PDA

View Full Version : hyperion 6000 or AON 4900?

mat3833
12-11-2005, 08:09 PM
ok i kno i said i wouldnt change my mamba but i lied, on the track it got hotter than i would like it to. so here is a short description of the track i run on: it is a 1/10 and 1/8 buggy track that has a big double about 1.75 ft tall and a 6-7 ft gap, a small double about 1 ft high and 4 ft gap and a big tripple first jump is about 2 ft and the following ones are 1 ft and 1.5 ft. the strait is long, about 75 ft and there is an "s" curve just before the big double. now i need to kno what motor i should buy to get the best performance on 8 cells. i am going to update my mamba software( got it a year ago) and see if it helps on the heat issue. if not i will keep the mamba motor for street use and get one of the above motors. thanks in advance, oh and does any one have a decent big jump settup??

Matt

mat3833
12-12-2005, 04:33 PM
any opinions? other options even?

Matt

BiGRoB21
12-12-2005, 06:34 PM
i would say go with the aon 4900. cause the higher the kv rating you will get into heat issues again. i am running the aon and i have not gone over 130 degrese even when the weather was 90+ outside. you will get enought power and speed from the aon that you will be satisfied.

mat3833
12-12-2005, 06:42 PM
i was looking at the hyperion because i need the speed to clear the jumps on the track i run at. i can clear them with my 5400 barley with a 13 tooth pinion so i was thinking i need more speed. i will most likley get the AON and run a 14 tooth pinion.

Matt

BiGRoB21
12-12-2005, 08:18 PM
the my aon has similar speed to my 6800 that i used to run in the h8. its not quite as much top end. but close. it could also be due to when i ran the mamba i had a 16t pinion and i am running a 11t on the aon. (i know 16 is too much, but i couldnt change pinions at that time cause of the hurricane had took my pinion wrench lol)

Hawk
12-12-2005, 08:34 PM
i was looking at the hyperion because i need the speed to clear the jumps on the track i run at. i can clear them with my 5400 barley with a 13 tooth pinion so i was thinking i need more speed. i will most likley get the AON and run a 14 tooth pinion.

Matt

Matt, a lot depends on how the track is setup. If there is a long gradual ramp before the jump, running at high speed and jumping will work. If there are steep ramps, then hitting the ramp at high speed will tend to load the suspension and colapse it. When you leave the jump, the wheels and tires spring out/down and upset your jump. The way to take this kind of jump is to have enough grunt to drive up the ramp and punch it to jump without fully compressing the suspension and giving you much more consistent landings and better control. :cool:

pimpsmurf
12-12-2005, 08:57 PM
I'm sure the Hyperion 6000 will make you happy. It has a top speed higher than the mamba 6.8k on the half eight (both with 11 tooth pinions) and the hyperion will SMOKE the mamba in torque. No contest.

I can't speak on the Aon, but I'm certain it is a bad ass motor. From the sounds of it, on 8 cells, the hyperion is the way to go. It won't overheat if geared propperly and you have airflow. I overheated one, but I was dragging the whole buggy in grass which is *BAD*.

The Aon on a 3 cell lipo would probably be fantastic, if you ever get away from the NMHd. I'm thinking the hyperion on 3 cell lipo would be too fast to control. Top speed would be insane, and the torque would probably make short work of destroying stock diffs. 3Racing, hurry up.

-JNY

mat3833
12-12-2005, 09:03 PM
the jumps on the track vary in pitch. the biggest is comming off of a berm and up a small hill then it is a big increase in steepness. that is the tripple. the big double is more of a big speed jump but a little steeper. the small double is no problem i can clear it like a pro every time at like half throttle. the big ones are my problem, i can just barely clear the big double with a fully charged pack and the tripple is like a double, single. my goal is to be able to clear all jumps on the track. oh and heat isnt realy an issue, i have my fan and the hyperion has built in heatsink so it should be fine. but whatever gets the most votes is the winner.

Matt

mat3833
12-14-2005, 01:11 AM
ok i dont think i am going to get a diferent motor, the new software on my mamba kept the temps to a range i am willing to accept. i am just going to get a heatsink for the mamba by b-p-p and love the speed!!

Matt