PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Chassis

Randelstevens
11-05-2005, 05:34 PM
We have 17 Black 2mm carbon chassis only for sale for 75 dollars shipped. Please email me direct to purchase or for mor information.

Randel
stevens_randel@yahoo.com

pimpsmurf
11-05-2005, 07:29 PM
Those screw holes don't look countersunk. Is that right? Seems like a great investment, but the motor mount area doesn't appear to be countersunk either. :(

-JNY

Randelstevens
11-05-2005, 07:41 PM
he is running the currnet version of the chassis

Hear is the feedback we received:
Hey Randel,
Installed the carbon fiber chassis a few days ago, and it looked great! Every drill hole and countersink were spot on, so I had no trouble getting the parts screwed onto your chassis. There was no flex, so the Mini Inferno's handling improved; its flight was very even during jumps, and the chassis was also really light compared to stock.
Don't know what else to describe, but all aspects of your chassis were perfect.

Can you please suggest some care and maintenance tips for your Carbon Fiber chassis?

Thanks Randel, for the great product you've given me. (sorry if this feedback is insufficient)
Khue Dao

If you have any info or feedback please let us know and corrent any problem we are aware of.

thanks for the post

randel

pimpsmurf
11-05-2005, 07:58 PM
Alright, so I guess the picture "just chassis" is old then. So the motor mount screw holes are counter sunk slotted also?

Thanks,
-JNY

Randelstevens
11-05-2005, 11:21 PM
No, we have been running them just flat, the cost to have them countersunk is to high at this time. If the volume of units gets high enouph we could do it, but we are not shure if only 1 mm of carbon holding the motor is the best way to go at this time.

gulfclk
11-06-2005, 06:02 AM
2mm thick seems very thin to me. I made mine 3.5mm thick so I can leave the upper decks away.

bcuzau
11-06-2005, 07:45 AM
Hey Randel,

there seems to be some yellow fibers crossing each other.. Is that just the image or Kevlar maybe? Very nice chassis, I want one.. but I won't be able to get one right at the moment, maybe later.. $75.00 shipped anywhere?

Randelstevens
11-06-2005, 01:03 PM
good for you!

BitHed
11-06-2005, 01:18 PM
...Pimpsmurf I have this chassis and the mounting bolts being non-sunk is no big deal...be nicer if they WERE but it also would get quite thin as Randel suggests...Its good having that tiny little moore meat for them to hang onto...

Smoothound
11-06-2005, 05:58 PM
2mm thick seems very thin to me. I made mine 3.5mm thick so I can leave the upper decks away.

I have to say I think I'd want mine a bit thicker than 2mm. I'd rather have 3 or 3.5 with cutouts than straight 2mm.

Smoothound
11-06-2005, 06:01 PM
No, we have been running them just flat, the cost to have them countersunk is to high at this time. If the volume of units gets high enouph we could do it, but we are not shure if only 1 mm of carbon holding the motor is the best way to go at this time.

I can't see that cost comes into it at all?

I think your second point is valid but feel that it is only valid because the chassis is too thin in the first place?

Randelstevens
11-07-2005, 12:58 AM
we all run 1 mm chassis and will never require anymore, we only made the 2mm cuz ppl have not done the testing we have. We stopped at 2.5mm cuz it was just a wast, but you can decide for yourself.

gulfclk
11-07-2005, 01:30 AM
we all run 1 mm chassis and will never require anymore, we only made the 2mm cuz ppl have not done the testing we have. We stopped at 2.5mm cuz it was just a wast, but you can decide for yourself.

From my experience in chassis and composites, I'm sure 2mm is too thin. Unless you use CF quality T1000 or so and cured in an autoclave. The normal commercial CF is nothing like a T1000, so with 2mm, to have at least a bit of stiffness, you would need to use a 93 gram/mē twill or so on the outer layers to keep everything together and some unidirectional weave in between. Front to back stifness would be more or less OK then, but tweak would be horrible.

IMO, you'll need 3 to 3.5 mm. I made mine 3.5mm with unidirectional layers in the middle and some layers orientated on 45°.

Look at some after market mini-Z chassis ... they are all 2mm, so scaling up would mean adding thickness as well. After all, when you make a CF chassis, you'd expect it to perform better than the standard chassis which is already 3mm (if I recal well from the last time I measured).

Believe me, I'm not trying to take you down, but discussion is the motor of a good forum!

Randelstevens
11-07-2005, 01:45 AM
if you know so much you make them!! we dont wont to. We just happend to have a few extras as long as we are still running the H8 and testing. If you dont like it dont buy it, but for gods saks please dont try to tell us how you think carbon chassis should be built. We know it works we know it wont fail we know that 3mm is tooooooooo thick and most important we know we dont care what you think!!!!!

build your own chassis with your infinite wisdom AND shut your cake hole! please

Smoothound
11-07-2005, 01:57 AM
build your own chassis with your infinite wisdom

I think if you actually read what he said he did :rolleyes:

Randelstevens
11-07-2005, 02:07 AM
I think if you actually read what he said he did :rolleyes:

So what does he feel the need to come show his mommy???? come on. freaking post it and tell ppl who wont to know about it. Somthing does not make sence hear eather way i rather he go peee on in his own yard

BitHed
11-07-2005, 06:34 AM
...Well Randel you might want to step back a minute and read what has been posted...There is NOTHING in this thread which makes your reaction 'understandable'...

...You obviously believe in your chassis and you feel its fine the way it is...Please just take the comments made as 'comments' and NOT a personal attack...They arent...They are realistic comments made by possible clients, some with more and some with less knowledge about this whole subject...It would be easier for all involved if we could all stay calm and in control ;)

...We are ALL interested in the evolution of this platform and ALL the different things that have come out from different vendors, even over the last few weeks...And there is still LOTS of fun things to come along so dont go blowing up on me yet mate ;) Stay frosty...

gulfclk
11-07-2005, 09:02 AM
Last thing I want to say about this ... read the last sentence of my post. I did not want to take you down, but just made my commands and shared my findings from the chassis I have been making (1/5th scale FG chassis, Micro RS4, Mini-Z, mini-Inferno, ...).

Like Bit said, comment can make a big difference in the development of products.

But, if this is the general feeling on this forum, I'm out of here ... never to return again.

BitHed
11-07-2005, 09:56 AM
...No Gulf its NOT the general feeling of this forum...And you know its not...Please dont take the 'reaction' of one member as that of the 'group'...

gulfclk
11-07-2005, 10:14 AM
...No Gulf its NOT the general feeling of this forum...And you know its not...Please dont take the 'reaction' of one member as that of the 'group'...
I do hope we never meet ... it might turn out as love at first sight. Although ... a smoking bunny with his head in his hands ... mmm ... I'll stick with my wife I think.

Did you get my mail on the 3R stuff?