PDA

View Full Version : New ST - Center Diff rough in one spot - HELP

bbking9
01-26-2006, 04:13 AM
Just got the ST. When I spin the center diff - it hangs up slightly on one spot. If I loosen the center diff case - it s smooth. Something seems to be gettign tweaked very slightly with the diff case tightened all the way.

Any ideas? By the way -no motor/pinion even installed.

bermbuster
01-26-2006, 07:02 AM
If I understand this....when you loosen the bulkhead from the chassis....it becomes free. They are the stock plastic parts? You may need to shim or try new plastic bulkheads or even upgrade to aluminum. All the parts are clean and no burrs. The screws are correct length and not stripped or over-tightened.

bbking9
01-26-2006, 02:42 PM
Even loosening the bulkhead from the chassis does not solve the problem. In order to get a smooth spin - I have to remove bulkhead from the chassis and then loosen the 3 bulkhead screws alot. I even tried lossing the 3 bulkhead screws and installing the bulkhead on the chassis with the 3 bulkhead screws loose. Rough spot reoccurs.

No burrs, screws correct. I have tried overtightening and loosening scres to no avail.

Trickpatrick
01-26-2006, 03:17 PM
You have a high spot on one of your gears.
The case is not to blame it could also be a couple bad teeth on a gear.
Also a peice of dirt can stick in the teeth, look real close and scrap them all out. :)

bbking9
01-26-2006, 06:33 PM
So I guess ordering a new set of gears should fix it?

Seen a Center ball diff in Hong Kong. Good choice? $25.

Trickpatrick
01-26-2006, 11:04 PM
Becareful who you buy parts from.
I would wait for 3racing diff's.
The stock one will work I would try a new set and not jump the gun on a ball diff just yet.
IMHO.

bbking9
01-26-2006, 11:39 PM
Could have sworn I saw a 3Racing Center Ball diff on eBay.

mOOsE
01-27-2006, 12:19 AM
Half8 had the same issue for me. It was a combinations of gear and case issue. The case, when tightened, actually puts the slipper shaft at a slight angle. There was a tight spot in the mesh and the mesh was very loud from it as well.

bbking9
01-27-2006, 01:53 AM
moose, did you ever get it fixed? If so how?

BitHed
01-27-2006, 03:39 AM
...3R center hub will fix the fitting problems and then a 3R center DIFF when they arrive...The 3R hub solves MANY problems...

TypeR #126
02-21-2006, 10:28 PM
I had the same problem with my ST gears right out of the box. The 3R diff mount did solve the problem. I tried the Atomic one and it was much worse than stock. It never even made it into the car. I spent 3-4 hours trying to shim it various ways with no luck. Same thing with the POS Atomic center ball diff.

I just wish 3Racing wasn't taking so incredibly long in getting their diffs to market.