PDA

View Full Version : Tekin Mini Rage esc

bigron
01-09-2006, 08:17 PM
Has anyone tried this esc? If so, is it a good one? I like the onboard programing feature. I wonder how good the 8.0 motor is compared to the Warp 4 2 turn that I am planning on getting. I'm planning on racing this buggy just in case you're wondering. I've just about been all through this forum and I can't really get a "for sure" best esc/motor combo for this buggy. I'm a nitro man mostly. I do race electric 1/10 touring from time to time though.

BitHed
01-09-2006, 09:01 PM
...many users of BOTH have mentioned the joy of the 'on-the-fly' programming but according to most reports they are 'essentially' the same unit...

...It has been mentioned that if you are after space savings then go MAMBA, ease of use go TEKIN...Hope this helps...

...My 0.2 cents but i have 2 MAMBA 25's but i would prefer to have one of each....If that makes any sense...I just love plug and play...

cfurman
01-09-2006, 09:02 PM
I just purchased a Tekin Mini Rage and waiting on my AON 4900 motor, which I hear is the motor to get for the Inferno ST. I'll post a review once I get it going!

Trickpatrick
01-09-2006, 09:05 PM
Well you are going to get a couple diff opinions

Here's mine I have had a few and I think the Tekin is very good ,and reliable as well.
There motors however have been lacking. Torque that is.

I like the Hacker 4900. But you will find here that the AON is popular.

k_bojar
01-09-2006, 09:17 PM
the mini rage and mamba controller ARE NOT THE SAME UNIT...no way shape or form

bigron
01-09-2006, 10:02 PM
Trickpatrick, I see you're using the 3 racing dampers. What wt oil are you using. I'm using 30wt with the red(soft) springs and it feels a little stiff to me. I've noticed that about the AON. I would like to get an opinion on the Warp 4 motor too.

cfurman
01-09-2006, 10:16 PM
Can you still use the 8-cell battery setup with the Tekin/AON combo?

Hawk
01-09-2006, 10:28 PM
SPECS: ESC
Length: 1.72" (44mm)
Width: 0.95" (24mm)
Height: 0.4" (10mm)
Weight: 0.9oz (24.5g)
Power: 25A
Surge: 60A
Resistance: 0.0045
Input power (except 8kV motor): 4-12 cells NiCd/NiMH or 2-4 cell LiPo
Input power (8kV motor): 4-8 cell NiCd/NiMH or 2-3 cell LiPo
Power Wires: 16 gauge silicone

morati
01-09-2006, 11:30 PM
I have owned three different Mamba 25 units....from the very first ones being offered to the public all the way to the current ones. They've come a long way in the last little while. My first examples cogged alot.....didn't matter what batteries I used or what connectors, they all COGGED! The latest ones are MUCH better and the last one I had hardly cogged at all. The only time you could really feel it was when you went WFO from a standstill or the batteries were near the end of their charge. The motors DID get hot though and I ruined my last one when I put in a high power (Polyquest 1800XP) battery and ran it till the end of the charge without checking the motor temp. It got so hot that the ESC melted and the motor (6800kv) seized. One of the drawbacks in running a battery with so much runtime.......Anyways, Castle warrantied everything. Great customer service!
My new ST is getting a Tekin Mini Rage ESC and AON motor combo combined with a ThunderPower 2100 11.1volt Lipo. I'll let you guys know my observations when I've run it for awhile.

Hawk
01-09-2006, 11:58 PM
Can you still use the 8-cell battery setup with the Tekin/AON combo?
If you are talking nimh, it is within spec.
If you are talking LiPo, I would recommend another esc. There are quite a few out that that would handle 8s or nominally 29.6volts. I don't know which aon you are planning on running at 30volts though.

bermbuster
01-10-2006, 12:15 AM
good nimh cells can discharge as much power as most lipo cells. Using 8 nimh yields 9.6 v....the main reasons you dont see more is there is no room and the weight in the h8 chassis. 3 cell lipos have 11.1 v and that 1.5v when racing means alot...not to mention the weight savings.
Lipos are definitely the new wave of battery technology......

Trickpatrick
01-10-2006, 12:28 AM
I have run both and the Tekin just rocks 3cell lipo no worries ESC dosnt even get warm.
Never changed setting's and it has NEVER cogged not once.
Full range of throttle, very easy to use not really any real differance in footprint in the car, look at my pics and you'll see it fits great. :) :)

Hawk
01-10-2006, 12:40 AM
good nimh cells can discharge as much power as most lipo cells. Using 8 nimh yields 9.6 v....the main reasons you dont see more is there is no room and the weight in the h8 chassis. 3 cell lipos have 11.1 v and that 1.5v when racing means alot...not to mention the weight savings.
Lipos are definitely the new wave of battery technology......

Good point. The whole nimh vs lipo thing is really apples and cumquats. I look at it in terms of what are you looking for. GP1100s 30A discharge. or lipo 20A but runs twice as long.

The voltage thing too, is problematic. I am taking a little different path. I think there is a weight vs volts ratio that comes into play. More batteries add more weight and adds voltage. If the additional voltage gives you equal accelleration and top speed then you loose a little because of handling. More weight to turn a corner with.

I am going to try the GP1100 nimh, 7cell, 8.4v URC pack. I think the voltage will provide enough speed, and 30amps enough grunt with a torque motor (Aon or Hyperion) with slightly less weight than a 8cell pack and plenty of run time for 5-7min. runs. I still have to weight out the twin lipo pack to get a better cont. discharge rating to see what they will do to the balance.

It is interesting to track this down though. Have fun, be happy.