PDA

View Full Version : Nano Dragon 1:16th H8 Clone

Mazda787b
02-22-2006, 02:40 AM
The iWaver of the 1/18 crowd.

http://www.toyeast.com/v3/catproductlist.asp?cat_id=1582&clvl=4

I bet quality control sucks. It would be a nice parts car or a base kit to use for Pitbull conversions, etc.

rustler08
02-22-2006, 02:47 AM
the body is butt-ugly.

rustler08
02-22-2006, 02:50 AM
and shipping is a minimum of 21 bux.

mOOsE
02-22-2006, 03:24 AM
thats still dirt cheap for that kind of radio. Someone buy one and post a review. That may be the diamond in the rough for all we know. Thanks for the link Mazda

Mazda787b
02-22-2006, 04:18 AM
I can vouch for the radio. Some people have problems, but I have had mine for over a year with no problems whatsoever. The stock tx wheel cracked, but it is a replacment with one form a 3pm/3pk.

Who cares about the shell anyway? A Crowd Pleazer will solve that. Like I said, it will be a PERFECT donor for a pitbull conversion, even if the shipping price is $21.

rustler08
02-22-2006, 04:44 AM
Damn, and I just bought a hopped up KMI off ebay for 170 shipped. Damn. Although the one I bought has well over 100 dollars in up-grades.

dark_wing
03-15-2006, 05:18 PM
Anyone knows the specs of the ESC and the servo?

dark_wing
03-15-2006, 11:37 PM
I want one of these in ST version. Itīs very interesting to start in RC in this scale.

arch2b
03-18-2006, 09:03 PM
trc, inc. carries iwaver. will the shop be getting any of the much cheaper iwaver parts? oddly, i'm interested in the street tires

SteveR1960
03-19-2006, 01:12 PM
So let's talk Toy East.

I recently purchased 2 Firelpa 4.0 chasis sets as cheaper replacment for Mini-Z monsters. Toy East payment was fast/easy, shipping was fast (for Hong Kong). One FIrelpa arrived with a rangge problem. There customer service was nice. THey had me post a video of my problem in action and agreed there was an electronics problem. They will replace the board and include in my next order. It does mean I have to place another order -which I had planned to any ways. It also means that one has to be comefortable wiring up the board. I am not, but have a friend who will do it for me.

rustler08
03-20-2006, 04:36 AM
Well after returning my mini inferno, I plan on getting one of these little buggers. But they have to make an ST version first

SteveR1960
03-25-2006, 01:22 PM
My two Iwaver Firelap 4.0s have now gone bust after one month. Both have serious range problems. They also came with underperfroming stock motors vs. the Mini-Z Monsters, wider turning radius and weaker stock plastic parts. As a result I will stick with Kyosho for the future.

Now I see the attraction of the Nanodragon as the starting platform to upgrade if you already have lots of off the shelf upgrades to leverage or just enjoy doing the upgrades yourself I just want to play and do simple to do upgrades without soldering, etc. For people like me, I beleive it is more cost effective just to start with the now releasing (in Japan) ARRs:

Mini Inferno and Mini Inferno ST ARR (http://www.kyosho.co.jp/web/download/magazine/img/02world/rcw0604_2.pdf)

erik_dedobbeleer
09-02-2006, 12:22 PM
trc, inc. carries iwaver. will the shop be getting any of the much cheaper iwaver parts? oddly, i'm interested in the street tires
The nano dragons tires are great, soft and grippy with a good pattern for dusty parking lots etc.

but they come pre-glued and I haven't found a way to get them on other rims yet

puppyonfire
09-07-2006, 02:43 PM
Hi guys,

For those who have yet to upgrade to brushless, the nanodragon board is a pretty good replacement for a damaged H8 stock board. I thought I'd post this so that guys like me who'd like to go easy on the $$ have cheaper options.

The size is a little bigger and it doesn't come with the casing so you'd have to file it down a bit to fit the H8 board casing. Best thing is, it uses 3 wire servos. No noticeable difference in controls but then again I use my H8 for bashing and not racing. And oh, i use intellect 1200mAh 8 celll packs on it

Cheers :o

erik_dedobbeleer
09-07-2006, 03:28 PM
If you live in China like me, you won't find a nanodragon: look for the brand name long-sun and product name 4-wheel cross-country.
Beside the stickers , all is the same, including the to my experience excellent radio.

If hassling is involved I paid mine about 600 RMB or 60 euro includin g6 intttelect 1200 cells.

Erik

MINIz guy
09-07-2006, 03:47 PM
i paid 480RMB for my nano dragon but it didnt came with everything the manual said it was suppose to some with. but still, for 480, is that a good price?

erik_dedobbeleer
09-09-2006, 02:57 PM
Hi mini-Z

It would depend on what you were missing...
Mine was missing some of the little extras, like a small tool etc. but nothing which kept it from running.
I don't remember what was the deal for the batteries vs the car but it sounds like you got it real cheap.

tip: I found that the outdrives of the diffs were not screwed on strong enough.
With the wheels in the air you'd never notice , but the car was not acting as a 4wd is supposed too: I think it was pulling on the front wheels only.
Make sure to check this and put the tension on the screws, or the outdrives 'll start spinning on the axles, especially with a hotter moter.

Where do you live in China?

erik

MINIz guy
09-09-2006, 03:02 PM
mine was missing the servo mounts. also, ill look into that once i get my nano running again, im waiting on getting a esc, motor and batts in a few weeks.

erik_dedobbeleer
09-09-2006, 04:22 PM
Now you mention it, I remember:
indeed it had only one: the one used with the supplied servo.
where do you live in China?

take a look at my gallery to see what happened with my 'nano dragon'
http://www.one18th.com/10616Gallery.htm
the half 9 is the current status

cheers, Erik

MINIz guy
09-09-2006, 04:26 PM
i dont live in china but go there every summer for vacation as lots of my relative are in china.

erik_dedobbeleer
09-10-2006, 01:07 AM
I see,
I never saw the nano dragon under this name in the shops I know of in Shanghai.
So, I guess you didn't buy it in shanghai , or , much better, you can give me a good address to find stuff?

erik

MINIz guy
09-10-2006, 03:24 AM
well, it wasnt under the nano dragon name..i really dont know what name it was under but i saw a shop carrying these in guang zhou or know as kanton

erik_dedobbeleer
09-10-2006, 08:26 AM
I' m going there for a few days in 2 weeks.
Do you think you could get me an address?

MINIz guy
09-10-2006, 02:17 PM
um, i dont have the business card from them or any of the hobby shops i went to there as i lost them somhow but their name is LXX Hobby (i think) and the second one with parts but also cars is called fuyuan hobby(i think thats spelled right) ill ask my parents where exactly as im not so sure

Bugoff75
09-10-2006, 08:05 PM
Just purchased a nano dragon because I had read else where that its almost identical to the MIF. and i figured most of its getting upgraded anyway so...
well its not 100% identical but looks like most upgrades will fit with out a problem.
now for my question. i know there are better diffs available for front rear and center but what about the other part of the center diff? the bit the pinion actually turns? has a nut on it which i tighten down all the way until i have a chance to get some CA but it still slips like nuts. waiting until i figure this out before i install the brushless system.
other then that the only thing that seems cheap is the plastic. feels a bit soft which is really a good thing. won't break. but the chassis flexes way too much. really needs to stiffen it up.

Bugoff75
09-13-2006, 12:56 PM
Did some research and its the slipper thats slipping. does its job way too well. scrolling back thru the post on that subject there does not seem to be a universal cure for the problem. some say CA it, others the atomic slipper pads, some get away with just tightening it down all the way. my LHS recommened just using a rubber o-ring but it didn't help at all. has one fix-it for good been found?

erik_dedobbeleer
09-16-2006, 02:18 AM
Hey Bugoff,
Here's my solution:
-take it all apart and remove all grease and oil residues
- take out the metal slipper pad, replace it with a well degreased O-ring.
I used the standard shock absorber O-ring: the inner diameter will stretch enough to push it over the axle and sit tight. The outer diameter will fit in the recessed space of the smaller gear.
- I also put a larger o-ring: for sealing the cap of a shockabsorber in the larger gear. It is not thick, but the larger iner and outer diameter help handling the torque. The outer diameter has to be right: the ring should just sit put: you dont want it to be exactly centered.
- Take out the spring and replace it with a plastic collar. Make sure the collar is long enough: test first if you can push the smaller gear against the bigger one by adjusting the nut. By removing the spring you can directly control the tension on the center rubber ring (or silicon ring). The tension on that ring will determine how much slipper action you get. you need enough tension on the inner ring to make the outer ring get compressed a bit. If you only compress the inner ring it will get destroyed soon.

The point of this solution is not to get a constantly funcioning slipper: it's more of an emergency-only slipper.

It worked well for me, but I can not guarntee how it will work for anyone else: it depends very much on the moter you put in...

Bugoff75
09-17-2006, 08:37 PM
Thank you for the reply. Actually I tried the o-ring fix a bit ago and it did not make a difference so i came up with my own solution which didn't help either. Turns out the o-ring might of fixed it cause when the slipper works right all 3 diffs start skipping, which is why it made alot of noise and just wouldn't move once the wheels touched the ground. i have upgraded the bearings and while i was at it i shimmed the front and rear diffs. well thought i did. put the shims on the wrong side of the bearings. wasn't helping at all. fixed it today and no more skipping in either the front or the rear. but now the center diff sends most of the power to the front so i added a bit of plumbers tape to gum things up a bit and for the 30 seconds i had to road test it before the battery went dead everything seems perfect. if the material i'm using for a slipper pad holds up i'll leave it alone and just finish upgrading the diffs to ball diffs when i get the chance. thanks again.

erik_dedobbeleer
09-18-2006, 04:49 PM
Well, if it doesn't hold: I saw atomic or 3racing or GPM (sorry forgot which one) has a 1-piece replacement for the 2-gear-and-slipper unit.

It actually comes as a set and you get 3 ratios: cool, and it's baby blue: not so cool ;-)

SteveR1960
01-13-2007, 12:31 PM
I live in China (Shanghai) and had no problems getting two Nano IIs shipped to me from Hong Kong. $159 U.S. delivered for 2. Less than the cost of one of my H8 STs. One box was clearly opened and resealed. Both run well. One was missing an antenna tube, but I have quite a few of those. I also have an extra Tx from an older iWaver purchase.

erik_dedobbeleer
01-13-2007, 02:00 PM
went back to the store and got one for free.
Half a year later I found it stuck with a bit of tape to the side of the inner carton.

Pitty we didn't meet in shanghai: I lived there for 14 months and couldn't find any RC-buddies to race

SteveR1960
01-13-2007, 11:18 PM
Erik - we met by email. You moved to Japan, right? My name is Steve Rosenberg. We had just moved to Shanghai as you were leaving and start up family/work commitments prevented me from hooing up with you during my first two months here.

erik_dedobbeleer
01-14-2007, 01:39 AM
Erik - we met by email. You moved to Japan, right? My name is Steve Rosenberg. We had just moved to Shanghai as you were leaving and start up family/work commitments prevented me from hooing up with you during my first two months here.
Oh, yes, right.
How are those new shells, rip-offs of proline? Could you send us some pics from different angles?
erik

SteveR1960
01-14-2007, 04:45 AM
No problem putting up closeups of the nano II shells. Problem is I cannot ftp to my web server at the moment. The broken undersea cables from the Taiwan earthquake won't be repaired for a couple of weeks yet. I am using an Australian proxy server to avoid the Taiwan routing for now. BUt ftp is not allowed for me by this route.

erik_dedobbeleer
01-14-2007, 11:47 AM
No problem putting up closeups of the nano II shells. Problem is I cannot ftp to my web server at the moment. The broken undersea cables from the Taiwan earthquake won't be repaired for a couple of weeks yet. I am using an Australian proxy server to avoid the Taiwan routing for now. BUt ftp is not allowed for me by this route.
Why don't you just upload them to the galleries on this site?
That way the other folks here can see it too.
Erik