PDA

View Full Version : Our Regular Club Race (Pics)

DrVonHoSS
12-04-2005, 05:27 AM
I just got home from the races... what a night!

I raced 2 weeks ago and my cars performance was horrible. The brushless was killing any chance of running a clean line... and my eyes were bad.

This week was a different story. I switched to a novak spy, Rocket400, 7 cell Intellect 1200 saddle packs and a prototype Eclispse chassis (brushed only version). And I got laser surgey on my eyes last week.

I swapped between 1st and 2nd place almost the whole race.. on the last lap the guy I was battling with cought a pipe and had no chance of catching me. I thought I had the race won for sure.. then out of no where the 3rd place car is right behind me.. then we are side by side in the last turn.. I got on the throttle a little too soon and pushed wide.. and he cut in low and found traction.. I lost by about a millionth of a second.. and 3rd and 4th place were 1.5 seconds behind us. Incredible race.. It almost beats my best 1/8th scale race. These micro buggies are great!!

We had around 18 buggies (and probably 30 RC18Ts and Mini-Ts)... 3 HALF8's and the rest were Vendettas. All 3 HALF 8's made the A Main and took 2nd, 3rd, and 5 place. Its tough to tell which is the better car for racing... the HALF8's are more stable and can hold a better line.. and if you bump a vendetta.. he moves.. not you. The vendettas were able to hold a tighter turn and keep traction and this is ultimately why a vendetta won.

The nice this about the HALF8 is all the adjustments. The vendetta has very few tuning options. In the end I think this will prove the the HALF8 is competitive.. you u do have to spend extra money to make it competitive..

Anyways.. enough babbling.. heres some pics..

Race Pics (http://www.wnyrcinfo.com/site/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=38082#38082)

QuickEight
12-04-2005, 11:12 AM
DrVanHoss,

That is a great write-up and really good inspiration for all us backyard / arm chair racers who are just now getting a taste of the real thing.

Couple of my friends bought Vendettas because they looked more appealing, must be the advertsing and the Vendetta video DuraTrax put out, but when they go up against my Mini Inferno they are like, really impressed. Of course, I did spend a wee bit more money on it after my purcahse but it is well worth it just to smush those Vendettas and get a little vengance with a big victory smile. :p

Anyway, thanks again for that first hand and most edifying account of your race Saturday night.

Keep up the good work, and I know my H8 will be mucho better when my new Eclipse gets here next week.

DrVonHoSS
12-04-2005, 04:42 PM
Bashing can be fun.. but I love racing.

Heres a few pics of the new chassis. I was very impressed.. the car handled great! I ran the Kyosho X pattern tires for the first 2 quailifiers and ran the stock tires for the 3rd quailifier and the Main. I was soaking my almost brand new 3Racing tires in actetone so I could use the rims for the new crime fighters.. but whatever glue 3 racing uses seems to be unaffected by acetone... I'll try again today.

Heres a couple more pics..

http://members.aol.com:/drvonhoss/FTRM4.jpg
http://members.aol.com:/drvonhoss/FTRM5.jpg

mat3833
12-04-2005, 09:18 PM
man that is awesome!! talk about a great race. also the prototype looks great, if i ran brushed i would buy it (if i had the $ that is)

Matt

Hawk
12-04-2005, 11:44 PM
Thanks Neil,
I can't wait till Saturday when racing starts again in the indoor. It has been a long break and your narrative reminds me of the thrills and spills of offroad racing.

I hope you get things sorted out and next race you'll win.
Go!
:cool:

mat3833
12-04-2005, 11:46 PM
hey hoss what radio is that??

Matt

DrVonHoSS
12-05-2005, 12:44 AM
Thanks Neil,
I can't wait till Saturday when racing starts again in the indoor. It has been a long break and your narrative reminds me of the thrills and spills of offroad racing.

I hope you get things sorted out and next race you'll win.
Go!
:cool:

Ahh.. I lost by only a half second.. but its cool. Important thing is that I had a great time. I'm still wound up about it today! Heres a link to the results (im Neil).. The vendettas were turing some fast lap times.. Mine were a little slower but as you can see from the results I never made a mistake. I just need to lose 1 second per lap.. I may switch to 20 degree front hubs.. and maybe switch to 25wt shock oil in the rear. Other than that.. I went back to plastic A-Arms and went back to all stock diffs with the slipper locked. Worked great!
FTR Race Results (http://www.mcoers.com/kevin/Final%20Results%2012-03-2005.htm)

hey hoss what radio is that??

Matt

Its a KO Propo Mars radio with DSM. I want to get a KO Helios.. just because its new.. maybe next month. I love KO!

Hawk
12-05-2005, 01:51 AM
That is awesome Neil, super consistent lap times. Way to go. You were not the fastest guy on the track, you times were definetly in the running but you just turned a fast lap over and over. Nice race. 6 tenths is hard to take and there were 4 on the same lap within 7 seconds at the finish. Very competative field. Great stuff. :cool:

MAG
12-05-2005, 02:17 AM
Tryt his if you are still having problems getting the tires off the wheels:

Preheat oven to 400*
Turn oven off once it's there.
drop the tires on a cookie sheet and toss 'em in !
the rubber and the plastic will heat at different temperatures and cause the glue to release. As well as allow some of the oils in the rubber and plastic to release also which in turn helps cause the glue to release.

Maybe 10-15 mins but make sure that the wheels aren't melting.

Worked for me on some HPI factory wheels...

YMMV - Your Mileage May Vary
INRFMT/W - I'm Not Reponsible For Melted Tires/Wheels

DrVonHoSS
12-05-2005, 04:56 AM
That is awesome Neil, super consistent lap times. Way to go. You were not the fastest guy on the track, you times were definetly in the running but you just turned a fast lap over and over. Nice race. 6 tenths is hard to take and there were 4 on the same lap within 7 seconds at the finish. Very competative field. Great stuff. :cool:

It is a very competative group. You should see our 1/8th scale races.. its ridiculously close... if you crash one time.. you might as well pull off the track and save the fuel.. cuz theres no way your catching up.

I just need to save 1 second on each lap. I have not even begun to tune the car. In the past weeks I was spending all my time trying to find the perfect setting for my brushless... last night the motor was a non-issue. It was fast, ran cool, and did exactly it was supposed to do each time I pulled the trigger.
I used comm drops for the main.. it helped!! I was surprised. I just need to get the car to track a little better in the turns. Those fluid filled diffs that the ST will have will make tuning a lot better. On my MBX-5 one of my main tuning options is diff fluid... it makes all the difference.

I am running a 13t pinion with Intellect 1200's. Each time I recharged the pack my charger said it took 631 mAh to peak (all 4 recharges!). So maybe changing to a 14t or maybe 15t is an option to find a little more speed. I read in a few posts that Intellect cells are junk.. I dont think that is the case. Everyone around here is dumping there GP1100's for the Intellect cells.. way better. More punch and better runtime.

YMMV - Your Mileage May Vary
INRFMT/W - I'm Not Reponsible For Melted Tires/Wheels

LOL!! Melted rims!! That is exactly what I was thinking... but I was told the same thing by a few local guys. I'll try the acetone again.. its always worked for me in the past.. if that doesnt work.. into the oven! I used nail polish remover at the track because my wife had left a bottle of it in the glove box.. I'm hoping regular acetone will work better.

mat3833
12-05-2005, 04:47 PM
man i need to get a yob!! (srry for the carlos mencia "job" thing) if i had the money i would get a perfect chassis from you, get a new motor, a new servo (cant drive right now...), and i would get a HRS equiped radio. lol i hate being un employed...

Matt

DrVonHoSS
12-07-2005, 11:38 PM
Damn Matt... get a job dude! RC is a lot more fun when you can blow hundreds on dollars on a $150 car! ;)

urbansub
12-08-2005, 02:54 AM
aint that the truth i got third job(well wouldnt call it a job per se)at the new hobby shop that opened up in town here. alls i got to say its about time too, for the local shop that is it stinks driving an hour to a decent shop LOL. not anymore

DrVonHoSS
12-11-2005, 05:24 AM
Just got back from racing..

We had 49 entries tonight.. it was a great time.. I TQed and won the A by more than a lap. Not bragging.. this is my 1st win with my HALF8. The car is completly dialed in. It almost drove itself. I was passing Vendettas like they weren't even there.

Its funny.. 3 weeks ago I was fed up with it and was about to give up.

Then I made some changes.

First I got rid of the brushless and Lipo. Then I changed to a Novak Spy and a Rocket400. I choose 7 Intellect cells. I also changed from a rear mounted motor to front mounted motor and designed a chassis with saddle pack cut outs (for the lowest CG). I finally believe this Eclipse chassis is worth every penny. I know I'm the person selling them.. but $75 is a lot for a chassis. But after seeing the way mine performed.. I'm sold on it. It added a lot more performance than an Atomic diff or aluminum A-Arms. I had to pay $60 for my chassis.. so $75 shipped isn't bad. I was told by the machine shop guy to avoid selling upper decks (too much time to make). I think I have convinced him to make more soon. Anyways.. this isn't supposed to be an Eclipse advertisement.

What an incredible difference! Im not sure what kind of tracks you guys are racing on.. but at our track brushed motors are perfect. There are a few guys running brushless.. and they seem to do well.. but they just dont suit my driving style. Actually.. the 3rd place finisher was running a HALF8 with a Mamba.

I believe we had around 20 buggies. 3 HALF'8s, 4 RC18Bs, and 13 Vendettas. The 3 HALF'8s finished 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Perfect! The Vendettas are very popular around here.. and I have no idea why.

The RC18Bs are very fast.. and accelerate twice as fast at the my HALF'8... the difference is the fact that my car is so stable and I can turn consistant laps. The RC18Bs will turn 3 great laps.. then a buch of junk.

The Vendettas seemed just silly tonight. I could pass them with ease.... and if I happen to bump one (which I try and avoid!).. the Vendetta is it going into the wall.. and the HALF'8 doesnt move an inch.

I think everyone on this site who owns a HALF'8 should be happy.. looks like you choose the best micro buggy.

But next week.. who knows?

bluegrooveracer
12-11-2005, 12:58 PM
dr von what is matt and canadian Jon running?

pimpsmurf
12-11-2005, 02:09 PM
Mass rules. =)

Yeah, I'm definately on the eclipse bandwagon, but I think I'll keep the brushless motor up front. I would be interested in hearing what motors have what timings, but I've not seen any lists of what motors should be mounted where.

You use the 3Racing center diff housing, right? Can you use the clear dust cover with it?

-JNY

DrVonHoSS
12-11-2005, 05:06 PM
Mass rules. =)

Yeah, I'm definately on the eclipse bandwagon, but I think I'll keep the brushless motor up front. I would be interested in hearing what motors have what timings, but I've not seen any lists of what motors should be mounted where.

You use the 3Racing center diff housing, right? Can you use the clear dust cover with it?

-JNY

I am using the 3Racing center diff mount. The surface we race on is hard packed clay.. so there is really no need to run a dust cover.. I've never even tried to see if it fits.

I woke up this morning and checked our website and realized that someone video taped my race.

Heres the link.. Buggy A Main (http://tony.wnyrcinfo.com/video/FTRMicro.wmv)

The sound quality is pretty bad.. and the video isn't great either.. but you get the idea. I was driving the purple HALF8 with yellow/green flames with white rims and wing. I started in the pole position.. that will help you ID the car. Also.. the camera starts followig my buggy at around the 3 minute mark.

I started having problems clearing the table top towards the end of the race... I think my Rocket400 might be getting weak... but at $7 each.. who cares... I'll just buy another. Last week I ran a 13t pinion.. this week I used a 14t. The motor definetly ran hotter last night.

DrVonHoSS
12-11-2005, 05:07 PM
dr von what is matt and canadian Jon running?

They were only watching.

DrVonHoSS
12-31-2005, 05:29 AM
Those vendettas are starting to win races. They are only 4 guys running half8s.. about 20 vendettas, and around 4 RC18Bs.

The RC18Bs are the fastest cars on the track... too bad they don't seem to handle that well. But the funny thing is that the RC18T open class is huge and they are actually turning 19 laps now. Top laps for a buggy is only 18. The drivers have a lot to do with it.

I drove a Vendetta tonight. The car steers great!! Too bad it doesnt jump well or come out on top when bumped by a HALF8. They are running 9 cars to a race.. and there were 3 buggy mains. Almost everone uses this car and it seems like a great car.. but a little toy like.

The HALF8.. its tough to say. They have been doing well in the past. But after driving a RC18B, Vendetta and HALF8.. I have to say the HALF8 is the most stable car. It flys well.. and with 7 cells and a Rocket 400 it is fast.I we just have to find a way for it to steer better.. without making the back end loose. The HALF8 drives just like an 1/8th scale and thats why I will not give up on it.

Anyways.. I finished 2nd in the B main. The winner was 5 seconds ahead of me the whole race it seemed. Things just didnt go my way. A HALF8 finished 3rd in the A main.

BitHed
12-31-2005, 06:07 AM
...this thread makes for a good read Hoss...Interesting that you talk about the rear...Also interesting that Vendetta's are out in numbers near you...maybe Eclipse RC can combine the two into THE machine :rolleyes:

Trickpatrick
12-31-2005, 08:48 AM
Hey Doc.
Here are my steering fix's. In case it might help shutdown those cheap dura cra... buggy's.

22 degree Chubs, inside hole on steering center link. Use a closed end on link and ball cup on steering knuckle.

Mount the upper front arm, inner hingepin in the upper location. This lowers the rollcenter and really help's with the inside tire staying on the ground better.

If you unhook the front shock and take a good look at the droop you will see that the Chub hit's the inside of the arm if you dremlle a little off the side of the Chub it will drop down in the arm fruther this really helps in the corner to allow the tire to stay on the ground longer in the turn.

Softest spring all around and rear med sway bar or if no swaybar use med spring on front.

I also noticed if you use anything but light grease in front diff it will push.

Also using 3 degree rear block C.

I have more then enough steering even took some out on the radio.

BitHed
12-31-2005, 10:29 AM
...Tricky now that right there is a GREAT post...You got pics of that? Man THAT needs a thread all of its own...

...is that diff inso with a buggy or an ST diff? :o

Trickpatrick
12-31-2005, 06:14 PM
Hi Bit

That diff info is the buggy diff.
Havn't recieved new ones yet there in customs. Along with my pitbull.

I am going racing today.

It would be good to move thread so more people could find it.

Should recieve parts next week will install and take some pics of buggy and steering mods.

I also will ask if I can post pics of our local indoor track. Will take Pics today at race. There should be at least 5 fully trick'd out for racing H8's there.

I can think of at least 11 fully custom racing H8 around here.
Its hard to get everbody at track same night.
They are having a newyears race today and tonight wish you were all here good times for sure BBQ ect.

So far no Vendettas here.

I agree with Doc about his brushed setup ran it myself.
We are running predomintly Hacker bl, tekin esc. 3cell li-po.

Going back would be like giving up my z28 for a vega. :(

Trickpatrick
01-07-2006, 07:55 PM
Posted Track pics click my link :cool:

morati
01-07-2006, 08:39 PM
Posted Track pics click my link :cool:Man, is that a NICE Track. Where's it located, Tricky?

Trickpatrick
01-07-2006, 08:52 PM
Sweet huh?

I wish pics could really show how nice it is.
Incontrol hobbies In CDA Idaho USA

Full Micro and more Parts store
The owners are Racers too.
They have worked very hard to make this dream happen.

Send 'em a shout out they deserve praise it takes alot of bravery to start a shop with a track from scratch.

There are alot of RCers in our area who have a place to do our thing thanks to them. :) :) :) :)

Incontrolhobbies@adelphia.net

mat3833
01-07-2006, 08:57 PM
man i wish i had a track like that... my LHS doesnt even carry kyosho parts...

Matt

gopher
01-10-2006, 02:40 PM
I think Vendettas are so popular because of the price and they generally just need a battery upgrade to be competitive... at least that is what I heard

I am still pulled in different directions since I don't race :)

The only reason I lean towards h8s is incase a track opens nearby that I can race on :)

Trickpatrick
01-10-2006, 04:36 PM
The only vendettas I have seen at my LHS are for sale used in the shop. :(

gopher
01-10-2006, 07:42 PM
I can't remember where, but saw a picture of a h8 st next to a M LST and the size was comparible :)

makes me want the st even more =)

DrVonHoSS
01-10-2006, 10:23 PM
The only vendettas I have seen at my LHS are for sale used in the shop. :(

Its funny. The HALF8's are out numbered 4 to 35 at our track. The Vendetta is just a more popular car here.

We had 84 entries total last weekend. 3 of the 4 HALF8's ran in the A Main... and the race was won by a HALF8.. thats gotta prove something. A lot of our fast guys are running Vendettas so they are really giving us (HALF8 guys) a battle.

morati
01-11-2006, 04:27 AM
Its funny. The HALF8's are out numbered 4 to 35 at our track. The Vendetta is just a more popular car here.

We had 84 entries total last weekend. 3 of the 4 HALF8's ran in the A Main... and the race was won by a HALF8.. thats gotta prove something. A lot of our fast guys are running Vendettas so they are really giving us (HALF8 guys) a battle.Mmmmm, you didn't tell us how YOU did? Kinda curious.

pointcrossed
01-12-2006, 09:39 AM
I bet you take the vendetta drivers seriously now. I am sure 35 vendettas with close to TQ setup does not help your odds either. And being that they are race ready out of the box does not help, they are very easy to set up and tune, but they are not the hot ticket unfortunately, just what the LHS has, but I am sure since the mini inferno won the A there will be more of them showing up. :D

DrVonHoSS
01-12-2006, 11:37 PM
Mmmmm, you didn't tell us how YOU did? Kinda curious.

I qualified 2 in the B main.. then won the B main and bumped to the A. I finished last in the A.

My driving was perfect in the B... but I couldnt get any consistency going in the A.

morati
01-13-2006, 04:01 AM
I qualified 2 in the B main.. then won the B main and bumped to the A. I finished last in the A.

My driving was perfect in the B... but I couldnt get any consistency going in the A.Pretty good considering the number of drivers out there.....I actually heard what happened in the A Main through the grapevine......Sounds like a mutual friend had some bad luck.....

DrVonHoSS
01-25-2006, 11:57 PM
I haven't posted in a while.. haven't raced my HALF 8 in a couple weeks.

I did go to the Indoor Gas Champs race (1/8th Scale) in Ohio this past weekend. I made the Q main!! Horrible!! I did manage to bump up a few times... I enjoyed the track time. I only had 10 mins of practice and servo issues in qualifing.

When all was said and done I had a worn out set of tires and was happy. My car temped at 194 degrees and was the fastest car on the track. I run an RB Concepts S7 Europa. Its a $220 engine that runs like a $500 engine.

Man.. I can't wait till summer.. 1/8th scale is gonna be sick! :)

joseph
01-27-2006, 07:42 AM
I,D have to say thay track looks great would really like to race with u guys someday.Joe :D

DrVonHoSS
01-27-2006, 08:19 PM
I,D have to say thay track looks great would really like to race with u guys someday.Joe :D

Joe..

We have an indoor Micro Champs race in two weeks.. hop on a plane!!

Neil

joseph
01-27-2006, 08:51 PM
I wish it was that easy maybe soon where are you guys located.you can email me and let me know simonetti_joseph@yahoo.com later :D

joseph
01-27-2006, 09:30 PM
I really think the vendetta is a ok buggy but they start really getting the hopups for them there gonna give the half eight a run for the money. But then on the other hand its driver skill over the car and hopups that are on it that make the cars handle the way they do with some modifications of course.

DrVonHoSS
01-28-2006, 01:56 AM
Located in Lockport, NY

There should be more than 100 entries!

mini racer
01-29-2006, 02:02 AM
dang i guess over in New York mini's are bigging in racing than in california because y guys had almost 50 minis! we usually get 5-8 minis a race, i think one half8, our track www.socalrc.com is too small for half8's so the 18t's dominate thats why i use my 18t instead but with alot of half8 equipment, i'll post pics of my socal setup in a few days i think it'll hook up because i got the crimefighterz so it'll hook up really good.

well good luck in future races and have fun!

Glitch
01-31-2006, 10:41 PM
Mini racer,

I have not been to SoCal in awhile due to my newborn. I think SoCal was fine for my Half8 but, I never saw any other 8s running so I quit going. Anyway, I'm going to try the 8 at Revelations tommorrow. The layout definitley promotes some airtime and has enought straight to stretch the Aon4900. I'm also going to break in my Xmas present, MTX4 and my Murnan OSTZ. If ANY 8s show up a SoCal, I come down. Talk to you later.

Dave

mini racer
02-01-2006, 03:19 AM
ya but theres some good competitiomn out there now that me and my homies are down there alot now, i'll tell u next time ima be down at socal, i got a crazy setup now and im pretty confident about my mini :cool:

Glitch
02-11-2006, 05:49 AM
Mini,

I went to Revelations on Thursday. Man, what a blast. The track suites the 8 very well. It was great keeping up with most of the trucks, buggies, and truggies. The only bummer was a blown rear diff. I already rebuilt the front,center, and rear diff. I tried some shimming for extra durability. By, the way, where did you get your crimefighters? and where can buy some ST diffs?
Thanks in advance.

mini racer
02-14-2006, 12:10 AM
i got them at my lhs speedshop, along with the proline dish wheels. i love those tires way more than the step-pin type stock ones

mini racer
02-14-2006, 12:29 AM
glitch: i may go 2 socal on sunday, if you go there will be a few of these you'll have to race:
http://photobucket.com/albums/b275/miniracer_/?action=view&current=miniX5001.jpg
i'm real confident on this setup it really hooks up!

Glitch
02-14-2006, 06:36 PM
Mini,

Thanks for the info. I've never been to Speedshop but, alot of people have said good things about it. Your RC18B looks race hungry. ;) I will be watching the Daytona 500 this Sunday but, thanks for invite. My 8 is race hungry too! :cool:

mini racer
02-18-2006, 02:53 AM
aight, i havent raced for ,like a month and a week so im way more race hungry than my rc18b! oh ya i'll watch the daytona 500 from the tv's they have at socal so i get a double-dose of racing!