PDA

View Full Version : aon 4900 and tekin wires different

auto2
01-18-2006, 01:08 AM
Hi I got my motor tonight and the wire connectors are totally different than the tekin ESC. what is the best way to get around this?

also the shaft does not have a flat on it for the grub screw. have you guys made one? or just put a 2 MM pinion on and tighten it up?

mat3833
01-18-2006, 01:15 AM
you could sirect solder the wires. you dont realy need a flat spot, just tighten the setscrew with a good allen driver.

Matt

BiGRoB21
01-18-2006, 01:20 AM
I didnt have a flat spot on my motor for the longest time it is ok only when useing 2 cell lipos and 9.6v, but as soon as you switch over to 3 cell lipo you NEED the flat spot. Do yourself a favor and put one anyway so you dont have to worry about it later on. Also, you will have to enlarge the holes in the motor mount for the correct size screw that the 4900 uses.

mat3833
01-18-2006, 01:22 AM
yea 3cell warrants a flat spot tho.... forgot that part

Matt

hrtln
01-18-2006, 05:47 PM
IMO I would not put the file a flat spot on the shaft. I have seen them snap off from doing that. We are running them w/ out, and don't have a prob. You will need a good pinion like an ASC or HPI one. They have the bigger screws so you can tighten them down good.

mOOsE
01-18-2006, 06:46 PM
Hi I got my motor tonight and the wire connectors are totally different than the tekin ESC. what is the best way to get around this?

also the shaft does not have a flat on it for the grub screw. have you guys made one? or just put a 2 MM pinion on and tighten it up?
are the wires different in color or do they have a different connector? if the connector is different, you can just direct solder them as stated above but if the wires are different colors, brushless can be connected anyway as long as the motor is going the correct direction. I personally don't use a flat sport for the pinion and havn't had issues...yet. I am running a 3cell :)

Hawk
01-18-2006, 07:01 PM

I have owned two Aon 2415-4900 motors. I still own one. I also have a Tekin esc. The connectors for the motor provided by Tekin are compatable and physically very similar. All the motors and esc's I have (brushless) use the same type of 3.5mm bullet connectors. Male end on the motor, female end on the esc.

If you acquired your motor nib (new in box) then yours should be the same as mine. If you acquired it from another individual, it is possible they changed the connectors. They are soldered and can be removed or cut the wires and put on the standard connectors. Be sure to use shrink tubes on the connectors that would be exposed after they are plugged in the female part.

Same with the Tekin mini rage esc. They provided 3.5mm bullet connectors that are standard for brushless motor/esc in this range. If yours is not new, change the connectors ( female) on the esc.

Connectors can be purchased from your local hobby shop (lhs) or can be obtained online from myriad hobby sellers.
Try Bishop Power Products http://www.b-p-p.com/products.php?cat=13 for one.

If your talking about the wires and not the connectors and are concerned about the wires being different colors, don't worry, read the directions with the controller. It will say plug the wires in and if it turns the wrong direction (forward produces car movement to the rear) then swap two of the wires and it will turn the other direction. Problem solved.

auto2
01-18-2006, 10:32 PM
you know getting old sucks. the motor had female connectors stuck on the male ends. SO I had the esc with female and the motor with female. I just had to pull the extra female end off the motor. I hate being blind LOL!
So I almost have everything to put this babby togeather, Just waiting for dinball stuff from hongkong which has been 3 weeks so far.

pimpsmurf
01-18-2006, 10:48 PM
If you put blue locktite on the shaft (just a tiny bit!) then put blue locktite on the set-screw and tighten it down, you should have no issues with slippage. A flatspot is good, but don't use a power tool to do it. A small file is fine, but make sure you know where you are putting it, and get the set screw in the center. It really isn't needed if you have a good allen driver, and can locktite it up.

-JNY

Mazda787b
01-20-2006, 05:00 AM
The Aon 4900 comes with both the male and female plugs on it. I had the same problem when I got my motor. Just pull the gold ends of the plugs and the female part should slide right off.