PDA

View Full Version : Which motor???

gazzer55
02-03-2006, 03:17 AM
I am looking to buy either an AON 4900 or a Hyperion 6000. From what I have read the AON is the most popular choice and is the best for racing. I however will only be bashing and want the engine with the highest top speed. Can anyone give me some figures on the 2 engines top speeds if I were to be running them off an 8 cell 1100 pack and most likely a stock pinion. I was looking into the 5800 AON's but from what the AON rep told me only the 5800L would fit and even then it wouldn't be as fast as the Hyperion.
Thanks

pimpsmurf
02-03-2006, 04:00 PM
With a stock chassis and 8 cell or 2 cell lipo, a hyperion 6000 pretty much rules. With a 3 cell lipo, and aftermarket chassis the Aon will have more torque and just a little more top speed. With an aftermarket chassis and 2 cell lipo or 8 cell, the hyperion 6000L (long can) will be pretty amazing.

Hyperion = faster and maybe less torque

I say get one of each, but if you are just bashing and using an 8 cell pack, go with the hyperion. That is unless you don't have a large area to play in. Then get the Aon. I'm sure the Aon has much more torque, but I am waiting for my pitbull so I can install it with this sexy 3 cell lipo. =)

-JNY

aaronb
02-06-2006, 03:28 PM
But....who has the AON in stock right now? BPP says backorders only :(

aaronb
02-06-2006, 03:35 PM
Pimp. You had the H 6000 with 11.1v 1320 lipo and it died.....right? I've got the same lipo (Thunder Power) and it rules, but I need a reliable BL setup.

I've read almost all of these threads and followed them for months, but the money is only just now available. Can't seem to get hold of the AON so it looks like the H 5000 is the way to go......

Oh I dont know, I'm sooo confused :( :confused:

I want the AON, anyone know of anywhere with one in stock?

I'm a trembling wreck of a man having to make this decision. The UK e-retailers only seem to have Mamba's. Don't want that.

aaronb
02-07-2006, 10:45 AM
After some bullet bighting I've gone with the Hyperion YC22 6000. Getting it off another forum member who was selling up. Getting the mamba25 and the usb link too.

So can I have some advice please on how to get the best out of it.

I've currently got 2 lipo's. One 7.4v 2 cell and one 11.1v 1320mAh. Will the 1320 kill it, or will it be ok as long as I keep it cool?

Also, can somebody please pass me a link to where to find the 3Racing heatsinks as I can't find them anywhere.

Thank you sooooo much.

(beside myself with excitement at the moment :D )

BitHed
02-07-2006, 10:57 AM
...3R sinks from Dinball or Ebay...you will need a 2mm shaft pinion too..stock wont fit...And the ONLY place to get AON's is from AON :D HPI is BEST bet for pinions...Only a couple of bucks so grab the FULL range from 10-16 :D No i am kidding :cool: Just grab your favourite flavour..

aaronb
02-07-2006, 11:57 AM
good work Bit! I'm fairly new into micro buggies so if I come across a bit dense, forgive me. I'm slowly building up a list of eshops etc but don't always know what to look for.

Cheers Bit. Will be after one of your chasis at some stage.

BitHed
02-07-2006, 12:47 PM
...No worries AB...You ask we answer :D Soon you TOO will be the holder of all SORTS of useless information to amaze and astound (and quite possibly bore to tears) your family and friends :D

pimpsmurf
02-07-2006, 02:44 PM
I haven't used the hyperion on lipo yet. I'm waiting on my pitbull to get here.

It should handle 3 cell lipo power, with heat being a possible issue. I swear I'm going to get around to useing thermal adhesive to hold the 3Racing heatsink on.

-JNY

aaronb
02-07-2006, 02:57 PM
Cheers Pimp. Will bear that in mind. I too will be ordering a pitbull soon. But need funds to replenish. But where do I get a heatsink? See other thread.

Bit. Family already think I'm sad and tend not to listen when I explain things. however, birthday and xmas lists tend to show hobby tools are componants. My wife refuses to buy me anything related to this hobby now as she thinks it'll make me more "sad".

Hawk
02-07-2006, 04:14 PM
I will take a leap hear and say that the best heat sink for any brushless would be a PitBull(r) chassis. All that aluminum alloy radiating away energy, it works for the nitro so I know some itty bitty electric motor will benefit.

IMHO

pimpsmurf
02-07-2006, 04:49 PM
I don't know about that, simply because it would have to transmit through the motor mount. I'm trying to find some set screws to fill the extra 2 holes in the Aon so I can cram some heatsink compound between the motor & mount, and the mount & the pitbull.

The aon doesn't really need it, but that hyperion can use all the help it can get. =)

-JNY

Hawk
02-07-2006, 05:52 PM
I don't know about that, simply because it would have to transmit through the motor mount. I'm trying to find some set screws to fill the extra 2 holes in the Aon so I can cram some heatsink compound between the motor & mount, and the mount & the pitbull.

The aon doesn't really need it, but that hyperion can use all the help it can get. =)

-JNY

I do know about that. I have experience with it and am telling you my observations. I have a PitBull chassis, several brushless motors and multiple 3R motor mounts. I have run them with and with out the metal parts. The chassis does get warm where the motor mount is located.

One of the properties of most common forms of commercially available aluminum alloys is the quick distribution of heat to a uniform level throughout the material. That is one of the reasons to make pots and pans from aluminum alloy. Even the really expensive Stainless kitchenware manufacturers use a sandwich of stainless/aluminum/stainless because of its conductivity of heat.

So, I have a motor mounted in a aluminum mount that is in direct contact with the aluminum chassis. The path is not that hard to figure out.

Also, others (BitHed for one) have written about the lowered levels of heat in their motors after mounting their aluminum motor mount and motor on the chassis.

I think you can trust us, after all, what do we have to gain by misleading you?

pimpsmurf
02-07-2006, 06:09 PM
I get you mad on a daily basis. It isn't intended.

I will take a leap hear and say that the best heat sink for any brushless would be a PitBull(r) chassis. All that aluminum alloy radiating away energy, it works for the nitro so I know some itty bitty electric motor will benefit.

The issue is that it has to conduct via the VERY VERY small surface area of the 3Racing motor mount.

http://www.3racing.com.hk/images/MIF002BU.jpg

As you see, the part touching the motor is finned, so there is a relatively small area touching, roughly, half of the motor endbell. while it certainly does conduct heat away, when my motor is 150F, my motor mount is only warm (110) or so. Adding an alloy chassis will allow some heat to be conducted away, but thermal compound would help tremendously. I'm thinking about cramming the cracks with thermal adhesive, letting it dry, sanding it smooth, and then using thermal compound on the motor to allow it transmit more energy.

On the flip side, 2 3Racing clip on heatsinks will have more surface area touching the motor and allow it to directly draw heat into the fins and dissipate to the air (however slowly.) Unfortunately, my IR temp gun doesn't work well on shiny surfaces, so I can't give any good numbers, but my clip on heatsinks get much hotter than the 3Racing motor mount does as currently configured. This is due in part to them not being able to dissipate the heat to the air, and that they have a very small mass to store the heat.

We agree on two things though. More dissipation is better, and the pitbull does help with heat.

With my nitro engines and using a carbon fiber chassis, the heat doesn't go up more than 1-2F, however if you took off the cooling head (which has a much larger contact area than the little motor mounts on the nitro engine), the motor will overheat in no time at all.

I was simply saying that the pitbull is probably not the BEST heatsink, because certainly a fanned, finned clip-on heatsink would provide better cooler. I've yet to find one, although they must exist since we have seen them on this very board. perhaps they were custom, but I don't think so.

*EDIT* The kyosho brand (IWH03) isn't like that. Perhaps it is better than the 3Racing one with the pitbull.

-JNY

Hawk
02-07-2006, 06:37 PM
I am, at this point reminded of the rude joke about arguing over the internet is like winning the special olympics.

Enough.

pimpsmurf
02-07-2006, 08:05 PM
I wasn't jumping down your throat. I wasn't trying to start any stupid flame war. I just wanted to understand how you could say "the best heat sink for any brushless would be a PitBull(r) chassis." I would really like to see some stats. Like I said, you would need a thermister or something to acurately detect the temps because a IR gun is extremely inacurate on polished or anodized alloy alluminum.

I would like to see:
2 - 3Racing clip-on heatsinks & motor mount w/ stock chassis
vs.
no 3Racing clip-on heatsinks w/ 3Racing motor mount and pitbull.

I will bet you $1 via paypal that the only way the pitbull dissipates more heat is with thermal compound (like you would use on 3Racing clip-on heatsinks), AND a kyosho or other flat motor mount.

Chill out and try and understand that a discussion is not an argument. I'm not pissed. If you are, go drive your buggy for a while and calm down.

-JNY