PDA

View Full Version : Favorite RC of all time...so far anyway

mOOsE
03-02-2006, 01:29 AM
Past, present, gas, electric, it doesn't matter. Lets hear what your #1 favorite rc is/was so far in your experience with this hobby. Even if you didn't own it, I want to hear what it was and why it was the numero uno..
My favorite so far was the....
TRAXXAS STAMPEDE (it was a toss up between that and the emaxx). Not the first or anything but I just had so much fun with that truck during the summers, winters, and anything in between. Its the only rc I really beat up and it kept coming back for more. I can even remember jumping it off a barn roof at a friends farm...the battery came unplugged after the 15-20ft leap but hey, nothing else was broken. It was a great combo of monster and stadium that I will probably re-purchase one day and re-visit that good ol' barn with. So lets hear it guys
(no brownie points will be issued for saying mini inferno lol, j/k)

Trickpatrick
03-02-2006, 02:42 AM
My first RC10 gold chassie.

Back in '82. Everybody at my track was running hornets, and frogs.
For one summer I was the guy.

One day I was practicing and there were a couple kids there with there mom.
It was cold and she was sitting in her Mercedies reading a book.

The boys kept asking me to jump my buggy so finally I flew down the straight which had a 3foot high hairpin at the end.

I had jumped off it many times with about 5 foot of air in to the parking lot.
Only this time I went off at a 45 degree angle flying right at there moms car.
I landed in a trash barrel right beside her car with a loud crash. She jumped so hard she honked the horn.
She came flying out of the car looking for a big dent.

I calmly walked over took my buggy out of the trash and drove it off.

I will never forget the look on her face.

They told that story for years at my track.

Good times are never planned :)

Trick

pimpsmurf
03-02-2006, 02:56 AM
XXX-NT

The thrill and power of nitro is amazing. I love my half8 (mostly because there is VERY little maintainence), but the nitro stadium truck is so tunable, and very fun. There is something about the nitro sound that does it for me. During the winter I have to take it down off the shelf and run a tank or so on the golf course behind my house sometimes. It has the OS TZ .12 engine, with the AD2 exhaust so it screams on the top end. It's almost erotic.

-JNY

mOOsE
03-02-2006, 03:27 AM
I wanted a xxxnt too but never had the time for nitro....and never cared to work on them after fixing and tuning all day when I worked for a hobbyshop.

Trickpatrick: Great story. I had a similar look from a women when I owned my emaxx. I had been driving it up and down my street when a women had turned into the neighborhood rather quickly. Well, she was now in the immediate path of the 10lbs monster at which time I proceeded to hit the non-existant brake (first emaxx esc had only reverse). The truck instantly did a front flip and cartwheeled down towards her car at around 25mph. I don't think I have seen such fear from someone regarding an RC car. All went well though as it landed on its feet and both emaxx and scared lady drove away unscathed.

dirtdynamics
03-02-2006, 04:29 AM
My favourite RC had to be the kyosho optima pro.
It was my first real RC i had to build and it was great.
I guess i was 12 or so.
Spent the whole night building it and woke up early next morning to have a go with it.
It was awesome.
I saved up for months to get it with the electronics and stuff.
I remember using a stick controller with it but it was still great.
Just seeing something i built just whizzing around was so rewarding.
:)

Hikari no Tenshi
03-06-2006, 07:34 PM
Mugen MBX-5. It was the only car I regret selling, luckily, it's now back with me :)

bermbuster
03-06-2006, 10:17 PM
My Ofna Nitro Colt It was a mini 1/10 scale onroad and I put a mini cooper body on it. I terrorized the neighborhood with it. I let my son drive it when he was 2 ish I think.....My neighbor thought I was nuts.....when he crashed it into his car I must have proved his thought...... :cool:

BiGRoB21
03-06-2006, 10:43 PM
i would have to say my favorate car so far that i have owned would have been the mini-t. i used to race it in the stock truck class at the local track and own ppl. the looks i got with it were insane and the ohhhhhh's and ahhhhhhh's i got when passing the larger 10th scales on the track were even better

BitHed
03-06-2006, 11:13 PM
...I hate to say it but the HB / HPI E-ZILLA is the best thing I have ever had the joy of purchasing...Now i dont have the experience that some of you guys do, and i have had a very limited number of cars, but the E-ZILLA is fun, easy, powerful and maintenance free...and you can jump stuff and break ankles if it hits you in the leg :D Its NOT but it really IS an EP Savage :cool:

*BTW it just got reviewed in the January issue of RC Driver...

mat3833
03-07-2006, 01:08 AM
i think it would be my mamba mini-t 80MPH baby!! then it went "poof" after a pot hole jumped in front of it, and i sold it.

Matt

auto2
03-07-2006, 03:05 AM
hummm, I have to seperate a little.
for most fun and least aggrivation and work it would be my xxx mf2. I

for most wow factor the XB8 has it is spades. but too much work and stress

I have a carbon chassis emaxx brushless that is cool but I dont use it much.

the H8 is still too new and doesn't handle just right yet. but is indestructable. I think the pit bull is making set up veery delicate./////////////

Inferno454
03-07-2006, 05:11 AM
XX-4 Worlds Edition/Factory Team T4/Factory Team B4. They all hold special places in my heart!

Q8y_drifter
03-19-2006, 12:30 PM
my favorite would be my Mad Force. it was my first real r/c and i just loved it. too made they don't make them anymore :(

hrtln
03-19-2006, 04:08 PM
Even though I been around for a while, I think I would have to say its the B4. That car has been sooooo fun to drive. Very enjoyable. Then for gas, my RC10GT has also been a very fun truck to drive. My first real race truck was a JRXT. Man am I old......... :confused: ..

NitroSpazzz
03-20-2006, 12:58 AM
Favorite would be my Thunder Tiger Raptor 30 w/ OS 32 heli engine

Most fun that I didn't have to care about...T-maxx with OS 21 RGX-P That thing was great bashing fun

bermbuster
03-20-2006, 02:07 AM
My first real race truck was a JRXT. Man am I old......... :confused: ..

That was my first real race truck too. I got it in 1989. My first RC was a Frog back in 1982. Man i am even older..... :eek:

k_bojar
04-04-2006, 05:29 PM
My favorite of all time is my Tamiya TRF-tuned F201 :D Just the look and engineering that went into the chassis is incredible...just like its full-size counterpart (obiviously minus the 4wd :eek: )

My favorite that I was never able to obtain - the Tamiya Bruiser :D 'nuff said :D

BiGRoB21
04-04-2006, 08:10 PM
the mini lst is quickley growing on me. i made a few minor upgrades and it is a flat out performer! handels execlent, jumps smooth, and is quick.

no on the other hand my h8 is starting to be a pain! everytime i take the thing out something goes wrong. brought it out for the 1st time yesterday since i got the pitbull chassis. everytime b4 that i was striping a spurr. but now that thats out the way. i wind up sucking in a motor wire into the spurr while in the air which causes a noise dive and strippes the servo gears! i cant win with this thing. when it works its sweet but it dosent run for long.
also, kyosho has to go something about the thin steering post. i snapped 2 already and need to order another set again.

mOOsE
04-04-2006, 10:33 PM
I really like the MLST too but the diff gear issue is getting old. I am running the mono-tuning suspension kit, twin cobalt 14t motors, 2 cell lipo, V4R esc, 3Racing shocks, and red chassis set. I also have a TLT body and tire set but I actually took them off. I like the sporty-look of the stock wheel size.

BiGRoB21
04-04-2006, 10:36 PM
moose- did you lube the ring and pinion gears along with the diffs? im still running the stock gears in mine with no problems at all!!! i am also running a 6800kv mamba with a 2 cell lipo, taper pins, dual pad slipper, center ball diff, hot racing revised rear hubs and wheel hexes, and the losi hardcoated and threaded street weapon shock bodies. im waiting for the proline cp to come out for it then im going to mount a wing on it.

mOOsE
04-04-2006, 11:09 PM
yeah. Been through it all. Updated gears, boiled, greased, shimmed, center ball diff....Still tearing them up after a few runs. But 2 cobalt 14turns are actually more powerfull than the mamba 6800, aon4900 or hyperions. Started a long thread over one18th about it. Gearing for gearing and battery for battery the cobalts will outrun most* micro brushless motors aside from maybe a 8k mamba geared correctly. At least in the MLST. But thats just from my testing a few members testemonies like acsubie and grafix

RC GUY
04-07-2006, 05:56 PM
I Loved my Traxxas Stampede was my first rc car i bought back in 1997 as a kit best 2wd 1/10 scale jumping truck :)
now i have
XXXNT
Mini LST
Mini T
Tamiya mini cooper
two HPI RS4 rallys
Micro RS4
mini z

BiGRoB21
04-07-2006, 07:03 PM
ya moose i believe it, but if a slipper set right and if it worked right i bet you wouldnt have the problem with the stripped gears. the more power you have you will need a little more slipp.

mOOsE
04-07-2006, 07:36 PM
I actually melted a spur gear because the slipper was too loose but with the stock center diff, I turned the front diff gear into dust, literally. I snagged a complete set of B&S alloy diff gears, lockers, and center spool for 50 off ebay. Should be indestructable

RC GUY
04-07-2006, 08:02 PM
I actually melted a spur gear because the slipper was too loose but with the stock center diff, I turned the front diff gear into dust, literally. I snagged a complete set of B&S alloy diff gears, lockers, and center spool for 50 off ebay. Should be indestructable

Nice thats a great deal I have hot racing spool dynamite red chassis plates and deans plugs and IB1200 six cell battery pack home made 1/10 scale hexs TLT wheels and tires I need to buy some B&S gear spools

mOOsE
04-07-2006, 10:30 PM
watch out running a locked center as my diff gears will last, with an all new record, of 13 seconds :)

RC GUY
04-07-2006, 10:40 PM
watch out running a locked center as my diff gears will last, with an all new record, of 13 seconds :)

Yeah i`m on my third set of gears in four months :o