PDA

View Full Version : New Eclipse Graphite Chassis

DrVonHoSS
11-06-2005, 08:35 PM
The first batch of chassis's are done!

The chassis will allow the motor to be located in the stock position or rotated 180 degrees and be mounted towards the rear of the car (as in the photos). This is only advantageous to people using a brushless motor due to the fact that the motor will need to spin in the opposite direction. Most brushed motors have advanced timing "built in" and are not designed to run in the opposite direction.

The chassis will include a CNC milled aluminum motor "sub mount". This allows the bottom of chassis to be totally flat with ALL screws countersunk without sacrificing strength. The graphite used is super high quality QUASI-ISOTROPIC 2.5mm and was made in USA, the chassis was designed and will be built in the USA.

The upper deck and servo/personal transponder mounts will be option parts. Depending on chassis layout some people may not need an upper deck and the servo mount is nice but not 100% needed. Velcro battery mounts will also be available and custom made to the users battery type/size.

3Racing may make some great aluminum aftermarket parts.. but I guarantee they will not produce a better chassis.

The chassis will carry the name "Eclipse" and were designed for high end racers.. if you are 12 years old and just bashing around the yard this chassis may not be for you.. but if you are an experienced racer and are good with setting up a buggy.. this is the chassis you've been waiting for!

Price will be determined within the next 2 days (same with new photos). If you do not agree this chassis is the best your money will be refunded (only if the chassis was never used and in new condition within 7 days). To reserve a chassis send an email to: drvonhoss@aol.com

Only 6 chassis's were produced today and 3 are already sold (even though the buyers don't know the exact price). I assume the chassis will cost between $50 to $90 but I don't have an exact cost at this time (still waiting for the bill from the machine shop). We are not planning on making tons of cash by selling chassis's.. we are doing this to help other 1/8th scale buggy racers acheive the performance level they are looking for with the HALF8. I plan to work very closely with buyers to help them reach there racing goals and destroy the competition.

Update (11-6-05)

Five chassis's have sold and there is 1 chassis left. The price is $75 shipped and includes the main chassis and motor "sub mount". The upper deck kits should be ready by the end of the week and will be $30 shipped.

The weight of the stock chassis is 66 grams stripped, or, 96 grams with all the plastic (battery mounts, ect.). This graphite chassis weights 66 grams and eliminates all the plastic.

I see that others have started producing chassis's and I'm sure they are great.. but.. when choosing a chassis ask yourself these questions:

-Are the screws on the bottom side of the chassis countersinked?

-What method was used to countersink the motor mount and still allow motor adjustments?

-What quality carbon fiber was used?

-Was the chassis produced on a CNC mill or router?

-Does the chassis allow the user to reverse the center differential?

Here are the latest pics..
http://members.aol.com:/drvonhoss/CH1.jpg
http://members.aol.com:/drvonhoss/CH2.jpg
http://members.aol.com:/drvonhoss/CC3.jpg

plain_simple
11-06-2005, 08:52 PM
Awesome looks and great presentation on the carbon fiber Hoss... you said you would do things the way it should be and you did! Congrats! Very well done! :cool:

BitHed
11-06-2005, 08:53 PM
...Hey Hoss :o Please disregard my former post about NOT wanting one...Hawk talked me into it and arrangements have been made between you...I am now SUPREMO excited about making this chassis THE chassis for the ST :cool: Besides...you need at least ONE basher on the team ;)

EDIT: WOW!!! That many gone already? They are selling faster than it took you to make this initial post!!

Hawk
11-06-2005, 09:04 PM
...Hey Hoss :o Please disregard my former post about NOT wanting one...Hawk talked me into it and arrangements have been made between you...I am now SUPREMO excited about making this chassis THE chassis for the ST :cool: Besides...you need at least ONE basher on the team ;)

EDIT: WOW!!! That many gone already? They are selling faster than it took you to make this initial post!!

if you are 12 years old and just bashing around the yard this chassis may not be for you.. but if you are an experienced racer and are good with setting up a buggy.. this is the chassis you've been waiting for!

Bit, I don't think you are 12 years old anyway. The rest, who can say. lol :cool:

BLACKHAWK444
11-06-2005, 09:22 PM
Nice chassis hoss. I will look forward to seeing some reviews. Might have to run two chassis, yours for li-po and CFR for nimh....:)

DrVonHoSS
11-06-2005, 10:28 PM

LOL.. almost! A couple local guys fitted these new chassis on there cars and the reviews have been great. :)

I may ditch my "old" chassis in favor of these new ones.. the quality is a lot better thanks to the CNC.

And to all the people on halfEIGHT.com.. Thanks for the kind words. :)

The people on this site are a lot cooler than at one18th. :cool:

BitHed
11-06-2005, 10:33 PM
...What amazes me is how FEW holes there are :confused: I will get Hawk to make sure that everything fits ;)

DrVonHoSS
11-06-2005, 10:35 PM
...What amazes me is how FEW holes there are :confused: I will get Hawk to make sure that everything fits ;)

Yah.. I'd say Kyosho over-engineered the original chassis... it didnt need to be so complicated.

DrVonHoSS
11-06-2005, 11:33 PM
OK.. the 6 chassis are sold!

That was quick.

I will post when there are more available.. hopefully by the beginning of next week.

BLACKHAWK444
11-06-2005, 11:34 PM
Will the price eventually go down?

Hawk
11-06-2005, 11:36 PM
Will the price eventually go down?
It depends, if they turn out to be really good, they price will go up with demand. If they turn out to be umm not so good, you could probably pick one up for next to nothing. :cool:

Hey, just kidding. If this gets to be hot, I am sure they could crank out more faster at less cost. Depends on when the Mecedes payment is due.

BitHed
11-06-2005, 11:59 PM
Yah.. I'd say Kyosho over-engineered the original chassis... it didnt need to be so complicated.

...I wouldnt say they over-engineered it..They just shifted EVERYTHING from the 1:8, which works like a charm, and downsized it...THATS what creates the overkill IMO...and I have this funny feeling that if they had spent the time on 'refining' the 1:8 components to the 1:16 platform then we wouldnt have HALF the problems we do...Not that we have that many anyway...

Hawk
11-07-2005, 12:01 AM
...I wouldnt say they over-engineered it..They just shifted EVERYTHING from the 1:8, which works like a charm, and downsized it...THATS what creates the overkill IMO...and I have this funny feeling that if they had spent the time on 'refining' the 1:8 components to the 1:16 platform then we wouldnt have HALF the problems we do...Not that we have that many anyway...
'xactly. :cool:
But for their side, they tapped an already savy and loyal market, they brought it to market quickly and at the price point they needed. Sometimes they have to make money on what they are doing.

BitHed
11-07-2005, 12:08 AM
...some of the hard core users are doing some scary stuff on the MOD front...There is some great stuff out there...and even more coming...Its almost like WE are re-engineering it to fit the 'scale'...eliminating and adding where its needed...Its kinda cool to be on the front line...I am having a ball...But in ALL honesty I personally CANT WAIT for the ST...This chassis is just one more thing that will make this platform essentially bomb-proof....

...Hoss do you have some pictures of the top plates you will be doing? I have either missed them, lost them or just plain ignored them...Give me a clue :o

Hawk
11-07-2005, 12:29 AM
BitHed, wash the blood off and take a picture of the one you made. And include the lightening holes you put in your thumb too. :eek:

BitHed
11-07-2005, 12:48 AM
...DONE :D Introducing, especially for me and my NEW ST...The STiffy :cool:

STiffy's Thread (http://halfeight.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13424#post13424)

DrVonHoSS
11-07-2005, 01:59 AM
It depends, if they turn out to be really good, they price will go up with demand. If they turn out to be umm not so good, you could probably pick one up for next to nothing. :cool:

Hey, just kidding. If this gets to be hot, I am sure they could crank out more faster at less cost. Depends on when the Mecedes payment is due.

Perfect Answer!

I doubt the price will either increase or decrease. The only thing that will change is the wait time. The machine shop charges me $60 a chassis, I tack on $10 for my time (and for designing it), and $5 for shipping. The only thing that may change is anodized aluminum parts in various colors.

Custom airbrushing is what I do for extra RC cash.. its a lot more profitable and enjoyable. :) I decided to have these chassis's "mass produced" because I wanted to make them available to the local racers I will be racing against this winter... I didnt want to be accused of having an unfair advantage.

...Hoss do you have some pictures of the top plates you will be doing? I have either missed them, lost them or just plain ignored them...Give me a clue :o

Bit.. here are a couple pics. This is the upper deck from my car. The finished product may vary slightly and all aluminum parts will have a brushed aluminum finish.. not purple.

DrVonHoSS
11-07-2005, 02:00 AM
http://members.aol.com:/drvonhoss/TM1A.jpg
http://members.aol.com:/drvonhoss/TM2B.jpg

gulfclk
11-07-2005, 09:10 AM
Great work, I like people who know what they design. I made mine in the same way, fibre orientation makes the difference!

Great job ... glad to see more people know what CF and the technologie behind it is all about.

I'm supprised though you could keep the cost that low. I made 4 chassis as well, machine shop was for free, but the CF was expensive. I used 2 outer layers of 93 gr/m² plain whichs costs here almost 120 USD/m² ...

Great job ... hope you have more nice work coming ....

plain_simple
11-07-2005, 12:48 PM
Yeah... that surely looks good.. that upper deck has all that is needed and not even an inch of material is used when its not needed ;)

BitHed
11-07-2005, 12:55 PM
...yes...QUITE differnet to my STiffy ;) Man you GOTTA loev that name lol...

...Hoss has designed this very well...I dig the motor mount plate...I was trying to get CAW to mock one up for me...the same as their 540 chassis but what blew me away about Hoss's design was the 'regular' bolts in the square pattern and the 'adjustable' bolts in the diamond pattern...Absolutley uber-genius...

plain_simple
11-07-2005, 01:55 PM
Yeah, that plate is an improvement for sure :cool:
I also dig the possibility of having the rear and front motor setup available on the chassis althought i think that for everyone that use lipos the car will always have weight tweak due to the fact that theres no space to put the Rx on the left side so the only way to match the right vs left weight is to add some extra weight to the all configuration and i dont like that too much...
Butttt... for all of those that use NiMh it should be the way to go :D

Edit 1: I also dig that STiffy name you came up with :D

DrVonHoSS
11-07-2005, 11:33 PM
Great work, I like people who know what they design. I made mine in the same way, fibre orientation makes the difference!

Great job ... glad to see more people know what CF and the technologie behind it is all about.

I'm supprised though you could keep the cost that low. I made 4 chassis as well, machine shop was for free, but the CF was expensive. I used 2 outer layers of 93 gr/m² plain whichs costs here almost 120 USD/m² ...

Great job ... hope you have more nice work coming ....

This guy said all this - and he isnt even on the payroll! Thanks!! I wish the price was a little lower.. that way I could still charge $75 and make some cash!! Unfortunately the machine shop that is making the chassis is very busy.. so CNC time costs are at a premium. In my opinion the price is more than fair considering the quality... but the chassis may be out of some peoples price range. :(

The upper decks should be completed tomorrow night and 2 more chassis's should be done - but both are spoken for. :(

The good news is that I got my Mini-T almost ready to race.. wish I didn't sell that extra personal transponder I had! Oh well... heres a couple pics. The chassis, bumper, and rear sway bar were made by Eclipse also (back in early 2004). This chassis is 10mm longer than stock and helps with stability.

Just for comparision.. the HALF8 now weights 900 grams and the Mini-T is 624 grams (both cars fully loaded and RTR).

I will post when more chassis's are ready.

http://members.aol.com:/drvonhoss/M1.jpg
http://members.aol.com:/drvonhoss/M2.jpg

mat3833
11-07-2005, 11:54 PM
cool, how hard was it to design the chassis? i had designed one but i havent made it. it is the 1/15 buggy one. it seems to look ok but i cant get it made at my school, the CNCs arent working.

Matt

DrVonHoSS
11-08-2005, 12:22 AM
cool, how hard was it to design the chassis? i had designed one but i havent made it. it is the 1/15 buggy one. it seems to look ok but i cant get it made at my school, the CNCs arent working.

Matt

Matt...

Designing isn't that tough if you have the mind for it. The tough part is actually making the chassis. The first HALF8 chassis I made was done with a scroll saw, band saw, Mill (not CNC), and a belt sander. Carbon Fiber destroys everything that it touches. The carbon dust is a pain too.

Making the chassis with the tools I originally used was tough and took many many hours. If you attempt to make one just make sure the drive line is straight!! I slipped up on a MINI-T chassis last year.. the damn truck looked like a dog walking down the street with a broken ass... pathetic!

Oh yah.. have you seen Mitch?

gulfclk
11-08-2005, 05:18 AM
Matt...

Designing isn't that tough if you have the mind for it. The tough part is actually making the chassis. The first HALF8 chassis I made was done with a scroll saw, band saw, Mill (not CNC), and a belt sander. Carbon Fiber destroys everything that it touches. The carbon dust is a pain too.

Making the chassis with the tools I originally used was tough and took many many hours. If you attempt to make one just make sure the drive line is straight!! I slipped up on a MINI-T chassis last year.. the damn truck looked like a dog walking down the street with a broken ass... pathetic!

Oh yah.. have you seen Mitch?

You're right. Designing the chassis is not soo bad. The first sample in CF (handmade that is) is always a pain. You have to use diamond stuff to cut and drill it, if not ... To drill the holes, I use special kevlar drills.
What I normally do is first make the drawing and the machine program, then I machine one out of poly carbonate just to see if the dimensions, fittings, ... are OK. Then, the first CF chassis is made to test, and then the others.

The cost for your chassis? Perfectly normal. I always wonder how most people can keep chassis costs that low, but when you look at the materials used, it's clear. Not all CF but a lot of glass ...

BitHed
11-08-2005, 05:34 AM
...I just WISH i had even ONE of those tools, AND the time to do it...It took me AGES to cut STiffy, thank goodness it was only 1mm...I used some paper knives for crying out loud...and a big ass file that looked like it been used for doing elephant toenails..lol...and THATS why i have the BIGGEST respect for you guys that do this stuff and make it look so good...

...NOW i know why Hoss was saying 'I hate working with carbon..' Big nod of the hat to the guys that do this stuff, WHATEVER their opinion on how THICK something should be ;) Peace...

DrVonHoSS
11-08-2005, 05:58 AM
...I just WISH i had even ONE of those tools, AND the time to do it...It took me AGES to cut STiffy, thank goodness it was only 1mm...I used some paper knives for crying out loud...and a big ass file that looked like it been used for doing elephant toenails..lol...and THATS why i have the BIGGEST respect for you guys that do this stuff and make it look so good...

...NOW i know why Hoss was saying 'I hate working with carbon..' Big nod of the hat to the guys that do this stuff, WHATEVER their opinion on how THICK something should be ;) Peace...

A paper cutter?? I didnt even think that was possible!!

My opinion, and this is just my opinion.. is that 2.5mm is perect. But.. I think 2mm would work well if you used chassis braces. If you are milling the carbon to sink the motor mount holes you would probably need at least 3.5mm.

The motor sub-mount seems to be the way to go. Very strong and the chassis is still light weight.. best of both worlds.

Bit.. I got your email.. I am waiting for an hour of free time to reply!

BitHed
11-08-2005, 06:33 AM
...CAW has a two-piece motor mount that you fit ONCE to the chassis and then move the top piece to adjust the motor...Quite clever but timing and other projects prevented us from getting it perfectly wired...

...Yeah Hoss sorry about that mail...you got my juices going and I just couldnt stop :eek:

gulfclk
11-08-2005, 07:12 AM
A paper cutter?? I didnt even think that was possible!!

My opinion, and this is just my opinion.. is that 2.5mm is perect. But.. I think 2mm would work well if you used chassis braces. If you are milling the carbon to sink the motor mount holes you would probably need at least 3.5mm.

The motor sub-mount seems to be the way to go. Very strong and the chassis is still light weight.. best of both worlds.

Bit.. I got your email.. I am waiting for an hour of free time to reply!

Well Hoss, it USED to be a paper cutter ... RIP!

If you respect us for doing this stuff, we have to respect you for cutting CF with paper cutters, even if it was 1mm.

On the thickness ... you know my point of view. Sunk motor screws and 3.5mm thick, that's the way I went.

Bit, I still might have a spare 3.5mm chassis for you. Interested? Drop me a mail ...

plain_simple
11-08-2005, 11:41 AM
Surely takes a lot of will and sacrifice to cut a carbon fiber board with a paper cutter but BitHed is the man to do that... i use my Dremel and even with it sometimes i get in trouble so imagina how much it took to do that!

BitHed
11-08-2005, 01:20 PM
...Thanks for all the love I am getting here fellas...Its bringing tears to my dry, red, continually-slicing-carbon at 2 in the morning eyes...But its not my thread ;)

...Hoss do we get to find out who has all your chassis? Or do we have to wait until they have all been recieved by each buyer and then posted on site? Did ALL of them go to H8.com users?

DrVonHoSS
11-08-2005, 03:48 PM
...Thanks for all the love I am getting here fellas...Its bringing tears to my dry, red, continually-slicing-carbon at 2 in the morning eyes...But its not my thread ;)

...Hoss do we get to find out who has all your chassis? Or do we have to wait until they have all been recieved by each buyer and then posted on site? Did ALL of them go to H8.com users?

4 have been sold to people from this board.. and 6 more are on the waiting list.

I dont want to reveal names but anyone from this board is more than welcome to chime in.

kcobello
11-08-2005, 07:08 PM
Nice chassis Hoss.
I have raced with Hoss a couple of years and seen a lot of his work, both the CF and Airbrushed Bodies, it is some of the best around. He has also won "best of show" for airbrushed bodies at some major races we were at. You wont go wrong with his products.

"Does the brownie points knock off a few bucks if I want a chassis Hoss?" :D ;) Joking

DrVonHoSS
11-09-2005, 12:34 AM
Nice chassis Hoss.
I have raced with Hoss a couple of years and seen a lot of his work, both the CF and Airbrushed Bodies, it is some of the best around. He has also won "best of show" for airbrushed bodies at some major races we were at. You wont go wrong with his products.

"Does the brownie points knock off a few bucks if I want a chassis Hoss?" :D ;) Joking

LOL! I got a slightly blemished chassis you can have for $10 off! The chassis was accidentally "pocketed" for the diffs on the top and bottom. No big deal but I don't want to sell anything that isn't 100% perfect.. here's a pic.. and thanks for the kind words! Your HALF8 body will be done by the weekend.

http://members.aol.com:/drvonhoss/Blem1.jpg

neo
11-09-2005, 07:31 PM
Any pics of Hoss' shells and also, any news as to chassis availability?

DrVonHoSS
11-11-2005, 12:55 AM
Any pics of Hoss' shells and also, any news as to chassis availability?

Heres a link to some bodys I painted.. make sure you go though all the pages cuz I added some in the middle...
Paint (http://www.wnyrcinfo.com/site/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4074&start=0)

I should have more chassis probably by Tuesday. The good news is that I have a bunch of upper decks.

gulfclk
11-11-2005, 06:07 AM
Heres a link to some bodys I painted.. make sure you go though all the pages cuz I added some in the middle...
Paint (http://www.wnyrcinfo.com/site/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4074&start=0)

I should have more chassis probably by Tuesday. The good news is that I have a bunch of upper decks.

Let's see ... what great painters of this century do I know. Warhole, Rembrand, Picasso .... and there's that DrvonHoSS!

I hope this quote says qll!

neo
11-12-2005, 03:39 PM

:eek: WOW :eek: :cool: FANTASTIC
Can you please mail me here ( sean.thearle@googlemail.com ) with a price for the chassis and top deck including shipping to the UK.

;)

neo
11-12-2005, 06:58 PM
just out of interest, as there are'nt any holes to mount the servo bracket. how do you mount the servo?

gulfclk
11-12-2005, 07:28 PM
just out of interest, as there are'nt any holes to mount the servo bracket. how do you mount the servo?

Thank Hoss for that. That way, you can drill the holes the way YOU want them.

Hawk
11-12-2005, 09:23 PM
Received (2) chassis from Eclipse today. Quality - Excellent, finish, counter sinks, edges, all perfect.
I have built the chassis out a little just to check things out. My son, the driver wants to run it as a buggy this weekend. Maybe we will.
As I build it out and get it runable, I will post more pictures. I have a bunch of hard parts coming and these will be substituted next week. I have to order motors, esc's, wheel/tire combos (hoping for Prolines soon to compare to Kyosho's) servos, and lots of little tiny screws. + is minus as far as I am concerned. This build is just a trial run to get a feel and check location of holes. etc.
Thanks for the good job DrVonHoSS. I will be send you some more money real soon. :D
Look in the gallery for pics. under user Hawk.http://halfeight.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=540

DrVonHoSS
11-13-2005, 04:08 AM
Hawk...

Very happy to hear that the chassis's meet your specs... wait until you see the upper decks.. there beautiful.

I finally raced my race tonight.. and I was very pleased with it. I finished 2nd in the A... too bad there were only 3 cars in our race. RC18T was the most popular class and some were turning lap times as fast or faster than the HALF-8's.

My HALF 8 handled a lot like my 1/8th scale buggy and jumped great! I wound up having to basically lock my center ball diff.. other wise it would slip too much. This really effected my handling. The winner of the A was using a stock center diff and he was more hooked up. I'm not to sure what to do. I guess I will go back to the stock center diff and try to shim it tight so it wont strip.

Cant wait for those ST diffs!!

More chassis's will be ready Tuesday or Wednesday.
Upper decks are ready now.

DrVonHoSS
11-13-2005, 04:54 AM
Thank Hoss for that. That way, you can drill the holes the way YOU want them.

Exactly. Thats what I hate about these RTRs.. people are afraid to change anything. Servo tape alone will do the job... just make sure to clean both surfaces with alcohol. I made a servo/personal transponder mount.. but haven't really thought about making more. They hold the servo tight.. perfect fit for a personal transponder.. and perfect for holding the Mamba25 switch. Mounting that switch is harder than mounting the servo!

I mentioned in that last post that there was a light turnout for HALF8's at the track tonight. We have a lot more people with HALF 8s or Vendettas (when they are released) who didn't show tonight. A lot of our locals racers have been driving to Ohio to race indoor 1/8th scale.. 2.5 hours away.. too much driving for me.

Anyways.. the track was great.. very 1/8th scale like.. but half the size. The only thing missing was the blue haze in the air.. and the fact that you could "talk" to other racers during the race without yelling. Yelling at the marshalls is pretty much a thing of the past... now you can politely say "Excuse me.. marshal? will you flip my car".

I didnt take my camera.. so I have no pictures. Next week I will post some. I am trying to get the track owner to host a large race. Something like RC Madness does. Difference is.. real clay surface.. not carpet!

And in respose to a reply to a post in a different thread... The winner of the A Main was running 3Racing, 10wt oil, 2 hole pistons shocks. I was running 15 wt with 2 hole pistons and my car had a tendency to bounce. The fact that the Mamba25 and AON4900 was making the car jumpy didn't help either. When the diff didn't slip and you had perfect traction that car took off like a rocket. Next turn came up in .04 seconds and you had to jam on the brakes. Might be too much motor for this track.

Actually I do have some old pictures (last week). The track looks a lot better now. The surface is sticky clay.. very nice.. and the car stayed clean!

Track Pics (http://www.mcoers.com/nuke2/modules/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=1975)

BitHed
11-13-2005, 09:24 AM
...its like Ive been saying over and over Hoss...STOCK center in a 3R hub...works a treat...I havent done so myself yet but Regan said he was running 3000 grease in there too and that made it to its job...

...On a personal note i am SURE i am running my front ATOMIC just TOO tight...

neo
11-15-2005, 02:39 PM
Any news on the next batch of chassis and top decks? :D

DrVonHoSS
11-15-2005, 10:35 PM
Any news on the next batch of chassis and top decks? :D

The carbon fiber manufacturer forgot to ship our package! They said they will send it overnight UPS.. so hopefully by Friday some will be ready for shipment. I believe we have enough material coming to produce 12 chassis's.. 7 are already sold.

I will post as soon as I know more.

Thanks for your patience. :)

BLACKHAWK444
11-15-2005, 10:48 PM
I need one! How can I contact you?

DrVonHoSS
11-15-2005, 10:50 PM
I need one! How can I contact you?

Send me an Email: drvonhoss@aol.com

:)

BLACKHAWK444
11-15-2005, 11:29 PM
E-mail sent...

DrVonHoSS
11-16-2005, 12:19 AM
I thought I had posted these pics but I dont see them. (site admin.-let me know if there is a problem).

Here are the latest pics..

http://members.aol.com:/drvonhoss/NC1.jpg
http://members.aol.com:/drvonhoss/NC2.jpg

BitHed
11-16-2005, 12:21 AM
...Hoss how come it it so high up? Does that clear the body? It even looks higher than STiffy...And does the motor plate change the angle / contact point of the pinion?

DrVonHoSS
11-16-2005, 12:38 AM
...Hoss how come it it so high up? Does that clear the body? It even looks higher than STiffy...And does the motor plate change the angle / contact point of the pinion?

It must be an optical illusion! The upper deck easily fits under the body with ESC and receiver. The added room on the lower level is to allow you to actually use your fingers if you need to add/remove the rear drive shaft.

I don't understand the motor plate question. If you mean forward and back I don't believe it does. If you mean side to side to adjust pinions - yes. It allows larger and smaller pinions than the stock chassis allows.

One of our local guys mentioned that the stock motor mount when used with stock center diff mount just bearly fits and he had to trim the plastic mount with an exacto to fit a small pinion. I've tried to duplicate what he was talking about but everything seems to fit perfect with room to spare.

btw.. your upper deck will ship tomorrow... and if you have any ideas for improvements don't hesitate to post or email me. The goal is to create the perfect chassis for the H8 and everyone's feedback helps!

One more thing. All hardware used on this chassis is tapped to 4-40. We may change to 3mm if others think this is a good idea.

BitHed
11-16-2005, 12:45 AM
...i am metric so will use 3mm anyway...Hope thats ok...And I will be using STiffy too / as well / instead of...I have to send you STiffy..it will make you millions ;)

Hawk
11-16-2005, 12:46 AM
Bit, the motor plate is 1/8 or 3.5 mm thick (approx.) It changes the location where the motor pinion engages the spur gear. When you raise ti 1/8" the location on the arc of the spur gear pushes it away from the center line a little bit. I can't say exactly, rusty trig, shouldn't be that hard to approximate though.

I used the stock center diff housing with a 3R alloy motor mount. I put a 11t pinion (orion made for Mini T) a cm2080 motor and had to cut a notch in the edge of the motor mount just below the boss for the slipper shaft bearing. 2-3mm cut and it all worked perfectly. Thing was when I had the Hacker in the mount, it engaged just right.

Also, I am guessing the missing pieces would give you a better perspective on the top deck. It attaches at the rear to the front of the rear bulk head (I believe) so it should clear the boddy with the receiver sitting on it easily. I think it is an optical anomily.

When I get mine (ours) I will take a pic without and with the receiver mounted and esc in place. You may have a better idea from that.
It's all good. :cool:

P.S. I have to write less or faster. Two posts showed up while I was writing this. Seems a little disjoint now.

plain_simple
11-19-2005, 02:36 AM
The chassis looks better each day... i like that top plate too, nice finishing and it looks like its got that is needed... you should start a company to produce that and more ;)

pointcrossed
11-19-2005, 10:44 AM
Hmm, not a tub design, so its for street?

All The Way
11-20-2005, 07:50 PM
racing
Hoss in action on the track
http://www.mcoers.com/thedecalshack/otherimages/microftr/1021.jpg

DrVonHoSS
11-20-2005, 10:36 PM
AllTheWay..

Damn you take good pics!

Heres the deal.. I have some smokin' deals on a few items I have.

First is an AON4900, Mamba25, and Mamba Link.. only a few weeks old and barely used. $100 shipped. I paid around $175 shipped. These items are in like new condition. My H8 did 0-60 in around 3 seconds (guessing). A little too fast for the track I race at.

http://members.aol.com:/drvonhoss/AON1.jpg

Next deal is a prototype Eclipse 2mm graphite chassis with a Thunder Power 2100 mAh 11.1v pack, and Thunder Power balancer for the pack. The chassis would sell for $75, Lipo for $79, Balancer for $60. Thats around $215 dollars! I will sell for $140 shipped. The chassis is only 2 races old (I am selling it because it is set-up to use the Thunder Power pack). I almost forgot.. the chassis includes the coveted servo/personal transponder mount and also holds a Mamba switch perfect and velco battery straps. This chassis is setup to run Brushless/rear motor only.. and it handles great!!

http://members.aol.com:/drvonhoss/LIPO1.jpg
http://members.aol.com:/drvonhoss/LIPO2.jpg
http://members.aol.com:/drvonhoss/LIPO3.jpg

Email me if interested: drvonhoss@aol.com

Last but not least.. I have more chassis's ready to ship. I will be emailing the next 6 people on the list tonight.

DrVonHoSS
11-20-2005, 10:48 PM
Mamba/AON sold! that was fast!

DrVonHoSS
11-21-2005, 12:36 AM
Chassis and Lipo with balancer sold. Thanks!

If anyone was waiting for the Eclipse chassis to become available and did not receive an email please let me know.

Email: drvonhoss@aol.com

Thanks again!

DrVonHoSS
11-21-2005, 12:54 AM
The chassis looks better each day... i like that top plate too, nice finishing and it looks like its got that is needed... you should start a company to produce that and more ;)

Thats the plan. Only problem is that we are too busy making chassis's to start a website, get decals, T-Shirts, and pit boards made.. but its all part of the master plan. The T-Shirts should be ready in a few weeks.. still working on the design.

Hmm, not a tub design, so its for street?

The chassis works great on road or offroad.

tornacl90rx7
11-21-2005, 04:15 AM
Does the end-user still need to drill the holes in the chassis for the servo mounts , or is it done at the time of manufacture ??

Gregg

DrVonHoSS
11-21-2005, 10:30 AM
Does the end-user still need to drill the holes in the chassis for the servo mounts , or is it done at the time of manufacture ??

Gregg

The end user has the option of drilling there own holes or using servo tape. Servo tape really is the best method in my opinion.

DrVonHoSS
11-22-2005, 12:30 AM
Update:

I have enough chassis's to clear the waiting list with some left over.

If anyone is interested.. email me: drvonhoss@aol.com

Thanks!

pimpsmurf
11-22-2005, 12:59 AM
What about mounting battery packs? Are you using 3m Duel Lock or something similar? I just noticed I cracked my chassis this weekend at the front. I have another coming from kyoshoamerica via edshobby for now, but I'm sure I could use the rigidity of this bugger.

The only thing keeping me away from it is mounting my saddle packs. I guess I could go with duel lock, but I'm still not sure about mounting the motor at the back. *shrug* I should probably read more. lol

-JNY

DrVonHoSS
11-22-2005, 01:06 AM
What about mounting battery packs? Are you using 3m Duel Lock or something similar? I just noticed I cracked my chassis this weekend at the front. I have another coming from kyoshoamerica via edshobby for now, but I'm sure I could use the rigidity of this bugger.

The only thing keeping me away from it is mounting my saddle packs. I guess I could go with duel lock, but I'm still not sure about mounting the motor at the back. *shrug* I should probably read more. lol

-JNY

You can mount the motor in the front or the back. If you are running a brushed motor you must mount it in the front. Our local guys have just been using industrial stregth velco from home depot and it works great.

I can send some scrap graphite with a chassis if you would like to make your own battery hold downs. I'll even send the 4 aluminum posts you need (drilled and tapped).

pimpsmurf
11-22-2005, 01:17 AM
They should look into 3m Dual Lock. They have it at my Radioshack and a local electronics store (like resistor, not VCR). It holds some serious weight. I think it was 40psi or so. It's really really strong stuff. Kind of hard to separate the parts, which is why I don't like using it with lipos. But with NMHD, it would own.

I guess I'm going to have to get one of these... but it will be a while until I can pull it off.

-JNY

QuickEight
11-22-2005, 01:19 AM
The good DrVonHoss,

Got back from Florida today and there waiting in my mailbox was one grade A, pasteruized, and homoginized and totally way cool Eclipse chassis. That thing is fine looking and now I am excited about getting my H8 back on the road. My wife's H8, TarmacTerror, is now at a point she can just drive it whenever she wants. All I have to do is regular maintenance for her. Jeez, just like real life. Oh well, she helps support my Inferno habit.

Thanks for the great chassis and when I get it put together I will post some picts.

DrVonHoSS
11-22-2005, 01:46 AM
very happy to hear that you guys like the chassis. :)

BLACKHAWK444
11-22-2005, 01:57 AM
Some pics for you ;)

BLACKHAWK444
11-22-2005, 01:58 AM
another pic...

QuickEight
11-25-2005, 11:07 PM
Hoss,

What motor mount and diff housing are you using on your chassis, or any one else for that matter. I have tried a couple and they seem rather tight and do not leave much room for adjustment. Seems to me that the motor mount plate that attaches to the chassis is a tad thick for much adjustment range.

Hawk
11-25-2005, 11:50 PM
I have used the stock Kyosho ctr diff mount and the 3Racing ctr diff mount with the eclipse chassis. The stocker required that I trim some plastic near the bearing boss to allow a good clearance setting with an 11tooth pinion gear.
With the 3Racing center diff mount, there was plenty of clearance and no trimming required.
Both of these were with a 3Racing motor mount on the Eclipse submount. The Eclipse submount is the required thickness for a 3mm mounting screw to grasp. It is also a good mass for head management. It adds surface area for heat dissipation.
I don't doubt I could mount a 9tooth and 10tooth gear with no problems.

DrVonHoSS
11-26-2005, 12:56 AM
Hoss,

What motor mount and diff housing are you using on your chassis, or any one else for that matter. I have tried a couple and they seem rather tight and do not leave much room for adjustment. Seems to me that the motor mount plate that attaches to the chassis is a tad thick for much adjustment range.

I am using the 3Racing motor mount and center diff mount and the chassis was designed around those parts. Unfortunately not everyone is using after market motor mounts and diff mounts. I didn't realize the stock parts were slightly different than the 3Racing parts.

You received a chassis from the first batch made. This latest batch of chassis's were redesigned slightly.. the motor sub mount was moved 1.32mm away (for front mounting) from the center diff for more clearance. From what I understand you just need to trim a little with an exacto knife for clearance with the chassis you have. The location of the rear mount was not changed because if someone is using a graphite chassis with a brushless it is kind of assumed that the user would also be using the aluminum motor mount.

Are you mounting the motor in the front (stock) location or rear? If you would rather not trim with the exacto knife just let me know.. I'll swap out the chassis you have with a new one.

As I mentioned before.. I will do anything I can to ensure that you are running the best chassis possible! Quality and customer satisfaction is what we strive for.

We are in the process of creating a chassis specifically for racers using brushed motors and 7 cell NiMH's. I will post more when I know more. :)
The Rocket400 and 7 cells seems to be the "hot ticket" at our local offroad track. Brushless is too much!!

QuickEight
11-26-2005, 01:30 AM
I think I will return this one and get the modified chassis by you instead of me doing it myself. So, if you will send me your address I will mail it to you next week. You can send your address to my eMail address, cquick2@earthlink.net

One other question. In the OEM chassis and in the Eclipse chassis do the main drive shats sit cock-eyed in the chassis? Mine appear to not be parallel with the sides. I thought it was an optical illusion but the picture I took seems to show the same results. Will have to take another photo tomorrw as the one I took was 900kb - high resolution, a tad too large.

DrVonHoSS
11-26-2005, 01:34 AM
I think I will return this one and get the modified chassis by you instead of me doing it myself. So, if you will send me your address I will mail it to you next week. You can send your address to my eMail address, cquick2@earthlink.net

One other question. In the OEM chassis and in the Eclipse chassis do the main drive shats sit cock-eyed in the chassis? Mine appear to not be parallel with the sides. I thought it was an optical illusion but the picture I took seems to show the same results. Will have to take another photo tomorrw as the one I took was 900kb - high resolution, a tad too large.

Emailing my address now.. The center diff is slightly off center.. same as the stock chassis. I dont know why exactly.. its just the way they designed it.

QuickEight
11-26-2005, 01:39 AM
DrVonHoSS,

I thought it was weird as well and cannot imagine why Kyosho would design it that way. But we would never know what was in the mind of the original design team. Wonder if the big brother is offset as well?

I did forget to mention that I am running my motor mounted in the front, like the OEM chassis.

Thanks much for putting up with me and I want you to know that no matter what happens, it is a great chassis and the quality is outstanding and your service is second to none. :)

Hawk
11-26-2005, 01:39 AM
Dr. Maybe you should put a batch number on each chassis so it is identifiable as to which configuration it is. Like Mother boards in PCs. lol

Nearly all Kyosho chassis have the motor/trans package with weight distribution as one of the mounting criteria. If you want to move the motor inboard a hair to get a better roll axis location so the diff has to shift a bit to accomodate it. :cool:

P.S. I would have mentioned polar moment and said it the right way but I figured anybody with an MBX5 probably wouldn't get it anyway. :D

DrVonHoSS
11-26-2005, 01:56 AM
Dr. Maybe you should put a batch number on each chassis so it is identifiable as to which configuration it is. Like Mother boards in PCs. lol

Nearly all Kyosho chassis have the motor/trans package with weight distribution as one of the mounting criteria. If you want to move the motor inboard a hair to get a better roll axis location so the diff has to shift a bit to accomodate it. :cool:

P.S. I would have mentioned polar moment and said it the right way but I figured anybody with an MBX5 probably wouldn't get it anyway. :D

Well.. I know where the first 6 chassis went. The slight changes to this last batch was actually an after thought. I said to the machine shop guy.."oh by the way.. you think we could move the front motor mount a little forward?" He said no big deal and did it.

From what I've been told trimming the motor/diff mount slightly for a better fit was no big deal.. but I dont want people to have to modify there stuff when they really shouldn't have to. I promised Carl a perfect chassis.. and I always keep my word. I cant tell you how many times I have bought after market stuff and had fitting issues.. it drives me crazy! The GPM alloy linkages and front hubs both had issues.. and the Top Cad CVDs actually broke when I tightened and threadlocked them.. shame shame!

QuickEight
11-26-2005, 04:00 PM
I promised Carl a perfect chassis.. and I always keep my word. I cant tell you how many times I have bought after market stuff and had fitting issues.. it drives me crazy! The GPM alloy linkages and front hubs both had issues.. and the Top Cad CVDs actually broke when I tightened and threadlocked them.. shame shame!

And that is why I would always come back to you and buy another of your products. In this day and time it is a wonderful thing to find such real and genuine integrity in any business.

Thanks for what you have done and made available to others.

mat3833
12-05-2005, 12:03 AM
man i love this chassis..... i cant wait to get one. my opinion on the upper deck is to have one like the stiffy but 2 peice. one from the front the the center diff and one from the rear to the center diff.

Matt

Datrain
12-09-2005, 04:36 AM
Just got the eclipse chassis. A great thing. I wish I had gotten one earlier. that and the atomic top plate= no more broken steering shafts. It has tumbled, cart-wheeled, and fallen out of the sky steering works although other things have broken.

I think I am obsessed with this thing. I added up the cost of my hopped-up inferno and it totaled over $1k without the spare parts. I was able to build a third MI with the abandoned parts. Dr will be sending me some other stuff and I will start on another project. I will also be getting a pitbull chassis 4 the 1/2 stock basher.

Hawk
12-09-2005, 11:51 PM
I have my Buggy about 80% complete on the Eclipse chassis. Some critical parts changed to aftermarket but mostly stock key components.
I am in the process of changing over to 10-9 and 12-9 hex head cap screws in most locations. It is hard to find a wide variety of screws in 2mm and 2.5mm in those grades. I have found a source and will try an put together a complete list of screws needed to convert to all hex heads.

I put these pics and another pic in the gallery that are much larger.

mat3833
12-09-2005, 11:59 PM
looks good hawk. lets see it done and going 50 in a vid. lol

Matt

BitHed
12-10-2005, 12:52 AM
...hmm...Hawk nice STiffy top plate mate ;)

Datrain
12-10-2005, 01:26 AM
Hawk
where did u get that top plate?

Hawk
12-10-2005, 01:45 AM
Hawk
where did u get that top plate?
I took a 4'x8' sheet of carbon fiber and ripped off all of it that wasn't the top deck I wanted. :cool:
Seriously I made it by hand with Dremel and BitHed screaming at me through emails. I used Dragon Plate that is CF with aircraft birch sheet inside. It is lighter and just as strong as CF in the same dimensions.
I will be making CF top decks for PitBulls soon. It will be made of .041" (hair over 1mm or half a hair) CF plate. It will replace the steering plate in front and go back to the rear bulkhead. I am looking at making it two piece to allow for adjustment in the rear.
This configuration gives you maximum room for electronics on top and batteries on the side or sides depending on if it is front or rear engine.
I chose rear engine and United RC X71s pack seven cell nimh for racing. I also have a 2100mAh 3cell LiPo to use for running around the neighborhood.

bcuzau
12-10-2005, 11:33 AM
Hawk,

Very nice set-up you got!.. The way you mounted the batteries with velcro, how is the velcro attached to the car? I see a little bit of aluminum?

Hawk
12-11-2005, 04:40 AM
Hawk,

Very nice set-up you got!.. The way you mounted the batteries with velcro, how is the velcro attached to the car? I see a little bit of aluminum?
I was clever enough to buy DrVonHoss personal chassis that had one time only battery mounting system worked out with a thread on this board. Four alum. plates milled so that a pin is inserted in the recess. velcro straps are sewn in on one side and looped through the other. There is enought loop to put a 2100mAh 3cell LiPo or in the pics. I posted, tightened to hold a URC 7Cell GP1100 nimh pack. I think it is a one off arrangement, the Dr. could verify. :cool:

BitHed
12-11-2005, 04:45 AM
....yes and no...i have the original 'samples' :rolleyes: I think...

Hawk
12-11-2005, 05:18 AM
....yes and no...i have the original 'samples' :rolleyes: I think...
See, you learn something everyday. :cool:

DrVonHoSS
12-11-2005, 05:37 AM
I think it is a one off arrangement, the Dr. could verify. :cool:

That is a one off. The battery straps actually take a lot of time to make. They cost around $1 in material.. but could easily take 2 hours to make.

The strap mounts (theres 4) are just a pain to make.. a lot of drilling and tapping of small parts.. fitting the rod in the center.. just a big pain.

And the velcro straps themselves are hand sewn and working with needles isnt really my thing. Most of you guys could make your own. It would take a lot of work and a lot of time.. but they worked great.

DrVonHoSS
12-20-2005, 01:19 AM
There are only 2 chassis's remaining. I plan on switching to a new machine shop soon so production will cease until this happens. Once I have located a new shop production will be faster and new parts will be designed. So.. if you want an Eclipse chassis you better hurry because they will be "out of stock" for at least a month.. maybe longer. I am spending a large amount of my time painting bodies. I need to find a shop that works cheaper and can keep up with demand... I would love to lower the price to $50 but I just cant do that at this point. This new machine shop must match the quality of the place I have been going though and do it at a cheaper price. It may not be easy to switch.. I guess we'll see.

I have recieved almost all positive feedback about the chassis's that have been sold. I am happy to hear that everyone is pleased. It has turned my HALF-8 from a toy to a race machine. Like I mentioned before.. I paid $60 for my chassis.. and I think it was worth every penny and then some. I am very excited about the performance I am getting from my HALF-8. I can easily beat vendettas (except last week.. :) )

Anyways.. I'm done typing finally. Check out the website. I hope to make Eclipse huge.. and this would be nice seeing as how all parts are made in China these days. My goal is quality.. not a cheap price. A cheap price is nice.. but it wont win the A Main. OK.. now I'm done for real.

Check out the webite.. EclipseRC.com

Hikari no Tenshi
12-31-2005, 11:36 PM
VonHoss,
Can I use the stock chassis plastics with the Eclipse chassis? I know they aren't necessary, but I kind of like the more crowded layout of the stock chassis. Basically i'm looking to drop weight, but keep the chassis easily identifiable. I'm also adding a lot of other CF pieces to the buggy, so this would be a nice addition over plastic.

BitHed
12-31-2005, 11:47 PM
...Hikari I know he has ONE V.1 left...That might have you name on it ;) Mail him directly might be your fastest bet...

Hikari no Tenshi
01-01-2006, 12:06 AM
I went ahead and sent an email. Feel free to disregard my second question, I hadn't fully explored the site yet.

leapingbug
02-09-2006, 03:08 AM
So DOC did ya make any new chasis yet :D
and will you be starting a presale list yet (put me on it) :D
Thanks

DrVonHoSS
02-20-2006, 01:40 AM
So DOC did ya make any new chasis yet :D
and will you be starting a presale list yet (put me on it) :D
Thanks

No new chassis yet. I will post as soon as I get some.

bermbuster
02-20-2006, 01:43 AM
I got all excited........thought you had a new chassis out.......
btw the body you have on ebay (red flames/w checkers) is awesome

DrVonHoSS
02-21-2006, 12:06 AM
I got all excited........thought you had a new chassis out.......
btw the body you have on ebay (red flames/w checkers) is awesome

The HALF8 chassis situation sucks. I have 2 chassis's with no motor sub mounts. I was at the machine shop today to get some MBX5 parts made (100 of them!).. but no new word on HALF8 chassis's. I hope to have at least 2 more available in the next couple weeks. I will post here when they are ready. It will be first come first served.

Thanks about the body.. I've been getting better! :) Last HALF8 body I sold on Ebay went for $73! Thats crazy! I currently have 3 clear HALF8 bodies ready for paint.. $45 plus shipping if anyone is interested.. only problem is there is a 2 week wait. Business has been good! :)

tech25
02-24-2006, 04:13 AM
Just wanted to let you know that i will be a buyer for on if those chassis, i will even be willing to pay before stock. let me know and how much

pimpsmurf
02-24-2006, 04:11 PM
Good to hear!

-JNY

TamiyaBF
02-26-2006, 10:38 PM
Holy Cow , I havent been to H8.com in about a year and when I return , I see that THE GREAT Dr. Von Hoss is here slinging his Eclipse parts.

I still have my Eclipse racing mini-t , bad boy has everything you ever sold for the mini-t bolted on. Turned the T into a true beast.

Eclipse racing parts are NO JOKE.

hrtln
03-13-2006, 02:31 PM
Could I be next in line to get one of your carbon chassis?
Thanks........... :)

DrVonHoSS
03-14-2006, 12:09 AM
Sorry I have not been on the HALF8 board much lately.. been too busy painting!

Anyways.. I got 2 more chassis's but both are already sold. I am trying to gauge how many people are interested. If you are looking for an Eclipse chassis please email me at: drvonhoss@aol.com. I am hoping to get more in the next couple weeks. Price is $75 plus $5 shipping.

By the way.. a HALF-8 with an Eclipse chassis won the enduro race at Full Throttle Raceway this past weekend. It was a 1 hour race and included mostly RC18T's and Vendettas. The Eclipse HALF-8 was the only HALF-8 entry and was easily won by a couple of our sponsored guys (Chuck Leone and Dan Black).

http://members.aol.com:/drvonhoss/031306D.jpg

C-LOW74
03-14-2006, 12:35 AM
what's up doc?

the chassis rocks! we were untouchable out there on the track and kept it that way for an hour long too :) the car held together great and the chassis alone made a hell of a difference in the car!! it felt like i was driving my sp2 out there :) :) :) talk to ya soon, chuck leone

TEAM KYOSHO

777 Lover
03-17-2006, 05:03 PM
Damn i want that chassis, DOC i E-mailed you.....Ivan!

over_powered_rookie
03-21-2006, 03:46 PM
any idea on weight for these chassis? i didnt go through all 11 pages,so maybe it was posted...but what is the weight with the motor mount plate and a top plate if there is one?

FHM101
03-22-2006, 07:22 AM
Put me down in the interested column, or the very interested column if there is one.

kaizendave
03-27-2006, 04:53 AM
DOC,

I emailed you last week on getting a Eclipse chassis. Just confirm I can get one and I will send you a confirmation through PayPal

Dave

DrVonHoSS
04-01-2006, 02:31 AM
Unforunetly I don't expect to get any EclipseRC chassis's anytime soon.

But... the good news is that I will have a bunch of HALF-8 rims and Proline Crime Fighters listed on EclipseRC.com soon at deeply discounted prices.

bol2rire
04-10-2006, 04:35 AM
Hello DrVonHoss,

Please do something! After going through that thread and comparing with other solutions, I'm too excited. Do you have any idea when you gonna have some more (I know not soon, but any plan?).

If there is anybody else that has one for sale, even used (in good shape naturally), please let me know! bol2rire@hotmail.fr

aaaaaarrrgggg that looks good! I want to get rid of all the mess on that chassis.

Just one question: Is there any need of top deck (front to rear) or is it stiff enough without?

Thanks

DrVonHoSS
04-10-2006, 10:29 PM
Hello DrVonHoss,

Please do something! After going through that thread and comparing with other solutions, I'm too excited. Do you have any idea when you gonna have some more (I know not soon, but any plan?).

If there is anybody else that has one for sale, even used (in good shape naturally), please let me know! bol2rire@hotmail.fr

aaaaaarrrgggg that looks good! I want to get rid of all the mess on that chassis.

Just one question: Is there any need of top deck (front to rear) or is it stiff enough without?

Thanks

I'm as upset about it as everyone else. The chassis is a great design and really turned my HALF-8 into a race machine.

I have no plans to find a new manufacturer. I am afraid the HALF-8 market will take a dive since summer is coming and most people will be racing offroad nitro. This is the reason I have not locked in with a new machine shop - not to mention I have been very busy painting and designing MBX-5 parts.

As it stands.. I could probably sell 50 chassis's in 1 week if I had them. Problem is.. most machine shops I have approached asked how many thousand I'm looking for. 100 would be nice.. but 5,000?? I think I would get stuck with around 4900 left overs.

Some local guys have the Eclipse chassis and some may want to sell them (since summer is almost here and they will not be needing them). I can ask around.

The upper deck was a money loser from day 1. I was selling them for $35 each and even though the material was only maybe $5.. they took a very long time to make. The chassis does not need the upper deck.. but they definitely added to the bling factor. I would also like to mention that the Eclipse chassis is 100 times better then any GPM POS chassis... just as I predicted many months ago.

Ask around.. I would say that 50 Eclipse HALF-8 chassis's were sold and maybe 15 upper decks. People have them.. you just have to find them and make an offer.

Good luck.

leapingbug
04-10-2006, 11:05 PM
:eek: So you meen i got one of the last ones made AND I GAVE IT TO MY BROTHER FOR HIS BIRTHDAY damn TECH 25 youd better apprecaite it :(

gilliam
04-14-2006, 11:20 AM
can you email me a price to uk for chassie and top deck

dgilliam@hotmail.co.uk

Team Girth
04-14-2006, 08:37 PM
why does the motor have to be on the other side for a brushless????

hrtln
04-14-2006, 08:52 PM
It doesn't.

bol2rire
04-15-2006, 09:49 PM
Hello,

after looking at that thread many time and being mad for not getting an Eclipse chassis I decided to do something myself.

I bought a carbon sheet in 2.3 millimeter and a Dremel tool. I didn't know what to expect of that tool on carbon...but it's really easy to use with this material! As the chassis was a little too complex for a project made with a ruler and a dremel, I did a top plate. I think it's a god compromise: you get a real stiff car and a cleaner chassis, for real cheap. All lines are not perfect, but the holes are in the good spots so the car is perfect.

I really like my little Inferno now. I never messed with home-made parts before, and I'm happy with the result. It's really my own!

Thanks for giving the idea guys...

Here are the pics of the result: http://halfeight.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=737&cat=500&page=1

mat3833
04-15-2006, 10:40 PM
hey could you make one of those for me?? without the skull and crossbones, im thinking 1.5- 2 mm thick. ill pay for shipping and all

Matt

deoding
04-16-2006, 12:16 AM
Where to buy some carbon fiber sheet? also how to counter sink the hole for screws? Thanks.

mat3833
04-16-2006, 12:51 AM
ebay has CF sheet, use a countersinking bit

Matt

deoding
04-16-2006, 02:49 PM
Thanks for info.

mat3833
04-17-2006, 10:29 PM
youre welcome

Matt

bol2rire
04-19-2006, 12:21 AM
Hi mat 3833,

I have the first model I did. It's a bit wider in the back, I made the mistake of puting the glowing side at the bottom and I've drilled three holes along (two to snap electric cables, one that allow to put a screw to the center diff). As I said before, I cut it with a dremel so the lines are not perfect and it looks homemade. But it fits right on my Mini Inferno and does the job perfectly. With that I have a straight battery holder. See the pic attached.

The material used is carbon fiber laminate in 2.38 mm, and there is a layer of birch plywood in the middle (same as the last one I did, it's tough).

I would say 15 bucks shipped (the price of the material)..what do you think?

PS: I could do one or two more if people ask, I like to do them, but I would ask something for the work+material+shipping (I guess something like 25 bucks total).

mat3833
04-19-2006, 12:48 AM
email me at matt_newbern@yahoo.com so we can talk shipping

Matt

DrVonHoSS
04-19-2006, 02:34 AM
Good news....

I am hoping to have more EclipseRC HALF-8 chassis's available in a couple weeks.

I will post more info as soon as I know more.

over_powered_rookie
04-19-2006, 09:45 AM
put me down for 2 please

joeling
04-19-2006, 02:13 PM
Hi Doc,

I emailed you earlier. Just to repeat again. I would like to purchase 1 chassis. Please advise total inclusive of shipping using EMS courier to Malaysia. Thanks !

Regards,
Joe Ling
Malaysia

gilliam
04-19-2006, 08:04 PM
put me down for one shipped to the good old uk woo!!! :)

afonsos
04-19-2006, 09:04 PM
Put 1 in the queue to Portugal.USPS prefered.

plain_simple
04-20-2006, 03:23 PM
Eheheheh another tuga on this site... how cool is that?! :D
welcome Afonsos.. cya in the e-modelismo.com ;)

afonsos
04-22-2006, 12:28 PM
:) Tugas are like our ancient mariners they go everywhere.
Glad to see in your sign that Team LS sponsors you,Simões is a cool dude,havent seen him coz Ive quit onroad racing.

Now just to be ontopic I want one of those Docs eclipse badly :D

DrVonHoSS
04-22-2006, 03:04 PM
Heres the update.

The autocad drawings have been sent to a new machine shop. I should know more by the middle of the week.

tech25
04-23-2006, 04:21 AM
Great. Iam an owner of one of you chassis and love it so much i buying another one. :)

tech25
04-25-2006, 11:57 AM
look at this VON http://www.one18th.com/GetGallery10179.htm

DrVonHoSS
05-04-2006, 01:22 AM
Very nice! :)

gilliam
05-04-2006, 08:48 PM
When Are U Expecting them in ???

Jaymz
05-07-2006, 07:22 AM
Hey just wondering when you will have some of these as i need a replacement for my stock plastic chassis on my ST... how much for one of these and for express postage to Brisbane, Australia 4502 ???? Thanx...

DrVonHoSS
05-07-2006, 12:23 PM
Hey just wondering when you will have some of these as i need a replacement for my stock plastic chassis on my ST... how much for one of these and for express postage to Brisbane, Australia 4502 ???? Thanx...

The price will be $89 plus shipping. I am hoping for some good news this week. The CAD drawings where sent to a new machine shop and they are in the process of producing a quote.

As far as EMS to Australia.. my guess would be around $20.. but that's only a guess.

I will keep you guys posted!

tech25
05-08-2006, 03:27 AM
Just wanted to give an update on the chasis. So ive had the chassis almost 30 days and let me tell you this thing is strong. Before i had this the adjustments i made to the car felt flate. After installing it the car acts great to the adjustments. If you have a half-8 let this be the first thing you buy. :D

DrVonHoSS
05-12-2006, 10:29 PM
Just wanted to give an update on the chasis. So ive had the chassis almost 30 days and let me tell you this thing is strong. Before i had this the adjustments i made to the car felt flate. After installing it the car acts great to the adjustments. If you have a half-8 let this be the first thing you buy. :D

Very glad to hear you like your chassis. As I have said before.. the EclipseRC chassis isn't cheap.. but it's worth every penny. I just wish I had some to sell!

I have one machine shop working on a quote and will probably be meeting with another machine shop tomorrow because they are taking too long!

I will be posting on this site and on EclipseRC.com as soon as more are available. There is no pre-order list. It will be a first come - first served situation.

Sorry for the delay.. but trust me.. no one wants to see more chassis's made more than I do!!

Stay tuned!!

rustler08
05-17-2006, 03:05 AM
Dr, when you getting them in again?

DrVonHoSS
05-17-2006, 03:29 AM
Dr, when you getting them in again?

Very soon I hope.. I think I found a new machine shop. Only problem is that the 1st new batch will only be around 10 chassis's. Then another 20 in the following 2-3 weeks.

I will post here when they are ready. :)

joeling
05-17-2006, 04:27 AM
Hi Doc,

me me me ! Eventhough I already bought a pitbull, I still want one. Can I pre order just in case so not to miss out ?

Regards,
Joe Ling
Malaysia

rustler08
05-18-2006, 12:42 AM
Very glad to hear you like your chassis. As I have said before.. the EclipseRC chassis isn't cheap.. but it's worth every penny. I just wish I had some to sell!

I have one machine shop working on a quote and will probably be meeting with another machine shop tomorrow because they are taking too long!

I will be posting on this site and on EclipseRC.com as soon as more are available. There is no pre-order list. It will be a first come - first served situation.
Sorry for the delay.. but trust me.. no one wants to see more chassis's made more than I do!!

Stay tuned!!

*cough* *cough*

DrVonHoSS
05-18-2006, 07:39 PM
Just an update..

I have spoken and finalized a deal with a new machine shop. The motor mounts are being made at one shop, the carbon fiber at another shop, and the vinyl guy is going to make the decals this week.

I figure 10 more chassis's will be ready in about a week. 1 is already sold.

I know this sounds rediculous.. but.. I will post when they are ready. Then anyone who is interested email me and ask for a paypal invoice. I figure this is the best way to distribute them.

Also... upper decks should be available within a few weeks.

mat3833
05-18-2006, 10:29 PM
any pics of the top plate? im looking for one at the moment.

Matt

DrVonHoSS
05-19-2006, 10:42 PM
any pics of the top plate? im looking for one at the moment.

Matt

These are old pictures. The aluminum on the upper deck will be silver in color and the velcro straps are not included with the chassis.

Anyone who is new to the EclipseRC chassis for the HALF-8; please read the original post. The only changes will be EclipseRC vinyl graphics on the sides of the chassis and the price will be $89 plus $4 shipped anywhere. I still do not know the cost of the upper decks. Also.. all hardware used will be 3mm.. no more 4-40.

The photos show the chassis with the upper deck. The upper deck is not included with the chassis. The upper deck is not needed to use the chassis, but definitely is nice to have.
http://members.aol.com:/drvonhoss/NC3.jpg
http://members.aol.com:/drvonhoss/N2.jpg

Pictured below is what the next batch of chassis's will look like.

http://members.aol.com:/drvonhoss/EC1.jpg

deoding
05-19-2006, 11:32 PM
So you replace all 2.6mm stock screws with 3mm screws? If so, I guess the 3mm screw may squeeze into the holes in plastic parts, but how about those aluminum hop up parts? They were designed for 2.6mm, right? Will they fit your 3mm screw chassis.

Another question, is 4-40 screw equivalent to 2.6mm stock? Will it be a little lose, since 4/40 inch =2.45mm?

Thanks.

deoding

BitHed
05-19-2006, 11:46 PM
...wise choice on 3mm Hoss ;) The world loves 3mm :D

DrVonHoSS
05-20-2006, 12:16 AM
So you replace all 2.6mm stock screws with 3mm screws? If so, I guess the 3mm screw may squeeze into the holes in plastic parts, but how about those aluminum hop up parts? They were designed for 2.6mm, right? Will they fit your 3mm screw chassis.

Another question, is 4-40 screw equivalent to 2.6mm stock? Will it be a little lose, since 4/40 inch =2.45mm?

Thanks.

deoding

ahhh.. sorry for the confusion.

The prior batches of Eclipse chassis's used 4-40 screws for the motor sub mount. The next batch will be 3mm and are included. You would use all the original screws that come with the buggy.. no need to change. The 3mm screws I was refering to only apply to the motor sub mount.

...wise choice on 3mm Hoss ;) The world loves 3mm :D

Bit!! Where have you been??!??!

I live in the US and we use the "standard" method for measuring.. but I prefer metric personally.

deoding
05-20-2006, 04:13 AM
Thanks for pointing out.

DrVonHoSS
05-22-2006, 10:13 PM
Well.. I have good news and bad news.

The good news is that the new machine shop has all the materials to produce 9 chassis's.

The bad news is that they will take approximately 3-4 weeks to complete. I am hoping it is much sooner.

At this time I will accept pre-orders. This is how this will work. The total price is $89 plus $4 shipping to anywhere in the world. Anyone who is interested should send an email to drvonhoss@aol.com requesting a paypal invoice. The cost to be added to the list is $20. Once the chassis's are completed you will receive another invoice for $73. At that time the chassis's will be shipped out. If for some reason I am unable to produce the chassis's within 5 weeks the $20 deposit will be refunded.

3 chassis's are already spoken for.. so that leaves 6 available. Once this batch is complete I will definitely consider having another 18 made. It all depends on demand.

I honestly had no intentions of having more Eclipse Chassis's made.. but since I get at least one email a day from someone requesting a chassis.. I feel I owe it to the HALF-8 guys to have more made. Due to the high cost of quality carbon fiber and machine shop time.. I'm still barely making any money. I am doing this because I believe the Eclipse Chassis is the best and racers looking to "max out" the performance of their buggy deserve this chassis.

If you are new to the whole Eclipse Chassis thing please read my original post.

DrVonHoSS
05-28-2006, 08:18 PM
Almost sold-out! Reserve one before it's too late.

This will be the last batch produced. I am gearing up for the new Losi 1/8th scale buggy.

habitforming
06-02-2006, 09:20 PM
If anyone out there is currently using this chassis for bashing, how is it's durability? Any casualties?

I'd hate to spend $90 on a chassis only to break it on the first bad landing :(

DrVonHoSS: Please don't take this as a stab at your product. It definately looks top-notch and I'm very tempted. I just tend to be a little hard on things from time to time, and I want to make sure I'm not throwing away $93.

EDIT: I have another question: Would you sell any chassis without the top plate, or better, with a blank piece of carbon so I can make my own? I would prefer to have one that runs the length of the body and adds strength, rather than just a pedestal for the electronics.

mat3833
06-02-2006, 10:25 PM
dude you dont have to worry about breaking it. ive launched my H8 off of a 4 foot kicker with a 18 ft gap to the landing and cased it. all that happened was a thud and a little hop. if you break it you have some serious issues! you want to but one.

Matt

DrVonHoSS
06-03-2006, 03:17 AM
I would have to agree with Matt.. I'm pretty sure your HALF-8 could get run over by a dump truck and the Eclipse chassis would survive.

Its super strong and lightweight. We do not use cheap carbon fiber.. only the best is used. This chassis was designed for racing... but I'm sure it can take any type of bashing you throw at it. If anyone has broken an Eclipse chassis.. please speak now... I don't even think its possible.

The chassis does not come with an uppper deck. You can reuse the original setup with a little drilling. Remember.. this chassis isn't for someone with 10 thumbs.. it is designed to allow the user to setup their HALF-8 the way they want to set it up.. the options are endless.

They should be ready in 2 weeks, and I have 2 that have not been spoken for.

mat3833
06-03-2006, 09:21 PM
hey hoss, have you ever made a top plate that goes front to back?? thats what i want right now. do you have any 1.5 mm carbon sheet?? i could pay you to lay it out on the sheet and send it to me so i can cut it out.

Matt

Migs
06-03-2006, 09:24 PM
hey hoss, have you ever made a top plate that goes front to back?? thats what i want right now. do you have any 1.5 mm carbon sheet?? i could pay you to lay it out on the sheet and send it to me so i can cut it out.

Matt

I'd be interested in something like that as well.... you read my mind :)

mat3833
06-03-2006, 09:30 PM
lol i cant drive until i get one....

Matt

Migs
06-03-2006, 09:32 PM
lol i cant drive until i get one....

Matt

How come....? I don't undersand... please explain....

mat3833
06-04-2006, 12:07 AM
im running the chassis in the stock confuguration with the saddle packs. i dont have a place to mount the antenna and i dont like the idea of having my electronics mounted on top of my batterys. im just going to continue to wait for a top plate before i drive. ive driven the eclipse about 4 times before the stock top plate broke at the back mount.... that was about 4 months ago. when i had the money for one noone had one to sell and when they had one i had no money.

Matt

H8er
09-21-2006, 11:26 PM
Anyone have one?

Migs
09-21-2006, 11:40 PM
Anyone have one?

I've got one that I'm getting ready to sell... just haven't had time to take pics or post it. It's brand new, never used. Even has the rare top plate that only a limited number were made. Haven't decided how much I want to sell it for yet. It'll be more expensive than the Xtreme chassis though. If anyone is interested, feel free to contact me directly through my profile here in the forum.

Thanks

Migs
09-27-2006, 05:25 PM
Eclipse RC carbon fiber chassis

http://halfeight.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2391

DrVonHoSS
09-29-2006, 11:04 PM
LOL....

I see the EclipseRC chassis's are still in use.

Anyone looking to seriously improve their HALF-8? I would purchase that chassis if I were you. They are permanently discontinued... not to mention that it comes with the upper deck. Only 20-25 upper decks were made.

Anyone manage to break one yet? Just curious.

My HALF-8 has been sitting on the bench for months now.. word on the street is that Proline is discontinuing the crowd pleazer body for the HALF-8.. I have no idea why. It was a great body. I might have located a few clear ones but don't have them yet.

I currently have 3 clear HALF-8 (Kyosho) bodies.. $45 custom painted (body included) plus shipping.

Check EclipseRC.com for more info.

Long live the HALF-8!! The most expensive RC car I own.. and its only 1/16th scale.. crazy!!

CSracing
12-24-2006, 06:02 PM
It may be asked before, but.
Is it for buggy or can I use it with ST too?
I`m newbie and I don`t know, are the chassis same shape.

Migs
12-24-2006, 09:41 PM
It may be asked before, but.
Is it for buggy or can I use it with ST too?
I`m newbie and I don`t know, are the chassis same shape.

The EclipseRC chassis is no longer being made. You may be able to find a used one out there somewhere. It works with either the buggy or ST body. There are other companies that make carbon fiber chassis's for the Mini Inferno... Xtreme Racing, KMRC, Holeshot, and CAW for the aluminum chassis.

DrVonHoSS
01-31-2008, 12:30 AM
Anyone still running this chassis? I would love to hear about how the held up.

Joan
02-27-2008, 11:21 AM
Yeah, I'm running with that!!!