PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Japan

pointcrossed
11-10-2005, 12:20 PM
Hi I just bought a Half8 this past sunday and its really nice looks just like the 1/8 inferno except for the electrics. I got some mods off the start such as bearings, 3 racing oil shocks 40 wt oil and battery pack. The 3 racing shocks are really nice because they are adjustable. I am amazed at the adjustments that can be made with this kit, it was really worth the 160 bucks. I am going to do a few more mods such as brushless setup and some drivetrain mods. Other than that I am going to find a few tracks and test this baby out. The Half8 info on this site is the best I have found.

DrVonHoSS
11-11-2005, 01:19 AM
3 racing oil shocks 40 wt oil and battery pack. The 3 racing shocks are really nice because they are adjustable.

Your gonna want 15wt oil max and 2 hole pistons.

The Half8 info on this site is the best I have found.

I agree 100%.. this site is awesome and the people are cool. Much better than One18th.com!!

pointcrossed
11-11-2005, 02:00 AM
Wow 15 wt oil, that seems very light, is that kyosho oil or other? What type of spring should I use? I am going to the Store today, are there any other mods you suggest?

DrVonHoSS
11-11-2005, 02:28 AM
Wow 15 wt oil, that seems very light, is that kyosho oil or other? What type of spring should I use? I am going to the Store today, are there any other mods you suggest?

Since I have yet to race my HALF 8 I am probably the wrong person to give advice. From what I have seen the weakest link is the drivetrain. Hopefully the new ST diffs will be better. I use Losi shock oil and may wind up changing to 10wt.. depends on how the 15wt works.

If you get a brushless motor I would suggest the AON 4900 and Mamba25 esc. I am very impressed with there performance (even though all I've done is drive around my driveway a few times). The Thunder Power 11.1v 2100mAh seems to be a great battery.. time will tell.

I will be racing this car for the 1st time Saturday night on an indoor offroad track. I hope this car does not disappoint me! From what I've heard locally.. the RC18T seems to be the best car on the new track. But like I said.. they havent seen my car run yet. :D

If you want to build the ultimate HALF 8 check out the Eclipse graphite chassis. It really turned my car into a bling-mobile and it offers even more tuning options. Its a little on the expensive side.. but it is 100% quality.

I will give a full review after I race it.

BitHed
11-11-2005, 03:07 AM
...pointcrossed mail recvd ;D Just waiting for an opportune to mail you...Where you at anyway? Kanagawa? Chiba? Saitama? I am in Saitama, about an hour out of town...Will be in town later saturday afternoon if you wanna hook up...

pimpsmurf
11-11-2005, 03:31 AM
15wt oil is much too light for me. You must be one hell of a driver! lol

-JNY

DrVonHoSS
11-11-2005, 03:41 AM
15wt oil is much too light for me. You must be one hell of a driver! lol

-JNY

LOL.. still a B mainer, but sometimes a contender in the A.

Once I get that lazer surgury for my eyes.. there all going down.

I guessing on the 15wt. I'm trying to match the suspension response to my MBX-5's. I guess we will see how it does at the track. As it sits I know it will be bottoming out over the table top. With my luck the Lipos will burst into flames.. I'll be screaming.. MARSHALL MARSHALL!! Throw a pit towel over my car and stomp!!

Hawk
11-11-2005, 04:03 AM
LOL.. still a B mainer, but sometimes a contender in the A.

Once I get that lazer surgury for my eyes.. there all going down.

I guessing on the 15wt. I'm trying to match the suspension response to my MBX-5's. I guess we will see how it does at the track. As it sits I know it will be bottoming out over the table top. With my luck the Lipos will burst into flames.. I'll be screaming.. MARSHALL MARSHALL!! Throw a pit towel over my car and stomp!!

be sure to take pictures, video would be better. :cool:

pointcrossed
11-11-2005, 01:15 PM
I am back from the hobby shop and I got a whole lot of stuff, I got my work cut out for me. I will be ordering the brushless setup soon, and I was wondering what servo would work good?

I will post pics one I have almost everything done...

pointcrossed
11-11-2005, 01:32 PM
...pointcrossed mail recvd ;D Just waiting for an opportune to mail you...Where you at anyway? Kanagawa? Chiba? Saitama? I am in Saitama, about an hour out of town...Will be in town later saturday afternoon if you wanna hook up...

I am actually in Nobi an hour away from Tokyo by toll with no traffic. Unfortunately, I am busy saturday, sunday I am free...

DrVonHoSS
11-11-2005, 01:38 PM
I am back from the hobby shop and I got a whole lot of stuff, I got my work cut out for me. I will be ordering the brushless setup soon, and I was wondering what servo would work good?

I will post pics one I have almost everything done...

Hitec HS85MG

pointcrossed
11-11-2005, 02:01 PM
I guessing on the 15wt. I'm trying to match the suspension response to my MBX-5's. I guess we will see how it does at the track. As it sits I know it will be bottoming out over the table top.

Oh so you're using lipos, not planning on using those, they are too light, and your probably not getting enough traction with the stock setup, no wonder you are using 15 Wt oil. with your setup rough track little jumps 15 wt light spring may be ok, hard packed blue groove with big jumps I would choose a heavier oil heavier spring to untuck those rear wheels quicker but without kickout. If you are still bottoming out you may need to move your shock position to the outer holes, forcing your shocks to do more work, thats my guess. Not a Newbie to this, I have been racing offroad for over 15 years now...

DrVonHoSS
11-11-2005, 02:28 PM
Oh so you're using lipos, not planning on using those, they are too light, and your probably not getting enough traction with the stock setup, no wonder you are using 15 Wt oil. with your setup rough track little jumps 15 wt light spring may be ok, hard packed blue groove with big jumps I would choose a heavier oil heavier spring to untuck those rear wheels quicker but without kickout. If you are still bottoming out you may need to move your shock position to the outer holes, forcing your shocks to do more work, thats my guess. Not a Newbie to this, I have been racing offroad for over 15 years now...

I dont know.. my lipo pack is 11.1v 2100mAh.. its a little on the heavy side for a Lipo. My car weighs 900 grams RTR.. I have all the aluminum parts.

Our track is hard packed indoor clay.. and from what I hear the jumps should be on the larger size. I'm gonna try the 15wt and take it from there.

BitHed
11-11-2005, 09:16 PM
...PointCrossed the HITEC Hoss mentions is very good or you can also go FUTABA 9650 which is ALSO a direct drop-in...I will get back to you this arvo...we could meet up in the big smoke...FINALLY another Tokyo-ite...Im pretty stoked...

pointcrossed
11-12-2005, 05:08 PM
...PointCrossed the HITEC Hoss mentions is very good or you can also go FUTABA 9650 which is ALSO a direct drop-in...I will get back to you this arvo...we could meet up in the big smoke...FINALLY another Tokyo-ite...Im pretty stoked...

Thanks for the tips, I will move my other questions to the other threads, see ya in the big smoke...