PDA

View Full Version : Hyperion 5000kv report..

morati
03-12-2006, 11:43 PM
Well I finally took delivery of my Tekin Mini Rage and Hyperion 5000kv motor last week and was able to get a couple of packs through it. The first couple of times out I put a 7.4v lipo pack through it for about 3 minutes each time just to get things dialed. The motor seemed to pull pretty good although my Tekin is hesitating pretty bad. The third time out I tried my 11.1v Polyquest XP pack and the speed really went up. I only ran it for about 6 minutes as the motor was starting to get into the 190 degree range. Today the ground dried up a little after some heavy rain and I took it out to a local golf course to give it a workout. After running for about 6-7minutes of running I found the truck to be a little slower than before (figured it was just my settings on my ESC) but immediately thereafter smoke starts coming out of the body. I shut it down and discovered the motor was FRIED! Maybe I'm just not cut out for this R/C thing. My brushed motors seem to last forever. I have a Reedy Mini Max 280 motor in my RC18T thats been going strong for almost 1 year (haven't even changed the brushes yet...Awesome motor). Whatya think guys....is it normal for these things to blow up after less than 20minutes of running? I took out the 5000kv and installed a brand new 6000kv that was supposed to go in my RC18T. I am only going to run it on 7.4volts until I can discipline myself to stop whacking open the throttle..... Comments appreciated!

Q8y_drifter
03-13-2006, 11:31 AM
190F is way too much! these are not nitro engines,,, my GTB ESC smoked at 180F and i was only geared a little bit over the recommended. use a smaller pinion or smaller tires if you're running larger ones.

pimpsmurf
03-13-2006, 08:54 PM
You probably have some or all of the following:
Binding in the drivetrain
Bushings on the wheels
too big of a pinion
impropperly configured ESC

Where are all the people that kept saying the tekin doesn't have problems with hesitations? Maybe they could help, but I still love my mambas...

By the way, I believe 160F is the recommended max temp.

-JNY

morati
03-13-2006, 09:15 PM
You probably have some or all of the following:
Binding in the drivetrain
Bushings on the wheels
too big of a pinion
impropperly configured ESC

Where are all the people that kept saying the tekin doesn't have problems with hesitations? Maybe they could help, but I still love my mambas...

By the way, I believe 160F is the recommended max temp.

-JNY
Thanks for the suggestions of problems that could have caused this but......
1) the truck is a brand new, and drivetrain spins very freely
2) Its an ST version so has bearings everywhere
3) The ST uses a lower overall gear ratio than the Buggy + i dropped the pinion down from the stock 13t to an 11t just to be safe
4) I was running default settings on my Tekin (exept for drag brake which I increased by only 1 level and voltage cutoff due to running lipos)
160 degrees......I'm getting 140F just on a 7.4volt pack
BTW, I owned 3 Mambas and they all cogged (although I never used their PHX link or downloaded newer firmware from their site) I think the newest version I ran was 1.02. I will buy another and try it with the newer firmware(I couldn't do it before as my computer wasn't capable of downloading it).

pimpsmurf
03-14-2006, 01:07 AM
Yeah, with a 11.1v, you should use a max of a 11 tooth. I would probably recommend a 10 tooth. The hyperion motors aren't meant to be geared out like the Aon can be. They will overheat really easily

Yes, you have to update the firmware or you will have issues unless on a mini-t with the mamba-brand motors. haha

I didn't see that it was an ST, so that is awsome, but the overall gear ratio change was suppose to help counter the bigger and heavier wheels/shafts. I don't believe the change was enough to fully compensate (ie, same setup on ST as a H8, the ST will have a higher top speed)

-JNY

bbking9
03-14-2006, 02:40 AM
I'm running a Hyp 6000 with 8 cell packs, Tekin ESC and 10T pinion. No cogging. and does not run hot (but I have a 2 heatsinks installed that cover the entire motor).

morati
03-14-2006, 02:43 AM
I'm running a Hyp 6000 with 8 cell packs, Tekin ESC and 10T pinion. No cogging. and does not run hot (but I have a 2 heatsinks installed that cover the entire motor).At the time my 5000kv fried i was using one heatsink and a 25mm fan.....oh yeah and my ST is lighter than stock...850grams complete with body and batts.

pimpsmurf
03-14-2006, 05:11 PM
My 6k ran about 150F on 8 cells, which is the primary reason I've not used it on the 11.1v setup. The Aon loves it! =)

Dude, that is one sweet ST. Looks awsome, but the metal on metal is sucking! Get a 2.4ghz setup and you will be set! I'm thinking about changing to the metal slippers now that I have spektrum.

-JNY

scottb
03-14-2006, 08:33 PM
...and a 10t pinion and it would get hot. I ended up buying the Atomic spur gear so I could gear lower (it's a 38 instead of a 32 - it requires some modifications to the center diff case). I've found these brushless motors love to be geared very low. I think the best setup is to run the 3cell lipo, but to gear it extremely low.

Good Luck - it will get better.

morati
03-14-2006, 11:34 PM
My 6k ran about 150F on 8 cells, which is the primary reason I've not used it on the 11.1v setup. The Aon loves it! =)

Dude, that is one sweet ST. Looks awsome, but the metal on metal is sucking! Get a 2.4ghz setup and you will be set! I'm thinking about changing to the metal slippers now that I have spektrum.

-JNY
Metal on metal? I'm actually running the stock slipper with a sanded metal washer and the spring tightened quite a bit. Only my pinion is metal. You may be right about the Spektrum though.......I'll have it for the summer!

morati
03-14-2006, 11:36 PM
...and a 10t pinion and it would get hot. I ended up buying the Atomic spur gear so I could gear lower (it's a 38 instead of a 32 - it requires some modifications to the center diff case). I've found these brushless motors love to be geared very low. I think the best setup is to run the 3cell lipo, but to gear it extremely low.

Good Luck - it will get better.Well, I actually ordered an AON motor for this thing but my online retailer sent me one of these instead. He said he would correct the problem and send me out an AON though so we'll see.

pimpsmurf
03-15-2006, 01:10 AM
Metal on metal? I'm actually running the stock slipper with a sanded metal washer and the spring tightened quite a bit. Only my pinion is metal. You may be right about the Spektrum though.......I'll have it for the summer!
WTF? I was crimping tiny wires today and apparently nickle color burned into my retinas. haha. I could have sworn they were metal-looking. *shrug*

Anyways, spektrum owns (especially on a 3pk, or m8/m11) and metal slipper gears are cheaper than constantly replacing stripped/bent spur/slipper gears.

-JNY