PDA

View Full Version : Running a 14t Cobalt Motor in the ST

mOOsE
02-22-2006, 03:56 AM
Well, decided to install one of my Trinity 14t Cobalts (borrowed from the MLST) in the ST to see if how much torque this little motor has, or doesn't have. In the MLST, the torque was just crazy running two of them and one motor would actually power the truck just fine too. So I had high hopes. I installed the same pinion as what I had on my AON, probably a 11-13tooth (I didn't count) and took it outside. Off the line, the cobalt has a strange lack of torque...its almost like brushless. As long as you are moving though, the truck will balloon the fronts and take of, also, very similar to brushless. Top speed was probably only 25ish but definately better than stock...lol. I will have to test the new URC pack this week too because my pack is needing a vacation, or retirement. I will post an update once I can eliminate the battery variable but it looks like a 300 motor might be resting in the ST and Half8 from now one...

morati
02-22-2006, 05:35 AM
You've probably already heard of this motor being released (its been talked about for some time now), but LRP is releasing a "true" 370 motor called the "Fusion" (not just a 280 like the Cobalt) that has the same features as this one. One will be a high torque version and the other a lower wind speed version. Tower will be carrying them both......Should work pretty good for the Half8.

mOOsE
02-22-2006, 06:48 AM
Actually, the cobalts are not 280's. The LRP fusion is the EXACT same as the trinity motors (because neither Trinity nor LRP actually make them). They have color differences but the cans are the same. 280 motors are slightly longer but smaller in diameter than the cobalts. They use a smaller brush and spring with a higher wind armature. The cobalts are epoxy balanced, hand wound, modified motors. The cans are the exact size of a speed 300 (or 370 for the mabuchi) but with an open endbell ;)

tulsidas
02-28-2006, 10:06 AM
Actually, the cobalts are not 280's. The LRP fusion is the EXACT same as the trinity motors (because neither Trinity nor LRP actually make them). They have color differences but the cans are the same. 280 motors are slightly longer but smaller in diameter than the cobalts. They use a smaller brush and spring with a higher wind armature. The cobalts are epoxy balanced, hand wound, modified motors. The cans are the exact size of a speed 300 (or 370 for the mabuchi) but with an open endbell ;)

Is that a drop fit in the ST ?

jason9815
02-28-2006, 02:32 PM
You've probably already heard of this motor being released (its been talked about for some time now), but LRP is releasing a "true" 370 motor called the "Fusion" (not just a 280 like the Cobalt) that has the same features as this one. One will be a high torque version and the other a lower wind speed version. Tower will be carrying them both......Should work pretty good for the Half8.

So, with that being said...I take it that you would wait til the LRP Fusion hits your LHS?

Ok, here is my delima...I have a fully blinged mini inferno "all alluminum & Ti, hardened diff gears, and yada yada yada..." you name it (I know its over kill but its an indestructable tank!!!). That is the PROBLEM!!! IT IS HEAVY!!! I have tried running brushed and brushless setups and now I am back to a brushed setup. I started out with a Novak XRS w/ Trinity Mini Monster "WILD". It did alright, I just wanted more. I then went Brushless with Mamba 25 ESC and I picked up two motors to test with(6800kV and the 8000kV). I liked the 8000kV's speed but it didn't have and torque and the 6800kV was out of the question at that point obviously. Also, the heat from the 8000kV even with the motor encased in a heatsink shroud was way too hot.

So, then I tried another brushless setup. I stuck with the Mamba 25 ESC and chose the AON 4900kV. It offered alot more torque than the 8000kV Mamba but was slow as piss. I have tried various (10T-14T) pinion ratios and the like. The basher packs that I run around the house are NiMH 9.6V 1200mAh Intellects from SMC, and NiMH Xtreme 42s 9.6v 1100mah from UnitedRC. For the track I run thier Apogee 1660mah 7.4V & 11.1V Lipo Packs. The Lipo's DO show more torque/speed/runtime but not what I expected.

I am working on a new brushed setup now. I chose the Novak Micro GT for my ESC. As far as a motor, I am still doing homework. Just to get things going I thought about picking up a couple of Graupner Speed 400's. But I need something to race with. That is why I am writing you guys to ask for help. The Trinity Cobalt 18 is a $50.00 Can and I am sure the LRP Fusion is around that. Is AON coming out with an improved brushless mini Inferno option?

Thanks for looking/reading, and please reply,

J2

dj_ski69
03-06-2006, 01:45 PM
Hi,
You could try this motor....
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCNF4&P=7

But for now I see the best option being the Golden Horizons 4700
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJAB4&P=7
This motor is a real 380 Spec BL motor.... Only problem is that you would have to run a Pittbull Chassis or similar that can reverse the diff and mount the motor on the right rear side due to the length of the Motor...
This motor has uber torque and is blazing fast with a 3 cell Lipo....

peace

SkI

mOOsE
03-06-2006, 04:22 PM
the chubby does not have enough power to move the mini inferno