PDA

View Full Version : Any upgrades??

ofna
12-26-2005, 11:23 AM
I just upgrade my inferno with xspeed motor and bearings for the diff.I am running on 2S lipo and looks that the speed does indeed increase.Using the stock esc/rx unit can the xspeed take in 3s 11.4v lipo?Thanks.Anything which i could add in with low cost?

bermbuster
12-26-2005, 12:44 PM
Welcome to the board......
The stock esc cannot handle the 11.1v of 3 cell lipo. You need a 1/10 scale esc that can handle 10 cells......You will also have to upgrade the radio and your servo. Someone else posted here how they ran an x speed on 11.1v with good results.
a 8 cell gp1100 pack (9.6v) will give you excellent results(speedwise) using the stock esc/x speed. Depending on the gearing, road surface and your driving style the motor will get HOT.....

ofna
12-26-2005, 01:16 PM
Thanks! so my next option is to run it with 2/3 sub c packs...with Xspeed.Hope it gives enuf juice for the xspeed.Do i need to change my stock pinion with this setup?

bermbuster
12-26-2005, 02:15 PM
If you are searching for top speed get a larger pinion. This will heat up the motor.....try the stock pinion. I myself like the quick acceleration of a smaller pinion. Helps me to get out of trouble quickly..... :cool:
the gp1100s are 2/3a cells....not sc..... :)

ofna
12-26-2005, 03:29 PM
just finish soldering.Was wondering how it works with sanyo 2500mah and GP1300Mah rechargeable batt.Mod the batt compartment to slot in another pair of batt to make it 9.6v.It doesnt look much speed increment though.Isit the pinion/??Btw,our stock pinion is 12T or 14T?what pinion size wld i need to get it top speed?Im prepare to put heatsink over the motor... ;) ;) ;) ;)

bermbuster
12-26-2005, 03:51 PM
those cells are aa in size??? and fit into the aa battery holder. They will be an improvement over alkalines but not as much as the 2/3 a cells. aa cells cannot discharge power like 2/3 a cells.....
the stock pinion is 14t. Kyosho sells a 16t. I havent tried but you might be able to go even larger. (slots in chassis may need elongating)

ofna
12-26-2005, 05:06 PM
the one i am testing out now are AA rechargeables.Mayb will see any changes.Any 2/3A batt to recommend?Mostly i see are 1100mah.Thinkn of intellect and Titanium.ANy good online shops...?Mayb after modding i will change to 16T.

bermbuster
12-26-2005, 07:41 PM
If you like building packs get gp1100s , Intellect 1200s. You can try some house brands cells too www.unitedrc.com has cells for $1 a cell. They are selling there premade sport pack s42 for $12.50 (i use them) Another place you can check out is www.cheapbatterypacks.com

tulsidas
12-27-2005, 01:57 AM
If you like building packs get gp1100s , Intellect 1200s. You can try some house brands cells too www.unitedrc.com has cells for $1 a cell. They are selling there premade sport pack s42 for $12.50 (i use them) Another place you can check out is www.cheapbatterypacks.com

How wud you rate the s42 against the x42 ?

BitHed
12-27-2005, 02:11 AM
...adding an X to ANYTHING makes it faster ;) The X pack is GP1100's...the S pack isnt :)

bermbuster
12-27-2005, 02:44 AM
On a scale of 1 to 10 the gp1100s (x) get the 10. the urc1100s (s) get an 8. My GP cells work really well.I have been using them for a year now.They always take a full charge and I frequently charge them at 2 amps..... My URC cells are new and I do not have a real history as of yet. They have been taking full charges(1.5 a) and give great performance. Im going to see what they can do with a mamba. If they work good I will change my rating to a 9.

Bit is right the X factor means business........ :cool:

ofna
12-27-2005, 10:20 AM
Can I use Apache 2030 charger to charge the cellpack or is there any other charger that you guys use to charge the battery?

bermbuster
12-27-2005, 10:50 AM
the apache 2030 will work fine. Set it at 1200ma. It will charge your 1100mah pack in about 55 minutes.

ofna
12-28-2005, 07:18 AM
HI guys.Thanks for the tips.I have got myself some GP1100 batts.Have not solder them yet.Also purchase the intellect 1200 ready solder and heatwrap ,ready to just load in the inferno.All i can say with the stock gear and Intellect,and XSPEED motor...the inferno is burning tracks man....HA! Hope the GP batt will perfrom even better.Any pics of your inferno to share/.?

tulsidas
12-28-2005, 08:23 AM
On a scale of 1 to 10 the gp1100s (x) get the 10. the urc1100s (s) get an 8. My GP cells work really well.I have been using them for a year now.They always take a full charge and I frequently charge them at 2 amps..... My URC cells are new and I do not have a real history as of yet. They have been taking full charges(1.5 a) and give great performance. Im going to see what they can do with a mamba. If they work good I will change my rating to a 9.

Bit is right the X factor means business........ :cool:

Do you see a noticeable difference in speed between the two packs? With the current price can almost buy 3 of the s42 packs for 1 of the x42

bermbuster
12-28-2005, 11:40 AM
If you are bashing, having fun, doing entry level racing the s 42s are fine.
They provide really good power. I even tried them in my sons mamba powered buggy. (no cogging and the buggy was fast). I wish I had a radar gun so my findings would have real numbers for a comparison.

If you like to have the best of everything, race seriously get the GPs.
Since you are using the Apache charger you will not be able to charge the GP1100s to there full potential. (2 amps) I dont think the URC cells can handle that kind of amperage. With a 2 amp charge the battery pack has even more punch........the downside to high amp charging is the packs will not last as long. When you are seriously racing and every second makes a diffference you need these packs.

ofna
12-29-2005, 05:15 PM
Got a feel with the intellect and the buggy burst down the tracks...anyway I have solder the GP batt and will find out the performance.My solder sucks as I dont really have a proper jig..should have gotten a ready made GP pack..

ofna
01-01-2006, 05:01 AM
Some updates.Include some evil blue leds...heheh.Get the GP packs resolder at a LHS.and now its kicking!

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a260/paneuro/Miniinfernomodified014.jpg

racermike
01-06-2006, 02:22 AM
I got a pair of the sport 42s, but still have the stock motor. I can see a definate speed increase, but still seems a little sluggish. I also have bearings installed. How much performance increase would I see going to the speed motor from the stock with the 8 cell battery?

Thanks

Mike

bermbuster
01-06-2006, 02:36 AM
did you do the slipper modification with the rubber (neoprene) washer?
The x speed will give you a few more mph.....i wanna say mine goes about 22mph...if i up the pinion to 16 she will hit 25......They do not go at earth shattering speed but they are stable and predictable....

racermike
01-06-2006, 02:41 AM
I don't need supersonic speed, but I have a Mini T with 6 cells and a mod motor that cleans my Half8's clock. It's embarrassing......

bermbuster
01-06-2006, 10:30 AM
you are comparing apples to oranges......lighter 2wd vs heavier 4wd.
i didnt order one yet but my next brushed motor will be the K4 from United RC.
That will most likely be the quickest brushed set up with stock electronics and 8 cell s42s.

ofna
01-06-2006, 11:11 AM
you are comparing apples to oranges......lighter 2wd vs heavier 4wd.
i didnt order one yet but my next brushed motor will be the K4 from United RC.
That will most likely be the quickest brushed set up with stock electronics and 8 cell s42s.

faster than mambas?

bermbuster
01-06-2006, 01:56 PM
not faster than a mamba....mamba is "brushless"

racermike
01-07-2006, 01:58 AM
Gotcha on the apples to oranges thing.

Can you run brushless on the NiMH batteries, or do you need LiPo's?

Hawk
01-07-2006, 02:04 AM
Gotcha on the apples to oranges thing.

Can you run brushless on the NiMH batteries, or do you need LiPo's?
You most certainly can run brushless on nimhs. The URC GP1100's put out 30A continuous, just what those Amp burners need.

Just remember 5000Kv is 5000 rpm per volt. 2 cell LiPo is 7.4v (not really, freshly charged it should be 8.39v and the voltage doesn't drop as quickly as nimh) and 3 cell is 11.1v.

They are lighter than nimhs (higher energy density) but if you don't want to hassle with them (charger, puncture, charge/discharge sensitivity) then nimhs work nicely.

bermbuster
01-07-2006, 02:08 AM
you can run brushless with the nimh.....the truth is the right lipos will give you
even more speed..... with the right brushless motor/ battery/charger combo the H8 will be 40 + mph.....the upfront cost will be about $10 per mph.....

racermike
01-07-2006, 05:27 PM
I just bought an MRC 959 and don't want it to go to waste. I don't wanna have to fork out another $90+ for something that charges lithium's, either. Plus, I have plenty of NiMh's to last me awhile. I was just curious because it seems that brushless motors are alot easier to find for these things than brushed motors. Bad part is, then I have to also go buy an ESC and receiver, and most likely a new servo to fit the new receiver. I think I will stick with what I have now, especially since there is no where to even run this thing around here until it gets warmer again. I will just read, shop, read some more, shop some more, until I decide otherwise, and use what I already have. I still need to get some oil shocks too!

bermbuster
01-07-2006, 05:44 PM
im running the kyoshi x speed motor with urc s42s and i am very happy. It is plenty of speed to jump and have fun. i say it goes about 22 mph my son has a mamba powered buggy(5400) w intellect 1200 cells and it is faster... over 30mph....

Trickpatrick
01-07-2006, 06:17 PM
There are days when I wish I had never went brushless.
The Xspeed is good and even better with Lipos.

It wasnt till I went Bl that the drivetrain started to go everytime you fix it the next link will go untill its all aftermarket.

After going BL you really cant go back but be prepared to spend more $$ after you put it in. The speped and torque if you buy the right stuff is very addicting. :) :) :) :)

One thing to consider is the flex in the chassie.
Take your buggy in your hands on each shock tower and twist it.
Look very carefully at the pinion and spur gear lash you will see them pull apart and push together.
This wasn't a problem with a brush motor, but brushless seems to flex it enough that you start stripping the Spur gear out real fast.

The last time (before my Pittbull install) it broke teeth out like it had come apart and came back landing on a tooth just broke one tooth out clean.

This car starts out as a toy with potential and its up too you to get it right.

If you read the boards you can see the new MLST is suffering the same type of problems has great potential, but wasnt really up to BL yet.

IMHO

QuickEight
01-07-2006, 10:34 PM
Hey Trickster,

Was just browsing your gallery and noticed that really kool stiffy you have.

So, my questions;

Did you make it yourself?

Do you have a drawing of your stiffy?

Thanks.

Control of this thread is now returned to the rightful owner. :)

Trickpatrick
01-08-2006, 02:55 AM
Hi
Thanks.
I am a Big Xray fan so I have lots of parts.

The top plate is an Xray Evo top plate flipped front to back and trimed up a bit.
I think you could buy a new one under 20.00 bucks it was easy and with the Pitbull ( Thanks Bit) it is bulletproof soild as a brick.
I cut a small slit in the back and slid it where the old one comes out and drilled new holes in it to match the old plate. Very nice fit. In the front I attatch it through the exsiting holes in the steering plate.