PDA

View Full Version : Question for Trickpatrick

NakedApe
02-13-2006, 06:55 PM
Hi man, I really dig yr thinking.

I just ordered a Hacker BL E30-13L 4200 motor.
Specs:
* RPM/V (Kv) : 4200
* Weight : 48g (1.7oz)
* Battery : 3LiPo - 730-1320mah
* Continuous Amps : 7A
* Peak Amps (15sec): 12A
* Shaft Diameter : 2mm
* Io : 1.28A
* Ri : 0.091 ohms

I'm gonna use the Quark 33A ESC with it.

Trouble is, I'm just wondering now if I made a mistake. :( Will it be torquey enough and fast enough with a 12T pinion? Can I up the pinion size to say 16T? Do I need a 3R 280-spec heatsink as it appears this motor already has one built-in? I'm gonna use the 8 cell packs(GP) with it. Does it fit ok in yr HalfEight? (36mm can length) Any issues I should be aware of?

Please Help.
(I have a PitBull chassis as well)

Thanks, CR

hrtln
02-14-2006, 04:16 AM
I think Trick gave up on his 1/2 8. :( Messin w/ the MLST now. :rolleyes: 16 will be way too big. Too hot. We are running anywere from a 9 - 11 on our track w/ that motor. Thats what I am running. Smooth............. ;) But thats for racing on a track. Bashing might be different though.

hrtln
02-14-2006, 04:19 AM
P.S. You will be MUCH happier w/ a 3 cell lipo. ;)

Power baby, ya..................... :)

BitHed
02-14-2006, 12:00 PM
...yes its true...Tricky sold his halfeight...another one gone :(

Trickpatrick
02-14-2006, 04:03 PM
I am still lurking around.
If you mount the the motorbackwards in the Pitbull chassie you might make the motor work. Maybe.
3 Cell is only way to fly with BL.
Scott and I race at the same place and he is dead on, of course ,on pinion size I would add not to forget if you use the sealed diff it is geared lower so you can go up a tooth or 2. :)

Trickpatrick
02-14-2006, 04:14 PM
...yes its true...Tricky sold his halfeight...another one gone :(

I only get to race on raceday and the H8 was so fast I couldnt get good with it. Realized I wasnt having any fun. So... I went back to a spec class where I didnt need to practice much. And I started having fun again :)

I love building these babies and sometimes endup with more performance than I can drive without practice days at the track.

Done this before, bad habit.

So I am trying a Heli for the first time. To waste money on.
And I will race stock class's at the track.
For now A MLST in a spec class.

Scott is the best racer at our track and the H8 suites him well.
I think you have to find your fun zone and try to stay there.

We have been saying that around here alot lately fun first.

NakedApe
02-15-2006, 03:13 AM
I do get a lot of track time cos I did a basic track in my front garden!

Abt 6m by 12m (20ft by 38ft) shaped like a number 8. ;)

Gonna do a tabletop in the centre; so far only have one dip. The ground is hard clay and there are ruts. I find a harder setup allows me to keep a good pace. Top end is not so useful as is good acceleration. It's only 3 ft wide mostly so keeping on track requires a lot of concentration. V slight adjustments to susp can dramatically affect lap times and even result in wipeouts.

I've still yet to cover some dangerous bits with foam and may do a neg camber at the apexes but this may make it too Scalectric simple.

My wife likes to run the buggy too but it could get expensive for me...

All in all a nice gentle learning curve. In this country, 1/10 and 1/8 scales seem to be the norm but the Anderson's (duratrax) are gaining a following. Some guys at another board are looking for a track that's more accessable and they don't live far away. But mine's not really ready yet.

When we migrate to Brisbane Australia later this year I would like to get a 777 nitro or similar. Initially I wanted a monster truck but a buggy is better in a sense because if u keep the momentum going u can cover almost any terrain. The handling of any buggy is far better than that of an MT too IMO. The halfie is a good testbed cos it is less forgiving of mistakes; it's lighter.

You know Trick, I think the saddle packs will mount on the Left side if rotated slightly a la Bit's method. Sorry Bit I didn't get the URC 8 pack cos I thought it would not sit so tight in the PitBull. I will eventually go LiPo but I want to wait until the prices come down; I think another 3-6 months should see this happening.

At the end of the day, I think I'll be keeping the Halfie for quite a while. Maybe in 10 yrs time it'll have a cold-fusion reactor or similar; or mebbe solar panels.

This board has been of great help in getting started. A lot of good advice that is applicable to any RC. I'll post pix when I feel my track is respectable.

Thanks Again,
Clive