PDA

View Full Version : Pinion Gears

DrVonHoSS
10-22-2005, 02:45 AM
I realized that the shaft on the stock motor is thicker than the shaft on the AON4900.. what are you guys using for pinion gears with the AON motor? I ordered a 12 tooth 3 Racing gear.. will this fit the AON4900 properly?

I noticed that the junk pinions I have for the MINI-T are a perfect fit.. too bad losi used those tiny set screws that strip out so easy. :(

BitHed
10-22-2005, 02:48 AM
...popular choices are AE pinions for the 18t and then HPI MICRO RS4 pinions...The STOCK motor shaft is 2.3mm and the AON is 2mm...

DrVonHoSS
10-22-2005, 02:52 AM
...popular choices are AE pinions for the 18t and then HPI MICRO RS4 pinions...The STOCK motor shaft is 2.3mm and the AON is 2mm...

Thanks! I will check my LHS for those pinions. What do you run for a motor/battery? And how many teeth? I've read that 12 tooth is the way to go.

BTW, u live in Tokyo?? Very cool.. id love to visit there.. as soon as they build a bridge cuz a flight that long would kill me! :eek:

BitHed
10-22-2005, 02:58 AM
...motor I run an AON 4900, 12t HPI pinion but will run 13 when i find one...HPI is easier for me to get than AE; plus i like the cut of the pinion...its LONG and cylindrical, its not cut like a mushroom...I think Ronny is running 13t...I personally wont go higher than that because i like TWO cups of torque in the mornings...

...I use UNITED RC 8 cell and 10 cell packs...TWOx 8 cell packs are my USUAL food sources...I only use the 10 cell when there are girls watching or beer up for grabs...

...KYOSHO motor mount...TITTY mounting screws all around...

..yup...TOKYO...THE RC shopping capital of the world ;)

DrVonHoSS
10-22-2005, 03:30 AM
...KYOSHO motor mount...TITTY mounting screws all around...

I was planning on using all anodized aluminum screws and nuts... except for the shoock mounts. Bad idea??

BitHed
10-22-2005, 03:38 AM
...Nope...good idea :D I am a self-professed weight weenie :o I like 'light'...lol...I have been to the clinic and undertaken counseliing and I am slowly coming to grips with the fact that everything doenst HAVE to be feathery :rolleyes:

mrfixitt
10-22-2005, 10:05 PM
It Doesnt???

mat3833
10-22-2005, 10:54 PM
hey bit, what tity screws are you using? i am using the stock mini t screws... :( i kno shame on me i should have got better ones.

Matt

Ronny
10-23-2005, 02:32 PM
I was planning on using all anodized aluminum screws and nuts... except for the shoock mounts. Bad idea??

BAD idea!! (sorry bit :( )

Alum.screws are JUNK if you put them the wrong place OR use loctite!
Belive me, go for titan screws if your lightning your ride. And don't use anything else!!!!!then STEEL screws for the shocks TOP-mounting. When you break a alum.screw, you know why I'm telling you this :rolleyes:

DrVonHoSS
10-23-2005, 07:16 PM
BAD idea!! (sorry bit :( )

Alum.screws are JUNK if you put them the wrong place OR use loctite!
Belive me, go for titan screws if your lightning your ride. And don't use anything else!!!!!then STEEL screws for the shocks TOP-mounting. When you break a alum.screw, you know why I'm telling you this :rolleyes:

I hear yah. I usually only use aluminum screws for things like mounting radio gear (not the servo) and stuff like that. I like the bling effect you get with the anodized screws! :)

mat3833
10-23-2005, 07:25 PM
ronny or bit, since im not realy a weight weenie i was thinking about using stainless steel all around, accept the motor which i want to be tity. is this a bad idea? what are the main places that need steel? i am still looking for the tity screws tho...

Matt

DrVonHoSS
10-23-2005, 09:44 PM
ronny or bit, since im not realy a weight weenie i was thinking about using stainless steel all around, accept the motor which i want to be tity. is this a bad idea? what are the main places that need steel? i am still looking for the tity screws tho...

Matt

I'd watch out when it comes to SS screws. I bought a set from RC Screws and they were absolute garbage!

I buy most of my screws from https://www.fastener-express.com/index.asp . This place has fast shipping and almost any RC screw you could ever need.

BitHed
10-24-2005, 01:09 AM
...apologies for the half-assed post...Admittedly titty screws for top shock mounts is just INVITING disaster...I have switched back to CAW steel ones...I will just have to swallow that bitter after taste of 'added' weight...Pretty much screws in other NON-IMPACT spots have all been titty-converted...I am still using stock 2.6 screws in the bottom of the chassis :o

...I have put the STOCK screw list up on the FAQ and I am working on listing what I am using just for reference...

mat3833
10-24-2005, 05:54 PM
do you have a part# for the caw steel screws? i am thinking about making a quick-change shock mount. like drill the mounting holes a little bigger so the screws slide in. then i will have to use a screwdriver to tighten the shock nuts, but im tired of taking like 20 min to change one shock mounting position!!

Matt

BitHed
10-24-2005, 11:51 PM
...the CAW screws come with their alloy mounts so no part # for them really...If your tower is threaded just lightly run a 3mm bit through it to get rid of the threads and you are good to go...Been there done that :cool:

mat3833
10-24-2005, 11:54 PM
lol, i will do that! no more hour to change my mounting!

Matt

pimpsmurf
10-28-2005, 02:18 AM
I bought stainless steel screws for my XXX-NT on ebay, and they sucked BAD! I'll never again use them for anything... At least not from that guy. I dig titanium screws on my MZM, although it is more of a on-road dragster.

I would bet titanium screws holding on alloy parts would invite disaster.

-JNY