PDA

View Full Version : Today is a good day to make friends

NakedApe
01-18-2006, 04:27 AM
Hi everyone,

The HalfEight is my first RC ever! Always wanted one but never got round to it.

Got mine at Christmas and have been reading the forums ever since.

Got some ally knuckles, XP motor, bearings and the Kyosho oil shox.

Ordered some ally parts fr HK. The shock towers, the rear knuckles and all the arms. I'm gonna get a heatsink, ally castor blocks and maybe the 8-pack but I know next to nothing abt chargers.

I'll post a pic sometime soon after all the aforesaid parts are installed and maybe later a video.

O yes, I forgot. I'm making my very own private track in the front garden approx 14m by 8m. Currently the grass has been sprayed in a number 8 ;) . It's turned yellow and after I will put up some bollards to catch the car for when it veers off. I'm thinking a 2ft ramp in the middle or tabletop. Some dips and a few small jumps.

I won't be racing so no brushless yet. I'm leaning toward the 8 cell pack but I don't think I need the speed for this size course?? I will be spending bux on the lil' car tho' cause I appreciate the pedigree handling and the quality.

Actually one reason why I got this car was that myself and the missus will be moving to Australia this year and I wanted something compact that would travel. I'd also like to learn abt RC racing so I can join a club in Oz and mebbe race nitro 777s or such.

Well, that's all for now. Thanks for reading.

Clive

PS: Actually Bit I wrote you an email not long ago abt the chassis... I haven't quite decided yet but gimme a few weeks. Just worried the ally arms will stress the diff boxes when I jump so I may take the plunge wif yr chassis as well. O heck I'll prolly spend a bomb on the lil' car by Christmas! Ta

Trickpatrick
01-18-2006, 05:25 AM
I have the stock arms and have never broke them ever. Just food for thought.
Welcome to our addiction. ;) :)
Sounds like you have been reading alot, and made some good decisions.
Best of luck and dont be afraid to ask ??? here.

When you buy a real charger dont skimp on it and be sure to get one that will do LIpos becase we will all be useing Lipo's soon. And H8's love em.

The ice charger is good middle of the road for instance.

NakedApe
01-20-2006, 02:52 AM
Thank you.

I read your post about the steering and have done the dremelling on the 22 deg castor hubs. There is more travel now and the hubs don't stick to the arms anymore. :) I do like to ride the suspension soft cos it soaks up the undulations that much better but I am using the oil shox with 3mm spacers. Gonna move the steering arm socket thingy to the inner setting but how do you maintain the same toeout? Guesstimate??

I'll reposition the upper arms when I get the ally susp brace anyday now.

Excellent advice you have given. :)

I dunno if it helps but I put some shims on the kingpins for the upp arms cos there was abt 2mm of play. Seems to hold things a lil' tighter now.

I think yr right abt the LiPos as being the wave of the future. Wld I get much joy by using a 2cell pack? I know it's only 7.4V but maybe more punchy perhaps and reduced weight? Would it fry the stock ESC-Rx combo? Imbalance the buggy?

Sorry, lots of questions.

Is it a good idea to remove the rubber grommets fr the stock ESC (under the ally heat sink) and use a thermal paste and then the h-sink, modified for a snug fit? I mean it seems to be absorbing heat from the FETs just fine but why do they put the rubber grommets?

Can the FETs be 'tuned' or say a turbo added? Is it wise?

Can I suffer any long-term damage with this new addiction/preoccupation or are the effects just transient? ;)

O btw, light grease on the Fr and Rr diffs done too!

Thanks for the help. It's a v friendly forum here.

Trickpatrick
01-24-2006, 01:16 AM
Thanks Bud.
I posted once but its not here, anyway I can answer some of your ???'s

Becareful with shims they can bind up your arms.

The lipo should be OK. but I like the 11.7's with brushless more punch for the hot motor. Going to Lipos from say an 8 cell is like just throwing out your battery! But the balance is not afected that much if you put you ESC and reciever on the chassie too. Look at my pic's and others for Ideas.

Toss the grommets and dont try to get more from the stock ESC just replace when your ready.

As Bit would say (Stay Frosty)

RURC
01-26-2006, 02:23 AM
NakedApe,
Would yo please put some clothes on. You are a bad a Bit. You have entered the weird rhelm on RC. There is more shit slung in this industry then any where else. But the groupe we have here is a real practical and straight groupe. That is why I stay here so much. It sounds like you are on the right track with your H8. Keep it up and going. Have fun.

:D

NakedApe
01-27-2006, 04:49 AM
Thanks for the all Mikey! I'll just keep goin' until the missus finds out abt the seccond morgage for da hoose!

Clive