PDA

View Full Version : Brushless gearing

gazzer55
03-16-2006, 05:34 AM
I was wondering how different gearings affect the performance of the car? Does a lower tooth (say 10) mean that the car will accelerate slower? Also I read the hyperions have to be geared low but the aons don't have this problem, does this mean the aon will accelerate better but have a lower top speed??? I really have no idea what im talking about here!!

lux
03-16-2006, 03:12 PM
If the gear on your motor has 10 teeth and your centerdiff-gear has 40 teeth, your motorgear has to turn 4 revolutions to make turn the centerdiffgear 1 time. We talk about 4:1 gearing. In accordance to the specs of your motor, for example 5800 rev/Volt, you can do more calculations. Depending on build and size, motors can have more or less power (Watt) or strength (Newtonmeter). It can change all along it's performance scheme. There are truck-motors built to give lots of power with low gearing, or speed motors developing their best in high revs. Generally speaking: low gearing means lots of strength/power with low speed, high gearing the exact contrary. I.e.: little tooth-number (motor) means good acceleration and less top-speed, high tooth-number (motor) means less good acceleration and high top-speed.
Hope I made myself understandable!

Jos

gazzer55
03-16-2006, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the info I think I understand now. So does this mean that since the Aon can he geared higher ( i dont know how many teeth exactly), that it will be faster! Basically i'm asking if its better for the H8 to use a motor that can be geared high as acceleration is very important for these little cars. I was almost set on the hyperion 6000 due to its top speed but now i'm not so sure. I'm also worried that after 2 minutes of running it my diffs will be shot. I suppose I might have that problem with any brushless though!!

scottb
03-16-2006, 09:43 PM
Basically, with brushless motors, your better off gearing them very low (try a 11 or 12 to start - then work your way up, but make sure the motor does not get too hot - over 140 deg F).

I run a mamba 5400 (smaller than either the Aon or Hyp) and have it geared with a 10t (w a 3 cell lipo). The car is extemely fast for dirt (tight track). You will probably do fine with either the Aon or the Hyperion - but it also depends on how many cells you are running.

gazzer55
03-16-2006, 11:09 PM
I'll just be running it off 8 cells for now until I get some more money for lipos and a lipo charger. I figure the hyperion with a 10t should work well for now.

bbking9
03-23-2006, 10:11 PM
gazzer,

I have an ST with a Hyperion 6000 running 8 cell IB1200s and 10T pinion. I put a 2 heatsinks on my hyperion and have a 25mm fan sho goo'd on the heatsink.

Without the fan - it gets pretty warm. 180+ with the fan - 140-150. I can live with that. I sho goo'd a small (approx 4mm) round plastic piece on each corner of the fan motor and the sho goo'd those stand offs onto the heatsink so the actual fan blade does not hit the fins on the heatsink.

The lower body shell on the ST prevents some airflow (in my opinion) across the heatsinks - that's why I added the fan. Uses hardly any power. so it works for me.

BiGRoB21
03-23-2006, 11:29 PM
i am running a aon4900 on a 3 cell, and my car is as fast as a 8th scale with a p5 or similar motor!! and the motor runs at arround 145 degres. I am also running no heat sinks or fans on my motor! normally run in 80+ degree weather