PDA

View Full Version : Screw the Mamba, see the new Hacker.

Mazda787b
04-06-2005, 07:23 PM
For those of you who don't know, the Hackers are some of the best brushless motors out there. They are all German engineered, and still maintain a reasonable price. I was at the Weak Signals Expo in Toledo, Ohio last weekend, and I seen teh new Quark universal ESC and their motor lineup. Some of you may wonder how it compares to the mamba. The hacker E-Series motor (not sold through hacker, but eFlight, a division of horizon) rated at 4900kv (the highest avaliable) can easily eat a mamba motor, any model. The people at Aon, Castle, and Hacker said that the Hacker was better engineered than the cm-20 motor, but Castle said for their new Maxx ESC, they will have a better manufactured motor for the H8 and similar applications.

No info is on their site yet, but they had them for sale at the show. The quark 40 amp ESC was $79 and can be used in boats, planes, helis, cars, trucks, anything. I heard it is compatiable with an external programmer as well, but I am not sure if they are referring to the CC phx link.

Lextek
04-07-2005, 12:58 AM
I've been very, happy with my Mamba.

RURC
04-07-2005, 12:59 AM
For those of you who don't know, the Hackers are some of the best brushless motors out there. The hacker E-Series motor (not sold through hacker, but eFlight, a division of horizon) rated at 4900kv (the highest avaliable) can easily eat a mamba motor, any model. The people at Aon, Castle, and Hacker said that the Hacker was better engineered than the cm-20 motor, but Castle said for their new Maxx ESC, they will have a better manufactured motor for the H8 and similar applications.

No info is on their site yet, but they had them for sale at the show. The quark 40 amp ESC was $79 and can be used in boats, planes, helis, cars, trucks, anything. I heard it is compatiable with an external programmer as well, but I am not sure if they are referring to the CC phx link.

I have a question.

How can a 4900kv motor easily eat a 6800kv or even the 8000kv? Are you compairing it to the 4200kv? In that case I will conceede to the superior Hacker. Now it might be equal or slightly better than the 5400kv due to the higher quality of the general motor. Unless Hacker has changed the way they rate motors the CC motors are at least 1900kv higher of the ones I listed. Now I have no problem relenting to the fact that Hacker motors areabsolute top of the line. But rpm per volt is rpm per volt. Now in another thread I did say how CC was bringing the motor building in house because they are not completely happy with the supplied motors. This will give CC a real heads up on the market. When they control the whole process all can be optimised. When you get from outside sources comprimises have to be made. Right now CC has not said what the amp rateing will be for the Maxx but I have been told that it will be more than the eairly statements of 80 amps.

I am not trying the down play the Hacker. They make awesome products. I have had many of them. All I want to do is compair apples to apples. I can't see a 4900kv motor eating a 6800kv. The math just dose not work.

I do feel that the CC controllers are much smoother than the Hackers. I make this statement having used both extensively. Just to be completely clear I have not used the latest revision of the Quark.

Trax
04-07-2005, 02:32 AM
I agree with RURC that a 4900kv beating a 8000kv motor seems a little far fetched. However you do have to remember that those kv ratings are no load ratings. They all drop under load with the better motors dropping the least. My 6600kv lehner can easily keep up with my friends 8000kv mamba and has tons more torque to boot. He might be just a tad faster but nothing you would notice during a fly by. I really wish these BL manufacturers would provide more specs on their products. I would love to see kv vs. load and kv vs. rpm graphs as well as other information so we could make intelligent decisions. Picking a motor based only on its kv rating is like choosing a battery only on its mah rating.

Hey RURC, I know you were working on a Li-Po solution and was hoping you could give me the dimensions of the available battery space.

RURC
04-07-2005, 08:23 PM
I will when I have a somemore test time on them. You cant rush these things. Espessally when if you are not careful you can burn up the car.

Mazda787b
04-07-2005, 11:17 PM
I know it seems a little far fetched. But from what people have said, the hacker is alot more efficient. Like I said, the rep. from CC told me that they are starting to build motors in-house (just like RURC has said in the past) because nobody can really fill their needs. I am almost sure it was the 8000kv, but it could have been 6800. It was a guy we race Mini-T with. He runs the Mamba 25 ESC with the hacker E-Series 4900kv motor. When he had his Hacker, nobody could toutch his RC18. In a freak accident, he bent the shaft on it. Now, he runs the mamba (6800 or 8000) and we can easil keep up with him. I am not sure on how early or late the motor is in the production cycle, but the cm-20 seemed inferior to the e-series. Like I said before, this was confirmed by the people from Ion, Hacker, and CC.

RURC, I suggest you try one out in one of your cars. If for some reason you do not like it, you could always go around and sell it.

Mazda787b
04-07-2005, 11:25 PM
Well I tried to quick reply, but it wouldn't work.

But anyways, I know it seems far fetched. He may have been running a 6800 instead of 8000, at this point I can't even remember. His setup was a Hacker E-series 4900kv with Mamba 23 ESC. With this in his RC18 on the stock AE pack, it ate our Mini-Ts. In a freak accident, he bent the shaft on his Hacker and had to send it in for warranty. At that time he ran his cm-20. When he switched back to this setup, the car was no more faster than anyone else's. From what I have read and been told, the cm-20 isn't that great of a motor. I asked a rep about the cm-20 and the new Mamba Maxx about potential applications in the H-8. He said that there are no plans as of yet because they are bringing the process in house, as RURC stated, and no vendor could fit their needs on the car side of things. The representitives from AON (who sells CC), Castle themselves, and Hacker said that the E-series is a superior motor to the CM-20. From the way they were hinting, look for a cm-20 replacment/update once CC starts producing motors in-house.

RURC
04-08-2005, 01:58 AM
I know that Hacker motors are great. The cm20 is a good motor but I agree that it is not as good as the Hacker. Right now my balls to the wall Mini T is hitting the upper 60's. Almost 70. I am happy with the performance. I have had no body keeping up with me. Now that said it might be time to try the new generation Hacker. I have no doubt that CC agrees that the Hacker motor is a better built motor. But as stated CC is bringing it all in house. Life will be good. Then the best motors will be made in Kansas.

BiGRoB21
08-31-2005, 02:47 PM
well i bought the hacker e series 4900 from my lhs and its a turd!! same pinion as i have on my mamba in the same car with the same setup and it is slow as hell!!

Mazda787b
09-07-2005, 06:11 PM
What did you expect? At the time I posted that, the only testing grounds Ihad for the hacker was an RC18T. The Mini-Inferno wasn't even present in the US at that time. The E-Series is still a killer motor, but the Aon conquers all.

cuda033
09-07-2005, 07:11 PM
I started reading this thread trying to find a good brushless motor ... It went from one being the best (that 4900) to it being ..no never mind its never been in a H8 ? lol ????

Ya all lost me on this one lol. .. . Im thinkin about putting a brushless system in and wanna know what would be a good one to throw in ? O and have the gears been eatin up by the bigger motors or can I get some better gears ?

Just a rookie still dont be to harsh :D

holy_inferno
09-08-2005, 10:02 PM
The Aon 4900 by AonElectric is known to be the best brushless motor for the halfEIGHT...to be used with the CC Mamba-25 ESC, even though I never had any problems with my CC 2068 motor in any way. :)
To prevent gears from being shredded, use hardened steel ones by HPI, Associated, or Robinson Racing, and Atomic Alloy gears.

Ronny
09-19-2005, 08:27 PM
Hi :)

Get the AON 4900 Kv Thrust series motor & a Mamba 25 Esc, and you'll be flying with A LOT of torqe :eek: