PDA

View Full Version : Mamba 8000kv tested!

MonoTuning
04-05-2005, 03:35 PM
We ran the car in a indoor track in HongKong. Rather small track
Run time about 15mins.
Need to use RC18T pinion on the motor because the hole on the kyosho pinion is bigger.
The motor got a little hot but was ok, we then added a heatsink..
We had a great time with the system.

One more thing, the front dog bones pop out very easy, locking the steering..

:D

BitHed
04-05-2005, 03:57 PM
...ok...20 questions...controllable? Loose? Tight? Sexy in jeans? Reactions from lookers-on? Did it stay straight? Any other damage? The Mamba fit ok? Hows the weight? What will you eat for breakfast in the morning...

MonoTuning
04-05-2005, 04:09 PM
Hi Bit!
The car is very stable and the speed was pretty good too, the car has optional oil shocks, thats a plus.
Yes, people were surprise because only running 6cells, its already so much faster than stock motor with 8 cells.

The slippery clutch was slipping though, even turning almost all the way in. Trying to find a way to limit the slip.

hkopium
04-05-2005, 04:50 PM
Hi Bit!
The car is very stable and the speed was pretty good too, the car has optional oil shocks, thats a plus.
Yes, people were surprise because only running 6cells, its already so much faster than stock motor with 8 cells.

The slippery clutch was slipping though, even turning almost all the way in. Trying to find a way to limit the slip.

Slippery clutch = diff?

Slipping = will be damaged? :eek:

How much and where to buy the Mamba 8000 in HK?

MonoTuning
04-05-2005, 05:01 PM
Hi hkopium, the slippery clutch is the unit in the center, the top part where there is a nut you can tighten or loosen.

No, there wouldn't be any damage but it will make the car response slower to throttle input and the motor will get hotter.

You can go to Kwong Wa street to ask around, some of the shops have it already. The price is same as US street price.

But you have to use RC18T pinion gear, try 10teeth first ,part# is 21152.

You can send me private message if you have any questions.

ruknd
04-05-2005, 06:28 PM
are there CVD's in teh works?

for diff tuning I crank teh slipper down...thn withon ehand on one wheel and the tx base on the other I give it gas..tighten the diff till it doesn't slip. I then loosen the slipper till it lets the front of the car off the ground about 4 inches or so. If the slipper slipps still try a bit of sand paper to roughen it up a bit

RURC
04-05-2005, 06:57 PM
are there CVD's in teh works?

for diff tuning I crank teh slipper down...thn withon ehand on one wheel and the tx base on the other I give it gas..tighten the diff till it doesn't slip. I then loosen the slipper till it lets the front of the car off the ground about 4 inches or so. If the slipper slipps still try a bit of sand paper to roughen it up a bit

4 inches (101.6 mm)? Why do you adjust it so tight? That seems a bit high to me. I adjust my B4 to about 1 1/2 inches (38.1 mm). I have been setting mine to 1 inch (25.4 mm). This has proven very strong and clean with little heat build up on the motor.

BL guys get the heat sink. I said it before and I really mean it. GET THE HEAT SINK. I have had the 5400 6800 and the 8000 rather quickly reach terminal temps. With the heatsink I have not had a problem. This is in the Florida outside heat.

Dont for get the Losi Nationals are here in Tampa this weekend. Gonna flip some lids with this thing I hope. :D

ruknd
04-05-2005, 07:05 PM
i find that 3-4 incles works well with a stock motor...especiall of the larger doubles. then again I have moved to a skipgear thruster on my MF2 and BK2 and tend to run my slipper a bit tight

RURC
04-05-2005, 07:12 PM
i find that 3-4 incles works well with a stock motor...especiall of the larger doubles. then again I have moved to a skipgear thruster on my MF2 and BK2 and tend to run my slipper a bit tight

Sounds reasonable. I am running BL motors. I will need information on the SKIPGEAR thruster. Please send me information on that.

ruknd
04-05-2005, 07:20 PM
Sounds reasonable. I am running BL motors. I will need information on the SKIPGEAR thruster. Please send me information on that.
www.skipgear.com unfortunately he tends to specialize in Losi parts. I'd like to find one for the B4 though...

lukeita
04-05-2005, 08:54 PM
Wow MiniInferno with Mamba??? Did you record a movie about how fast is it?
It would be fantastic!
Thanks

hkopium
04-06-2005, 01:02 AM
Hi hkopium, the slippery clutch is the unit in the center, the top part where there is a nut you can tighten or loosen.

No, there wouldn't be any damage but it will make the car response slower to throttle input and the motor will get hotter.

You can go to Kwong Wa street to ask around, some of the shops have it already. The price is same as US street price.

But you have to use RC18T pinion gear, try 10teeth first ,part# is 21152.

You can send me private message if you have any questions.

I see. Thanks for the info. :D

(1) Using 8x2/3A batteries and the Mamba motor, no need to change the ESC?

(2) Is the Diff. set gears are metal made or plastic? I haven't opened the diff cover to look inside yet. They look like metal to me. :confused:

BitHed
04-06-2005, 01:07 AM
...I think you need a MAMBA esc to run the MAMBA...

...ALL the gears are plastic and MUST be lubed or packed with something...

...I TIGHTENED my front & rear difs and im running better and smoother now...Yours might be different though...Mine was REALLY noisy and is still noisy but better than it was...

hkopium
04-06-2005, 01:23 AM
...I think you need a MAMBA esc to run the MAMBA...

...ALL the gears are plastic and MUST be lubed or packed with something...

...I TIGHTENED my front & rear difs and im running better and smoother now...Yours might be different though...Mine was REALLY noisy and is still noisy but better than it was...

Hi bro BitHed, so how much would that be, the Mamba 8000kv + ESC in USD?

Ah, plastic, yuck!!! :eek:

My diff is noisy as hell, I wanna put a ear-muff on them. :D
Would adding some silicon oil (for my airgun) be helpful to speed and smoothness and reduce noise?

BitHed
04-06-2005, 01:57 AM
...hkopium...i cant get any brushless gear at all...Not my field of expertise...

...Different companies are doing different things right now so i will be watching the new stuff that comes out...

WhoMe
04-06-2005, 02:00 AM
I find that most of the noise doesnt actually come from the front and rear diffs rather it comes from the gear mesh and diff in the center of the car.

BitHed
04-06-2005, 02:09 AM
...WhoMe very true...

1: Its basically uncovered, ie NOT in a case...

2: Check your stock meshing...It might be either too tight or too loose...

3: Watch the motor mount itself...it moves quite easily we have found...Plastic on plastic is never a great union...

JuJuB
04-06-2005, 02:16 AM
I herd the Mamba is too fast is it true

BitHed
04-06-2005, 02:27 AM
...i have heard comments like that too...brushless doesnt interest me in my position right now...not enough room and not enough time...maybe one day though...

JuJuB
04-06-2005, 02:30 AM
wen i get my H8 ill probably just get the Mamba ESC

BitHed
04-06-2005, 02:45 AM
...for sure the MAMBA is the most famous but there ARE other choices...I would prefer a TEKIN Scorpion but i want to know what im doing first...Im still 'brushed' :o

TNB
04-06-2005, 02:52 AM
MonoTuning,

Which servo did you use in the Kyosho Mini-Inferno with the Mamba-25 brushless set up? To me, the Kysoho appears to have even less room than the Losi Mini-T so I doubt if I will be using a HiTech HS-5125MG like I used in my Mini-T.

BitHed
04-06-2005, 03:31 AM
...TNB FYI...Hitec HS 85 BB or HS 85 MG are perfect fits for the Hitec servo mount...Looks like KYOSHO had this one in mind when they did the mount...Mount measurements are on the boards here somewhere and also in the manual...But i know you know that...Peace..

TNB
04-06-2005, 03:44 AM
I used the HS-5125MG in my Losi Mini-T and I have slammed it hard into some brick walls without damaging the servo (without ever using a servo saver).

HS-5125MG Digital Slim Wing Servo 0.84 oz
(25.0 g) 0.51 x 1.14 x 1.18 in
(13 x 29 x 30 mm) 41.7/48.6 oz-in
(3.0/3.5 kg-cm) 0.17/0.13 sec
@ 60 deg 3 pole ferrite motor, all metal gears, dual ball bearing

HS-85BB Mighty Micro Ball Bearing 0.77 oz
(21.9 g) 0.51 x 1.14 x 1.18 in
(3.0/3.5 kg-cm) 0.16/0.14 sec
@ 60 deg 3 pole ferrite motor, nylon gears, top ball bearing

HS-85MG Mighty Micro Metal Gear 0.80 oz
(22.1 g) 0.51 x 1.14 x 1.18 in
(3.0/3.5 kg-cm) 0.16/0.14 sec
@ 60 deg 3 pole ferrite motor, nylon gears, top ball bearing

http://www.fatlion.com/sailplanes/servochart.html

MonoTuning
04-06-2005, 05:07 AM
TNB, we were using the KO-947 i believe. it is for 1/12 scale.

hkopium
04-06-2005, 05:23 AM
...i have heard comments like that too...brushless doesnt interest me in my position right now...not enough room and not enough time...maybe one day though...

-- Deleted by Hkopium -- sorry

RURC
04-06-2005, 08:16 PM

Right now my radar gun is down but I am positively shure I am exceeding 40 mph with a Mamba. Right now between the real job and playing with these little cars I cant even down load and edit the video. But I will. Just got customers pounding on my door and I cant turn them away. Gotta pay the bills.

BitHed
04-06-2005, 08:47 PM
...RURC...I know how that feels mate...ordering, packing, posting, client care, posting on the the boards and THEN R&D on the H8 means BitHed is a busy boy...Add to that the fact that my camera is dead its gets very crazy very quickly...

...Last night i ran the 16t pinion with the a 6 cell GP1100 pack and an xspeed...It was fast...I can only BEGIN to imagine the seeds you must be gettting up to...But DAMN its fun isnt it? :D

gab696
04-17-2005, 09:37 PM
I am thinking to order this motor but i have heard that i need to change the original receiver of my Half 8 just ?
What i can do to spent the less money? I can keep the original radio transmetter ?
I case i need to replace them i have found this transemetter what do you think?
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXENN0**&P=0
it's a Futaba 2PL 2-Channel AM/2 S3003 Servos

Thanks for your recommandation !

BitHed
04-17-2005, 09:53 PM
...Gab the 3003 servos wont fit; Thay are too big... Nice propo though...

lukeita
04-17-2005, 10:02 PM
Hello!
Yes you need to change the original receiver... if you want you can keep your transmitter and buy only an AM 27MHz receiver. If you plan to change everything, you'd better to buy a new FM set, for example (if you like Futaba wheel transmitters) the Futaba 3PL, without servos (as BitHed said they won't fit in your H8):

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGAG2**&P=0

bye

gab696
04-17-2005, 10:21 PM
Thanks !
if i take this 27 mhz receiver:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJKR3&P=7

i need to add other batteries or he can take the power on my battery pack?

adrenalinrush123998
04-18-2005, 12:00 AM
WOW!!! i have been looking for an r/x like that for....a lonmg time
HA HA!!!!! THE HUMBLE BEE SHALL FLY AGAIN!!!!!!
err-hem anyways

i think the hitec agressor (that comes with servos) has servos that might fit

Rcdriver
04-18-2005, 01:01 AM
If you want to go the FM route, a REALLY GOOD tx is the Airtronics MX3 (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCHA8**&P=7) . The place that is best to get it is Hobby Guy RC (http://www.hobbieguyrc.com/catalog/airtronics_mx3_transmitters_350438_products.htm), it does include a servo but iono if it fits. There is also a synthesized version, which I have and got from Rcboyz (http://www.carttonic.com/catalog/index.php?file=catalog&action=catalog_productinfo&uid=466&clist=0,9833,11297,15278&pi_id=122994) . :)

BitHed
04-18-2005, 01:14 AM
...The ONLY HITEC that is a DIRECT fir is the 85MG...Others might fit with a little fiddling...I kow that TNB got something in there...

...BTW the 85MG ROX !! Metal gears, double bearings...its taken a beating and keeps coming back...

...Gab I cant hit yout TOWER link from work...Could you list the name of the reciever you have in that link? Thanks...

...The reciever I am using is the little LRP one that comes stock in the 18T...Its small and is working REALLY well...Its sitting next to the 'smoke-spewing, oil-burning' xspeed and works without blinking...Great unit if you have one sitting around..

TNB
04-18-2005, 02:14 AM
I kow that TNB got something in there...
I used the HS-5125MG programmable digital servo with dual ball bearings "featuring the 'unbreakable' MP gear train."
http://www.hitecrcd.com/Servos/hs5125.htm

gab696
04-18-2005, 08:02 AM
I would thanks everybody for helping me ! ;)

BitHed here is the reference for the receiver that i want to use:
Futaba R124H 4-Channel AM Receiver 27MHz.

Regarding the power supply for this receiver. It's neccesary to put the battery harness (AAA batteries) to work or it can take the power by a other way ?

A last question... can i use the original servo mounted on the half8 with this receiver or i need to change it ?

gab696
04-18-2005, 09:23 AM
RCDRIVER do you know if i can use the original servo mounted on the half 8 with the Airtronics MX-3 ?

lukeita
04-18-2005, 11:08 AM
Hello!
The original servo has 4 wires, while standard receivers (for example the one shipped with MX-3) uses 3 wires servo, so I think it will be difficult to use the original servo (in the electronic section of this forum you can find a discussion about it)... you'd better to change everything (receiver, esc, servo)
bye

RURC
04-18-2005, 07:03 PM
The 4 wire servo is a push pull type and is not compatable with any aftermarket system that I know of. Just change the servo and get a better, stronger , faster one. You should really upgrade the whole radio setup. Many of the high end transmitters have controlles that will allow you to adjust not only the steering distance but the speed that it reacts and adjust the acceleration ramp up. When you start going in the 50 plus speed range this will , WILL become inportant.

gab696
04-18-2005, 07:11 PM
Following your recommandations I have just ordered a Airtronics MX3 transmetter with a micro servo.
I am waiting hurriedly my mamba and the Aitronics MX3... ;) :D

Anybody know if i need to modify somthing on my Half8 to screw the brushless mamba on the original motor support ?

Rcdriver
04-18-2005, 07:36 PM
Following your recommandations I have just ordered a Airtronics MX3 transmetter with a micro servo.

Congrads gab. You will not be dissapointed. :)

Where did you order it from?

TNB
04-18-2005, 08:24 PM
Anybody know if i need to modify somthing on my Half8 to screw the brushless mamba on the original motor support ?
I didn't have to modify squat and simply lined up the respective holes.

half8 abuser
04-28-2005, 02:15 AM

What was the part # for the micro servo.

vindictor67
04-28-2005, 03:34 AM

Hello Gab, I just installed the Mamba 6800 tonight. You will LOVE IT!! A couple of things: The holes on the can of the motor are on different centers. Meaning, put the motor up to the mount so you can see the screw holes through both holes in the mount. If they don't line up perfectly rotate the motor to the next set of holes. One set lines up perfectly. Also, I used an 11T 48 pitch pinion for the associated 18t. It was a little too long so I installed a couple of washers between the motor and the mount. I also had to grind off some of the pinion behind the set screw. Some work but it will fit.

One last thing. The controller will fit perfectly on the frame next to the motor. Almost like they made room for it :confused: . Mine fit best with the motor leads toward the rear. Wireing fit better under the "Lid".

TNB
05-01-2005, 10:47 PM
Just wondering--if there is a section for brushless motors, why are there brushless motor threads in what I would consider the "brushed" section by default?

BitHed
05-01-2005, 10:58 PM
...TNB that might be because we are a slack bunch of losers who cant get our finger out long enough to move stuff around on the boards...I willl start to do some housecleaning soon though and I will try to straighten things out a bit for you...

TNB
05-01-2005, 11:56 PM
It doesn't matter that much to me since I usually just hit "New Posts" when I log in though it might cut down on duplicate Q&As.