PDA

View Full Version : GP 1800 Nimh Batteries

hkopium
04-03-2005, 06:30 AM
This is a silly question, but I am new to RC...

(1) I have seen this Green/Yellow color GP batteries in electronic stores
http://www.gpbatteries.com.hk/html/products/rechargeable_hydride.html

(2) Are they the same ones as I see those Red color GP batteries in RC shops?

(3) If not, what are their differences?

(4) Can the Red ones use the Green/Yellow charger for recharging?

chrille
04-03-2005, 09:27 AM
If the red one you means are Kyoshos 9.6V pack, it`s not the same. The batteries on the picture is in AA size and the ones in Kyoshos pack is 2/3A! :)

BitHed
04-03-2005, 09:49 AM
...hkopium...you want the RED ones...they are NiMH...Nickle Metal Hydrate (?) or something like that...I am not a techie so i cant explain it all but i THINK you will need a dedicated NiMH charger too...Just go with the red ones...

chrille
04-03-2005, 10:13 AM
Thats right BitHed! For ni-mh batteries you`ll need a ni-mh charger and for ni-cd batteries you`ll need a ni-cd charger! :) But there is ofcourse chargers that can handle both og them, but because of that the ni-cd batteris are on theire way out you will probebly only need a ni-mh charger! :)

lukeita
04-03-2005, 11:26 AM
Sure! NiMH batteries are better than NiCD... you need a "special" charger as the method ("delta-peak") used to detect the end of the charge is different for the two kinds of batteries... "pro" chargers (I've a Ultimate 2) can handle both NiCD and NiMH
bye

hkopium
04-03-2005, 01:03 PM
...hkopium...you want the RED ones...they are NiMH...Nickle Metal Hydrate (?) or something like that...I am not a techie so i cant explain it all but i THINK you will need a dedicated NiMH charger too...Just go with the red ones...

I just checked with GP website. Green/Yellow is also NiMH batteries.

But the Red ones are called "specialty batteries for RC", which has more kicks... however, I am not sure how much more is the kick. :D

Anyways, I couldn't find the Red ones in the nearby RC shops. So I bought some Green/Yellow 2500mah ones and they are charging now. I will tell you how they perform later.

I am going after the 8x2/3A upgrade batteries later (probably arrive in May, as told by the RC shop keepers), so I use these "regular" NiMH for now. But I am wondering if Kyosho will also release a special charger for this 8x pack since the connector is different than other batteries and no one charge has that connector in the market, as far as I know.

lukeita
04-03-2005, 04:02 PM
On Kyosho catalog I can find:

Article n° 72551 - Multicharger 1-14

http://www.kyosho.co.jp/web/download/instructionmanual/half8/pdf/30121_miniinferno_p.pdf

bye

hkopium
04-03-2005, 05:25 PM
I tested the H8 with GP 6 x 2500mah AA NiMH batteries.

The speed is much faster but only lasted 3-4 minutes. Afterward, the speed is like when I was playing with fresh Alkaline batteries.

Problem: the GP batteries are bigger in size, I cannot use the battery case cover. Removed it and inserted some rubber between the batteries and the lid to stablize them. Probably a thick rubber band is better.

Oh well, thanks Lukeita, looks like more $$$ to spend. I want my H8 fully metalized and use 9.6V cell with a better motor. :(

lukeita
04-03-2005, 05:52 PM
About the charger... maybe it will be possible to create an "adapter" to match battery pack connector and the one on your charger...
bye

SSS
04-04-2005, 11:34 AM
If you use GP "AA" batteries, make sure you cycle them at least
three times before you start to judge them. My experience is that they start performing their best even later.

(A brand new Half8 is waiting home, and i`m going to test it with some well cycled GP AA`s before anything else..)

BitHed
04-04-2005, 01:13 PM
...SSS thats SO true...3 or 4 runs through them and they settle down and run their groove...MUCH better after a few cycles than new...

...Lukeita its a good idea to match your battery packs and charger...I personally use DEANS 'ULTRA' plugs and 16 gauge wire...There are many different options but i use these and have ZERO problems...

adrenalinrush123998
04-04-2005, 01:37 PM
so the kyosho packs have a different plug?
does that mean i will have to buy a special adapter other than my current micro adapters to charge them with my peak charger?

is it a plug like like on the other micros?
or is it one like that usaually found on helicopter batts and reiciver packs?

hkopium
04-04-2005, 02:37 PM
so the kyosho packs have a different plug?
does that mean i will have to buy a special adapter other than my current micro adapters to charge them with my peak charger?

is it a plug like like on the other micros?
or is it one like that usaually found on helicopter batts and reiciver packs?

It is a unique plug. As told by shopkeeper, it is hard to find a replacement. So the best thing to do is simple replace them all to something more conventional. :)

BTW, thanks for the advice on GP batteries. :D

I also bought 8 x Sanyo 2100 batteries for testing.

BitHed
04-04-2005, 03:02 PM
...Swap to DEANS 'Ultra' plugs..internationally known, easy to fit, hard to make mistakes with, time saving, safe, can handle big currents and look sexy too...

lukeita
04-04-2005, 03:40 PM
Where can we find DEANS male and female connectors?
Thanks!

crymynal
04-04-2005, 03:59 PM
Lukeita, Here is a link for them at Tower but they are on order:

Tower Hobbies On Order (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKX39&P=7)

I've been told these work very well also:

Power Poles (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXD175)

BitHed
04-04-2005, 04:10 PM
...I think our owner, halfeight, stocks deans over at mini-zracer.com...I think Arch mentioned that a while back...I can get deans and a local clone too...FYI my batteries are red plugs and my motor is black plugs with blue wire...makes knowing who has sex with who so much easier :o

hkopium
04-04-2005, 07:05 PM
Just an advice, do NOT use GP batteries on H8 standard battery container.
Apparently the GP battery is a bit thicker and longer than normal AA battery.

I have hard time to insert and remove the GPs. Also I just found out that the GP has bend the container slightly and when I use other batteries (i.e. Sanyo) I have to use a small screw driver to "pick" the metal plates inside the container lightly in order to have a proper connection. I will use Sanyo NiMH from now on until the 8x pack arrives.

Just an advice.

ruknd
04-04-2005, 07:08 PM
Wy not jsut go get a few battery bars and start soldering your own pack?

hkopium
04-04-2005, 07:27 PM
Wy not jsut go get a few battery bars and start soldering your own pack?

Too many reasons... one is I am no good at soldering... one is I am lazy... :p