PDA

View Full Version : Shock Towers..Graphite or Aluminum?

MonoTuning
04-01-2005, 02:19 PM
Any Comments?

Icey.Apple
04-01-2005, 02:21 PM
Aluminum might be to heavy(?) but more rigid and Graphite is lighter but may break faster(?)

BitHed
04-01-2005, 02:34 PM
...Allloy...no more to be said...

chrille
04-01-2005, 04:28 PM
Alloy, absolutly! Looks way much nicer with alloy shock towers! :D Gonna buy as soon as i can aford them... I don`t have so much muney left now, bought the car, bearings, shox and the x-speed and i have 8 2/3A cells coming from rcmart!

RURC
04-01-2005, 05:44 PM
How about pressure die carbon ceramic, or Glass sphered polymered epoxy?The carbon ceramic is strong like aluminum with less than half the weight. Then the cost is very high. But the epoxy is extreamily stiff and strong but as heavy as aluminum but production costs ate about 1/3 the cost of aluminum and materal cost is less than carbon.

BitHed
04-01-2005, 08:36 PM
...i prefer balsa wood to all these new fangdangled-hard-to-pronounce names :D Please give me alloy...Im easy to please...

chrille
04-01-2005, 08:45 PM
Balsa wood....smart idea BitHead!! :D Gotta try that, think i got a 2mm thick piece of it in my garage! ;)

ruknd
04-01-2005, 08:48 PM
what about helium....that should save weight :p ...end of day friday is settign in...as is teh punchiness...and the desire to get to the track and race!

RURC
04-01-2005, 10:34 PM
Boy I guess this is not the place to get technical. I thought I was responding to MonoTuning and he might understand. Next time I will post the peridoc table so you can follow the bucky ball bounce while staring at dark matter pondering the existance of doG. BTW you have dislexia also (doG)

LOL :D

MonoTuning
04-02-2005, 06:16 AM
We are thinking about using 4mm graphite, which will be light and strong.
The car is already 900grams with 6AA, don't want to make it any heavier. :)

MonoTuning

RURC
04-02-2005, 02:56 PM
We are thinking about using 4mm graphite, which will be light and strong.
The car is already 900grams with 6AA, don't want to make it any heavier. :)

MonoTuning
Thus the reason for lighter electronics.

Just a reply to others that think that changing electronics is a waste of time and money.

BitHed
04-05-2005, 07:06 AM
...I never thought it was a waste of time or money...I NOW undrstand things more clearly and realise the pure benefits of lighter and smaller...(tail between my legs) :o

...Now that i can experience first hand the sheer weight of the MinFerno I am VERY concerned with swapping to alloy parts...I know for sure that i will break graphite...But the flex in the shock towers is alarming!!

...alloy shock towers for sure, personally not TOO worried about arms...carbon parts for the chassis for sure...Its going to be interesting to see how this all turns out...8 cells is VERY heavy...6-cells is heavy but acceptable...

...This is my theory...KYOSHO said the esc could handle 8-cells BEFORE they started fitting alloy parts...I think they might have blown their stock esc when FULL LOADED with alloy and 8 cells...That machine would be heavy indeedy...and thats why they made the 'last minute' battery protection unit...

...Alloy for stiffness where its needed...Carbon in PLATE form INSIDE the chassis...

chrille
04-05-2005, 04:43 PM
Think that ill buy the aloy shocktower this week, cause every time ill jump with the car and lands wrong you can almost see the shocktowers braking, almost! Scary! But it would not be wrong with a chassi in carbon! :P

RURC
04-05-2005, 06:39 PM
I have been very busy. Sorry it has been so long since last posting.

I will have photos up soon. I have been working on bracing for the fore and aft shock towers. Right now this is looking very good. Right now they are being made from aluminum dowels. I am looking into the aluminum and carbon parts comming but I have not been really impressed. So I am going my own way. I got the idea while staring at my old RC10 (gold aluminum tub) with the braces front carrier. It was very strong and resilant. With all the holes in the towers it is an easy mount. Also right now adapting Yokoma oil shocks from a 1/10 scale road car to the unit also. Let me know what you think. I will get photos as soon as I have time.

BitHed
04-05-2005, 07:07 PM
...RURC good to see you back...Your projects sound promising...I all for strengthening the towers mate...Keep at it...

...Interesting you mention the 1:10 sho because the size of the stock shox is so close to 1:10 anyway...They are really big...Keep us posted mate :D

Country Alloy Works
04-06-2005, 02:59 AM
Hello BitHed, just wanted to say you are doing a super job on the H8. I know the time you have put in, on all the Forums to date. Thanks for keeping all of us informed. As for CAW we get our H8 tomorrow and we are ready to rock and roll. Just watch the aluminum fly!!! CAW.

BitHed
04-06-2005, 03:21 AM
...CAW!! FINALLy you show up ;) Good to have you here...We have been waiting for you...Yep fire up the saw mills boys and show us what yer made of :cool:

Country Alloy Works
04-06-2005, 03:50 AM
BitHed, it will be our pleasure. I haven't seen a H8 up close until tomorrow. But I think from my stand point it will be our most intense full package. Not first off but I keep looking at that fake cyl. head. It has to go. HUM OS MAX anyone? CAW :cool:

RURC
04-06-2005, 12:03 PM
...CAW!! FINALLy you show up ;) Good to have you here...We have been waiting for you...Yep fire up the saw mills boys and show us what yer made of :cool:

God Bit. Fire up the saw mills? I dont know them but I think that CNC mill or even the CNC router. But the saw mill sounds like they work out of a shack in the hills of Mississippi runninf shine out the rear door. God its fun to tease you Bit. Because you can take it and you know that I love you man. Also I have sent you a email and I need your street address so I can send you a candy gram. I managed to loose it the last time you sent it. CAW (pronounced freindly "cow) did some great work with the Mini T stuff and this should be an equally great producer.

I was testing my new braces last night and rather smoothly pulled off some nice smooth 20 foot plus jumps with little to no deflection. It is almost as smooth as the B4 I am trying to compair it to in head to head comparisons. I figure if I can get very similar lap times as my fully blown B4 it will be doing very good. :D

gustav
04-06-2005, 02:03 PM
have anybody try to boil the shocktowers so they be tough .

Country Alloy Works
04-06-2005, 02:46 PM
Hello RURC, and BitHed. I guess I better explain a littleBit :) It doe's get cold in Oregon and rains alot. So we do have a roof on our shop and it even has a concrete floor!!! We don't saw :eek: our parts we kinda like to call it milling :) I also gave up the shine several years ago,and we had to get rid of the chickens because the Pitbull kept eating them :confused: Also RURC thanks for the info. on the (COW) I didn't know that but I like it. Our CAW logo is named after my Dad, and the CAW logo is our cattle brand. Our real job is farming, and the milling we do a a hobby that has grown into a full time job for me. Our goal is to simply make parts for our small customer base and to enjoy the RC Hobby along with the rest of you all. Thanks guys and talk to yu later BitHed.

crymynal
04-06-2005, 02:58 PM
Hey CAW...I searched online but could not find a website for you. Can you post or email me a link? I have several different types of vehicles and would like to see what you have to offer. Thanks

Country Alloy Works
04-06-2005, 04:44 PM
OK website for CAW is www.countryalloyworks.com You can email me there.Thanks CAW. :D

halfEIGHT
04-06-2005, 06:29 PM
Welcome to the Forums CAW! :)

Country Alloy Works
04-06-2005, 07:01 PM
Thank you halfEIGHT. We at CAW feel the H8 is here to stay, and we will try hard to take it to the next level, along with all of the help from this fourms input to us. We hope to have a shock tower set prototyped tonight, and run production tomorrow. CAW.

lukeita
04-06-2005, 09:47 PM
Wow! Waiting for photos of the prototype!
thanks for the news

Rcdriver
04-06-2005, 09:57 PM
Whoa that is quick CAW. Id like to see the final results. :)

RURC
04-06-2005, 10:34 PM
Hello RURC, and BitHed. I guess I better explain a littleBit :) It doe's get cold in Oregon and rains alot. So we do have a roof on our shop and it even has a concrete floor!!! We don't saw :eek: our parts we kinda like to call it milling :) I also gave up the shine several years ago,and we had to get rid of the chickens because the Pitbull kept eating them :confused: Also RURC thanks for the info. on the (COW) I didn't know that but I like it. Our CAW logo is named after my Dad, and the CAW logo is our cattle brand. Our real job is farming, and the milling we do a a hobby that has grown into a full time job for me. Our goal is to simply make parts for our small customer base and to enjoy the RC Hobby along with the rest of you all. Thanks guys and talk to yu later BitHed.

Hay we got more in common than you think. We mill for a living and farm for the fun of it. Now we had problems with the chickens and an Austraulin Shepard and we found a still out in the one of the old farm houses on the properity that has been vacant for aout 60 years. My dad said he had never known that that house was there.

What do you use for your design software. We generally use Ideas or SDRC. But we sometimes use Solidworks. We also use Fluent for hydro and areo anaylisis and some stress anaylisis.

See Bit I told you that thay were not hillibillys.

Country Alloy Works
04-06-2005, 10:47 PM
RURC we use BobCAD-CAM. That is all we use. CAW.

RURC
04-07-2005, 12:37 AM
RURC we use BobCAD-CAM. That is all we use. CAW.

Good old Clearwater Bob. They are just down the street from me (about 10 miles). Nice simple and clean system. The big diferance is that we need to create fluid surfaces and then goto tool path, not many programs do that.

BitHed
04-07-2005, 01:24 AM
...i use graph paper and a pencil :)

...I am SO looking forward to this stuff...

Country Alloy Works
04-07-2005, 02:40 AM
RURC are you planning on milling parts for the H8? I do not want to step on your toes if you are? You were here first. Let me know. CAW.

JuJuB
04-07-2005, 04:05 AM
can someone send me a link or something to the H8's exploded views???

BitHed
04-07-2005, 04:14 AM
...JuJuB would you please NOT post the same question FIVE times...it doesnt need to be done...

RURC
04-07-2005, 01:22 PM
RURC are you planning on milling parts for the H8? I do not want to step on your toes if you are? You were here first. Let me know. CAW.

No No No. I am only doing some things for me. Besides if I was I would invite the competation. Nothing gets things better than competation. I work in carbon fibre and ceramics only. I can do aluminum but it make too much noise when cutting. Carbon fibre and ceramics are nice and quiet. I have some od your stuff on one of my Mini T's. Got it from your friend in California. I can't remember his name right now. Good man though. If you need stress anaylsis let me know. We even do full wind tunnel models.

Country Alloy Works
04-07-2005, 02:23 PM
RURC, thanks. Hey I might take you up on the wind tunnel. We are going for 100MPH on a stock wheelbase mini t. When we get to 90MPH the car takes off with no control. We went to a all brass chassis with brass a arms for weight to hold it down. We also need a good wide body Corvette maybe to fit the TC3 wheels under but still keep it 1/18 scale. With the body and wheels on the car do you think the wind tunnel would be of any help to us?? :rolleyes: Thanks. CAW. www.countryalloyworks.com

RURC
04-07-2005, 04:14 PM
RURC, thanks. Hey I might take you up on the wind tunnel. We are going for 100MPH on a stock wheelbase mini t. When we get to 90MPH the car takes off with no control. We went to a all brass chassis with brass a arms for weight to hold it down. We also need a good wide body Corvette maybe to fit the TC3 wheels under but still keep it 1/18 scale. With the body and wheels on the car do you think the wind tunnel would be of any help to us?? :rolleyes: Thanks. CAW. www.countryalloyworks.com

Yes but do you have to use a realistic body. In the tests I have been doing there are much better shapes. I have been working on a 1/6 scale electric that we are planning to push to the 200 area. I have my Mini T now running almost to 70 and it is quite controllable. All things considered. I know that their is quite a speed differance in yours and mine but I have handled most of the driving issues with programming the electronics. If I can import your cad files I can fairly easily run some simulations. However if have to re address all the vectors that comes into a whole set of time issues.