think that would be heavy enough?

hkopium
04-14-2005, 01:08 AM

(i can turn my mini-z into a pile of completely seperate parts in under eight minuets)

i have a grease that you put in the prop shaft of r/c boats (well the tube that it sits in) do you think that would be heavy enough?

Let me guess... Tamiya Anti-Wear Grease?

TNB
04-14-2005, 05:13 AM
Since I had an extra front-one way lying around, I figured that I would compare the two.... If anyone is curious, it's for an Xray M18.

http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album623/H8_M18_comparison.jpg

OneTimeCRX
04-14-2005, 07:46 AM

Actually it's a little more difficult to access than the picture indicates. You'll need to remove 6 screws and 2 C-clips. Then the rear suspension beam and diff housing can be removed rearwards, exposing the diff. In the pictures I put the suspension beam back on in order to keep the wheels pointing straight.

I'm not sure what brand grease I used is, but it's some super expensive stuff that we normally use for our sensitive research machinery (wind tunnel, crash test facility, etc). Works great and I'm glad I didn't have to pay for it! :D

BitHed
04-14-2005, 10:57 AM
...that xray diff looks like it might fit...

adrenalinrush123998
04-14-2005, 03:00 PM
oh...maybe it ISNT so easy access.....it still sounds easier to get to than my other cars
(maybe not my mini-t but the screws wont come out of that for some reason so i wouldnt know)

do you happen to know what weight the grease is?
and maybe if you could pick me some up :D lol

do you know of any way to seal the diff (so i can make it a fluiod filled one) or iof kyosho will offer fluid-filled diffs?

OneTimeCRX
04-14-2005, 03:24 PM
I have no idea what weight that grease is since my machinist discretely gave it to me in a small unmarked tin can. If you have to pay for it, it's probably not worth the high cost for using this in an RC. You're probably much better off using grease made for RC's, but I haven't heard of any such thing mentioned here. Nope, not a single time have I heard Bithed mention TAMIYA grease... ;)

TNB
04-14-2005, 03:58 PM
...that xray diff looks like it might fit...
Although I didn't count the Xray M18 teeth, the gear is a slightly different size on the Xray M18 one way. I was "half" tempted to pull the front ball diff out of my M18 when I remembered that I had the extra one-way, then I thought that I could try the ball diff in the Half 8 but not as long as I am using foams on the M18. I'll probably wait for Kyosho's ball diffs anyway since Xray parts are non-existent here and I have to order everything online or through hobby shops elsewhere. Who knows, maybe Kyosho's ball diffs will be cheaper than Xray's anyway—we can only hope. Meanwhile, if I come across something even closer, I'll post an update.

WhoMe
04-14-2005, 04:02 PM
It would be cool if kyosho made sealed gear diffs like the kinds that are used on the big 1/18th scale buggies. Then you could change the diff action with diff fluid as opposed to ball diffs that can loose thier setting with time.

TNB
04-14-2005, 04:07 PM
like the kinds that are used on the big 1/18th scale buggies.
The big 1/18th! ;)

WhoMe
04-14-2005, 07:09 PM
You know thats like the third time ive done that is some post or another...Big 1/8th....one eight...Ive been running micos too long. :confused: