PDA

View Full Version : Half-8 works well with the mamba?

pimpsmurf
10-24-2005, 04:32 PM
Hello everyone. I have just purchased a Kyosho Mini Inferno (came with oil shocks and a 7 cell pack), and a Mamba Competition (6800) ESC and motor.

I assumed that it would work, but now I am reading that I shouldn't use it for various reasons:
1) Heat - It gets too hot pushing the heavier weight of the MI
2) Size - it is too small and causes binding problems on the pinion gear
3) Pinion - the stock pinion gears won't work?

I am going to use the 7 cell pack for a bit, but plan to get a couple GP1100 6 cells to use on a dirt track, and at my house. I plan to use the hex adaptor at the house with on-road wheels (my LHS has HPI/etc wheels and tires in stock.)

Should I just sell the mamba and get a different motor? I don't mind unloading the motor super-cheap and picking up an AON T2415-4900 (seems to be recommended quite a lot)

Basically, my desire is to have a 30 MPH Mini Inferno with 15+ minute runtimes. Do I have my head in the clouds? My local off-road track is 1:10 and 1:8 oriented (ROAR). The 1:18 gives me something for the house that can handle the 1:10 size track because my Mini-Z monster is just too small. Another very important factor is hacking. I'm done hacking the crap out of 1:24-28th scale and I was looking for something a little less insanely time consuming. I'm hoping that the half-8 with some titanium/alloy will suit. Obviously the slipper and diffs need to go first, but I guess we will see.

Any informed input is very welcome, and thank you for the information I have already reamed from this forum so far. I just found it a few days ago, but it's GREAT! =)

*EDIT* I just got off the phone with Troy at B-P-P.com and he said there are new motors coming in (The Aon motor, warp 4 motor, and another motor that they are testing now.) He said that he is really impressed with the motor they are testing, and with the warp 4 or whatever motors. The new motor has a heatsink built in all the way around! =)

He said the best mamba setup they could find was the Mamba Performance motor with a 3 cell lipo. Extremely fast with 15 minute (hard-running) runtimes on a 3 cell 1320 lipo, and they stayed much cooler than the 6800. I'm thinking that I need to change my motor to one of the other 3. I don't really want to hack the crap out of it, but wouldn't mind a little cutting to get it in. Hopefully someone has some useful input.

Thanks!
-JNY

mat3833
10-24-2005, 06:08 PM
i have a 5400 i could trade you for your 6800 if you want. it has been ran like 8-10 times or about 4 full packs. it still has the sticker on it. i havent had any heat problems with it even without my fan on. i could use the 6800 because i need some more speed to clear some jumps on the track i run at. if you are interested let me kno.

Matt

mat3833
10-24-2005, 06:09 PM
oh and i forgot to mention, i am using the m18 pinions and they work great, i have a 13 tooth on now.

Matt

pimpsmurf
10-24-2005, 08:49 PM
I'm actually pretty sure I want to use the AON 4600, but I'm going to wait 2 weeks and see what troy thinks of the new motors he is testing.

My thing is I want to use NM packs, and have about 15 minutes of runtime because I want to get 2 packs and charge one and run one. That way one is almost ready by the time I've run the first out of juice.

I'm shying away from lipo power because I don't want to be charging for 2 hours with a little longer runtime. :(

I think I'll stick with the mamba 25 ESC for a while unless that new ESC everyone is talking about is actually worth the change. I'm not really interested in balls-to-the-wall topspeed as much as I am being fast enough with a 6-8 cell NM. My 1:10 scale track is kind of small with 1 table top, 1 tripple, and 1 roll + double. Basically, I'd like to keep up with the 1:10s when everyone is just messing around in the morning before races.

I hear there are problems with using a mamba, where-as an AON is a perfect fit. Being brand new to the platform (my mini inferno is still in the mail), I'm not sure what I need to do. I'm going to stay stock until I get my servo/reciever (obviously), but plan on doing only *NEEDED* upgrades to it (3racing diffs when they come out, 22pc ball bearings, drivetrain, etc)

OK, it seems that the pinions I need would be a 12-14 tooth pinion (like for the rc18t). I would definately want higher topspeed because my track is 1:10th scale. I don't think that is really possible with the mamba unless I use lipo power.

-JNY

mat3833
10-24-2005, 09:28 PM
ok thats cool, keep us posted on the motoe tests.

Matt

BitHed
10-25-2005, 12:29 AM
...thats interesting that you mention these 'new' ones have a heatsink built in...We have just had some no-brand' asian BL motors show up here and I have been putting off fitting one but I am beginning to see a pattern now ;) I will check it out...Keep us posted on what you hear from Castle...

pimpsmurf
10-25-2005, 12:26 PM
yeah, I think that's it (no name brand), and it was suppose to be pretty good. I've pretty much decided on the AON 4900 with 2 NM packs and 1 11.1 lipo. =)

Can't wait for those 3racing BB Diffs!

-JNY

Rob L
10-27-2005, 11:52 PM
I burned up the bearing on my 6800 due to excessive heating of the motor. I switched to the Hacker motor and it's been awesome.

mat3833
10-28-2005, 12:07 AM
wow... id look into ceramic bearings.

Matt

pimpsmurf
10-28-2005, 01:23 AM
I had already bought the mamba when I realized my error. I already had the b-p-p.com mamba heatsink and 48 pitch pinions on the way too, so I guess I will stick with it for a while, although I ordered the 11, 12, and 13 tooth pinions. whoops. I guess I'll run the 11 tooth for a while and do my suspension/chassis/etc upgrades. Then get an Aon and sell the mamba used for $25 or so. The 12/13 tooth pinions will be good for the Aon (provided they are the right pitch, as troy@b-p-p.com assured me) and don't require too much funkyness. I'm allergic to funkiness.

Anyway this is what I have so far:
RTR w/
Kyosho oil shocks (will be 35wt front, 40wt rear)

3racing: Wheel hub adaptors w/ pins, Hub Bearing set, Front upper mount

CC Mamba Comp (6800kv) ESC and motor w/ castle link cable

HPI Pirelli Rally Tire 26mm (4x D, 4x S compounds) on HPI white mesh wheels. Soft tires with HPI hard/rounded pro foam, hard tires with HPI soft hard/rounded pro foam.

Novak XXL AM 27 RX w/ HG85MG servo (should have got the 81MG, whoops might get one anyway since it's not very expensive)

What I'm on getting ASAP:
2x 8cell United RC GP1100 packs (perhaps a 3 cell UnitedRC lipo after I get the Aon)
Aon 4900kv ( Team Associated12 & 13 tooth pinions if needed )
Kyosho Front and Rear Spring set for oil dampers
Carbon fiber chassis when they are available
3Racing titanium center shafts
3Racing BB diffs (x3) when they hit
3Racing Titanium Turnbuckles
3Racing Titanium Suspension Shaft Set
3Racing Titanium Torque Rods
3Racing front and rear swing shafts
3Racing front and rear anti-roll bars
3Racing alloy motor mount
3Racing Wing mount
3Racing 20 & 22 front hubs w/ C Hubs
3Racing rear hubs
3Racing titanium ball ends w/ 3Racing Ball End Set
Kyosho titanium slipper gear shaft
Proline Crimefighters w/ proline wheels.

Anyone with input on things to get/avoid please feel free to chime in. My knowledge on the half-eight is restricted to what I've learned in this forum for the most part. I'm learning things by the minute! :)

-JNY

pimpsmurf
10-28-2005, 01:24 AM
I burned up the bearing on my 6800 due to excessive heating of the motor. I switched to the Hacker motor and it's been awesome.

Where you using a heatsink on the motor? What kind of batteries?

BTW, I think my original question has been answered. hehe

http://www.monstertruckfieber.de/MINI-Inferno/brushless/infernomamba.wmv

-JNY

pimpsmurf
10-28-2005, 05:16 PM
Yeah! MY LHS hadn't ordered the servo yet, so I was able to change to a HS81MG!!! Happy days.

-JNY

pimpsmurf
10-28-2005, 10:05 PM
nope. I was lied to! stuck with the HS85MG! haha :)

I noticed I left out 3racing alloy front and rear shocktowers. *gasp*

-JNY