PDA

View Full Version : fitting a brushless motor

zap
04-09-2005, 01:21 AM
hi guys

i'm new to r/c
just got my hands on a half8 .
really hate the speed it's running.
i heard if u fit a brushless motor to it , it'll run as fast as gas ones.
but i also understand u need to change some other part ( esc?) if u want to fit brushless motor to the half8.
has anyone done it already?
can anyone show and explain how to go abt fitting it ?
and lastly which brushless motor system is the easiest to fit with no hassles (plug and play) .
thanks

zukor85
04-09-2005, 04:14 AM
yeah man... a friend of mine done it... brushless with a heli gear(as the brushless amarture shaft dia is too small to fit the H8 pinion) running on 6cells, w/ 4-12cell ESC....

RURC
04-09-2005, 06:30 AM
ZAP,

It is a snap. The most common and easy to set up and use brushless system out is the Mamba by Castle Creations. First quick background on CC. They have been in the forefront of brushless technology for years for flyers. I have been useing their stuff for many years. They are located in Kansas in the USA. Here is a link to their web site.

http://www.castlecreations.com/

Just click on home then on the right side click on the word Mamba.

Now they have 4 different ones. All are seperated by rpm per volt (no load) specs. They all use the same electronic speed controller. Don't nessarily buy the fastest one. I have them. The speeds are uncontrollable unless you are a expert and have very programmable electronics. I have a Mini T that approaches 70 MPH. So dont just buy for speed. The 6800 is pleanty for most. It will still do above 45 mph. Buy Trinity pinion gear sets. You and get a 4 piece set for around $12.

You will need to get a new reciever and steering servo. The servo in the car now is a 4 wire unit. None of the aftermarket people support 4 wire. And the receiver is part of the old ESC so that will have to go. If you have a good radio set just buy another receiver. If not look into Profi / Multiplex. I have used them all and none are better than Profi, let alone even as good as Profi. The 301 can be gotton for around $150. It will not disappoint you. And as far as service , they are owned by HiTech in California.

http://multiplexusa.com/product_fs.htm

Right now I have one of my H8's running 50 or so and it can do more. Hope this helps. :D