PDA

View Full Version : ...Team Helotes 8-Cell...

BitHed
03-14-2005, 03:10 AM
...The halfEight runs on SIX alkalines stock...That is a whopping 9.6 volts...We know that KYOSHO will be releasing a hop-up battery pack, a rechargable 2/3A size 1100 mAh 8-cell pack which will be a VAST improvement...But will it REALLY have the balls we need?

...Team Helotes out of Texas has come through with their own option...With slight assisstance from BitHed they have produced an 8-cell pack made with 18 gauge wire and Deans Ultra Plugs...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/bithed/half8batt.jpg

...There are different arguments for wire size and plug fittings but this is what we ended up going with...A perfect choice for those of us not yet ready to move up to lipo packs...Contact http://www.teamhelotes.com for details...

arch2b
03-14-2005, 03:22 AM
interesting.

fyi, the shop on mini-zracer.com (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/shop/products.php?mid=35) also carries deans products

BitHed
03-14-2005, 03:41 AM
...its good that the Deans Ultra Plugs ARE in the shop because I will need one to connect my battery to :) I much prefer the beefy look over Ultra over Micro...I will wait for the techs to arrive before i start spouting off votages and power loads :D

halfEIGHT
03-14-2005, 11:46 AM
Very nice! :cool: That stock AA holder will def. be the first thing to go! :D

BitHed
03-15-2005, 01:02 AM
...A big welcome to Team Helotes who logged on for the first time this morning...I for one am looking forward to having Team Helotes in here to support HalfEight.com :D

arch2b
03-15-2005, 01:32 AM
...A big welcome to Team Helotes who logged on for the first time this morning...I for one am looking forward to having Team Helotes in here to support HalfEight.com :D
good job :) i am a huge proponent of manufacturer participation :D

take RCp's sucess on mini-zracer.com for example

BitHed
03-15-2005, 01:36 AM
...I have lots of people on the way too Arch :) Lots of special guests lined up...

...I hope Team Helotes is going to be able to keep up with the demand for these packs...I have my two in the post already :D

ruknd
03-16-2005, 02:26 AM
deans standard plugs are teh way to go...if you wantto use these packs on a charger with alligator clips here what you do...take a make and make a pigtail by adding wires to it...cut one shorter than the other so they dont short and tin the ends up really good...connect your alligators and clip it to the pack...voila charge away. I designed this for MY 1:10 practice packs that are still stick packs and dont have the bars exposed like my race packs do

BitHed
03-16-2005, 02:29 AM
...aaahh...you charge DIRECT to the bars on your good packs ? Never thought of that...makes great sense...

ruknd
03-16-2005, 02:47 AM
everyoen around here does it that way..I thopught it was THE way...once again monkey see monkey do...u can even peak it still in the car!

Though...my male pigtail was my own invention (though I'm sure someother people do it...it seems sort of obvious).

I'm runnign 12 packs....and three are still unmatched stick packs I use at practice...

I alo shoe goo my matched packs and let them dry in the deans jig before makign them. I then solder the bars on and NEVER use heat shrink...it jsut lets the batteries get too hot

BitHed
03-16-2005, 03:05 AM
...yeah i have a boy piggy on my charger too...have to get pics of that tonight...

...i like the shoe goo idea too...it makes sense to do that to them while they are still in the jig...thats really helpful...but i am pretty crappy at doing my own packs...my iron isnt hot enough and i cant justify buying a bigger one just for packs...I will send my dollars to Team Helotes and let them to the hard work :)

ruknd
03-16-2005, 05:28 PM
bithead..I'm not sure about there but a 40W weller in the States is about $15 USD...well worth it and needed for any RC size above the MiniZ. I'd be happy to sned one to you if they are raping you overseas for them. I wouldn't go hotter than that (40W) on packs and I try to keep the Iron on the pack for no more than three seconds. damaging a $100 matched sub C pack hurts BAD. The Heltoes looks like a solid pach and they use good cells. Any chance on a matched Kit ot unmatched kit so us so it yourselfers could make our own?

BitHed
03-19-2005, 11:58 PM
...ruknd...i have a great 40W but in japan the word is to use a MUCH higher stick...obviously something i need to study...

...working on getting matched AND unmatched cells to provide kits...Do you want bars too? What gauge wire? I personally am swapping everything to 16g...

MonoTuning
03-20-2005, 11:37 AM
Aside from options for H8, MonoTuning will be making Battery Packs from GP1100(Assembled/Unassembled) for it at a great price! :D

BitHed
03-20-2005, 02:40 PM
...Mono please keep me posted on the progress you make with your different items ;)

ruknd
03-22-2005, 04:04 AM
here is the harness I was talking about and the shoe goo idea...maybe its obvious maybe it'll help some. I also date my packs and never use heat shrink (it seems to get too hot). When I become a big boy I'll hard wire

BitHed
03-22-2005, 05:52 AM
...RUKND...looks good mate...I really do like the shoe goo idea...might do that once my packs get here...Mate thats a damn LONG harness you got going there...looks good though...Suppose i have to post mine now ;)

arch2b
03-22-2005, 10:39 AM
here is the harness I was talking about and the shoe goo idea...maybe its obvious maybe it'll help some. I also date my packs and never use heat shrink (it seems to get too hot). When I become a big boy I'll hard wire
would dipping the pack in a can of plasti-dip work? essentially it would create a rubber coating keeping them all together and protectthe cells without using heat in any way. i use plasti-dip in alot of my mirco rc projects but never on something as large as that batter pack

ruknd
03-22-2005, 08:16 PM
arch i wouldnt platic dip. One problem with bigger packs is the heat. You want to allow as much to escape as possible. I dont have may sport backs left becayse even those get so hot that the tabs break away. I know some people CF glue their cells together...I dont like that. Shoe goo is flexible and easy to remove if you need to break the packs down

BitHed
03-22-2005, 08:21 PM
...ok ruknd...you know i like your packs but let me ask you this 'on purpose'...I thought that ONE of the benefits of wrapping / dipping / enclosing the batteries was to eliminate shorts from the naked tops & bottoms...That isnt an issue?

arch2b
03-22-2005, 08:24 PM
thanks for the info. thanks for asking that bh ;)

i use shoe goo alot as well :p

BitHed
03-23-2005, 03:42 PM
...my TWO Helotes packs arrived tonight along with the sticker promo pack for the cells and the car :) Happy Chappy :D I want to take pics but my camera just died :( I will send you images my mind power alone...

ruknd
03-23-2005, 04:05 PM
arch...if you get a half eight we may need to extend the NYC/DC Z gtg to include a trip to LI Raceway for some fun on the dirt! We just got a new layout this week...I cant wait to race on friday. I carved away some time for practice Monday night (homework for fri racing). It's a faster setup but the hard part is the burm into a double landing on top of a table top followed ratehr quickly by a larger double with an off camber 90 degree turn on the landing jump...friggin tough ass. the good part is that the first double causes you to take the burm to keep speed rather than cut the inside...the bad part is the last double is tough to clear and keep speed through the turn.

BitHed
03-23-2005, 04:08 PM
...RUKND...we need pics of that mate...and when you get them start a thread in the tracks section...halfeight can be IN pics or OUT but you gotta get us some shots of these track sections..thats you REAL homework ;)

ruknd
03-23-2005, 04:17 PM
will do but its gonna be tough...thats means time on the drivers stand without my TX :p . for info the site is www.raceway.com the layout on teh site is the old one (which had a double on the back stretch launching you a good 5 or 6 feet in the air (saw a few chassis end their lives there). The pit area is HUGE with about 75 stations all with electric and the track is 100 x 50 feet and impeccably maintained blue groove.

Bithead...frankly, I'd prefer to take a pick with a half8...send me a loaner overnight shipping and I'll get the pics up with a half8 this weekend :D . My understanding is that there are only 2 half 8s in the us right now :eek: (according to one of the RC magazines I was reading)

halfEIGHT
03-29-2005, 05:50 PM
My understanding is that there are only 2 half 8s in the us right now :eek: (according to one of the RC magazines I was reading)

Man I wish I wasn't sworn to secrecy on some of this stuff... ;) Just don't believe everything you read - unless it's on hE.com! :D

BitHed
03-29-2005, 11:28 PM
...we all have secrets hE...like that time that i...well..never mind ;)

...There will be more than two there by now...mybe the halfeight.com shipment has already arrived...Dealers here too are being VERY tightlipped about everything...Its wednesday morning here...You can smell the H8 excitement in the air...

Rcdriver
03-29-2005, 11:41 PM
My understanding is that there are only 2 half 8s in the us right now :eek: (according to one of the RC magazines I was reading)

I believe that is from the mag Rcdriver (ME). :D