PDA

View Full Version : Chassis Almost Done!!

DrVonHoSS
10-25-2005, 01:08 AM
heres a pic. almost done.. i just need to work on the battery mounts. i will probably use velcro straps and milled aluminum hooks.

im still waiting for my order from dinball.. its gonna be a lot of Ti and purple aluminum. i cant wait!!!

i bought a balancer for that lipo pack and im not really sure how it works..

i still have not driven the car.. im still waiting for my mamba link to show. i guess they are on back order. :(

just hope the diffs hold up.. im gonna be thrashing this buggy pretty soon.. i bet this half8 crushes my mini-t for speed and handling. :)
http://members.aol.com:/drvonhoss/PP7.jpg

Inferno454
10-25-2005, 02:50 AM
AWESOME!!! Looks very clean!

BitHed
10-25-2005, 03:26 AM
...looks SUPER sexy Hoss...Nice ride...can you get us close-ups of the parts you 'fabricated'? That way we can steal all your funky ideas ;)

mOOsE
10-25-2005, 03:43 AM
I believe the balancer is user to make sure each cell is at the same voltage before charging. LIPO's are so sensative that if one cell has 4volts and the other has 3.7, your total voltage will still be 7.7...even though one cell is nearly fully charged

plain_simple
10-25-2005, 04:27 PM
Yep, Mosse is right... Here in Europe they call it cells equalizer because what it does is to charge each cell that compose the pack at the exact voltage when you charge ir with the deviced plugged in.
That prevents the pack to wear out before time or to bubble while charging (if it bubble's you know what to do... get another one, because that one can get your house on fire if you recharge it! :mad:)
It's advised to do so between each 10 charges so you dont need to use it each time you charge your lipos.
Last advice on lipos: keep them on a closed aluminium case to hav the less possible oxigen near it. That can prevent a fire if something goes wrong with the pack... most of the times a fire like that happend, the pack that started it seemed perfect 30 minutes before and if thats not good at all if your near it, imagine what it will be if your not even around! :eek:

Edit 1: Thats an awesome cf chasis. Did you made it yourself?

DrVonHoSS
10-25-2005, 07:47 PM
Yep, Mosse is right... Here in Europe they call it cells equalizer because what it does is to charge each cell that compose the pack at the exact voltage when you charge ir with the deviced plugged in.
That prevents the pack to wear out before time or to bubble while charging (if it bubble's you know what to do... get another one, because that one can get your house on fire if you recharge it! :mad:)
It's advised to do so between each 10 charges so you dont need to use it each time you charge your lipos.
Last advice on lipos: keep them on a closed aluminium case to hav the less possible oxigen near it. That can prevent a fire if something goes wrong with the pack... most of the times a fire like that happend, the pack that started it seemed perfect 30 minutes before and if thats not good at all if your near it, imagine what it will be if your not even around! :eek:

Edit 1: Thats an awesome cf chasis. Did you made it yourself?

Thanks for the advice! I called Thunder Power and they basically said the same thing. I guess you can have this plugged into the pack while charging. Do you have much experience with Lipos? Im concerned with running offroad because Im sure the chassis will be slapping the ground pretty hard when landing off jumps. I enjoy playing with fire (Kcobello knows this) but only on my own terms.. I dont want this thing bursting into flames while im sleeping.

Thanks regarding the chassis.. yes I made it. I will try and take a few close up pics tonight.

I got 1 of my Dinball orders.. problem is it was an order placed on Oct 16th.. the order I placed Oct 14th (which has all the good stuff) has not arrived yet. :mad:

I will post more later tonight.

Hawk
10-25-2005, 07:53 PM
I run 2cell lipo for my receiver pack in our 1/8 buggy. I think it gets slappped around pretty hard. Very technical track with lots of elevation change and lots of jumps/tabletops and combos. No problems yet, I have been using them for several months now and I am quite satisfied. I will continue using them from here out. The lipo is mounted inside a Kyosho battery box with mostly the voltage regulator and servo wires providing padding. There is some foam too. :cool:

pimpsmurf
10-25-2005, 08:17 PM
Man... I want one! :D

Good Job.

-JNY

DrVonHoSS
10-26-2005, 12:30 AM
Ok... I need opinions. how should I mount the battery strap holders?

The Lipo pack will be held down with velcro on the bottom of the pack and 2 velcro straps will go between the mounting straps.

In the first picture the strap mounts mounting holes are facing away from the battery. This way allows the battery to be as low as possible and no chance of a mount damaging a cell.

In the second picture the mounts are reversed and sitting under the battery. This raises the battery by about 1mm can could - but theres almost no chance - damage the battery. The only advantage of mounting the mounts like this are looks. It makes for a cleaner chassis and doesn't scream "hey i was made in some dudes basement!!".

Any thoughts? Anyone?
http://members.aol.com:/drvonhoss/PPA.jpg
http://members.aol.com:/drvonhoss/PPB.jpg

mat3833
10-26-2005, 12:35 AM
i think either way is good, the lower CG is better tho. and if someone says it was homemade, then say go buy one for 50.00 and not get all the good stuff. any updates on production?

Matt

DrVonHoSS
10-26-2005, 12:41 AM
i think either way is good, the lower CG is better tho. and if someone says it was homemade, then say go buy one for 50.00 and not get all the good stuff. any updates on production?

Matt

No word yet. I havent heard from the machine shop. Im guessing the production version will not include the aluminum servo mount or battery straps... but I could be wrong. It took forever to design them and Im still not sure if I like them. I could just cut slots in the chassis and strap thru the bottom and wrap around the top. it would be easy and would save me from destroying more drill bits but the downside is that I will have straps on the bottom of the chassis.. which may not be a bad thing. Any thoughts on that?

mat3833
10-26-2005, 12:49 AM
i think it would be wrth it to make the batt holders. now you could sell the mounts uninstalled and let the pple mount them how they want. or you could just do the strap thing. any way you do it i think pple will but the chassi

Matt

BitHed
10-26-2005, 12:51 AM
...Second version...Get the legs out of the way ;)

...and dont knock the homemade look ;) For some of us NON-tech minded people thats all we can end up with :( It helps having the right tool for the job ;)

Hawk
10-26-2005, 01:15 AM
I say ship the mounts un-installed and let the receiver determine which way and where to mount them. There are other battery packs and dimensions out there. :cool:

BitHed
10-26-2005, 01:17 AM
...hoss I am very sorry but i am afraid i will just HAVE to steal this idea...This will OH SO solve some issues I am having ;)

...Agree with Hawk's comment...Ship them UN-attached...

DrVonHoSS
10-26-2005, 01:37 AM
...hoss I am very sorry but i am afraid i will just HAVE to steal this idea...This will OH SO solve some issues I am having ;)

...Agree with Hawk's comment...Ship them UN-attached...

For a production battery.. absoulutly! I am just trying how to mount my own battery. I just came up with a great idea!! I will try and make them tomorrow and post pics. Those mounts I made tonight are too large and look silly. I will make low profile mounts and use piano wire for the loop section (sounds cheesy but it will work and look great! I sure am glad I didnt drill holes and mount these tonight.. id be :mad:

BitHed
10-26-2005, 01:40 AM
..I have decided to do some mounts like this for my NIMH batts...This idea is so good but so easy i cant believe i didnt think of it before...I keep having my right side battery hit up against my rear drive cup from the center hub...and i dont want to use the battery 'doors' and I am having trouble mounting them on the top plate like i mailed you...YOUR idea is MUCH better :o

DrVonHoSS
10-26-2005, 01:43 AM
..I have decided to do some mounts like this for my NIMH batts...This idea is so good but so easy i cant believe i didnt think of it before...I keep having my right side battery hit up against my rear drive cup from the center hub...and i dont want to use the battery 'doors' and I am having trouble mounting them on the top plate like i mailed you...YOUR idea is MUCH better :o

You can have the mounts I made.. just email me your address and I'll ship.

BitHed
10-26-2005, 01:49 AM
...mailed you Hoss...I actually had one of my mails bounce back this morning but then you replied to it later on...If you dont get it LMK and I will repost through the mail system here...I owe you some gum ;)

plain_simple
10-29-2005, 08:46 PM
Ok... I need opinions. how should I mount the battery strap holders?

The Lipo pack will be held down with velcro on the bottom of the pack and 2 velcro straps will go between the mounting straps.

In the first picture the strap mounts mounting holes are facing away from the battery. This way allows the battery to be as low as possible and no chance of a mount damaging a cell.

In the second picture the mounts are reversed and sitting under the battery. This raises the battery by about 1mm can could - but theres almost no chance - damage the battery. The only advantage of mounting the mounts like this are looks. It makes for a cleaner chassis and doesn't scream "hey i was made in some dudes basement!!".

Use version 2... i agree with Bit.. lower cg and that way you wont have any problems with the supports ripping the cell protection when they are slapped around... I will email you soon regarding that chassis and battery holders.
Like Bit that will solve a lot of issues i'ma lso having and maybe finnaly i will try the rear motor H8 version.
That looks awesome man.. great job.
About lipos... if you got any more doubts just email me and i'll be happy to fill you in... plain_simple64@yahoo.com ;)

DrVonHoSS
10-29-2005, 11:50 PM
I have the battery strapping issue solved! This step took longer than the whole damn chassis! It works and looks great.. I will be 100% done in a few days and I'll post some pics.

plain_simple
10-30-2005, 10:51 AM
Nice, looking forward to see it... u got mail btw :D

DrVonHoSS
10-30-2005, 10:49 PM
Well.. I finally ran the car. I programmed the ESC to the radio and ran it. I had a horrible problem with cogging and my steering servo was reversed. Then I realized that I hadnt downloaded the new software or set up the cut off voltage. I did that and fixed the steering.

I ran it again.. this time the slipper was screaming.. so I tightened it up a little.. still slipped.. then locked it.

Once it was locked and the ESC was setup properly the car was insane fast. Then I started hearing a clicking sound.. before I know it the car isnt even moving.

Center diff was stripped. I knew it was sloppy before I ran it.. but I couldnt wait any longer. Luckily I have a spare center diff.. so its no big deal. What kind of shims do I need for these diffs? Does the AE shim set work on this car?

Anyways.. im very pleased with the performance. The car handled very well and like I said before.. stupid speed.. probably too much for racing but we'll see.

BitHed
10-30-2005, 11:47 PM
...from 0 to 60 in 2.5? LOL...from work bench to work bench in 5.6 ;)