PDA

View Full Version : Caw Alloy Towers

BitHed
04-08-2005, 04:41 AM
...Its been exactly a week since release...Some guys just have WAY too much time on their hands...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/bithed/CAW/H8-4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/bithed/CAW/H8-2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/bithed/CAW/H8-3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/bithed/CAW/H8-1.jpg

ixlr8
04-08-2005, 04:48 AM
OOOOO pretty

acsubie
04-08-2005, 05:27 AM
CAW is way quick...didnt they just recieve theirs on wednesday??

anyway is this a known weak part? or just eye candy

WhoMe
04-08-2005, 05:39 AM
Nice work.

BitHed
04-08-2005, 05:39 AM
...ascubie we have been working on these for months mate :)

...the stock towers flex like crazy...they need to be beefier...CAW made them beefy...

lukeita
04-08-2005, 05:44 AM
Wow! Maybe a blue version? :) I love blue hopups :)
bye

BitHed
04-08-2005, 07:38 AM
...there is more to come so i will fill yall in on the nitty gritty later tonight :D

TNB
04-08-2005, 07:54 AM
They look pretty nice, but do you have any colored towers that match my H8 shocks?

BitHed
04-08-2005, 07:56 AM
..TNB we are working on it buddy...I will put a poll up tonight too...Dood those are nice...what are they?

TNB
04-08-2005, 08:12 AM
Should I tell, should I? Ok, I will. :D They are Hobbico Duratrax DTXC3500 Competition Shocks (Front). However, I did use the stock springs and bottom ball ends. By the way, the stock rear shocks are just slightly longer though I used the Duratrax front shocks on both the front and rear. The weight oil I used may be a little too heavy, but I simply used what I had at home--it definitely doesn't bounce like a kangaroo rat anymore. :)

hkopium
04-08-2005, 09:45 AM
The CAW craftmanship doesn't look too good to me. :confused:

I will wait for the Kyosho one. Blue color of course.

RURC
04-08-2005, 05:59 PM
The CAW craftmanship doesn't look too good to me. :confused:

I will wait for the Kyosho one. Blue color of course.

Excuse me? That looks like nearly perfect machine work. You must be used to looking at the stamped or die formed stuff.

CAW you guys did what looks like a wonderful job. This joker has no idea of what he speaks of. I like the machining cuspites. So dont put mine in the deburrer. Also I want the natural color. I assume that it is 6061 or 7075. If I supply the Ti will you machine it with your program?

Get me a price on 2 sets front and rear. You need a rep in central Florida let me know. Do you have a gear hobber. Don't forget to let me know on the wind tunnel stuff.

lukeita
04-08-2005, 06:14 PM
I agree... great job! But please also in blue :)
bye

hkopium
04-08-2005, 07:46 PM
Excuse me? That looks like nearly perfect machine work. You must be used to looking at the stamped or die formed stuff.

CAW you guys did what looks like a wonderful job. This joker has no idea of what he speaks of. I like the machining cuspites. So dont put mine in the deburrer. Also I want the natural color. I assume that it is 6061 or 7075. If I supply the Ti will you machine it with your program?

Get me a price on 2 sets front and rear. You need a rep in central Florida let me know. Do you have a gear hobber. Don't forget to let me know on the wind tunnel stuff.

Sorry bro, maybe I didn't study the photo closely. But I see some "ripple" on the surface of the metal. Maybe just reflection. Sorry about my comment. :)

OneTimeCRX
04-08-2005, 08:50 PM

Wind tunnel work? Rurc, do you care to elaborate? I'm curious since I work with a wind tunnel quite often.

Country Alloy Works
04-08-2005, 10:38 PM
RCRU right on, your set will be raw like in the pics. Email me and we will talk. www.countryalloyworks.com Also lukeita we are doing blue, and red anodized next week. We need to run a couple hundred of each color to fill the anodizers hungry pocket. And lastly hkopium relax, I am use to the feedback by now. Those pics. are right out of the mill with no debur or media polish. Some people want to see the raw finish before the flaws are covered by eye candy paint or polish. We try hard to mill flaw free and nothing goes out our door that is not perfect. Please check my ebay countryalloyworks feedback. So its cool bro. and thanks for the question. CAW.

halfEIGHT
04-09-2005, 12:47 AM
Hmm...how about an exclusive hE orange?! :D

hkopium
04-09-2005, 12:56 AM
RCRU right on, your set will be raw like in the pics. Email me and we will talk. www.countryalloyworks.com Also lukeita we are doing blue, and red anodized next week. We need to run a couple hundred of each color to fill the anodizers hungry pocket. And lastly hkopium relax, I am use to the feedback by now. Those pics. are right out of the mill with no debur or media polish. Some people want to see the raw finish before the flaws are covered by eye candy paint or polish. We try hard to mill flaw free and nothing goes out our door that is not perfect. Please check my ebay countryalloyworks feedback. So its cool bro. and thanks for the question. CAW.

Thanks bro, I didn't knew they were raw and fresh from the mill. Since it was installed in the H8 in the photos, I thought it was the final product. :o

Anyways, great work and you guys are so fast in making the new hop-ups. Will check out your site later.

BTW, will there be purple ones (Like HPI purple)? :)

RURC
04-09-2005, 01:12 AM
Sorry bro, maybe I didn't study the photo closely. But I see some "ripple" on the surface of the metal. Maybe just reflection. Sorry about my comment. :)

The ripple you see is the cuspite. It is formed upon the machining process. It is one way you can tell a machined part from a cast one. Now if he were to put the part in a deburrer all thsat would go away.

hkopium
04-09-2005, 01:20 AM
The ripple you see is the cuspite. It is formed upon the machining process. It is one way you can tell a machined part from a cast one. Now if he were to put the part in a deburrer all thsat would go away.

Duly noted. Guess you can tell I am a total amatuer... ;)

RURC
04-10-2005, 12:33 AM
CAW do you machine anerled and then do a magnetic hardining or do you machine it in its T6 form?

RURC
04-10-2005, 07:57 AM
Wind tunnel work? Rurc, do you care to elaborate? I'm curious since I work with a wind tunnel quite often.

We make wind tunnel models also. We have done them as large as 2.5 meters. That was a 1/2 scale car. We have done lots of avation stuff also. We can run wind tunnel and hydro dynamic simulations with Fluient software. We can do stress analysis and postulazation processes. We have a full FaroArm facility. Not to mention carbon fibre and carbon ceramic pma's from the FAA and NASA. If you will email me we can talk more if you wish. :D

Rcdriver
04-10-2005, 06:59 PM
Great job CAW. Really quick getting those parts designed and produced. And from just seeing those pics you must do awesome work to all your products. Now that is the way a company should do it. :)

BTW I sent you an email a while back CAW.

BitHed
04-11-2005, 01:43 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/bithed/H-8T1.jpg

...RURC...Titanium? Now THATS an interesting idea ;) Id be VERY interested in stealing some of those from you ;)

Country Alloy Works
04-11-2005, 02:54 AM
Hello all. Just so you know, the pic. of the towers is just from the debur process. They have not been polished yet. Also BitHed, can you post the updated pic. of the rear tower with the stainless. It shows the machining work in better detail. Thanks. CAW. www.countryalloyworks.com

BitHed
04-11-2005, 03:51 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/bithed/H-8-3.jpg

these pices look better and better each time i see them...and even BETTer knowing that they ship with their own stainless hardware :cool:

Country Alloy Works
04-11-2005, 04:16 AM
BitHed, the labels, and packaging are done. The labels look just like the blue in the pic. with the Half 8 shock tower printed with it. The stainless I pick up Tuesday. CAW.

half8 abuser
04-11-2005, 08:07 AM
I want to buy a set so how much and who do I need to talk too? Thanks.

Joan
04-11-2005, 08:53 AM
:eek: :eek:
Hi, I want too
What about the shippment to UK??

tornacl90rx7
04-12-2005, 09:08 AM
Frank and his boys are machinist gods .... when can I buy a set FranK ... I gotta have them :cool:

Gregg

halfEIGHT
04-13-2005, 05:46 PM
FYI, we'll be stocking them in the Shop here! :)

TNB
04-17-2005, 01:46 AM
Well I could have used a set today. I realize that I have been running the Mini-Inferno kind of hard lately, but the front shock tower snapped when I was changing the shock position. However, since I didn't want the dang thing to be deadlined, I cut up an old carbon fiber chassis that was given to me after it happened and it is now back on the road. Although it doesn't look as nice as those fancy CAW Alloy Towers above, it will get the job done for a while (I hope). The Mini-Inferno was also a big hit at one of the local tracks today though the owner announced that I was pretty much a crazy dude for hopping up the Mini-Inferno already--the tower broke in privacy. ;)

http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album623/H8_22_HomeMadeCFst.jpg

Weasel
04-24-2005, 03:44 PM
I broke my front tower week a go... they still dont have the hop ups or the spear parts in here finland yet :mad: "next week maybe..." feels like living in india again

lukeita
04-24-2005, 06:03 PM
Ciao!
Here in Italy the same :) Luckily we have good sources for parts and hopups in this forum :)
For example you can find CAW stuff on eBay... (always waiting for blue towers :) )
bye

half8 abuser
04-24-2005, 06:04 PM
Well I could have used a set today. I realize that I have been running the Mini-Inferno kind of hard lately, but the front shock tower snapped when I was changing the shock position. However, since I didn't want the dang thing to be deadlined, I cut up an old carbon fiber chassis that was given to me after it happened and it is now back on the road. Although it doesn't look as nice as those fancy CAW Alloy Towers above, it will get the job done for a while (I hope). The Mini-Inferno was also a big hit at one of the local tracks today though the owner announced that I was pretty much a crazy dude for hopping up the Mini-Inferno already--the tower broke in privacy. ;)

http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album623/H8_22_HomeMadeCFst.jpg

TNB can you make me a set that I can buy off you? Thanks

TNB
04-24-2005, 11:22 PM
Sorry, but it would probably be cheaper to go the CAW route. It probably took me two hours to make that shock tower since I did it by hand. They are easy to make if you can get some carbon fiber (sheets or some old carbon fiber chassis). I then used a dremel tool to cut them out and drill the holes. I also used a mask, especially since the dust is very, very fine.

Since you are in California, you may want to go to RCX and check out the toys. Myself, I'm still considering going to RCX and if it is like last year, there should be a vender there selling sheets of carbon fiber. If I do go, I'll probably purchase some carbon fiber when I'm not hanging around the Kyosho booth, the Nomadio booth, and the FG booth.

BitHed
04-25-2005, 01:09 AM
...KYOSHO alloy towers coming around the start of May, third-party carbon towers and hinge plates (the little oval ones at each end), also the front / rear spring sets and a set of LUNSFORD buckles from a their third-party japanese distributor ;) Its going to be another busy month...Fellas you know where to find me...

lukeita
04-25-2005, 08:22 AM
Those new allow parts... blue version? :)
bye

OneTimeCRX
04-25-2005, 10:51 AM
Regarding cutting/drilling carbon fiber, you probably already know this but you have to be VERY careful with avoiding breathing the dust. The dust is very fine and dangerous, and if it gets in your lungs it'll stay there for the rest of your life (which could very well be shortened with lung cancer).

BitHed
04-25-2005, 11:13 AM
..Lukeita CAW IS orking on blue parts...Or you want Italian tri-colour? :D

lukeita
04-25-2005, 03:20 PM
Well it could be great! Red-white-green alloy :)
But I think blue is ok too :)
bye

plain_simple
04-25-2005, 03:46 PM
I heard that Kyosho will release a ft and rear carbon tower version.. is that a fact? does anyone know anything about this?

BitHed
04-26-2005, 12:20 AM
...KYOSHO will be doing blue alloy, unsure about silver at this stage, and carbon, GPM and 3racing will both be doing carbon AND alloy and local japanese third-parties will also be doing alloy and carbon...

...The CAW units were designed BY CAW with a few nudges from me, and milled by nick at CAW...nick spends COUNTLESS hours on the mill, tweaking his software to get exactly the right piece...A BIG shout out to Nick...

...With everybody doing basically EXACTLY the same thing it comes down to something I call 'Brand-Devotion'...For example i prefer to pay the extra and get QUALITY and EXPERTISE...My towers will be CAW no questions asked but my shox will ONLY be KYOSHO..Sure I will use GPM and 3racing parts too, i am not a TOTAL purist but i try to make sure that my parts are done by the right people for the right reasons...

...Hope that makes sense and apologies for the sudden spiel :o

TNB
04-26-2005, 05:47 AM
Brand devotion? Just wondering--do you own a Losi Mini-T?
<thinking about those great Losi oil filled shocks :D >

Have fun using the Kyosho motors. ;)

BitHed
04-26-2005, 07:01 AM
..TNB i never did have the joy of having a Mini T :D i missed out on that particular movement...And i have tried the Xspeed and the K4 and the Xspeed is still winning :)

...What i meant to say was that i want to go with the company / brand that works, and at least have some sort of semblance to my buying habits...its like i would never PAY to go see a Hugh Grant movie but anything with a Geiger alien in it and im there you know :D its good to kind of know what you are getting into with each brand as they all have their quirks...YOU have lots of quirks TNB :p

TNB
04-26-2005, 04:27 PM
You're lucky you missed out on the Losi Mini-T. I made the mistake of purchasing one of the first Losi Mini-Ts (first in this town anyway) and Losi took their sweet old time releasing replacement and option parts or at least Horizon did getting them to the stores. I gutted all the electronics within two weeks. However, I waited for the Losi Oil-Filled Shocks which leaked and which didn't have oil in them--I just had to add that with all the harping about Kyosho not greasing the diffs in the Mini-Inferno (yet kits don't either).

And although I thought about waiting for a Mini-Inferno Pro to possibly be released like the Mini-T Pro, I thought about how I was "not" too excited with the Losi option parts. I also thought about 1/8th scale buggies and how third-party companies release option parts. I also wanted to run a Mini-Inferno now, but it only took me one week to gut it.

In this case I choose Duratrax shocks, but Duratrax makes or at least brands quite a few products. It makes me laugh when people slam Duratrax and then use a particular brand of fuel with the Duratrax name. Then there are the other R/C products made in PRC rebranded Duratrax. Of course, the Mini-Inferno was made in the PRC too.

My point is that I guess I could have waited for someone else to put all the option parts on the table and for Kyosho to release some option parts or actually get them to the retailers, but I also own both a Chevy and a Ford. In other words, until a particular company starts paying the bills, I'll have no brand devotion.

Don't get me wrong since all of my Kyosho Mini-Zs have Kyosho ball diffs, except one, and almost all of them have Kyosho option parts. However, the option parts are more limited so I can't get as quirky. ;) Whatever you do, don't purchase a Radio Shack Xmod and use Radio Shack only parts and expect that thing to run like a champ. :p

WhoMe
04-26-2005, 07:26 PM
I like my Xmod, but its definatly no race car. Its just fun for drifing across the kitchen floor...which reminds me. I have to dust that thing off.

tornacl90rx7
04-27-2005, 02:47 AM
OK got my CAW towers in the mail today and could barely wait to get the things out of the package... it was just a matter of minutes before I had the stock flexable ones off and the SOLID milled ones on where they needed to be.... The install was perfectly flawless.... I had a tight fit on the rear spoiler brackets but that was solved by simply taking them apart adn reassembling them one by one on the car ... which was so much fun .. i took it apart and did it again ... If I had my camera I would take some pics of the car with the towers on it ...almost tempted to drive down to KC to get the dang thing....

I believe Frank and his sons at Country Alloy Works have really done an awesome job with these towers ... Man I cant wait to see some of the stuff Frank told me that is in the works for our little piece of RC heaven .......

:D
Gregg

plain_simple
04-27-2005, 06:30 PM
An e-mail to CAW just left my puter secs ago... cant wait to order some of that stuff :D

halfEIGHT
04-27-2005, 06:33 PM
They'll be available in the Shop here in just a few days. ;) :)