PDA

View Full Version : Racers???????????

hrtln
03-17-2006, 05:23 AM
How all races 1/2 8's here? It would be cool if we could check out everyones different set-up's, and idea's. I have no problem sharing mine. ;)

leapingbug
03-17-2006, 10:47 PM
my half 8 has the following
center diff rotated 180 deg ( i have gottin better balance l/r,+ can fit real lipo)
aon 4900 brushless 12 t pinoin (Great little motor
mamba 25 ( Settings 0 drag brake, 0 punch control,timeing Im still testing normal and high, I will try and link my throotle and brake curves soon)
hyperoin 1800 lite storm 3cell lipo (One of the most powerfull lipos on the market
Polo mini DIGI (faster and more resolution compared to futaba)
3r ti f/r shock towers (durabilaty)
3r wing mount (durabilaty)
Gpm f/r ti dogbones (these are durable but not as light i was hopeing)
gpm Ti out drives (Actually light lol)
3R Ti Center dogdones ( a little more on wieght but no more trq loos due to plastic twisting)
3R steering blocks
3R Ti 3 deg suspension holder
3R kingpins
3R rear c Hub
3R CF kingpin holders
3R Cf sterring top plate
3R Ti steering assmbly
3R ti steering post
3R ti turnbuckels
3R rollbars (front med/Rear med)
Sato servo saver spring
koyosho oil shocks (front 40 wt/Rear 50 weight)-getting kyosho spring set
Front shock mounted on inner middle hole/Rear shocks mounted on upper middle hole
Front upper A arm mounted on the top position
Front tires approx 1 deg of neg camber
stock center diff with crazy horse diff lock greas (paste lol)
Tires kyosho X pattern
Radio Ko propo Ex 10 helios with spektrum

Getting
Eclipse cf chassis
MIP a 3R center ball diff and will use whichever is better
kyosho r/f Ti dogbones
Kyosho ti suspension pins
Proline dishes and crime fighters
I know im forgetting something???? :o

leapingbug
03-17-2006, 10:49 PM
Me and tech25 race on a 1/8 track and a big 1/10 track so its setup for that :D

leapingbug
03-18-2006, 06:50 AM
O 22 deg front c hub and the steering curve set at -50 on the helieos
Does anyone know how i could post the throttle and brake curves on the forums :confused: :confused:

hrtln
03-19-2006, 03:59 PM
I will post my set-up after racing today. ;)
Don't we have more people here that race these. Just post 2 say you do. I was just wonders how much of a following the racing end of these 1/2 8's are. :)

auto2
03-19-2006, 11:52 PM
I race only. but at the moment I'm racing 1/10 truck and buggy. I can't deal with running 3 classes. I'm too old!
I run the H8 but havn't really spent time getting a set up.

bermbuster
03-20-2006, 12:09 AM
the complexity of adjustments can be copied from the h8s big brother. Find some set up sheets for the 1/8 scale guys and duplicate them....

BiGRoB21
03-20-2006, 01:15 AM
only thing is noramlly the bigger cars are set up for tons of steering and steering responce. where with the little cars you dont need that much reactions cause everything little bit is multiplied.

i dont accually have a class for the h8 yet, but there is one that is going to be starting soon at one of the smaller tracks we have here for the 8th scale buggies and i have been working on mine alout, however i havent been able to run mine since i got the pitbull chassis cause i need to get a new spurr gear.

hrtln
03-21-2006, 06:11 AM
Didn't some one find a set-up sheet online a while back? That would make posting set-ups easier.

hrtln
03-21-2006, 06:24 AM
Here is what I am running at this time.
Aon 4900 w/ 3 cell lipo
Airtronics 12th scale servo
Tekin ESC
Spektrum w/ PT
Proline CF tires at this time. I have changed tires almost everytime they have changed the track. :rolleyes:
2* camber F & B
1* toe out
F Role center in the lower hole
Steering in the inner holes (help's get rid of bump steer)
Kyosho shock's / kyosho springs
40w F - 30w R w/ stk pistons
Either red springs in outer hole f, and middle hole r
Or blue spring w/ both shock in the inner hole.
red spring set-up is more forgiving
ST diffs, F20,000 R5,000
F & R sway bars Middle one in F, Lite one in R
I know I am missing something, but its late, and I can't think.... :eek:

auto2
03-26-2006, 01:06 AM
with 20000 in the FT dif dont you have a huge on power push?

hrtln
03-27-2006, 10:50 PM
No. I have more steering than I know what to do w/. ;)

BiGRoB21
03-27-2006, 11:48 PM
one of the main thing with set ups is the surface you are running on. havent seen anyone mention what type of surface they were running on.

i finally got my h8 running again so when i get back to the track and run some i will be posting my setup.

auto2
03-28-2006, 12:45 AM
good point. I just "assumed" we were talking about dirt. you know that dirty stuff.:-)

anyway I'm on real hard packed sometimes dusty, not too smooth but not ruff almost but not quite blue groove.

one thing I noticed is with the ST and the pitbull with the motor in the back the stock springs are too stiff.

so I'm up to blue in the rear and red up front. no spacers and the ft spring cut 2 coils to get bones leval. 50 wt in the rear and 35 wt losi in the front with one hole piston in the ft and stock 2 hole in the rear.

my diffs are dry at the moment with center ball dif 1/64 from full tight.

I tried a set of proline buggy tires on the St but they rub in the rear . what do you have for and St size rim and a proline hole shot style tire?

BiGRoB21
03-28-2006, 03:03 AM
auto2- that sounds like the surface i am running on.

the track i normally run the h8 on is currentley changeing the layout right now, but when i am able to get back out there i will post my setup.

FHM101
04-10-2006, 05:15 PM
I race my half8 at a local indoor dirt track and it's loads of fun. My car is by no means the fastest at the track, but it's plenty quick into and out of the corners, and rough track handling is excellent. While the insane speed freaks are overshooting the corners and bouncing off walls, and cars with tons of aluminum bling are pushing in the corners, I just motor by the carnage and turn under them.

My H8 setup

Surface: Sand/clay/topsoil mix. Hard packed, swept and watered between rounds.

Battery: 8 cell saddle pack IB1200 cells

Motor/ESC: Hyperion 5000 12T pinion, Mamba25, motor parameters setup by Troy at BPP

Servo: Hitec 81MG

Radio: M8 w/Spektrum

Rear
Shocks: upper center hole on tower, kyosho 2 hole pistons, 70wt Losi oil, white springs, no preload.
Upper link: stock location on both ends, 1.5 degrees of negative camber
Hub: stock location
Toe/Antisquat Block: C/stock
Diff: bushing replaced with bearing, case packed with heavy silicone grease
Droop: 2mm
Wheels/Tires: stock
Ride Height: bones slightly above level

Front
Shocks: upper inner hole on tower, kyosho 2 hole pistons, 60wt losi oil, white springs, no preload.
Upper arms: stock location, 1 degree of negative camber
Hub Carrier: stock
Toe: 1 degree positive
Upper/Lower Pin Blocks: stock
Diff: bushing replaced with bearing, full coating of heavy silicone grease on gears
Droop: 2mm
Wheels/Tires: stock
Ride Height: bones level

Center
Diff: Bushing replaced with bearing, full coating of heavy silicone grease on gears.
Slipper: 3.7mm, bushings replaced with bearings, disk edge beveled then worked with 120 grit sandpaper, slips for about 2 feet on hard acceleration.

Mods
F/R Towers: Kyosho aluminum
F/R Shocks: Kyosho optional
all bushings replaced with bearings
center diff shimmed up
servo mount ground for arm clearance to allow use of rubber servo mounts
most hardware replaced with M3 machine screws.
Proline body
M3 washer between right hand steering post and top brace.

I like a planted car and this setup gives me that. It has a tiny bit of off power push, but not enough to make it a problem. I would like a bit less antisquat so the car would be more neutral in the air, but so far I have not found anywhere to get front lower pin blocks for the rear arms to adjust this with.

I bought a set of proline crime fighters when I got the car, but so far I like the way the stock tires work so I have not tried the CF's.

The only thing I really want to do from here is shim out the slack in the wheels and work on the bumpsteer, other than those 2 things and looking for antisquat blocks, I really like the way my little buggy works on the track.

BiGRoB21
08-11-2006, 05:44 AM
man i completely forgot about this thread and have started to work on my set up more and more. im still not completely where i want the car to be but im getting close and the car is feeling really good.

leapingbug
08-11-2006, 08:33 PM
man i completely forgot about this thread and have started to work on my set up more and more. im still not completely where i want the car to be but im getting close and the car is feeling really good.
WHAT DONT YOU LIKE STILL

BiGRoB21
08-11-2006, 11:52 PM
well i made a switch to the new c/f tires and that gave the car way more traction so i have to retune the car for it. also my st diffs were set a tad too loose now and diff out on a hard on power turn, this makes the car try to switch back then spins it out. also im working with my shock set up again, because im getting more springs in now for tuneing options, all this and i have the ball diffs for the front and rear on the way. i still want to get rid oc some more of the bumpsteer and im thinking about making the switch back to my stock chassis.

BiGRoB21
08-14-2006, 05:43 PM
ok i spent 4 hours one night switching back over to my stock chassis, and retuneing my hole car. final result...... amazing! did a few little mods and got all the bump steer out. improved my steeering throw, and fine tuned my suspension and diff so the car dosent diff out on a sharp turn.

FHM101
08-26-2006, 04:14 PM
Hey Folks...The track I run on has been retopped with sifted red clay and has gone from the crusty topsoil which would rut up on race day to a very hardpacked running surface which is usually coverd with a fine layer of dust when dry and super tacky when damp. I don't know if these little cars weigh enough to lay down a blue groove, but if they do we should be getting there soon. I've made some changes to my original setup for the new surface and so far it's working pretty well. I've gone back to the stock tires and they work so much better on this surface than the prolines do. I wish Losi made tires for the MI's

Front
Kyosho alu shock tower
20 deg C hubs 3R knuckles, shimmed out to remove end play
Upper link-lower hole
Camber-link gap 4.7mm
Toe-link gap 13.1mm, outer hole on drag link
Shocks-Kyosho alu, upper outer hole, losi 70wt, white springs, no preload
Lower pin blocks F/R-stock/stock
Diff-stock buggy, light coat silicone grease, center bearing, shimmed in bulk
Drive-MIP CVD, alu outdrive cups, bones level

Center
Diff-stock, medium coat silicone grease, center bearing, F/R bearings shimmed
Slipper-stock, slipper pad beveled & roughed, 3.4mm gap, bushings replaced with bearings
Motor-Hyperion 5000, 12T pinion

Rear
Kyosho alu shock tower
Hubs-stock, lower hole, shimmed in to remove end play, long wheelbase
Upper link I/O-upper inner/outermost
Camber-link gap 7.7mm
Toe/squat-alu C block/stock
Shocks-Kyosho alu, upper inner hole, losi 60wt, white springs, no preload
Diff-stock buggy, medium coat silicone grease, center bearing, shimmed in bulk
Drive-MIP CVD, alu outdrive cups, bones level

Tires-Proline Crime Fighters
Servo-Hitec HS81MG
Cells-9.4v 1400mah matched pack
ESC-Mamba 25 programmed by Troy at BPP
Receiver-Spektrum
PT-mounted stock location
The front brace is now a turnbuckle from the steering plate to the center diff

BiGRoB21
08-26-2006, 05:05 PM
fhm101- how long do you think it would take for me to get to the track comeing from new orleans? let me know me and a friend may make a trip out there.

FHM101
08-27-2006, 08:35 AM
We are about 20 minutes north of Birmingham in Trussville, Alabama. Here's a link to some pics of our little mini track when it was being redone with the clay.
http://www.madmaxxrc.com/one_eighteenth.html

Did you get switched back to the stock tub? I've picked up several CF plates and a pitbull, but I can't find any reason to not like my stock chassis. A few of the ST guys have switched to holeshot CF chassis' and really like them, and I traded for an ST on a cut down CF plate. It's really slick looking and works real well, but I still like the buggy better.

BiGRoB21
08-27-2006, 04:12 PM
yep im all switched back, and to tell you the truth i like it better. the car seems to handel way better now. im working on finding the right spring for my car now.

BiGRoB21
08-27-2006, 04:15 PM
looks like it would take me about 5 hours or so to get there, isnt too bad. what days do yall run the micros and when do yall run the 8th scales.

FHM101
08-27-2006, 05:53 PM
The mini's run on friday night right now, but John is talking about changing that when the outdoor season ends. We are expecting quite a crowd once the weather turns off cold.

We don't currently have a regular race schedule for the big cars as John is still working on getting all his ducks in a row on the big track. We usually get together on sunday and play around, but John told me last friday that the drivers stand will be done by today and he's about ready to start holding regular outdoor races. Shelby county however, runs 8th, MT, and truggy every saturday. They are a little over an hour from the mini track. I was out there last night for the first time in a while shaking down an MBX5T and the level of competition is very high. They have a bunch of young guns out there who can drive the wheels off their cars. I've always sucked with the big cars (who am I kidding, I suck with the little ones as well), but I really suck running with that crowd.

EphiDelt490
08-27-2006, 09:27 PM
We'll definitely have to make a trip :).

BiGRoB21
08-27-2006, 10:29 PM
yah, we will make a trip one day, but making it on a friday night may be hard as we have a 5 hour drive and we dont get out of class till 2.

ChrisOFNA
08-27-2006, 10:32 PM
Well, I've been racing mine.... sorta. There aren't many people out here for mini, and when there are minis they aint very good so I pretty much showboat around the track. I'm thinking of throwing my Mini Inferno with stock truck one day so I have at least a little more challenge (Well, alot of challenge, dang pro drivers).

FHM101
08-27-2006, 11:18 PM
That would be great if you guys could come up and race with us. I'll let you know when John decides on a new day for the mini racing. Also, I don't know how far you are from Jacksonville FL, but they have a very strong mini off road program going down there. I don't remember the name of the place off the top of my head, but I'll dig it up and post it here.

BiGRoB21
08-27-2006, 11:32 PM
i think jacksonville is like 14 hours away. little too far just to go run.

ChrisOFNA
08-28-2006, 01:29 AM
I'm like 2 hours away from Jacksonville if I remember correctly.

BiGRoB21
08-28-2006, 03:06 AM
then get in the car and drive to race.

EphiDelt490
08-28-2006, 04:39 PM
Rob, jacksonville is a 9 hour trip from Slidell, so we'd be looking at a 10 hour journey 1-way. I've got family that lives there, so maybe one day we'll make the trip.

BiGRoB21
08-28-2006, 04:59 PM
nice, we can get the relatives to pay the gas too? lol

bermbuster
08-28-2006, 11:10 PM
are you guys gonna make it up to dirty jersey for the ECC?

BiGRoB21
08-29-2006, 01:02 AM
bermbuster, as much as i would love to come up there and run with yall. i just cant drop 400$ on just the airfair to get there, pluss missing 3 days of work and 2 days of classes for the race. i know if sucks, but i would love to come up there and hand yall's butts to you. lol

FHM101
08-29-2006, 03:31 PM
I'm in the same boat. I work for myself so I could make the time, but the $$$ for the trip is more than I could afford.

Here's the mini track (http://www.jaxmini.com/template.cfm?id=home&CFID=172958&CFTOKEN=42225348) in Jacksonville.

EphiDelt490
08-31-2006, 04:47 PM
That track looks fun! Definitely have to come check it out the next time I'm in FL.

Berm - I was going to do it, but I've got obligations to tend to here. I.E. the Futaba Nitro Challenge is in late October as well. Maybe next year? Lol, I finally got myself another H8 to make the race too.

BiGRoB21
08-31-2006, 05:36 PM
adam- shoot me a email. i need toget my starter box from you before tommorrow so i can race lol

minijosh
09-29-2006, 05:16 AM
Does anyone have a good set up for indoor tracks with rubber tires or foams?

FHM101
10-03-2006, 08:04 AM
indoor dirt or carpet?

minijosh
11-01-2006, 05:14 AM
Indoor carpet. Same place where I race my 1/10 Tamiya. :D