PDA

View Full Version : Quick 12v Charger × Slow Home 110v Charger

mnwrr
11-23-2005, 02:43 PM
On my quest for a decent (and cheap ;)) charger, I came upon the quick field chargers, that use a 12v battery. The best "home charger" that I found would give me a complete charge for my X42s in about 8 hours. But with this Peak 400 (http://www.electrifly.com/chargers/gpmm3001.html) I would charge the same pack in about 1 hour. Even with me buying a 12v power source, I would spend basically the same or a little less then with the AC unit.

What do you guys think, are these quick chargers ok? The advantage of the home unit that I found (I posted it in another thread) was that it had a decharger built in.

QuickEight
11-23-2005, 05:13 PM
On my quest for a decent (and cheap ;)) charger, I came upon the quick field chargers, that use a 12v battery. The best "home charger" that I found would give me a complete charge for my X42s in about 8 hours. But with this Peak 400 (http://www.electrifly.com/chargers/gpmm3001.html) I would charge the same pack in about 1 hour. Even with me buying a 12v power source, I would spend basically the same or a little less then with the AC unit.

What do you guys think, are these quick chargers ok? The advantage of the home unit that I found (I posted it in another thread) was that it had a decharger built in.

Eight hours to do a complete charge seems like a rather long time. I have a MRC Super Brain 997 that does a complete peak charge in less than an hour on my 8-cell battery packs.

But from my perspective, having a good home charger unit, with power supply, is one of the best investments you can make. And most chargers have an external connection available so you can always use it as a portable unit with a 12 volt battery supplying the power.

Perhaps I have misunderstood your post and if so, then I apologize.

mnwrr
11-23-2005, 05:51 PM
Thanks for your reply, Q8. I'm trying to buy the best charger I can find, but the problem is price. These things are absurdly expensive here. Just so you can have an idea, I paid US$ 280,00 on my H8. A top-of-the-line charger, like your Super Brain, here goes for around $170. This home unit that I posted elsewhere would cost me about $100, about the same amount I would pay on a quick field charger + 12v power source. To pay 60% of what I payed on the H8 for one accessory is rather out of the question for me. So that's why I want to know if a quick field charger like the one I posted is ok to use, ie, won't harm the battery packs and can do a good job on charging them.

pimpsmurf
11-23-2005, 08:25 PM
The dynamite Vision Peak Ultra is what I use. It has 12v power support, as well as a built-in ac adaptor. It can charge up to 2A on AC input, and 5A on DC input. Plus is supports NMHd, NiCD, and lithium poly profiles. $90 retail.

100MA + .05ma increments. Hella selectable, but not so great for those 80mah lipos people put in some 1:64 micros...

-JNY