PDA

View Full Version : hop-ups?!?

sikntired
10-23-2005, 02:27 PM
OK before everyone flies off the handle and tells me to do a search, let it be known that I have and to little success! Most of the posts w/ info that I want/need are interupted w/ offtopic chatting thus making them pages and pages and pages!!!!! I will only ask this one time and one time only (I promise!), and that is it I wont start thread after thread to get answers I will make sure I ask everything I can think of now and here!
I have just ordered 3racing shocks, and would like to know what other aluminum parts I should consider?! Such as, motor mount, center diff. plates (holder?), dogbones, outdrive cups, etc.!? What are the ones more needed then others? Also what about diffs.? As I have seen the only ones I can even find are the Atomic ones and I have heard some horror stories w/ those so I am concerned they are even worth the $, there is no way I am keeping the stock diffs., they are exactly like those found in a trinity spyder and I dont even want to remember that truck!!! I guess plainly put what are the top hup-ups for this little thing! If it helps any I wont be running a BL setup.

thanks
ron

WeatherB
10-23-2005, 05:27 PM
Based on my experience you need these:

1. Aluminum shock towers
2. Aluminum knuckles
3. Aluminum c-hubs

sikntired
10-23-2005, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the reply!
How about center shafts and axles? Also I know I keep bringing up the diffs. in every post I make but I honestly dont know what to do w/ them!? Leave them stock and hope for the best, add grease (maybe white lithium?) or get the atomic ones!! I truly do appreciate all the help w/ this thing!! I am leaving sitting in the box untill I can figure out whether or not its going to be something I want to continue w/ or trade/sell off!

thanks

BLACKHAWK444
10-23-2005, 07:48 PM
Wait for the sealed ST diffs. They will fix all your diff. issues....

DrVonHoSS
10-23-2005, 09:33 PM
I have not even run my HALF8 so my advice is only based on what I see on the car. I actually bought every single aluminum hop-up made (before I even had the car) and realized that I didnt need half of them. Heres what I'd get if I was going to do it over again and was on a budget..

-The items mentioned by WeatherB.
-Aluminum Motor Mount
-Aluminum Steering Assembly
-Aluminum Out Drives For The Stock Diffs.
-All New Electronics (but I dont think you "need" too)

The items I mentioned above would be nice things to have.. but not 100% needed.

When I first opened the box my HALF8 came in I wasn't too surprised. These companies seem to make these 1/16th and 1/18th scale cars as cheap as possible then companies like 3Racing make a fortune selling hop-ups. This car is basically a Mini-T (quality wise) with a lot more potential. I also hope that the diffs can handle the hurtin' im gonna be dishing out. Oh..BTW.. I got the aluminum center diff mount and it seems to have "freed up" the center diff.. its a lot smoother now... but sealing the gears from dirt may be an issue to deal with.

Thats my take on it.

sikntired
10-23-2005, 10:38 PM
Thanks again guys!
I have heard from a couple guys locally that the st (and or parts) wont be available till early-mid December!?! I really didnt want to wait that long to get this thing going!!
I am actually thinking of selling the car! :( I dont want to deal w/ the whole parts market, basically if its not on ebay and located in the US I will be waiting weeks (literally!) for parts, hop-ups, etc.!! Again I do appreciate you guys taking the time to help me out!!
Now I just have to figure out a price! :confused:

thanks
ron
caged_mma@yahoo.com

DrVonHoSS
10-23-2005, 10:45 PM
If you order after market parts... try and order from this guy. Super fast shipping and a great person to deal with!!!!

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZrjblaisdell

BLACKHAWK444
10-23-2005, 11:02 PM
Um...The stock diffs can be used, you know..... ;)

mat3833
10-23-2005, 11:03 PM
yea i am using mine w/ a mamba 5400 on 8cells. lipo will be coming next.

Matt

sikntired
10-23-2005, 11:38 PM
The stock diffs remind me way to much of the trinity itsy bitsy spyder, and I dont want to relive that nightmare!!! I put her up for sale and am going to go w/ the mini I originally wanted. Thanks again for all your help and advice w/ the buggy, in the end it seems like the best thing to do is sell!

mat3833
10-23-2005, 11:40 PM
the diffs work fine, the only one that is kinda funky is the center one. sorry to see you leave so soon.

Matt