PDA

View Full Version : Tekin ESC Programming

bbking9
01-29-2006, 02:20 AM
For those of you out there with the Tekin Mini Rage ESC:

1. What does Timing Advance do for you and what is your set on? Mine is still on factory default 2&3.

I am running Hyperion 6000K with 8 cells IB1200.

I have set my Throttle Profile to #4 Aggressive profile convex. I had it on 3 it it was OK, but just trying something different.

Thanks.

bermbuster
01-29-2006, 02:25 AM
Hey BB,
how do you like the Tekin? I dont have one and I would like to know what you think.

bbking9
01-29-2006, 05:23 AM
hey berm,

I have never had a Mamba - so I cant compare the 2, but I gotta say - with the Tekin, I like the solder tabs, the hard case and the interface to program it is outstanding. The reason I never got a Mamba is I own a MAC, so I cant program the Mamba.

With the Tekin, 7 LEDs allow you to program all the different functions at a moments notice. So it is easy to change something if you alter it and dont like the results.

Lets just say I am glad I got it. I have mounted a heatsink on the Hyp 6000 and a small fan on top of that for cooling. So far - it seems like a great combination. Got to do some speed runs today (before I put the fan on) and the motor as barely warm (but I ran it with the body off). Just put the fan on as a precaution.

bermbuster
01-29-2006, 12:21 PM
sounds pretty good. I bought into the Mamba since they came out. I have no problems with mine. The thing to remember with brushless is quality battery packs,good wire and connectors. Next is the gearing. Since you are having great results so far you are doing things right. As you go along and tweak the esc settings.....you will be amazed at the range of power software can give you. My suggestion is to make the change and use a fresh battery pack. Unless you are using lipos.....(make sure you dont change the voltage cutoff)
I like to hear good things about Tekin. I have some of there brushed escs and they work real good. I dealt with Tekin personally and they are a real stand up company just like Castle Creations. You really cannot go wrong with either system.

auto2
01-29-2006, 12:40 PM
mine is just perfect.
I have so much (too much) power that I have everything on softest. Until I get some tires for the ST that work it is all I can do.
careful when soldering not to touch the gun to the top of the case!!!
I never had anything that was so easy to deal with.
I LOVE the brakes. and brakes AND reverse at the same time that WORK! you can brake and not worry about hitting reverse unless you need it. bravo!
AON 4900 kyosho 8 cell and STOCK wires and connectors and NO problems

bermbuster
01-29-2006, 01:09 PM
the STOCK (hpi type) connector is rated for 5 amps.....When you get your tires and run the ST. The setup will draw way more than the 5 amps.....
Tell us then how good your stock wires and connectors are holding up....... :D

bbking9
01-29-2006, 04:00 PM
Yea the brakes are outstanding on the Tekin. I have a couple of other cars that use Nimh - so I'm sticking wih those. Hey I am old school. I am gonna stay away from Lipos for a while. I always use 16 gauge wire, GP1100 or IB1200 batts and Deans Ultra (even on 18th scale) although the school of thought where I used to run my XRay is use bullit connectors for easy separation of wires if needed and easier charging.

I have a Novak BL ss5800 in my Xray FK04 and like it. Not the most powerful BL out there - but I got mine used for $125 and it is quick and reliable. No programming available on it. I like Novaks support to. They also give you a recommended Final Drive Ratio to shoot for so you dont oevergear and run hot. Wish Tekin and Mamba did that.

hrtln
01-29-2006, 05:58 PM
I'm running profile 2 (1 down from stock) Brakes are almost maxed (no reverse) and a 3 cell lipo w/ a hacker motor. No problems what so ever. Profile 2 just felt more linear to me.

auto2
01-29-2006, 07:45 PM
yes I know about the stock connector. my point was even WITH that junk it isn't cogging. When my chassis comes in I'll change everything then.
I have a URC pack with deans for the new chassis and I will sell the kyosho pack so I didn't want to change the connector.

bbking9
01-30-2006, 04:18 AM
NOW - back to my original question. What does advancing the timing do for you? I bumped it up a little from stock - but did not really notice a difference.