PDA

View Full Version : Soldering tabbed batteries

bcuzau
12-02-2005, 04:19 PM
I'll be making a couple of battery packs for my H8.. does anyone have any tips on using batteries with tabs? .. I'm not new with a soldering iron but i have never used tabbed batteries.. I've always soldered right to the batteries terminals..

Thanks,
Nam :)

pointcrossed
12-04-2005, 08:52 PM
I just trim them off and sand them down and use battery bars. They are like tack welded on, so annoying....

BitHed
12-04-2005, 09:05 PM
...Agree with PointCrossed...I recommend ORION bars...nice and thin, very low profile...I used ATOMIC for a while but they are bigger and will make your pack dimensions slightly larger...

mat3833
12-04-2005, 09:06 PM
yep orion is the way to go, unless deans makes batt bars( dont think they do)

Matt

BitHed
12-04-2005, 09:23 PM
...yeppers...If Deans made 2/3A bars then they would be best...Buut like Matt says, Im not sure if they do...I dont think they do...they probably dont :D

mat3833
12-04-2005, 11:17 PM
nope only big batt bars.

Matt

BiGRoB21
12-05-2005, 01:12 AM
novak now makes some small battery bars too! but for now i only have the orion ones and they work good.

pointcrossed
12-05-2005, 10:42 AM
yep orion is the way to go, unless deans makes batt bars( dont think they do)

Matt

Bars and tabs do not really make a significant difference when they are a good material like copper gold or silver, even though gold and silver are better because they reduce corrsion and have higher conductivity.

Gold and silver tabs are best because they are thinner and dont jack up the pack shape and still have the current flow a bar would have.

Bars are Ideal with the larger cells because of the curent flow. Unless I am using sub c cells, or have a $500+ professional soldering station that wont overheat the 2/3A cells, I leave the pack building to the pros like United RC, which will build a race grade pack with quality tabs for less cost than building it myself. So its better to buy the packs than cells and why waste your time focusing on building a pack when you can work on your car or driving...

Just my $0.02

bcuzau
12-05-2005, 12:50 PM
Thanks for all the replies.. :)

The main reason I'm making my own packs is that I want to use 7 cells and would prefer Nicad batteries(only because I don't have a Nimh charger).. Nicad is almost a dirty word nowadays, with the capacity vs. $ of Nimh's .. The packs are sure cheap URC 16.50USD for a 8cell 1100 mah pack.

But I figured I'd be alright using my old Tekin charger and make my own 7-cell 1000mah AA packs.. Cheaper than buying a good Nimh charger and a couple of Nimh packs.. I'm not racing anymore, so I should be ok..

I don't know how well the AA's will hold up, but if they don't then I guess I'll start shopping for a Nimh charger.