PDA

View Full Version : battery protector?

auto2
12-31-2005, 07:12 PM
the way overpriced kyosho 8 cell pack that I got , what is that battery protector circut for?

Hikari no Tenshi
12-31-2005, 08:33 PM
This is just a guess and i'm sure someone will confirm or deny, but it probably drops the voltage on the battery to the reciever so it doesn't burn up. Could be wrong though.

auto2
12-31-2005, 09:06 PM
well if that if right than the 8 cell over 6 cell is only for more run time and not more punch (voltage) which doesn't do anything for a 5 minute race.
on our indoor track in stock form with the 8 celll it is just too slow. not that I expected it to be anyfaster in stock form.

bcuzau
01-01-2006, 02:00 AM
Actually, i'm pretty sure the battery protector is to protect the battery from over discharging.. it probably cuts out the battery when it reaches a set voltage. probably somewhere around 8V..

you can safely use 8-cells with the stock reciever/esc combo with out the protector. just don't completely run down your batts.. and it is faster than 6cells of course.

The equivalent to Kyosho's 8-cell pack would be United RC's Sport42s.. if i only had a charger for Nimh's..

Good luck,
Nam

mnwrr
01-05-2006, 04:47 PM
Bit Hed got me a battery protector for free. I was using it with my x42s pack, but on the 2nd run the thing fried. Made some smoke but current still passed through it. I let it cool down and afterwards it still worked, but started heating up a lot. I ditched it and now run the batteries directly.

Trickpatrick
01-05-2006, 05:11 PM
This is just a guess and i'm sure someone will confirm or deny, but it probably drops the voltage on the battery to the reciever so it doesn't burn up. Could be wrong though.

Thats what its for. Never used it and never had a problem.

Alot of the problems we have are due to our own mistakes.
Also running for a very long time at once is really hard if not deadly to stock electronics. Also popping in a new battery and running right away instead of letting things cool off for awhile will kill it.

Trickpatrick
01-05-2006, 05:22 PM
Actually, i'm pretty sure the battery protector is to protect the battery from over discharging.. it probably cuts out the battery when it reaches a set voltage. probably somewhere around 8V..

you can safely use 8-cells with the stock reciever/esc combo with out the protector. just don't completely run down your batts.. and it is faster than 6cells of course.

The equivalent to Kyosho's 8-cell pack would be United RC's Sport42s.. if i only had a charger for Nimh's..

Good luck,
Nam
Batteries are pretty safe but should allways be babysat during charging IMHO.

Do you have a temp gun?
Alot of racer's I know use a Nicad setting and temp the batteries for the peak.
A little below 120 degrees is pretty safe, over that, is hard if not deadly to your pack.

If you are willing to babysit your pack this works fine.
I would try it with the temp gun in hand and just stop when the temp gets to around 110 it will keep going up after you stop a bit.
DONT leave them alone though it works fine but you have to be there to pull the plug when its time.

A temp gun is around 25.00.

If I was buying a charger right now I would look hard at the new Orion charger.
It is the Macdaddy at the moment even does Lipos. And has step charging.

auto2
01-05-2006, 05:38 PM
I hate to disagree abotu the temp gun theory. You are correct except for the fact that temp guns are innacurate at best and if you happen to have one that is 20 degrees off you are in trouble. check 10 temp guns and your get 8 different readings.

Hawk
01-05-2006, 05:50 PM
I hate to disagree abotu the temp gun theory. You are correct except for the fact that temp guns are innacurate at best and if you happen to have one that is 20 degrees off you are in trouble. check 10 temp guns and your get 8 different readings.

My experience over the last year with temp guns is they are much more consistent than accurate. By that I mean one temp gun may differ with another one by a degree or two (F) but it agrees with itself on the temperature. If you measure the same spot over and over you will get the same reading (assuming measured area is same temperature for the period of reading).
I have compare the absolute temp values from the cheapest to the most expensive (the $250+ Exergen Precision) to the 19.95 Ofna. They are almost always, if care is taken to measure the same spot, within 1-3 degrees of each other. The only time I for sure got a different reading in error was when the battery was near shutdown voltage and when the ambient temperature was over 104f. If you leave the temp gun on a table in direct sun light and the air temp is 105f, my cheapo Ofna orange temp gun was acting funny. After I put it in a pocket for a while (and could touch it for longer than two seconds) it worked fine.

Trickpatrick
01-05-2006, 06:19 PM
There is some differance forsure but this method does work very well
I can say from my experience and many others too.

The one thing to add would be you need to check all the cells while doing this.

Its not that hard to tell if your temp gun is off.
I would suggest if posible to compare a couple at the store for accuracy before purchase.