PDA

View Full Version : Mamba 8000 or AON 4900

gazzer55
12-09-2005, 04:59 AM
I am looking to buy an H8 and will either put in a Mamba 8000 package or the AON 4900 with Mamba ESC. I was wondering what parts I will need to upgrade to run one of thses motors.
If someone could send me some links as to what servo and receiver I should buy that would be great. ARe these the only parts I absolutely need? I am new to this and know very lil about electronics in cars. Can I run these motors with the stock radio and upgrade the receiver or do I need both?
Also what speeds would I be looking at getting with one these motors?

holy_inferno
12-09-2005, 05:21 AM
...The Aon 4900 is known to be the best brushless motor -so far- for the Mini Inferno...I own a Mamba 6800, and it works great...an 8000, however, might have difficulties with cogging and overheating. :)
...If you change to brushless, you'll need to swap out all the electronics...
- A Novak XXL can be used with the stock Tx,
- Hitec makes perfect fitting aftermarket servos, HS-81/85 MG....
...Running fast motors require some other stuff as well...
- 8 Ball Bearings for the front/rear hubs
- Oil Shocks
- A battery pack, GP1100 by United RC is the best :)

Trickpatrick
12-09-2005, 05:37 AM
I would highly recomend staying away from the Mamba stuff.
Just dosn't work well in the H8.

The motors are to small and the 25 ESC is like an on off switch.

If all you'll ever do is run it up and down the street it works.

But if you use it on a track or stop and start alot or use reverse much it seems to over heat and then it starts cogging. The more it cogges the hotter it gets before long you want to toss the whole lot in a trash bin.

You can get lots of advice on how to fix it but the bottom line is don't go there.

I only bought the mamba setup for the H8, I tried every fix,I ended up selling it.

I would suggest the Tekin ESC it has a very smooth throttle curve.
The AON motor is also very good. The hacker 4900 works very nicely as well.
The Tekin, Hacker, and a 3 cell Lipo is a great combo.
If you search BL motors here you will find several more motors that work.
Its vital that they have very good tourque. I know Tekin is working on a bigger motor they are testing it first,in a half 8 so I hear, and I would bet if it has the same performance as there speed controls it will be a good choice as well.

I like the novack xxl rec. and just about any good servo can work.
I would wait untill you have the H8 in hand and see if some of the componets you have will work first.

Just stay away from SMALL BL motors they have real trouble with the H8.

Trick

BitHed
12-09-2005, 06:34 AM
...tekin is really that good? Is it worth giving it a shot?

Trickpatrick
12-09-2005, 07:00 AM
Yep

Imho its night and day better.
Even with the cable link the Mamba 25 just seems to be more of a heli controller like an on off switch. It is like there is no middle of the throttle curve compared to what you get in say a GT7. or g10 pro+.

Maybe it has something to do with Tekin being in the car speed control sector.
All I can tell you is there's is a very smooth, very usable thottle curve with there RAGE controller. There quality and reliabilty is well known.

I can highly recomend it. BUT I think there rage motors are to similar if not the same supplier as Mamba. Like I mentioned they are aware of our specail needs and reportedly are testing a bigger motor in a half 8 now.

You can buy the Rage ESC seperatly for around 95.00$ usd, maybe less now that it has been out a bit. :)

Trick

pimpsmurf
12-09-2005, 08:19 PM
On Off switch? Bah!

Throttle and Brake curves will get you your middle back. The Mamba link is freaking awsome, and way better than ANY 1:18 speed control as far as configurability. Now the Tekin might be a badass speed control, but the mamba link is better than Tekins config, hands down.

Not to sound like a zealot, but I've not had any of the problems people are having with thier mamba... (except as it relates to using the mamba motor)

Lets not forget the Hyperion. I don't have the Aon yet (next year man... next year), but the Hyperion absolutely dusts the Mamba 6.8k on both top and bottom. The Mamba motors might be great for light trucks, but the 6.8k can't push the H8 to the Hyperion 6000's speed.

Another motor that might have the insane torque the Aon is suppose to have would be the Hyperion 5000, plus the Hyperion is much cheaper.

-JNY

mat3833
12-09-2005, 08:24 PM
the mamba works fine for me, i am running a 13 tooth pinion and am getting about 40 mph with the 5400 and 8 cells. only cogging problem is at the end of a pack and it works kinda like a warning. i love my mamba and am only going to change if i feel it cant hold up on the track.

Matt

BitHed
12-09-2005, 08:29 PM
...As the AON 4900 is now a household name wouldnt it be funky if 'sometime' early next year they released some 'new' motors...Gee that would 'really' be something to 'think' about :rolleyes:

Hawk
12-09-2005, 08:55 PM
hint hint.
O.K.

By the way, tell them to clean up their stinky web site. :cool:

gazzer55
12-11-2005, 01:19 AM
I have been doing some research and heard that the Aon 6000 i think it is, the best motor to use if you drive in large areas and want good top speeds and the 5000 is best for a mix of torque and top speeds. Do you agree with this and also do you know of where I can buy these motors online?
Thanks

pimpsmurf
12-11-2005, 02:05 PM
Your talking about the Hyperion I think. It is fantastic, and CHEAP! (b-p-p.com has a sale now I think)

The 5000 is suppose to be close to the Aon 4900 in terms of torque and top speed. I'm hoping to have both the 4900 and the 5k. The winner gets to stay, the looser is going to poor children in asian countries. ;)

-JNY

Trickpatrick
12-11-2005, 05:27 PM
On Off switch? Bah!

Throttle and Brake curves will get you your middle back. The Mamba link is freaking awsome, and way better than ANY 1:18 speed control as far as configurability. Now the Tekin might be a badass speed control, but the mamba link is better than Tekins config, hands down.

Not to sound like a zealot, but I've not had any of the problems people are having with thier mamba... (except as it relates to using the mamba motor)

Lets not forget the Hyperion. I don't have the Aon yet (next year man... next year), but the Hyperion absolutely dusts the Mamba 6.8k on both top and bottom. The Mamba motors might be great for light trucks, but the 6.8k can't push the H8 to the Hyperion 6000's speed.

Another motor that might have the insane torque the Aon is suppose to have would be the Hyperion 5000, plus the Hyperion is much cheaper.

-JNY

I have owned and driven both speed controls in the half 8 and Scince I had the Mamba first I tried every (fix) Bigger wire, deans, Li-pos, cable link throttle curves ect. I almost gave up on bl. But the tekin worked without adjusment and the throttle curve is just like a brushed esc. the majority of people I have seen at our local track have had similar experiences on the track with the current Mamba stuff . The Tekin esc is way better currently in an overall way I am not bashing Castle and have no ties to Tekin.

I am just saying in a real racing inviroment the Tekin is waaaay better. This just my opinion and i am just sharing it here because it's a very good option to the frustration sooo. many of us have had with Castle.

Trick

pimpsmurf
12-11-2005, 05:53 PM
I have owned and driven both speed controls in the half 8 and Scince I had the Mamba first I tried every (fix) Bigger wire, deans, Li-pos, cable link throttle curves ect. I almost gave up on bl. But the tekin worked without adjusment and the throttle curve is just like a brushed esc. the majority of people I have seen at our local track have had similar experiences on the track with the current Mamba stuff . The Tekin esc is way better currently in an overall way I am not bashing Castle and have no ties to Tekin.

I am just saying in a real racing inviroment the Tekin is waaaay better. This just my opinion and i am just sharing it here because it's a very good option to the frustration sooo. many of us have had with Castle.

Trick

I respect yours (and many others) opinions. What motor were you using with the mamba ESC? What version of the Mamba ESC Software (ie, how long ago did you use the mamba?)

The new version of the mamba software is extremely excellent. I love the configurability of the mamba (especially with the 1.03b firmware), and no other interface I've heard of or seen can match it.

-JNY

masterbasser
12-13-2005, 04:38 AM
shouldnt this be moved to the bl section?

...BitHed EDIT: As requested this has been moved to 'Brushless' :D

Thomas P
12-13-2005, 06:50 AM
I would highly recomend staying away from the Mamba stuff.
Just dosn't work well in the H8.

Just stay away from SMALL BL motors they have real trouble with the H8.

Trick

Sorry m8 but i do think you have wrong, theres no reason to stay avay from Mamba stuff, the importent thing is the choose of engine Kv..the 8k is not a option in mamba series if ya ask me is the 5400 series, ive been runnig it for a long time with 3S lipo and its running perfektly, and its going warm,not hot. The ESC and motor is working good on track to

Next thing its gearing.theres no reason to overgear it,some of us do itmaximum for 5400 series goes @ 14T above and just getting to hot, id say 12-13T

(friend of mines AoN4900 just getting Toasthot in his H8..only 15T gearing...)

/Thomas P

BitHed
12-13-2005, 07:27 AM
...I have to agree...The Aon 4900 is the best motor 'SUITED' to the H8...It MAY not BE the BEST motor out there but it does the job in the H8...Its kinda like wearing gum-boots to a formal dance...You have to have the right stuff fot the application...

Scooter Tekin
12-13-2005, 03:07 PM
Well I am not one to bang my own drum BUT. As for the comment about our esc the Mini Rage. While you are running back to your pit table to hook up your usb cable and turn on the lap top unplug everything and then get back on the drivers stand. I already made the changes to my Mini Rage and have turned 10 more laps and a battery pack. Oh I think I needed to change something else just to tweak it a bit. I just pull it to my feet hit the mode button and hit the set button to change the strength and I am off racing again. That is one of the biggest things that seperates the Mini Rage from the Mamba. We do come from a car market and understand it. Our esc takes no special equipment to set up or to make changes. I can leave my lap top at home where it bleongs.

Thomas P
12-13-2005, 04:18 PM
Scooter Tekin, it should be done like you describe, just stop the car next to you,hit the button and tweak...To bad Mamba owners do not have this, but they have USB-link, better then nothing:)

And a laptop arnt they portble ;)

hrtln
12-13-2005, 07:16 PM
IMO the Tekin ESC is by far the best one out there. All the other ones I drove were almost unraceable. But still like the feel of a brushed motor better.

mat3833
12-13-2005, 08:23 PM
in my opinion the new mamba software is great. i ran a pack down earlier and all it would do is cogg and not move. i updated the software and BAM! no more cogging and i could actualy drive with the almoast dead pack. oh and i set the throttle curve to how i want it not how the manufacturer has it set on a "profile". also can he tekin be updated??

Matt

MBX-5 Guy
12-14-2005, 01:02 AM
Castle Creations needs to make a hand held computer for the updates, like the Novak Pit Wizard of old.

mat3833
12-14-2005, 01:09 AM
that would be kick!! like a PDA with the touch screen. about 5 by 5 sounds about right.

Matt

Hawk
12-14-2005, 01:34 AM
Maybe they could do something with the PSP. Make it bluetooth so you don't have to touch it. You could make changes with the car on the track. :cool:

BitHed
12-14-2005, 01:46 AM
Maybe they could do something with the PSP. Make it bluetooth so you don't have to touch it. You could make changes with the car on the track. :cool:

...Hawk I cant believe someone finally picked up on this :D PanicToys-JPN has had people on this for a while...basically the NEXT step is getting permission to see / use the Mamba Link 'code'...Once we have that things should be able to progress...But all this is highly top-secret and now I have to shoot you :eek:

Hawk
12-14-2005, 01:59 AM
Now I am going to be seeing Ninja in thongs all night long. :p

mat3833
12-14-2005, 03:06 PM
lol, with 20s stuck in the strap.

Matt

pimpsmurf
12-14-2005, 07:53 PM
That sucks! (j/k)

I was thinking about trying to interface the mamba with my GBA. *shrug*

-JNY

BitHed
12-14-2005, 08:34 PM
...thats Ok Pimpy ;) we can set it up JUST for you so you can run it on your Atari instead ;)

masterbasser
12-15-2005, 12:14 AM
the atari is sweet. wish i could find the power supply for mine.

pimpsmurf
12-15-2005, 02:15 AM
Bah, I'm going to run it on my Altair! =)

-JNY

Hawk
12-15-2005, 03:44 AM
Bet you thought no one ever heard of that. I grew up in the Silicon Valley. Ha HA. :cool:

pimpsmurf
12-15-2005, 11:52 AM
Nah, I knew we were a sophisticated crowd over here. =)
I was very serious about the GBA interface however. I'm waiting on paypal to get it's shorts out of a bunch so I can score a flash card and start looking at the interface.

-JNY

mat3833
12-16-2005, 07:32 PM
ok i just sent CC an email requesting permission to use the "code" if the guy says we can i would like to give him your contact info bit, if this is OK with you. i am now waiting for a reply from them.

Matt

BitHed
12-16-2005, 07:51 PM
...Gee we will have to wait and see what the 'guy' says...

...Matt I hope you wrote professionally, introduced yourself, laid out a sales pitch, explained the staff involved and explained the whole mutual suppport program we have planned for 2006 BEFORE you asked for the code that they have spents lots of money on putting together and are constantly tweaking...You did that right? Please tell me you did that...

Hawk
12-16-2005, 07:59 PM
...Gee we will have to wait and see what the 'guy' says...

...Matt I hope you wrote professionally, introduced yourself, laid out a sales pitch, explained the staff involved and explained the whole mutual suppport program we have planned for 2006 BEFORE you asked for the code that they have spents lots of money on putting together and are constantly tweaking...You did that right? Please tell me you did that...

ROTFLMAO :D U so funny

pimpsmurf
12-16-2005, 08:47 PM
"Hey dudez, we want your 3l33t codez to hax0r j00 ESC. tnx."

Sorry, I really couldn't resist. I must be off my meds again... stirring the puddin'.

I think maybe Bithed should have been the one to contact them Matt. He is the one going to get down on that thing for real.

I doubt that I could ever get a mamba to link with a GBA. I'm not up on my USB RFC's, but the GBA flash cards usually have a link cable to program them from a PC, so it would probably require you to plug the GBA into a blackbox, then into the mamba link blackbox, and then into the mamba. I'm certain it would be a serious pain in the ass, and I'm not what you would call an professional electrical engeneer. It could probably be done with all the documentation of the mamba link's hardware, the mamba link windows driver source & documentation, and a genious engeneer. I won't have any of the above at my disposal anytime soon. =)

-JNY

BitHed
12-16-2005, 08:59 PM
It could probably be done with all the documentation of the mamba link's hardware, the mamba link windows driver source & documentation, and a genious engeneer. I won't have any of the above at my disposal anytime soon. =)

...I have 2 out of the 3 ;) Its just the 2 paperwork items i need..one might say i have the chef but not the recipe...

...Hey I appreciate Matt doing it...Its just as Pimpy 'says'..There are ways and methods of asking for something to improve one's chances of success...I have guys asking me for FREE stuff all the time...'Hey BitHed...Me and my buddies drive real good...I won a race 17 weeks ago with my almost stock h8...luv the pittbule (!!) send me one why doncha...' Yeah buddy...Its on its way...Check your mail box...lol...

...I was going to do this in the new year...Though i am sure the 'guy' at Castle is just sitting around waiting for Santa to come...Gee...I am...And lets not even THINK about the 'Amnesty Buggy' project...(Smacks his forehead) DOH!!!

Trickpatrick
12-16-2005, 09:46 PM
I will give you some un-asked for advice Bit.
Some ideas are best left to oneself untill they are done...
I wish I always lived by that but when I do it serves me well.

Walk softly and carry a big inventory of parts thats all we ask. :)

Looking forward to some GUM. Dang you got extra gum to go with all the diff's???

LOL

mat3833
12-16-2005, 11:35 PM
bit i wsnt tlkng lk ths. LOL i was actaly prety professional about it. i mentioned that we have been talking about it for awhile and gave him a link to this forum and said if it was even a possibility i would put him in contact with you. so if he says it might be a go i can give him your info right? i mean if he works at CC he might want your SS number, credit card #s, address, drivers license #, you kno all the stuff it takes to steal your identity!! LOL J/K. buty seriously can i give the dude ur email.

EDIT: you got mail from me bit.

Matt

BitHed
12-17-2005, 01:20 AM
Some ideas are best left to oneself untill they are done...

Looking forward to some GUM. Dang you got extra gum to go with all the diff's???

LOL

...Tricky usually i am pretty good...its all calculated and laid out and goes well...just in this instance i didnt add in the Matt-Factor and it came back to bite me in the ass...now its going off half-cocked and I have to roll with the punches...Still thinking about how to proceed :confused:

...i have LOTS of gum and LOTS of food wrap for the PitBulls...I have to stock up on bubbled packs etc for postage...I have enough gum to start an online store for just that too...

...Matt: As much as i appreciate your efforts its not QUITE the direction i wanted to go in...but as you have made the effort then I may as well follow along...Yes you can give my mail to the Castle 'guy'...lol...you can give my mail to your great aunt for all i care LOL...maybe i can sell her an ST diff ;) I will figure out how to get the things done i NEED to get done, in the order they need to be done, in the order they need to be done...you have just thrown me off a little...

...and getting in touch with people isnt much of a big deal mate...I am reasonably good at getting that done ;) Though i DO appreciate the senitment...

mat3833
12-17-2005, 01:34 AM
well my aunt might just buy an ST, she has been eyeing my H8 for awhile!! oh and sentiment comes standard from me.

Matty