PDA

View Full Version : X42s: how to

mnwrr
11-18-2005, 07:55 PM
Thanks to Jon over at URC (;) thanks buddy!) I now got a pair of X42s to run in my Infernetto (but only after Xmas :(). Being a noob, I need some pointers on care and how to charge these batteries. So if anyone could be kind enough to answer these questions I would be grateful :):

1) I can get an el cheapo Hobbyco 9.6v charger, which I don't know the specs. It doesn't have any features at all, only provides charge. Can I use it forever or can I use it only temporarily or should I not even bother? I don't even got the car yet but I've already blown my budget with parts, so any economy would be much appreciated. If I'm "allowed" to use it, to know the charge time I should dvide 1100 (mAh from the batteries) by the mAh output of the charger? For instance, if the charger has an output of 250 mA, peak charge will be reached in about 4h24mins (1100/250 = 4.4 hours = 4h24mins). Is that it?

2) Using the el cheapo, should I turn it off at exactly 4h24mins and not leave the batteries for more time then that? Do I have to disconnect the betteries or just unplugging the charger from the wall be enough?

3) Do URC batteries already come charged? If not, is there some charge/discharge cycle I should put them through before using?

4) Using them on the buggy, should I drain them all the way before recharging? In other words, can I run the buggy until it no more moves?

There is more that I want to ask, but from the answers to these questions I'll branch out if it's the case. I know I should buy a good charger, but I've been looking around and they're expensive as heck here (around 100 bucks usually :eek: ). If I could use the el cheapo it would mean GREAT economy.

bermbuster
11-18-2005, 10:51 PM
el cheapo is not the way to go.....can you wait 4 plus hours to run for only 15 minutes.....el cheapo doesn t detect the peak.....that is when you really need to unplug it.......if you forget and leave it plugged in does it continue to charge.......nimh dont like to be overcharged......a good charger keeps your packs in peak condition.......poorly charged batteries will give you poor performance......the duratrax piranha digital is a good charger for $50....US im not sure about SA though....you said you can use 110v...have any relatives in the US? Get them to get it for you for Christmas...... :D

QuickEight
11-18-2005, 11:52 PM
I have been using the MRC 977 Super Brain Battery Charger (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLCJ6&P=ML) for some time and before that a MRC Super Brain 969 Pro Series charger. Personally, I have been very happy with these chargers as the have served me very well. The nice thing about them is you can setup your own charging characterisctics or just punch the button and let the peak charger do its' magic. The only thing I want is 10-cell capability so I can get a UNITED RC X52 pack. :D

I also believe the URC packs do come pre-charged so you can just load them and go.

I also try and run my packs down till the car stops but that does not always happen. With the 9.6v packs you do get plenty of run time even with brushless setups. If I don't run them all the way down I use a SpinTec discharger to clean them out before I charge again. Others probably have a differnt process so hopefully you will get other replies.

Personally, I would not waste my money on an el-cheapo charger as you will just be wasting your money. Save up and get the best you can afford then you will be happy. ;)

QuickEight
11-19-2005, 12:30 AM
I have been using the MRC 977 Super Brain Battery Charger (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLCJ6&P=ML) for some time and before that a MRC Super Brain 969 Pro Series charger. Personally, I have been very happy with these chargers as the have served me very well. The nice thing about them is you can setup your own charging characterisctics or just punch the button and let the peak charger do its' magic. The only thing I want is 10-cell capability so I can get a UNITED RC X52 pack. :D

I also believe the URC packs do come pre-charged so you can just load them and go.

I also try and run my packs down till the car stops but that does not always happen. With the 9.6v packs you do get plenty of run time even with brushless setups. If I don't run them all the way down I use a SpinTec discharger to clean them out before I charge again. Others probably have a differnt process so hopefully you will get other replies.

Personally, I would not spend my money on an el-cheapo charger as you will just be wasting your money. Save up and get the best you can afford then you will be happy. ;)

DrVonHoSS
11-19-2005, 12:47 AM
I used to have a MRC 959(?), it was purple. It was around $50 and it was great! I used it to charge MiMH packs.

I sold that charger for $30 and bought a Triton charger for $120. The Triton does Lipos and NiMH.. thats why I bought it.

It has been good but sometimes, 20% of the time, false peaks. Its a little annoying but the different types of batteries it can charge and the discharge and cycle features are great.

My point is.. hold out for a good charger.. at least something that peaks, has an adjustable charge rate (amps), and an LCD display. If you buy that cheap charger you will wind up buying a better one in 2 months and will have wasted money.

My motto.. Buy the best or buy twice!

One more thing.. QuickEight.. I dont think you are supposed to discharge MiMH packs that low. They have no memory so its pointless and bad for the pack.. at least thats what Ive read. If im wrong.. please tell me! Im running Lipos for now.. but I may go back to MiMH and a brushed motor and I need the facts!

My new motto.. I bought the best (Mamba/Aon).. but realize that the cheap brushed motors may be the way to go at my track.. BL is too fast!

Anyone want to join RC Anonymous with me?

"my name is Hoss... and im an RC addict."

I got my CC bill yesterday.. $1200 last month.. all HALF8 stuff.. someone please stop the bleeding!

I need to sell more chassis's! Only problem is.. I dont have any left! Hopefully by Monday I will have more. I shipped 1 yesterday to Carl (hes on this board) and 1 today to Blackhawk. I will be sending emails to people on the list as soon as I can.

OK.. sorry I rambled on..

Buy a good charger.. you wont regret it.

BitHed
11-19-2005, 01:35 AM
...batteries are the life and blood of your machine but its the CHARGER that keeps THEM happy and smiling...Skimp on a charger and oyu are selling yourself short...Save up, get a good one, and then you will never need to worry about not having enough fun...It is VERY worth it in the long run...

...Hoss...I know that addiction...It has taken different shapes over the years...Congrats on your chassis sales...I will wait for mine to arrive in time for the ST ;) I wil let the hoardes run them on the 'buggy' :cool:

mnwrr
11-19-2005, 01:45 AM
No way el cheapo will do, eh? Caspita, more money to spend then :(. Because of importation taxes is not viable for me to bring it from abroad, so I'll see what I can find here.

I did a quich search and found this charger ready available, for about US$ 100,00 (heck, in the US it's around 50 bucks :() What do you guys think about the Hobbico HCAP0290 (http://www.hobbyoutlets.com/hobbico/hcap0290.htm)?

DrVonHoSS
11-19-2005, 02:06 AM
That import tax is odd.. we dont have that here. Maybe thats why everything is made someplace else.

Check out those MRC chargers. If you got one off ebay and it was shipped as a "gift".. or is that illegal?

I dont want the Brazillian police showing up at my door.

QuickEight
11-19-2005, 02:39 AM
I used to think that my monster trucks caused me to spend excessive amounts of money but these little Mini Inferno beasts are causing me some maxi spending sprees. I go to a parts site just to look around and it costs me at least $50 to leave. Woe is me... But I love it. These H8s are just so much fun. And even my wife loves her. Of course, I maintain it and am now upgrading it to all red as inspired by BitHed. :D

DrVonHoSS, I will do a little more checking on my draining the NiMh batteries and see if that process is hurting them.

As a backup charger I also keep one of the DuraTrax Piranha AC/DC NiCd/NiMH Digital Peak Chargers around and it does a really good job for $50. DuraTrax has greatly improved their products lately.

QuickEight
11-19-2005, 02:41 AM
I also must apologize for the double post above. My excuse is I had a couple of teeth extracted and I am on some really good pain medicine. :p

BitHed
11-19-2005, 06:18 AM
I maintain it and am now upgrading it to all red as inspired by BitHed. :D

...Mate you aint seen NUTHIN' yet ;) I have a cunning plan...I will be in touch ;) I hope you RED and understand this cunningly cryptic message ;)

xpcgamer
11-19-2005, 12:22 PM
1200? Jeeze I would have had a coronary! I guess thats what racing would do?
I use a Charge it all Sport http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/130116.asp
It works great. Only problem is it doesn't "beep" when it is done. Gotta kinda stare at it till the lights flash :( ,
But it does it all.
I may just sell all I have and buy a Touring FG model. Just gotta find a track to run it on.

pointcrossed
11-19-2005, 03:40 PM
I have a MRC 959 charger http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAVN1&P= , its a great charger and has a display and adjustment for voltage peak and current adjustment which is most important like high end chargers. It is great for charging transmitter batteries. I also have an Eagle Racing D1 its great because it is simple and stable.

mnwrr
11-19-2005, 05:54 PM
What about this one (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?&I=LXL357&P=V)? I ask of this Hobbico model because a Brazilian-made charger called "Super Cycler":

http://www.planecon.com.br/supcyabr.jpg
It has the same features of the Hobbico Accu-Cycle above. Would this one be good enough? The advantages of it is that it's cheaper then the imported units and I get a 2 year warranty.

bermbuster
11-19-2005, 07:35 PM
the charging wires and the type of plug look a bit thin to do any quick charging.....I dont know Luciano......it doesnt look to promising......
Keep looking...

mnwrr
11-19-2005, 07:47 PM
From what I read, it has a programable charge rate of 25, 50, 75, 100 and 125 mAh, so I think the X42s would be charged in a little less then 9 hours.

tulsidas
11-21-2005, 10:38 AM
The manual for both the mrc and the piranha mention they accept only 110V AC as input. Can somebody please recommend good chargers which support 220V AC as input for 1-8cell NiMH in the $50 price range

pointcrossed
11-21-2005, 12:51 PM
The manual for both the mrc and the piranha mention they accept only 110V AC as input. Can somebody please recommend good chargers which support 220V AC as input for 1-8cell NiMH in the $50 price range

Oh thats easy, get a converter, they are relatively cheap, like $20 bucks or so...

edited mispelling

tulsidas
11-22-2005, 02:45 AM
Oh thats easy, get a converter, they are relatively cheap, like $20 bucks or so...

edited mispelling

Please do let me know if you know of any good ones. I have had problems with 60hz to 50hz AC conversion earlier.