PDA

View Full Version : 95% done.. and parts review

DrVonHoSS
10-27-2005, 12:37 AM
Ok.. its about 95% done. I finally got my stuff from Dinball. Since I had to sign for the package and I was at work I was forced to stalk the mailman. Its a long story but it involves me smoking tires on my Explorer, almost running over a garbage man and jumping out of the truck before putting it in park.. but thats another story.

Heres my opinion on the parts I received.

Manufacturers:

3Racing- I hate to admit it but they make the best hop up parts. All the 3Racing parts fit properly and looked good. The shocks looked like they might be a problem.. but after changing to a 2 hole piston and 20wt oil they are great.

GPM - I liked the look and finish of the parts.. too bad I had fitting issues will every GPM part I bought. The yellow alloy tie-rods look sweet but I guarantee they will be a problem. I'd probably still buy from this company.

SATO - No one seems to mention these guys but there parts are great. Finish was good and fit was perfect. Very happy!

Atomic - The only Atomic part I bought was a pinion... it didn't fit. I found that the plastic X-Ray pinions are a perfect fit on an AON motor. Gears seems a little noisy though. Come to think of it I also bought an upper graphite deck from Atomic but decided not to use it.

TopCad - What a disappointment!! There stuff looks great but absolutely did not fit. The only parts I bought by TopCad were the front and rear universals and neither fit. I tried putting the fronts on the rear and vice vera.. no good. Those will be the last items I buy made by TopCad.

Kyosho - The only aftermarket Kyosho part I bought were Tires/Rims. They look much better than stock but the compound seems a little hard.

Yeah Racing - I bought aluminum diff out drives from Yeah racing.. They are lighter than 3Racing's but definitely look weaker.. we'll see.

Sellers (some ebay - some website):

Dinball (ebay)- shipping was kinda slow but my order was 100% correct.

Rjblaisdell (The Toyz) (ebay)- This guy is located in the US and he ships super fast! In the future I will try and buy everthing from this guy.

Stella Models (ebay)- Shipping was faster than Dinball and my order was correct.

AON Electric (website)- My Mamba/AON motor showed up 2 days after placing my order.. very fast!!

Jandgstore (ebay)- I only ordered a few parts from this seller.. package arrived the same day as Dinballs.. a little slow.

Castle Creations (website)- My order is on backorder.. I have no opinion. I do like the fact that there stuff is made in USA.. thats a huge plus with me.

UnitedRC (website)- Im still waiting for my battery! I will be returning it as soon as it arrives. They may have a great product but I dont like to wait.

FX AEROMODELS (website)- These guys were great! I bought my Lipo from them. Answered all my questions on the phone and the package arrived after only 3 days. The woman only the phone sounded Chinese.. Loved her accent!! Very nice!

Fastener-Express (website) - I bought all my aluminum screws and nuts from this company. Ive dealt with them in the past and have never had a problem.

Well.. I didnt have time to make new battey straps but heres a pic..

http://members.aol.com:/drvonhoss/PPD.jpg

BitHed
10-27-2005, 01:06 AM
...Nice post Hoss...Your car is looking better each time i see it...good remarks on each of those manufactures, vendors and suppliers...UNFORTUNATELY PanicToys wasnt in there so i will have to remedy that at some stage ;)

...Have to agree with you on the 3R parts...Great stuff...

Hawk
10-27-2005, 01:21 AM
Although yellow and purple are not my favorites, I got to say your H8 is really looking great. I just wish I could say it is the one I built. Haven't gotten that far yet, too lazy I guess. Anyway, congrats on a job well done.

Stella, 3Racing, GPM I totally agree. I use Fastener Express (I love the Stackon boxes, I have four so far) and their products are excellent quality. I also use RCScrewz. I don't use anybodies Stainless Steel, only 12-9 or 10-9 alloy steel. I have learned to love black. I use them once and throw it away, use a new one next time. Not worth the trouble of trying to get it out with rounded hex heads. RCScrewz has conversion kits and I use those.
Beautiful car. :cool:

Ronny
10-27-2005, 05:26 AM
Doc :)

Sw-eeeeee-th ride, just what the doctor ordered ;) Tell me, who made that chassie, and where to get one :confused: Thanks in advance ;)

Ronny

bluegrooveracer
10-27-2005, 05:58 AM
hi doc i looks like we will be racing together sat nights indoor this winter with our show looking half eights [your is looking good] the 3 of us here at team bluegroove have the aon 4900 as well so we will be evenly matched it will be a blast, do you know if greg from universal is going to run with us? the only down side the track is only 44x32 so short for our fast cars, here is a link to your competion this winter http://www.one18th.com/6093Gallery.htm

pimpsmurf
10-27-2005, 12:57 PM
Sweet ride! I want one of those CF chassis! =)

Yeah, I've found the exact same thing when dealing with 3racing, topcad, and GPM. 3racing being the only ones who actually engineer, and don't just copy.

-JNY

DrVonHoSS
10-27-2005, 07:32 PM
hi doc i looks like we will be racing together sat nights indoor this winter with our show looking half eights [your is looking good] the 3 of us here at team bluegroove have the aon 4900 as well so we will be evenly matched it will be a blast, do you know if greg from universal is going to run with us? the only down side the track is only 44x32 so short for our fast cars, here is a link to your competion this winter http://www.one18th.com/6093Gallery.htm

BlueGroove...

Wow!! Great looking cars!! This winter is gonna be great. The 44x32 layout is bigger than it sounds.. but I doubt our HALF8s will hit 60 mph on the back straight. There is probably room for 70+ racers in the pit area and there will be a drivers stand - the track surface will be clay. We will probably be way over powered for this track.. but it will be fun! What are you guys planning on running for batteries?

In response to the posts about the chassis..

I talked to the guy at the machine shop today.. he doesnt seem real motovated and in the past ive found that money is the only thing that can motovate him. I will probably have him cut, drill, and counter sink the chassis and I will wind up making all the aluminum parts. I dont mind milling aluminum but I hate working with carbon fiber.. hate it! Im guessing the price will be on the high side and supply will be limited. Our local racers will be the first to receive chassis's and then we will start shipping to people on the internet who are interested.. I'll post when I know more.

DrVonHoSS
10-27-2005, 07:34 PM
Update.. I received the Lipo pack from UnitedRC today. Im very surprised by its size and light weight.. but unfortunately I will not be using this pack.

bluegrooveracer
10-27-2005, 08:04 PM
Neil we will be runing gp 1100's they have been so reliable in the past we tried lipo's with poor sucess they all vented i don't know if we drained them to low or the charge rate was right so we just went back to gp but i'm anxious to see how your does this winter it might inspire me to give them a try again. any word on the first race night

DrVonHoSS
10-27-2005, 11:26 PM
Neil we will be runing gp 1100's they have been so reliable in the past we tried lipo's with poor sucess they all vented i don't know if we drained them to low or the charge rate was right so we just went back to gp but i'm anxious to see how your does this winter it might inspire me to give them a try again. any word on the first race night

No luck with the Lipos huh? I had a couple Tanic Lipos I used in my Mini-T and never had a problem.. but I didnt use them much because the truck was tooo fast for racing! I suspect im going to have the same problem with my HALF8 but im hoping for the best.

Greg is planning on racing!! I think he will be running a Duratrax Vendetta. I know his band plays a lot on Saturday nights so im not sure if he will be there every week. If you ever get the chance - go see his band.. there awesome.

Fueller was talking about a test and tune night on Nov. 10th I believe.. the clay hasnt even been hauled into the building yet.. so I guess we'll see.

We will be working on the track this Sunday.

DrVonHoSS
10-27-2005, 11:35 PM
As far as this UnitedRC Lipo goes.. I was going to return it.. but.. if anyone wants it I will ship it for $40 and it will go in the mail ASAP! New, never used.
7.4v, 1570 mAH... nice pack but it wont work with my chassis layout. Email me if interested.. otherwise I'll mail it back to UnitedRC on Monday.

Check the specs on there webite.. this pack is small and lite!

My Email: drvonhoss@aol.com

DrVonHoSS
10-28-2005, 01:59 AM
I have a question...

I have an AON4900 motor and am having problems finding a good pinion gear. Basically the problem is that the shaft on the AON4900 is a smaller diameter than the stock motor. Ive found that the losi pinions fit but they use a super small set screw and I hate those gears for that reason. I also found that X-Ray M18 pinions fit perfect but the smallest they make seems to be a 13 tooth. I would like to try an 11 or 12 tooth pinion. Anyone know who makes the right gear?

BiGRoB21
10-28-2005, 02:11 AM
associatesd and robinson racing make some nice gears and they can be found on towerhobbies.com

BitHed
10-28-2005, 04:03 AM
..I have an Associated 14, stock with the 18T, but i have an issue with the LENGTH of the mesh ON the pinion...It doesnt fit properly...the BIG slipper gear ends up being half on half off...

...I use HPI MICRO RS4 pinions...yummy :cool:

bluegrooveracer
10-28-2005, 04:47 AM
neil do you know approx how far the track is from the queenston or peace bridge?

DrVonHoSS
10-28-2005, 10:40 AM
neil do you know approx how far the track is from the queenston or peace bridge?

I would say around 30 mins from the lewsiton/queenston.. its an easy drive though. 5 mins on the Thruway then 25 mins on RT31.

DrVonHoSS
10-30-2005, 02:19 AM
Bluegroove..
I just read your post about the Mini-T conversion kits. I had no idea you were making chassis's and other hop-ups.. thats awesome!! I cant wait to see this stuff at the track. :)

bluegrooveracer
10-30-2005, 02:36 AM
yes we are looking forward to it and maybe get a little exposure at the track where people can see it's real advantage over the mini t if they let us race our mini t buggies i hope

DrVonHoSS
10-30-2005, 03:17 AM
yes we are looking forward to it and maybe get a little exposure at the track where people can see it's real advantage over the mini t if they let us race our mini t buggies i hope

I was talking to Fuller tonight (FTR track owner) about classes. Looks like there will be a stock, monster truck, and unlimited classes. I see no reason why a 2wd buggy couldnt race against a 4wd buggy.. usually the 4wd would have a huge advantage.

bluegrooveracer
10-30-2005, 03:23 AM
thats sucks i thought they would have 2wd and 4wd classes maybe that will change when we see what shows up to race

theturd
10-31-2005, 04:52 AM
The shaft on the AON T2415-4900 is 2.0mm. That is the standard size shaft for speed 300/370 mabucchi motors. Open for suggestions...

BitHed
10-31-2005, 04:55 AM
...TURD how about putting on a UNIVERSAL 540-size shaft ;) Then we can have ALL the pinions in the world at our fingertips ;)

theturd
10-31-2005, 08:46 AM
540 size is 1/8" (3.17mm), yet many car mfgs does not standardize... There has got to be better universal solution.

Peace,
Steven Chao,
AON Electric

plain_simple
11-01-2005, 02:27 PM
Actually i dont see an option to get more universal then that but.. we never know

DrVonHoSS
11-01-2005, 10:49 PM
Well.. I shimmed the center diff (and ordered an atomic ball diff).

I ran the car at work today (indoors), we have 100 foot hallways and all the boses were in a meeting. This car was crazy!!! 0-60mph in 2 seconds easy!! I didnt burn out anymore gears and everything worked great. After work I took it to the machine shop (the guy who will be making the chassis's) and he talked me into running it outside (in the rain)... one of my rear universals (made by top cad) fell apart. I knew I should have gone thru the car with thread lock! Luckily, being a machine shop, we were able to make a new drive pin and the car is up and running again.

I used to have a MINI-T with a mamba brushless and 11.1v 800 mAh battery and it was fast but cogging was an issuse.. and the Mini-T itself didnt perform well with this setup. I was concerned about trying a brushless again when I bought my HALF8. I cant believe the difference 2 years make! The Mamba ESC and AON motor work PERFECT! No cogging and the throttle is very linear. I am very impressed! The Mamba25 ESC, AON4900 motor, and Thunder Power 11.1v 2100mAh battery are a great combination.

I would challange any 1/8th scale nitro buggy to race for "pink slips" in a drag race!! This car is crazy fast and very controllable.

I weighted my buggy the other day.. 866 grams - fully loaded and ready to race. Anyone else know the weight of there HALF8?

BLACKHAWK444
11-01-2005, 11:15 PM
Sounds great. I am still waiting for a bunch of parts for my H8. I will let you know the weight once I get it, but it is going to weigh a bit more than average due to the aluminum chassis.

BitHed
11-01-2005, 11:57 PM
...hoss can you weight it without batteries? I WAS at 840 battery-less at last weigh in...

DrVonHoSS
11-02-2005, 12:14 AM
...hoss can you weight it without batteries? I WAS at 840 battery-less at last weigh in...

724 without battery... or threadlock :)

I'd be surpirsed if your car weighed that much. I got all aluminum. Maybe the graphite and aluminum screws are saving me some.

DrVonHoSS
11-02-2005, 01:06 AM
Here are the most up to date pics. Pretty much done... I just want to work on a front brace (even though i dont think it needs one) and the LOGOs printed on the battery straps.

http://members.aol.com:/drvonhoss/PPF.jpg

http://members.aol.com:/drvonhoss/PPG.jpg

theturd
11-02-2005, 04:02 AM
wow, bling, bling, bling, bling........ wow. wonder how it handles on 4s:-) Just kidding.

plain_simple
11-02-2005, 10:55 AM
That looks damnnnn nice!!!! :cool: How did it felt riding it on the rain? Pretty funny hun?! ;)
Nice work... you and the guy on that shop got my thumbs up!

BitHed
11-08-2005, 02:26 PM
724 without battery.

...740 RTR with body, without battery...damn...back to the drawing board...Now where DID i leave that paper knife :p

morati
12-27-2005, 10:15 PM
Here are the most up to date pics. Pretty much done... I just want to work on a front brace (even though i dont think it needs one) and the LOGOs printed on the battery straps.

http://members.aol.com:/drvonhoss/PPF.jpg

http://members.aol.com:/drvonhoss/PPG.jpgWas wondering how you mounted the battery on your chassis in these pics?

bcuzau
12-28-2005, 06:03 AM
Hi Morati.

I think i can save Drvonhoss the trouble to answer that one again, since I got an answer in another thread(Near the bottom of this page) (http://halfeight.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1167&page=9&pp=10) .. They look good, I wanted a set too. but I've settled for Ultra-Mate Velcro directly on the batteries and chassis..

That is a one off. The battery straps actually take a lot of time to make. They cost around $1 in material.. but could easily take 2 hours to make.

The strap mounts (theres 4) are just a pain to make.. a lot of drilling and tapping of small parts.. fitting the rod in the center.. just a big pain.

And the velcro straps themselves are hand sewn and working with needles isnt really my thing. Most of you guys could make your own. It would take a lot of work and a lot of time.. but they worked great.

Good Luck.

theturd
12-28-2005, 07:13 AM
Nice job, it's a shame to have to cover all that up....

Joan
01-06-2006, 10:45 PM
I just d like to add the manufacturers review.
Fioroni-, I've purchased all the stuff from them, fits perfect!! and looks really good :) :) :).

pimpsmurf
01-06-2006, 10:59 PM
How much does the Aon and servo weight versus the battery? Also, is that a personal transponder? Very nice...

I'm guess I'm going to get a pitbull instead of the eclipse chassis because the good doctor is hunting a new shop. I guess if I mount it with the 3m dual lock I won't have to worry about heat transfering from the lipo to the aluminum. (Hot cells aren't as efficiant and may over discharge if the cool cell has enough voltage left to hide the lower voltage of the hot cells. phew.)

-JNY

theturd
01-06-2006, 11:25 PM
I heard from our sponsored pilots that COLD LiPo packs do not perform as well as ones which are slighly WARM (as opposed to HOT). Has anyone else have had this experience?

Anyone here from Thunder Power or LiPo mfg that can verify this "warm & fuzzy" notion?

Hawk
01-06-2006, 11:36 PM
"Unfortunately, the dry lithium-polymer suffers from poor conductivity. The internal resistance is too high and cannot deliver the current bursts needed to power modern communication devices and spin up the hard drives of mobile computing equipment. Heating the cell to 60°C (140°F) and higher increases the conductivity, a requirement that is unsuitable for portable applications."

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-5.htm

theturd
01-07-2006, 12:04 AM
So it is fair to say that our pilots/drivers actually felt the preferred operating temperature for the gel implanted into the cells... Should we also assume that the LiPo are less than optimal near freezing temperatature?

Sorry, not to mean to divert the atten of the wonderful review. (will not ask more question on the LiPo...:-)

Hawk
01-07-2006, 12:25 AM
"6. Dealing with temperature.
Lithium batteries like heat, but not too much. In the winter time, try to keep your batteries from the cold as much as possible. Leave them in the car while your flying, or keep them in your cargo pants... etc. At the same time don't let them heat up too much. Try to keep your batteries from reaching 160F after use. This will prolong the life of the cells. A good way to measure temperature is a handheld IR meter, they can be found for around $50.00 at most hobby shops. "

From:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209187