PDA

View Full Version : Jumping into 1/16

Hikari no Tenshi
12-25-2005, 03:13 AM
Hello, my name is Adam and this is my first mini size car, i've been doing other scales for about 10 years now, but couldn't resist the Mini Inferno. Little different than what i'm used to (not so many "need to replace" parts) but i'm making the transition well, I think. I paint lexan and go to school full time and i'm also interested in full size cars.
So far i've got bearings in the inferno. But i've got CF towers and saver plates on the way along with Ti suspension bits and torque rods. Kyosho shocks and Proline tires and bodies are on the way as well... i'm going to be busy. Anyway, look forward to talking with you guys and trying to get the Half 8 class going locally. Initial testing at the track was lack luster, but i'm hoping to bolster that with mine and get some more guys into it. Cheers!

mat3833
12-25-2005, 03:17 AM
cf towers are bad for the front, everything esle is good. look into an aluminum motor mount and center diff housing. welcome to the forums and hope you stay!!

Matty

Hikari no Tenshi
12-25-2005, 03:24 AM
If I may inquire, what makes them a bad decision for the front? I just ordered them because the stocker reminded me of a twizzler. Just curious, i've been combing the forums for a few days now and didn't see anything on it. I'm trying to go kinda slow on the upgrades (SO ADDICTING!) but i'm sure i'll eventually bump up the mount (for a hotter motor) see how that goes. First things first, gotta get it fully functional.

bermbuster
12-25-2005, 03:36 AM
welcome Adam....I believe they break.....the cf towers.....on a buggy the tower takes a lot of punishment.....Because they put so many holes in it for adjustability they usually break off.....I think you want the motormount right off......when you run and the motor gets hot.....the plastic motormount will get warm and float.....this may make your pinion grind the center diff.....
the other part you need are the steering hubs or knuckles. the stock plastic ones strip out.....you get the aluminum ones use some locktite and your good to go........

DrVonHoSS
12-25-2005, 03:50 AM
If I may inquire, what makes them a bad decision for the front? I just ordered them because the stocker reminded me of a twizzler. Just curious, i've been combing the forums for a few days now and didn't see anything on it. I'm trying to go kinda slow on the upgrades (SO ADDICTING!) but i'm sure i'll eventually bump up the mount (for a hotter motor) see how that goes. First things first, gotta get it fully functional.

Hikari,,

I posted a bunch or pics, a video, and my experiences with racing the HALF8.
Heres the Link.. Local Races (http://halfeight.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1298) You may find some of the info useful if you try and get some HALF8 races going in your area.
The HALF8 is great for racing... we have been having some really close competition.

Neil

Hikari no Tenshi
12-25-2005, 04:13 AM
I'll look into the mounts guys. Right now i'm in the early testing stages with the car, trying to see what it does, how it reacts, etc. Hopefully I can get some conclusive testing on Friday at the track. At any rate, i'll probably pick up the Kyosho mount. Good info Hoss. And beautiful looking buggies, can't wait to lay down some paint on a Crowd Pleazer 2.0. Hoping to have at least a decent running package together by next Friday, although i'll probably run alkalines that day and just run during practice heats. I want to get the car close before I start fighting with some other cars. I think i'll give the CF ones a go and keep the stockie with me. If it breaks, i'm out 12 bucks. Oh well. I'll keep looking for good info guys. Thanks.

racermike
12-25-2005, 06:43 PM
Berm......that is an interesting read, about the motor plate. I guess I didn't think of that at all. Thanks for pointing that out! Now there's something else I have to add to my 'to-get' list........errrr, thanks again? LOL! So much for an 'inexpensive' hobby!

Hikari no Tenshi
12-25-2005, 08:38 PM
Mike, after my 2500 dollar 1/8 scale buggy, my 2000 dollar LST and some others I won't mention, this hobby is redicuolously cheap :)

Hawk
12-25-2005, 10:26 PM
Mike, after my 2500 dollar 1/8 scale buggy, my 2000 dollar LST and some others I won't mention, this hobby is redicuolously cheap :)
:D Yes, indeed. I have been saying this for a while now but people complain no matter how good they have it.

If you want to sink money fast into a hobby, try off shore powerboat racing. Your calculator dont count that high, but there is nothing to beat the thrill. :cool:

Hikari no Tenshi
12-25-2005, 10:30 PM
Hawk has an excellent point there. I know a couple of guys from Cigarette boats. I'm all for water sports, but those boat prices are outrageous. I know a lot of guy in the Champ boat series too. And some hydro racers. Man, I didn't know I was so far into boating. At any rate, it gets expensive in a hurry, I'll take my 400 dollar mini inferno any day. And thats for everything, not just the car and parts. Lol.

racermike
12-25-2005, 10:46 PM
Nah...you don't have to tell me about BIG dollar hobbies.......(Note pic in avatar)

Hawk
12-26-2005, 03:24 AM
That's what I'm talking about. :cool:

Hikari no Tenshi
12-26-2005, 08:50 AM
I know a few guys in Outlaw too (don't ask... it's a big race town if you know where to look) and it's not TOO bad... if you don't break/hit/damage the car in anyway. But I also know the chances of that are pretty low. I'd love to give it a go though.

racermike
12-26-2005, 09:12 PM
I know a few guys in Outlaw too (don't ask... it's a big race town if you know where to look) and it's not TOO bad... if you don't break/hit/damage the car in anyway. But I also know the chances of that are pretty low. I'd love to give it a go though.

I'm guessing you got lotsa $$$ if you think $40,000 for one motor isn't TOO bad........ :eek:

I'm glad we have a good sponsor, and a good car owner........ :D

Hawk
12-26-2005, 09:45 PM
I'm guessing you got lotsa $$$ if you think $40,000 for one motor isn't TOO bad........ :eek:

I'm glad we have a good sponsor, and a good car owner........ :D
How about 5-600inch motor, 1200 hp on gas, at or near full throttle for 1hr. $75k and up.
Oh yeah, and that is 2,3, or 4 per boat .... plus spares. Starts to look like a national Top Fuel budget real fast.
And even with the best builders, they break like 40% each race.
Most of the teams are multi millionaires/celebrities or boat builders with their factory team. They are not primadonas though, top teams go at least 100mph+ on open ocean do 'jumps' over swell that can put them 20ft in the air over and over. Nothing feels better than to just finish a race. If you misjudge one swell you turn it all into splinters in a blink of an eye. Total concentration.

That is why I am the owner and sponsor of RC 1/8 offroad race team because the $$$ is so much easier to live with.
:cool:

Hikari no Tenshi
12-26-2005, 10:37 PM
You noticed I said it's not too bad if you don't bump anything. Start up is high though. I was told that it's about 500 bucks to roll the car off the trailer and on to the track, and anything beyond that just adds to the cost.

mat3833
12-26-2005, 11:31 PM
hey what does your name mean??

Matty

Hikari no Tenshi
12-26-2005, 11:58 PM
Hahaha, topic change! Lol. It means "Angel of Light" which sounds kind of corny now that i'm older (21...) but when I was younger, I did a lot of video game animations and one of my characters went by this name. It's kinda stuck with me over the years. It sounds neat, but has a hokey translation. Oh well.

mat3833
12-27-2005, 12:05 AM
lol but as for expensive things, try running a space program/shuttle. liquid nitrogen has to cost a butload!!

Matty

racermike
12-27-2005, 03:40 AM
Awwwww.......Angel of Light.......thats so sweet! :D

BiGRoB21
12-27-2005, 04:47 AM
matty- i dont think running a space program/ shuttle is something you can call a hobby. not too many ppl in the world who do this and it isn't something you or i can just go do without schooling.

EphiDelt490
12-28-2005, 12:31 AM
My dad does it :D, lol. But I believe it's a job, not a hobby.

BiGRoB21
12-28-2005, 01:00 AM
yah Adam thats what i ws getting at.

BitHed
12-28-2005, 05:29 AM
Hahaha, topic change! Lol. It means "Angel of Light" which sounds kind of corny now that i'm older (21...) but when I was younger, I did a lot of video game animations and one of my characters went by this name. It's kinda stuck with me over the years. It sounds neat, but has a hokey translation. Oh well.

...Hikari; your name betrays you ;) I have a bunch of students named Hikari, Hikaru, Hiroko et al...you get that by working at a girls school...I picked up on the Japanimation name though so no worries...

...21? Thats not old...Hawk is old ;)

tulsidas
12-28-2005, 10:51 AM
welcome Adam....I believe they break.....the cf towers.....on a buggy the tower takes a lot of punishment.....Because they put so many holes in it for adjustability they usually break off.....I think you want the motormount right off......when you run and the motor gets hot.....the plastic motormount will get warm and float.....this may make your pinion grind the center diff.....
the other part you need are the steering hubs or knuckles. the stock plastic ones strip out.....you get the aluminum ones use some locktite and your good to go........

wouldn't the aluminium motor mount expand more on heating then plastic ?

BitHed
12-28-2005, 11:20 AM
...nah...it draws it away and cools faster..you NEED an alloy mount (nods head)...

mat3833
12-28-2005, 04:39 PM
sensai bit, my plastic one is still going strong no gear mesh problems or nothing. but i do need one, the motor mount screws are sinking in a little after each run... in about 5 more i wont have a motor mount...

Matt

RURC
01-04-2006, 02:40 AM
...21? Thats not old...Hawk is old ;)

A left to the HAWESTER.

That was almost as bad as the one you did about my wife BIT. Have you been takeing your mean pills? Or are you just frustrated working with all those "girls" in the "school".

Love ya BIT (in that friendly way)

Now what have I done.