PDA

View Full Version : Radio Systems

pointcrossed
11-17-2005, 06:12 AM
I started this thread because I need to purchase another radio and I have upgraded all my electronics in my RTR. I already have 4 other cars and will have 1 more. I also have a Airtronics MX3 FM that can hold multiple cars I did not really like It I just bought it because it was a good deal. So I want to get a poll of what people like, want, or wish they had. Please tell me why you like this radio and if you have any specific prefrences with them that would be great...

navydochalf8
11-17-2005, 09:57 AM
i have a jr xs3. i have 2 savages, hyper 7, hpi nitro rs4 3, hpi mt2, mini inferno. 4 of the 6 have jr synthesized rx's in them and all i have to do is change the channel on the tx and turn on the car. no change in the trim of the servos or the direction of the servo it's all programed per car. i love it but i haven't tried any other synthesized tx's

pimpsmurf
11-17-2005, 12:35 PM
I have a novak xxxl 27mhz AM. haha.

If you want the best, I would recommend a JR DX3. I think you can use all-metal gears then because it wont cause a problem with DSM 2.4ghz.

-JNY

Hawk
11-17-2005, 04:11 PM
I can't vote because you don't list my radio.
Futaba 3PK/R203HF/9650. Digital baby. Tried Spektrum DSM and didn't like it. May try again this year.
I have three other Futabas from a 3PB - 3PJ and a JR racing XRS pro.
Love the 3PK though. :cool:

mat3833
11-17-2005, 06:20 PM
i use an mx3 and need a better receiver and i will be set.

Matt

pointcrossed
11-17-2005, 08:49 PM
Futaba 3PK/R203HF/9650. Digital baby. Tried Spektrum DSM and didn't like it. May try again this year.

Noted, Iam curious about this radio myself...

I tried looking for the 9650 and I cant find it anywhere... :(

Hawk
11-17-2005, 09:09 PM
It may not be the cheapest source of parts but they often have data on many commonly used parts. Tower Hobbies
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDTB4&P=ML

:cool:

pointcrossed
11-18-2005, 12:39 PM

OOPS I meant to put 3 PK up there, you cant put DSM on a 3PM Futaba....

plain_simple
11-19-2005, 02:00 AM
yeah.. he's right... where's my 3PK so i can vote?! :mad:

pointcrossed
11-19-2005, 10:32 AM
yeah.. he's right... where's my 3PK so i can vote?! :mad:

Sorry, I cant edit it its too late, Maybe we can dump this thread and start over.

BTW, I bought a 3PK today with HRS. :rolleyes:

BitHed
11-22-2005, 03:13 AM
...I am a throw back to the mini z so i 'grew-up' with KO gear and was using an AM EX-5 until recently...Upon recommendations from those in the know I am now the proud owner of a FUTABA 3PM FM RX and matching FM and digital electronics in the car...The 3PK is sexy but WAY out of my league...BTW my manual was ALL in Japanese and though I am VERY good I still printed out the English version from Futaba USA...The English manual is LONGER :eek: Go figure...

plain_simple
11-22-2005, 11:23 AM
Welcome to the FM world Bit. Soon you'll be geting a 3PK.. you'll see ;)

pointcrossed
11-22-2005, 11:46 AM
...I am a throw back to the mini z so i 'grew-up' with KO gear and was using an AM EX-5 until recently...Upon recommendations from those in the know I am now the proud owner of a FUTABA 3PM FM RX and matching FM and digital electronics in the car...The 3PK is sexy but WAY out of my league...BTW my manual was ALL in Japanese and though I am VERY good I still printed out the English version from Futaba USA...The English manual is LONGER :eek: Go figure...

Cool I was looking at the EX 10 but I want to get a 777 special2, unfortunately the ex10 does not have the optimal features for a gas car like the Ex10 does so I got the Futaba 3PK HRS version, my manual is all in Japanese (not even half/half and even though I am learning, it does not translate well at all(way too many complicated Kanji), so after 5 minutes or so, I gave up and printed out the english manual (book)... :D

I have been looking everywhere for the 9650 servo and I cannot find it, they are sold out like the xbox 360... Anyone know where I can get a futaba 9650 servo that is available?

BitHed
11-22-2005, 12:26 PM
...Plain i could NEVER justify getting a 3PK...My brain is maxxed out just understanding the setiings for the 3PM :eek:

...Point doncha just love the internet...I was so stealthy printing that out at work today...BTW you got mail...I will try to pick you up a 9650 on Thursday...

Ronny
11-22-2005, 08:25 PM
Noted, Iam curious about this radio myself...

I tried looking for the 9650 and I cant find it anywhere... :(

Futaba 3PK, HRS & 9650 servo this is my setup too. It's a killer, but also kills your wallet. But in my book, totally worth every cent :)

k_bojar
11-23-2005, 02:09 PM
shame my combo ain't there....M8 with DSM...

oh well....

But I might have a M11 on the way :D

plain_simple
11-24-2005, 12:18 PM
...Plain i could NEVER justify getting a 3PK...My brain is maxxed out just understanding the setiings for the 3PM :eek:

...Point doncha just love the internet...I was so stealthy printing that out at work today...BTW you got mail...I will try to pick you up a 9650 on Thursday...

Actually the menus on the 3PK are quiet easier and have several levels that you can choose from since the begginers till the expert level so you wouldnt have any problems...
I didnt got any email from you Bit :confused:you will to step in my office again lol about that 9650 let me know how much it might worth to make one flying half world here ;)

EphiDelt490
12-05-2005, 03:58 AM
Ha, I run an old school JR XR3 FM radio with novak XXL Rx. I'm picking up the JR Z1 after Christmas or sometime around then. I'll definitely have one before RC Pro starts up again next year :D.

BWY
09-04-2006, 04:26 AM
Hi guys

I'm planning on buying a new FM synthesized radio system.
Got interested in the following two:

Futaba 3PKS synthesized 75MHz:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLXS4&P=7

Futaba 3PM FS Pro synthesized 75MHz:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLZP2&P=ML

Both come with the R303FHS Synthesized Receiver that I like.
But I just want to know: what 3PKS has that 3PM FS Pro doesn't have that justify 3PKS's VERY HIGH price?
Also, I guess I can change the transmitter's frequency on 3PM FS Pro just by pushing some buttons on the front (that I find convenient) but on 3PKS, I have to use a small screwdriver to change the frequency on the FSS module. Am I right?
Thanks!

BitHed
09-04-2006, 05:05 AM
...I think you might find that the simpler sysnthesized 3PM has been discontinued for the latter model you mention :D Check at Futaba...

BWY
09-04-2006, 07:21 AM
Hi BitHed

Both 3PKS and 3PM FS Pro are the latest models:
http://www.futaba-rc.com/radios/index.html

Didn't quite get what you said... Can you clarify?

BitHed
09-04-2006, 07:23 AM
...Your numbers are correct then :o My misundertsnding...Sorry...

...I am unsure of the 'correct' name but i understood that the Futaba synthesized FM 3PM has been discontinued...

BWY
09-04-2006, 01:24 PM
That's alright! :D

So which 3PM has been discontinued??
I guess the 3PM FS with a R133F or R153F receiver?
Cos 3PM FS Pro with a R303FHS receiver should be new.

And what do you think about the two radio systems?

BitHed
09-04-2006, 03:14 PM
...I have the 'normal' 3PM that i run with a NOVAK XXL in the E-savage and with the HRS RX in the Minferno and another nameless FM RX in the dark Impact...I love the 3PM...If i was heavier user than i am now i would definately get the TX you mention :D I am a big FUTABA fan, and living in Japan I have access to pretty much get any system, except maybe the NOMADIO etc stuff...So FUTABA would be my first choice yes...

EDIT: In fact the NEW radio mention is my 3PM exactly with the addition of the snthesized parts...I would get that without hesitation...Others will disagree but TX / RX selection is like finding a pair of underpants you like...we are all different and like differrent styles but in the end they all do the same thing :cool:

BWY
09-05-2006, 03:57 AM
Quite true about the analogy between radio systems and underpants! :D
Have tried the grips of 3PK and 3PM and then some other manufacturers.
Didn't quite like the non-Futaba ones.

Bit 3PM FS's pretty reasonably priced. With that, you can save the pain of changing crystals!

BitHed
09-05-2006, 04:32 AM
...I will stick with what I have right now...As attractive as that system is though...I would still need a total of about 3 RX to complete the set anyway :eek:

BWY
09-05-2006, 07:07 AM
No you don't have to buy new receivers!
You can still use your existing receivers (with the crystals), if they are FM 75MHz... Then if you have the 3PM FS, you won't have to change the crystal on your Tx when you switch between your cars. Actually, you just need to buy the Tx. You don't need the whole set (Tx & Rx). :)

BitHed
09-05-2006, 07:38 AM
...Gotcha ;) Sounds like a great system...It would be on my shopping list if i needed to upgrade :cool:

BWY
09-27-2006, 04:54 AM
On second thoughts, now I'm thinking of getting a Spektrum DX3 system instead.

Do you guys know where to get a new Spektrum DX3 radio system cheap? Tower Hobbies hasn't got it...

Also, the Spektrum radio systems usually come with a SR3000 receiver. Are there any packages that include the much smaller SR3500?

BWY
09-27-2006, 02:28 PM
Spektrum DX3 has a new version DX3.0??
https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/seekpart.pl?src=ns&pn=SPM20300

The original DX3:
https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/seekpart.pl?src=ns&pn=SPM2030F

What are the differences between the two? Can't tell from the descriptions...
Just the case of the transmitter and the locations of the buttons?

minijosh
09-28-2006, 02:37 AM
I'm still running a M8 so I can't poll. How sad :(