PDA

View Full Version : Transmitter functions

gazzer55
02-05-2006, 05:46 PM
I just got my H8 and My transmitter is a fairly old Futaba Junior (FP-T2PBKA). I am wondering what the 4 trim controls do and what I should have them set at. There is a TH.TRIM and a ST.TRIM which i'm guessing are steering and throttle, and the numbers surrounding go from 5 to 0 then back around to 5. The other 2 trims are low and high TH.ATV trims with the numbers going from 0 to 10. Do these controls make much of a difference depending on what they are set at or are they just for very fine tuning? I have noticed that the range on my car isn't thast big (maybe 40 yards or so). Will any of these trims have an effect on it or is this the standard for H8's? Also I am experieicing some cogging even though I oly have a speed 400 engine. Especially in reverse as it accelerates faster in reverse.
PLease Help!

pimpsmurf
02-05-2006, 05:58 PM
Those are throttle and steering rate trims I think. I believe throttle should be at 10 and steering should be configured so as not to have the servo humming at full lock.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

-JNY
---
If you don't spell gud... http://www.iespell.com/1

bermbuster
02-05-2006, 07:15 PM
what esc are you using? 40 yards is not the norm for range. What rx is in the buggy? Is your antenna in good condition and not cut?

Hawk
02-05-2006, 08:00 PM
I just got my H8 and My transmitter is a fairly old Futaba Junior (FP-T2PBKA). I am wondering what the 4 trim controls do and what I should have them set at. There is a TH.TRIM and a ST.TRIM which i'm guessing are steering and throttle, and the numbers surrounding go from 5 to 0 then back around to 5. The other 2 trims are low and high TH.ATV trims with the numbers going from 0 to 10. Do these controls make much of a difference depending on what they are set at or are they just for very fine tuning? I have noticed that the range on my car isn't thast big (maybe 40 yards or so). Will any of these trims have an effect on it or is this the standard for H8's? Also I am experieicing some cogging even though I oly have a speed 400 engine. Especially in reverse as it accelerates faster in reverse.
PLease Help!

These adjustments are on the TX so you can adjust the relationship between the TX, RX and servos on the fly.
Trims are used to make minor adjustments for RX outputs to a servo and esc. Steering trim moves the steering servo left or right to ajdust for mechanical variations that make your car drift to the left or right. If you can't dial out the drift with the trim, you need to adjust the linkages in the steering so that the front wheels point forward and make the car go straigt.
Throttle trim adjusts the balance between forward and reverse (and/or brake). trim on the throttle should be set so that with the trigger in the neutral position (take your finger off the trigger) there is no forward movement. Just a tiny amount more will cause the esc to provide forward volts/current and the car will inch forward.

Throttle ATV is Adjustable Throttle Volume. Low and High adjustments allow how far the the throttle moves with in the low or high range. With an ESC, go by their recommendations for setup. As a start, set high and low to max and let the esc handle the maximum throttle throw signal when you set it up.

This is part of your problem with the throttle and not getting much current. Setup up the esc again and make sure the throttle setup up is done correctly.

Range is mixed bag, antennae, mount location wiring and BEC. I would check the BEC from the Futaba instructions and make sure it will support your setup. Get the esc instructions and the Tx/Rx instructions and get to know how to setup up your system. Make sure the ant. wire runs far away from the esc outputs to the motor. Make sure it has not been cut, if it has get a new one. Make sure the ant. on the TX is in good shape, not broken and rusty and always make sure it is fully extended.

Hawk
02-05-2006, 08:23 PM
http://www.futaba-rc.com/manuals/index.html

use the link above to download the manual for you transmitter. It has pictures and words about the adjustments and their effects.

You should also consider the possiblility that the rx is not compatable with the tx.

gazzer55
02-06-2006, 03:20 AM
My receiver is a Dynamite Promicro 2 channel am receiver. Is FM better? IS it possible to buy an FM novak receiver and get FM crystals for my futaba or would I be better off just getting an AM Novak or anything else better than what I have.
If I put in a brushless I can run it off AM no problem right???

Hawk
02-06-2006, 03:43 AM
I has to be a FM Transmitter, you can't buy FM crystals to change it from AM to FM. You might me better off with a new transmitter, I don't know. If the one you are using works, use it. You must understand how to setup a Radio, servos and esc before you will have much success.

gazzer55
02-06-2006, 03:15 PM
My ESC is an AE XPS. I think I may just buy a novak xxl am transmitter which ranges are quotes at atleast 300 feet and keep my futaba unless I can find a really good deal on something better. Another question I have is, is it better to tie up the access antenna wire under the body and then run it once up the straw and tie the remainder off the top as opposed to running it up and spiralling it back down??

gazzer55
02-06-2006, 03:30 PM
Hawk I received the towers last friday. Thanks again! Now I can finally start driving this thing as opposed to looking at it.

Hawk
02-06-2006, 03:47 PM
If you want to keep excess wire under the body you can do that. You need to use a piece of lexan (cut of a body or spare laying around) with notches on each side. The wire should go around the lexan in a spiral shape so no wire cross it self. If the ant. wire crosses over itself, it reduces range.
I prefer to run it up the tube and use a cap to keep it from moving. Then let the excess just hang out. It is not as pretty but it doesn't kill the range.

As for the XXL, they are good receivers. I think you would be better off with a more up to date Tx. The one you have is very old.

Turn the atv (low and high) to 10 and leave it there. Let the esc manage the throttle when you set it up.

gazzer55
02-06-2006, 04:15 PM
Ya,as opposed to buying an am novak receiver for the time being I will make do with what I have until I start working again in the summer. Then I can do the new receiver, transmitter, novak receiver and hyperion brushless all in one. For now I think i'll focuus on upgrading the drive terrain etc, in order to make my car brushless friendly. Do you have any suggestions on where I should start? First on the bill I think will be oil shocks and I have to check but I think my motor pinion is already aftermarket.

Hawk
02-06-2006, 04:40 PM
My personal number one: get an alloy motor mount, no matter what motor you use.
Flex with the plastic one causes all sorts of problems including eating gears.

#2: Wheel bearings. Sm00000ther is better.

#3 Good battery pack.

#4 Shocks. Kyosho shocks and spring set are #1 in my book. Mods to 3Racing shocks can make them work. Look in Ronnys corner.

Put grease on the diff gears. Lubricate them. Don't worry yet about trying to keep them from working, make them work well until you get lots more parts and power into the chassis. Then you can look into trying to bias them.

After that look into the steering. get the slop out. Also, shim the axles/pins so the wheels don't flop around.