PDA

View Full Version : Mini LST

pimpsmurf
01-09-2006, 06:51 PM
Quicker than I thought it would be stock! =)

I scored the dynamite 2 cell lipo pack for it. 1800 or 1900 mah IIRC. Pretty great runtime from a half charge and the motors didn't even heat up. Sweet ride. More coming soon.

BTW, I'm wondering what motors will fit in it... if the mamba will fit into it, wouldn't the Aon fit also? I believe the Aon would work fine as a single motor in this bugger! =)

-JNY

Hawk
01-09-2006, 07:08 PM
Mamba is 20mm can, Aon 2415-4900 is 24mm can.
Mamba has 16mm ctr-ctr 2.5mm holes
Aon has 3mm holes on 16mm ctr.

bermbuster
01-09-2006, 08:55 PM
It is pretty quick stock.....
people are using Mambas,Tekins, Aons and Hyperions
CAW makes a single sided motor mount for like $10.....
The big thing now is the replacement gears.....people are boiling them to reduce the brittleness of the nylon.

BitHed
01-09-2006, 09:02 PM
...maybe they should start soaking them in hand cream :p

Trickpatrick
01-09-2006, 09:16 PM
This whole bad gear thing with the mlst has really turned me off I wanted one but they are blowing diffs even with stock motors.

I boiled RC10 part years ago and that would help some but this shouldnt have to be nessasary.

My son inlaw got one but hasnt tried it yet. So we'll see, if had known about all the trouble I would of talked him out of it.

I think a company could make some $$ if they came out with a Ready to Run brushless kit.

mOOsE
01-09-2006, 10:01 PM
yeah, and LOSI is really sucking it up because they canceled the metal gears and spool. I am very suprised at their lack of initiative to fix the gear issue. Sure they provided free replacements but they strip just as bad as the old ones. As far as motors, don't go brushless with the MLST unless you are running a 3cell lipo. Mamba motors don't have the torque and the larger aon/hyperions have less RPM at 7.2 volts that the newer trinity brushed motors (Cobalt 18 14T/16T). Two of those will have more torque than a single mamba or maybe even AON. I am running the 17T version on a 2 cell lipo and I can wheelie all day long until my diff explodes. Now I am just waiting on my FMA voltage cutoff so I can run my lipo without worries!

Hawk
01-09-2006, 10:14 PM
Now I am just waiting on my FMA voltage cutoff so I can run my lipo without worries!
Is that a low voltage cutoff m00sE?

pimpsmurf
01-09-2006, 10:51 PM
Is there a good M-LST forum out there? I didn't even know about the CAW mounting plate. I figured that would be coming.

I scored the Dynamite 7.4v lipo for the Mini-T/Mini-LST and it was working great. It has a charge port, and a discharge port, so I used the charge port to connect a balsa products lipo indicator. It's pretty easy to see the LED.

I'm thinking 2 brushed motors is going to be expensive in the long run. $90 for a set of 2 of those 16 turn motors, and you have to buy brushes, springs, etc all the time... You couldn't even complete a runtime on a set of brushes with a 2 cell lipo I'd expect. I don't know. I might just score a set of those $20 trinity monster motors and see if that will work for me... for now. =)

No damn way I'm paying $60 for a baja motor... That is just silly.

-JNY

bermbuster
01-09-2006, 11:30 PM
2 motors do not give extra top speed.....real raw low end and some midrange punch.......i have the stock motors and they are pretty quick. When the time comes i will drop a single brushless....Aon is releasing something new soon :cool:
www.one18th.com has a real good mlst forum.

Trickpatrick
01-10-2006, 12:20 AM
You have to look for the thread its not on the homepage look in offroad forums general then you will see it. :)

And I agree Losi better jump on this now.
Just FYI its the pinion diff gear that seems to fail rather quickly even with stock stuff and the replacments are reported to be just as bad or even worse.

Just like here everybody wants to go brushless, But for now it's break and wait for parts, which just wont do.

A guy here has a comp X Mamba in his and he has wnet thru 6 or more sets of diff gears. It's his first RC and he pretty unhappy. I just hate seeing that :mad:

mOOsE
01-10-2006, 12:33 AM
2 motors do not give extra top speed.....real raw low end and some midrange punch.......i have the stock motors and they are pretty quick. When the time comes i will drop a single brushless....Aon is releasing something new soon :cool:
www.one18th.com has a real good mlst forum.
WHAT?!
if you install 2 motors that have more rpm then you will get more speed. If you install the same motor alone, with the same gearing, it will not have enough torque to run through the entire RPM in a 2 motor vehicle. Of course if you have a single motor vehicle and manage to fit 2 motors in without a gear change then yes, you would be correct...but I have not heard of such a vehicle.

mOOsE
01-10-2006, 12:34 AM
Is that a low voltage cutoff m00sE?
ohh yeah! its has presets and you can actually adjust it if you own a voltmeter. I hate running lipos without a cutoff and having to guess at runtime.

Hawk
01-10-2006, 12:45 AM
m00sE, let me know how that works. I have looked at them and don't know how to live with them nor without them. If that is a good one I will get one too. I have read a little blurb about it but don't have any experience to guide me.

BECs are on my list of things to explore too. I want 6v to the radio/servos and need 5a continuous capable. I would like to run higher volts to motor without smoking the esc. I am thinking 6s2p to get the job done. I don't know of any receivers that can take 20v.

mOOsE
01-10-2006, 12:58 AM
definately report back when I get it this week. The only time I keep track of the....time, is when I hear the beeps at the start and end of a race...so this thing is a must for me

Thomas P
01-10-2006, 05:51 AM
Big disc about the LST --> http://www.the-rc-zone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=53

Shawns Testing about Dual Mamba5400eds in the LST(il think it will be a Go,this will be one killer)---> http://www.the-rc-zone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6587

Dual video http://www.rcbros.com/videos/december2005/minilstmusic.zip

pimpsmurf
01-10-2006, 07:32 PM
I have to say I was seriously let down today by the Mini LST!

Totally stock. I haven't even used the lithium pack yet. I didn't touch the slipper. I wrecked the rear diff after less than 1 hour of play time.

This really sucks. Imagine any other RC Car breaking after 1 hour from normal usage (no jumps or anything. The thing is too slow to jump!)

Now hopefully I won't have to wait a week for a BB center diff and replacement front and rear diffs to get here. I guess I'll try soaking the gears in nearly-boiling water for 15 minutes and see if that does anything for me. I can't believe Losi abandoned the Mini LST metal gears. I hope someone is already on the ball... I would even accept (gasp) gpm metal diff gears! Makes me wish I got a Mini-T Pro instead.... I could be tooling around at 50 mph right now.

*EDIT*
Man I take it back! =)

YEAH! I hate it when I'm all doom and gloom about a new product I buy. I just talked with losi, and the support person said that it was "reengineered" with new molds, and new plastic and that the new ones are hardcore! To kick it all off, he has some set aside to send to people who have issues with the Mini LST. Leave it to losi to correct an issue quickly! Killer. Happy Days.

At least it will give me time to tear down the H8 and give it the rebuild it so richly deserves!

-JNY

BLACKHAWK444
01-10-2006, 08:27 PM
All I can say is...STICK WITH THE MLST! I love mine. Its an awesome truck. Get an AON 4900 and a nice GP1100 pack and it flies. I also just mounted up my 2.2 rear B4 proline rims and tires. Looks like a real LST now. I am installing my ball diff tonight and have already installed the new and boiled diffs. Pics later.....MLST's rock :)

BitHed
01-10-2006, 08:47 PM
...coool...looks like fun...shame its an import for me...BlackHawk get ome pics of yours...Id like to see it with the 2.2 rims :cool:

pimpsmurf
01-10-2006, 10:49 PM
BTW, Where have you guys seen that CAW brushless motor plate?

Blackhawk: Yeah. I've got an aon coming, but I'm going to have to decide what the buggy is getting. I'm thinking about going lipo on the buggy (3cell unitedrc.com pack) and taking the gp1100 packs I have and making a couple 8 cell packs for the MLST (2 cells outside the box). Put my hyperion on the MLST and the aon on the buggy. Did that make sence? lol.

Anyway, I defintely am focusing on developing the buggy right now. The MLST is just a diversion. Right now, I'm going to keep it brushed. I'll probably score a couple of the little trinity monster motors for it ($40 for 2 @ my LHS)

Bithed: Yeah, I would like to see that too! How did you mount those, blackhawk? The stock drives? The 2.2" wheels shouldn't really be that big of a stretch for it. The wheels are pretty big man. It might add 3/8"-1/2" of clearance. *shrug*

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with it. Dispite the diff issues. I guess I'm waiting on the replacements, then boil um up and slap um in. I've got the BB diff coming, and I'm going to order the lipo protector tonight (I got the old school dynamite 1900 2 cell lipo for $44@ my LHS. I figured, "Why not?"

I'm planning on keeping the MLST tame until someone gets the front and rear diffs worked out. I want some metal diffs, or at least a nice BB diff. *shrug* With time... Patience, right Bit?

-JNY

mOOsE
01-10-2006, 10:49 PM
I have to say I was seriously let down today by the Mini LST!

Totally stock. I haven't even used the lithium pack yet. I didn't touch the slipper. I wrecked the rear diff after less than 1 hour of play time.

This really sucks. Imagine any other RC Car breaking after 1 hour from normal usage (no jumps or anything. The thing is too slow to jump!)

Now hopefully I won't have to wait a week for a BB center diff and replacement front and rear diffs to get here. I guess I'll try soaking the gears in nearly-boiling water for 15 minutes and see if that does anything for me. I can't believe Losi abandoned the Mini LST metal gears. I hope someone is already on the ball... I would even accept (gasp) gpm metal diff gears! Makes me wish I got a Mini-T Pro instead.... I could be tooling around at 50 mph right now.

*EDIT*
Man I take it back! =)

YEAH! I hate it when I'm all doom and gloom about a new product I buy. I just talked with losi, and the support person said that it was "reengineered" with new molds, and new plastic and that the new ones are hardcore! To kick it all off, he has some set aside to send to people who have issues with the Mini LST. Leave it to losi to correct an issue quickly! Killer. Happy Days.

At least it will give me time to tear down the H8 and give it the rebuild it so richly deserves!

-JNY
they didn't change the plastic. The "new" gears have slightly more material behind the gear to tighten the mesh. This does not solve the issue. The best thing to do is boil the gears in water once you get them then install them, otherwise they will strip just as badly as the others.

pimpsmurf
01-10-2006, 10:53 PM
Yeah, that's right Moose. That is what they said. I mixed it up. The older ones needed to be shimmed, but Troy said the new ones are still brittle. I'm going to tune the slipper propperly, boil the diffs, and just go easy on it until we get some good diffs. Hopefully someone will jump on that since virtually everyone who has one, needs one. Otherwise, prepare to see MLSTs cheap on ebay, which won't make losi happy... I can't believe the dumped plans for the metal gears...

-JNY

mOOsE
01-11-2006, 12:09 AM
I hear ya, I dropped my locked center diff and put in the mip. no more wheelies for me. Hopefully the gears hold out because, like you said, this thing is hitting ebay faster than an xbox on christmas.

BLACKHAWK444
01-11-2006, 02:08 AM
I have a CAW kit on the way (also includes the motor mount that you mentioned). I also am running a 8 cell URC pack (not released yet ;)). I will have lots of pics for you guys once I finish rebuilding it!

pimpsmurf
01-11-2006, 01:07 PM
I might have to see about the plate and wheel hubs... =)

-JNY

BLACKHAWK444
01-12-2006, 02:04 AM
Here are the pics...

gopher
01-12-2006, 06:13 PM
what is the best place to get one of these? ultimate hobbies? they say $199 but to call for price

BLACKHAWK444
01-12-2006, 06:28 PM
on sale they are 150$ at ultimate....

gopher
01-12-2006, 10:57 PM
that makes them hard to pass up!

are they a lot of fun stock? I probably wouldn't be able to spend any more $$$.

in about 6 weeks or so, I will probably be able to drop another $100...

I wanted the h8 ST... but figure the m lst will be a better basher

Trickpatrick
01-12-2006, 11:04 PM
I dont have one yet but it would seem they need a 2.0 version soon.
I would wait a bit unless running a couple packs then waiting for parts so you can do it again sounds like fun.
For a RCer on a budget I would get a tried and true 18mt for now.

= way more fun per $$ for now. IMHO

If I had 200.00$$$ I'd buy a ST.

Hawk
01-13-2006, 12:09 AM
I see a lot of currency figures from outside of the US.
When I saw "200.00$$$ " I thought, wow, with that much I could buy this:
:eek:

Trickpatrick
01-13-2006, 01:27 AM
No but you could eat there for a month. :)

BitHed
01-13-2006, 02:41 AM
...SuperSize ME!!

pimpsmurf
01-14-2006, 06:35 PM
I got bored of staring at my Mini LST (currently in a coma), so I got a (somewhat regular) flash of extreme brilliance. I cut up the Half-8's clear plastic box and made a cover for the bottom of the Mini-LST. For the few packs the thing lasted, it was constantly getting pinestraw wrapped around the 2 dogbones on the bottom of the chassis. I just cut out the plastic to fit (accounting for the bends), cut some holes with a lexan drill thingie, took the screws out and put them through the plastic and back in! It worked really well, but I think a good piece of lexan would be much better. Anyway, I believe it would do a pretty good job, so maybe you might want to give it a try.

We could really use a 1 piece alloy skidplate... Even if it was kind of thin, it would be better than landing on a rock and destroying the cheapo dogbones...

-JNY

mOOsE
01-14-2006, 11:13 PM
why is your MLST out of commision? If its the diffs, give losi a call and they will hook you up with free replacements. Mine is holding up fine. Ran it today and it was so much fun! Its really fast with the trinity 17t motors and a 2cell lipo, I don't see why people even go brushless. I am sure mine will outrun an AON 4900 setup with these two motors. The cutoff works great too. Battery is about 7.4 volts after a run and that is good enough for me! I also ordered the monotuning wide-stance kit that includes F/R, upper/lower alluminum arms and longer dogbones....it makes your MLST 10mm wider! Should be very nice. check www.monotuning.com if you are interested. I love this truck!!! one of the best RC investments so far!

BitHed
01-15-2006, 02:07 AM
...MonO Tuning looks really good...well done...and looks nice a nice purchase...the mini lst is growing on me...that or an ezilla..

pimpsmurf
01-15-2006, 08:37 PM
why is your MLST out of commision? If its the diffs, give losi a call and they will hook you up with free replacements.

Yeah, the stocker diffs are junk. I wish I knew to shim and boil them before I put the 3 deadly battery packs through it. Bithed, wait 6 months and this platform is going to own. We just need to wait on losi and the aftermarket to get on the ball.

Mine is holding up fine. Ran it today and it was so much fun! Its really fast with the trinity 17t motors and a 2cell lipo, I don't see why people even go brushless. I am sure mine will outrun an AON 4900 setup with these two motors. The cutoff works great too. Battery is about 7.4 volts after a run and that is good enough for me!

I'm planning on the 16 turn trinity motor set for this thing. I don't think I'm going to go brushless with it. People go brushless to cut out time spent rebuilding brushed motors. What cutoff are you talking about? I ordered the board (FMA?) people have been talking about to do lipo cutoff on that thing...

-JNY

mOOsE
01-15-2006, 09:09 PM
thats the one! works great but the stock 2cell lipo cutoff was a little low for my taste. As it is now, the battery sits at around 7-7.3 volts after the cutoff hits (mind you the cutoff activates under a load). I love the MLST since it hasn't been eating gears. I almost forgot that I had the smaller spur too, hehe. This will definately bring up my top speed.

pimpsmurf
01-15-2006, 09:38 PM
I get down with the mamba's 6v cutoff (loaded). I want to tune it down to that area...

-JNY

pimpsmurf
01-18-2006, 01:13 PM
The upgraded losi diffs are sweet. I boiled them up, and dropped um in, and now it tears it up. That diff grease they include makes the diff action very sexy!

-JNY

Trickpatrick
01-19-2006, 06:07 AM
I have been workong on my soninlaws MLST.
And I realized my 3racing H8 springs work on the stock shock's.
Boiled his pinions and greased the diffs. Put on swaybars ,And his JR radio.

I am going to buy one tommarow. I was thinking i have a Mini T Baja body that will go on it. Mini E zilla here I come.

It sure has a lot of screws for a little truck. If you did a ti kit you could lose some real wieght..

pimpsmurf
01-19-2006, 01:06 PM
You might save a couple grams... maybe 5, tops.

I think I sold my old 1:1 car, so I'm going to treat myself to one of those Airtronics radios I've been looking at, a digital futaba servo for the h8, and a couple servos for my xxx-nt. Then maybe I'll have enough money left over to score a 1:10 buggy. =)

I'm waiting on a Baja body for my Mini-T, and while I wait, the mini-T pro is getting chop shopped and the dual disk slipper and BB diff are going to the MLST! =)

I have to send my Aon back to Cali. because it is broke. I guess Bithed will have to wait to see my reaction. =)

What amazed me was how much crap it takes to get the motors out of the MLST...

Hyperions apparently won't fit the stock motor plate without modification. The hyperion has a little lip on the front, and it's won't mesh with stock pinions.

-JNY

BitHed
01-19-2006, 01:58 PM
...modification shmodification...a lip? PAH!! I dint think you would lose out to a LIP Pimpy!! :p

pimpsmurf
01-19-2006, 05:40 PM
I didn't loose out to a lip, I was just messing around since my Trinity Cobalt 18 16 turns will be here on Monday or Tuesday... :D

As long as we are waiting for 3racing center diffs, I might as well wait on those cobalts. :p

-JNY

pimpsmurf
01-24-2006, 04:20 AM
I got the 16 turn motors in today, spent hours rebuilding the front and center diffs, and got the truck back together only to find that the speed control does not apparently support this much motor (I guess.)

I seem to remember reading something about the speed control cutting off if it is about to overheat. I'm hoping a small fan blowing on the sucker will fix the issue for now.

I'm hoping that there will be an aftermarket speed control. I really did not get the top speed I was expecting from the trinity pair. I'm thinking it is around 30mph with 2 cell lipo power. This kinda sucks because an aon w/ a mamba ESC would have been cheaper than the 2 trinity motors and the FMA voltage cutoff! But I just had to stay brushed... stupid stupid stupid.

Back to the topic at hand. Would it be possible to use a high-end ESC (I'm thinking the Novak Micro GT) to run both motors, or would I need to have 2 ESCs running in parallel. I think the novak MGT ESC can handle up to 300 amps, which is probably well below what both of these pull. I could probably turn the comm timing back up to the (stock) 12 degrees too, which would make some more top speed. Right now, I turned it down to 0 to try to stop the ESC's heat issues.

It's got crazy torque. I'm running the stock center diff (rebuilt w/ losi "fixed" gears and lube), so it's not popping wheelies, but fast. Good news is the motor heatsinks aren't really needed. Kinda makes me sad I got it all nasty with arctic silver compound. :mad:

-JNY

mOOsE
01-24-2006, 06:36 AM
you can run a standard 1/10th esc. too bad that you are not happy with the motors. You should realize though that an AON4900 with a 2cell is about as fast as stock with slightly more torque. No benefit from brushless unless you go 3cell.

Trickpatrick
01-24-2006, 06:42 AM
I will be installing my Tekin G10 pro ESC I already know it will handle the sweater puppets fine.
I had it in my H8 with a 3 cell lipo and it didnt even get warm.

I want the low resistance it will give me for racing in our new spec class for MLST. I have to use stock motors and 6cell pack.
This will give me more torque and top speed.
I am using the dual slipper from the Mini T. And have a MIP ball diff to go in this week also.

We had 5 or 6 in class already last sat. really fun to see them together on track. I was third overall but only had it for a couple days before race so will see what I can eek out of this baby still.

I took the motor screws out and put in 3mm hexx's you can take out the motors with a hex wrench now.

I got a bag of replacment parts in the box and boiled everything no problems yet. Just fun fun.

pimpsmurf
01-24-2006, 12:44 PM
Tricky,

That is definately a sweet ESC. The thing is, the novak has a little more max amps, and just slightly higher internal resistance. The G11 Pro weights more and is bigger too. The configurability is sweet, but this is a basher. I'm thinking the Novak is the way to go if it will actually work.

Another thing that sucks about the Trinity Cobalt 18 motors is the shaft. It's got this high tech shaft with ridges for the composite pinions, and a flat spot for the set screw metal pinions. It would rock, but it's too long to fit the dust cover on. I guess I will deal with it for now since I'm not playing in the dust, but when my friend gets back in town, I need to get in the shop, chop this sucker off, and flat spot it in the right place.

-JNY

mOOsE
01-24-2006, 03:27 PM
thats weird, about the armature. I have been loving my widetrack MLST with that monotuning kit! Makes it the perfect width. Looks awsome and the alloy arms are super light! I will have to get some pics for you guys later this week ;)

pimpsmurf
01-24-2006, 04:56 PM
Well, I had talked with losi about the ESC, and they said it supported down to 15 turns. Today, the dude told me that he didn't know why they would say that because it really only supports 20 turns. stupidity...

It does work ok until it heats up, so I'm going to try to get a fan under there for now.

I also spoke with novak about the micro GT. He said that the Micro GT is being used to run stock-class 540 motors without issue, and it will run 2 micro motors no problem. He said he couldn't be positive about 2 micro modified motors, but also said that if the stock ESC will run them until it heats up, then the novak shouldn't heat up. I guess I'll try that and see. I've always wanted a micro GT anyway to run stock electric truck on our dirt oval. *shrug*

The hunt continues...
-JNY

mOOsE
01-24-2006, 06:48 PM
are you using the stock battery connect and motor plugs? If so, thats why its getting hot. I am only 1 turn away from you and I haven't had any issues.

pimpsmurf
01-24-2006, 07:56 PM
Nope. I was using the dynamite 1.9AH lipo w/ deans ultra plugs. The motor wires are stock however. I'm going to try the stock battery with deans ultra plugs now.

The plugs weren't getting hot (like the stock ones would), but the ESC was overheating and shutting itself down for a second or two. I already ordered a novak Micro GT, so let's see what that does for me. BTW, wouldn't the resistance from the stock motor plugs cause the motors to draw less amps which would keep the ESC cooler? If not I'm taking them out of the loop. They are costing me precious torque! =)

It really sucks because I could have used my Aon 6k and got a third mamba for the price of these motors. Definately would have been faster and the FMA cutoff is a piece of crap. I can't figure out how to turn it's lipo cutoff down low enough to keep it from cutting off on a fresh pack. :confused:

Anyways, live and learn kids... Brushless is king on this platform...

-JNY

mOOsE
01-24-2006, 09:53 PM
the FMA cutoff works like a charm for me. You have to checkout the instructions again. Again, your new trinity motors produce higher rpm/volt than a 6800 mamba or a Aon. So two of them provides the torque. As for the connectors, they will increase resistance and create more heat because of that. The GT will still be a decent upgrade but just remember to direct solder the motors vs connectors.

Hawk
01-24-2006, 11:36 PM
Remember E=IR, always. If resistance increases then something else has to change to accomodate that. Volts or amps go up to balance the equation. More current (volts are regulated by the battery or the esc) also produces more heat.

mOOsE
01-25-2006, 12:03 AM
yepper. ;) Heat is bad mmm..k

pimpsmurf
01-25-2006, 01:43 AM
Remember E=IR, always. If resistance increases then something else has to change to accomodate that. Volts or amps go up to balance the equation. More current (volts are regulated by the battery or the esc) also produces more heat.

So...

7.4v=IR

If R increases (having motor connectors vs. no motor connectors), then the current goes down because the voltage is constant. I thought the point of lowing resistance was to increase amps to the motor... "I'm so confused"

I guess so, which kinda sucks since I took the stock slipper out and put in the 60t Dual Disk slipper from my Mini-T. More for the Mini-T's sake than anything else.

BTW, How do you know the 16 turn trinity puts out more than 6800kv? I havn't been able to find any stats at all. It is certainly faster than stock, but by how much I can't say. I think bringing the gear ratio lower is going to take away what little top speed it picked up. Might help for those 2.2" tires and CAW axles I have coming though. :D

-JNY

Inferno454
01-25-2006, 02:10 AM
http://www.shopatron.com/product/product_id=PAR10086/137.0.0.0.0.0.0
new body, looks kinda kool.

Hawk
01-25-2006, 02:23 AM
So...

7.4v=IR

If R increases (having motor connectors vs. no motor connectors), then the current goes down because the voltage is constant. I thought the point of lowing resistance was to increase amps to the motor... "I'm so confused"

I guess so, which kinda sucks since I took the stock slipper out and put in the 60t Dual Disk slipper from my Mini-T. More for the Mini-T's sake than anything else.

BTW, How do you know the 16 turn trinity puts out more than 6800kv? I havn't been able to find any stats at all. It is certainly faster than stock, but by how much I can't say. I think bringing the gear ratio lower is going to take away what little top speed it picked up. Might help for those 2.2" tires and CAW axles I have coming though. :D

-JNY

If you are going to start actually reading my posts you have to give me a warning. :rolleyes:

mOOsE
01-25-2006, 04:06 AM
So...

-JNY
Mike at one18th sells his own dyno-tuned versions of the motor and he stated that the 14-16t motors are faster than a 6800 mamba with similar voltage. Sounds like a wild claim, I know, but I know mike personally (race with him) and I trust his statements. Besides, a 6800 on 5 volts is only 34k rpm...even the old speed 300 graupners managed 29,000 rpm@5volts (dynoed). I would estimate around 40-45k with additional 2.2 volts and these motors have tons more power. They don't have as much efficiency as the brushless but they are very powerfull motors for their size.

Inferno454
01-25-2006, 10:30 PM
should be close to 49000 RPM if my calcs are right.

pimpsmurf
01-25-2006, 10:57 PM
If you are going to start actually reading my posts you have to give me a warning. :rolleyes:

WARNING! =)

Please bear with me people. For the last couple days I have been seriously ill, and still having to work 10-12 hour days (family business). I'm under heavy medication and pretty much have to struggle to form anything sort of like a sentence. That is no excuse for all the other times I don't skip over your posts though Hawk! ;) I read your posts, but I was trying to respond to Moose and you at the same time. Between you two, I thought you were trying to say that removing the resistance would lower heat in the ESC, and lower amps to the ESC. I've read Learning Electricity and Electronics a few times, so that didn't make much sence. ;) haha

So lets be clear. Removing the motor connectors will allow the motor to get more power, heat up the motor, and the ESC. Which is not wanted right now. So leaving them there until I get the Micro GT in is the plan.

I also swapped the DD slipper (60t vs 54t(?) stock), and I am going to use the 25 tooth pinion for now. Hopefully It will cool down some, or I'll have to wait on the 22T pinions to get here. I don't think I can blow this ESC with heat, but why risk it... It might be work $10 used. =)

Cobalts:
These Cobalt 18's stay really cool without heatsinks. I hope that with the addition of the lower resistance Micro GT, and hopefully smaller DD slipper gears (hurry up losi. It's been over a year!), I will be able to get 30-35 mph (all I really want) out of this bugger. It's already got insane torque, and hopefully I can keep both the motors under the 300amp restriction of the Micro GT. God, I hope so. I guess that if you can run a single 7x1 micro motor with it, or 540 stock motor without it heating up, gearing won't be an issue.

-JNY

mOOsE
01-26-2006, 12:36 AM
hope you feel better soon. Actually, your motors and ESC will get slightly cooler with less resistance ;) Hope the cobalts work out better for you and the new esc, they should be fairly quick and have ubber-torque like my 17t's hehe.

pimpsmurf
01-26-2006, 12:50 AM
Hence, I'm so confused! It would seem that lowered resistance would allow more current, so the other electronics would get hotter. I guess my presumption is that current, and not resistance creates heat which I guess means that I need to read my book a few more times! haha

I mean, I know resistance creates heat, but more current flowing through the motor will make it hotter, right?

drugs are bad, m'kay...

-JNY