PDA

View Full Version : Kinda newbie electronics question

pimpsmurf
11-11-2005, 03:15 AM
Ok, I bought 10, 12v 5mm Wide-angle red LEDs from radioshack (4 in the store, and 6 on order.)

I'm going to use 4 of those on a custom alluminum light fixture that mounts when the anti-roll bar holder goes in the rear. The other 6 are going to light some stuff on the inside of the body, and maybe 2 or 3 on the ground. (I know, I know, I'm a rice king)

Anyway, I want to use some low-voltage white LEDs for some headlights which will mount to another custom rig on the front. I figure 4 lights up front would be killer.

Now my issue is, I can't find a voltage regulator, and I have two requirements to use them. They can't mount to the body (no problem), and they must use my battery pack.

If I put them in parallel, they will all have the same voltage, but if I put them in series, will the voltage on each of the 4 be 1/4 the total of the power source?

A 9.6V battery pack would mean 2.4v to each of the 2.5v LEDs, which would rock serious ass. Am I off my rocker? "Teach yourself electricity and electronics" has me confused on voltage spliting...

Anyone have a clue? I don't want to burn $20 in LEDs if I can avoid it...

*Cross post bitpimps/halfeight*

-JNY

DrVonHoSS
11-11-2005, 04:08 AM
Ok, I bought 10, 12v 5mm Wide-angle red LEDs from radioshack (4 in the store, and 6 on order.)

I'm going to use 4 of those on a custom alluminum light fixture that mounts when the anti-roll bar holder goes in the rear. The other 6 are going to light some stuff on the inside of the body, and maybe 2 or 3 on the ground. (I know, I know, I'm a rice king)

Anyway, I want to use some low-voltage white LEDs for some headlights which will mount to another custom rig on the front. I figure 4 lights up front would be killer.

Now my issue is, I can't find a voltage regulator, and I have two requirements to use them. They can't mount to the body (no problem), and they must use my battery pack.

If I put them in parallel, they will all have the same voltage, but if I put them in series, will the voltage on each of the 4 be 1/4 the total of the power source?

A 9.6V battery pack would mean 2.4v to each of the 2.5v LEDs, which would rock serious ass. Am I off my rocker? "Teach yourself electricity and electronics" has me confused on voltage spliting...

Anyone have a clue? I don't want to burn $20 in LEDs if I can avoid it...

*Cross post bitpimps/halfeight*

-JNY

I know the answer to this.. but I've had a few too any beers tonight to answer it. I will try and post in the morning.