PDA

View Full Version : PSU 12V supply charge LEAD ACID BIKE BATT??

ofna
01-15-2006, 01:29 PM
as above.I have two of this psu which i have modified to provide a constant 12v dc source to my apache.Any idea if the the psu can charge a dry 12v lead acid battery directly using the croc clips?

bermbuster
01-15-2006, 02:26 PM
what is the output in mah of the ps? What is the capacity of the battery? Figure that out and then you can guessitmate a charge time.You will want to check the battery voltage with a voltmeter too... If you are not careful something can and will go wrong. The best thing to due when it comes to charging if you do not know.....get the right equiptment. Trying to save may get you or others hurt......

Hawk
01-16-2006, 05:22 PM
To charge a 12v. nominal lead acid battery (what do you mean 'dry'?) you need at least 13.8v. Low amps ok, just takes longer.
Dry, do you mean no acid or is it a gel cell? If it is wet acid type where it is shipped with the acid in a seperate container, you must add the acid first or there is nothing to react and if you charge that you may have problems.
It could be dangerous to you and the other living things in the room.

ofna
01-16-2006, 05:47 PM
To charge a 12v. nominal lead acid battery (what do you mean 'dry'?) you need at least 13.8v. Low amps ok, just takes longer.
Dry, do you mean no acid or is it a gel cell? If it is wet acid type where it is shipped with the acid in a seperate container, you must add the acid first or there is nothing to react and if you charge that you may have problems.
It could be dangerous to you and the other living things in the room.

dry=no maintenance lead acid battery

http://www.gruberpower.com/images/gps/batteries/550/GPS14-BS.jpg

Hawk
01-16-2006, 08:19 PM
Since it doesn't say Gel cell, I would assume it is an absorbed electrolyte battery. You can charge it but be aware that it still passes gas when charging. don't charge it inside an enclosed space like the house or garage with the door closed.
You still need at least 13.8 v and up to 14.4 v would be better. low amp charge is ok, probably better. Store it fully charged. It self discharges and it will sufate it keep constantly discharged. That means it will not store as much energy and the life will shorten, just like a car batter. They don't like to be fully discharged and if they stay that way for long, they can't be charged.

Don't charge with too much amperage as it may cause it to balloon or other nasty things like discharge hydrogen gas. While hydrogen gas isn't toxic, the explosion from any little ignition source will be toxic.

If this sounds like a lot of caution, remember, energy storage is dangerous. If you need to store enough energy to do anything useful, it is enough to do lots of harm. 12amp lead acid battery can do lots of harm. Treat it respectfully.